Author Topic: Battle Background Reconstruction Project  (Read 8581 times)

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
Battle Background Reconstruction Project
« on: 2010-06-07 22:52:56 »
As the title states, this is another fairly large project like the WMRP. With a solid direction for the field files, it only makes sense that the battle fields should follow suit as well. For now, this thread can be a discussion of what works, what doesn't, what looks good, yadadada. I think an open discussion will help get some legs on this portion of TAs full upgrade of FF7.

Sadly, at the moment i am without a PC, so i can only play devils advocate at this point. SL1982 said Timu has got something in the works, so i'd love to hear what has been discovered thus far. We have seen that simply re-texturing the originals produces some so-so results, and IMHO i think full remodels are the way to go. I have modeling experience, and since the battle models are basically empty squares, i would not have any trouble mass creating a bunch of small environment. Textures are also a non-issue, though i guess most of you already know that.

Just want to get the ball rolling, we would also stick to the same model as the field files, start at the train scene and work from there. It doesn't seem like to much of a stretch to maintain an even pacing between the 2 projects, and the battle models seem much easier than recreating the field scenes.

Enough of my blabbering, feel free to discuss what ever relevant information you may have, or any theories as to what may or may not work. Screens or paint drawings are welcome if they help you get the point across.

STAY ON TOPIC OR DIE!

Lee

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Background Reconstruction Project
« Reply #1 on: 2010-06-07 23:18:33 »
Just to let you know this is a part of Project Bombing Mission. Any battle scenes contained in this area will be redone with the rest of the project.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-06-08 05:01:56 »
okay well he's my little run down

This is the original scene, nicely imported to blender. The useful thing we can keep from this is the floor. the rest lacks detail and definition. (the big reason not to change the floor texture is because the mesh gets modified by summons etc i think, and overall its fine to leave flat.

This is a portion of the scene i remodeled (not textured yet). It hasnt been tested yet, but i imagine we can replace these things as we replace parts of battle models. if so then for the non ground/skybox elements, we model, uv, texture like normal, and let obesebear get it ingame :P

Another shot for your pleasure

For the ground texture, which is what the masses can easily jump into, as they are already made, just need to be rez'd up. For the above image, i took the original, and used the texture filter on different segments. for the green road i used the brick texture, (i think also made a vector of the base colors underneath) for the white sidewalk thing i use another brick texture, and for the dirt i used one of the others, something like sand. All these filters are done on a smoothed out color base.

For the touched up version (which i over did so it looks kinda washed out) i got hold of some grunge brushes, particularly splatter shapes, and scrapes/holes, and using largely white or black of different opacities, just spammed them everywehre :P

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-06-08 05:50:53 »
Hey PyrozenI'll be sending that pc tomorrow :) I also figured out you can just hook it up to a vga monitor, so no worries on the screen fix.

Anyway I will soon get to work on this, me and the wife had a massive fight last night, and still trying to recover, so havent done anything at all since then(which still amounts to next to nothing total)But I definately will put my efforts into full swing as soon as I get everything straight. Until then I'll be away(only a day or two hopefully) but expect to see some work started as soon as I get back.

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #4 on: 2010-06-08 12:06:31 »
this is great, if there are more texures like opac i can do those.. let me know what ones would be good for me todo.

also pyrozen , if u need that ram just send me a pm, with some info i'll mail it to you. (1GB ddr2 stick for laptop)

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010-06-08 14:17:01 »
When replaceing field textures with higher detailed ones with less blur and running at 1920x1080 there are VERY noticable effects where the textures fit together, hell most of the original filews look plain ugly with all the extra detail I have, the frostvite cave in great glacier looks like a tile floor that had diff tiles for each tile, it was horrible, made me want to have my screen blurry again lol.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-06-08 19:17:06 »
awesome work timu, im glad that the process for getting them out and modifying them is fairly straight forward. Seem like the worst part is the UV mapping, which is always a pain.

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010-06-09 19:40:46 »
Timu is that what your going with?Or are you gonna do a lot more work to it?I know it was hard doing those lanes of bricks one by one but they seem jumbled in some places.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010-06-09 20:11:39 »
i'm not actively workin on it, it was more experimentation at the time. one of the bigger problems was that we need it to be at 2048x2048 :P

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010-06-09 20:12:37 »
why so large?

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010-06-09 23:01:11 »
cause it will look great!

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010-06-10 04:24:45 »
given how big the planes that are the floors are, any smaller looks pixelated.

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2010-06-10 13:20:34 »
I would like to add that summon effects and the like actually render the floor texture flat on the screen, grab whichever area is needed and use that as a new texture. So, in short, changing them to your hearts content should not mess up this process.