Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Multiple mods and Modding Framework-The Reunion [R06f]  (Read 3007987 times)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Multiple mods - The Reunion (R05c)
« Reply #3525 on: 2017-03-30 11:20:45 »
It tells you in the readme not to alter the name screens when using that option.  The problem is you can add The Reunion at any point.... so adding the option to any game that isn't from the start will be broken anyway.  It's an option that needs to be used with caution. I'll make it clearer.

The problem is that without a custom installer, there is no real way to customize it.  It just has to be the default names or bust.

ThunderPeel2001

• View Profile
« Reply #3526 on: 2017-03-30 12:38:28 »
Is Red XIII called just "Red" in Beacause? I didn't realise, he's still listed as Red XIII in the Database.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3527 on: 2017-03-30 13:55:23 »
Is Red XIII called just "Red" in Beacause? I didn't realise, he's still listed as Red XIII in the Database.

He is Red XIII unless you use the fixed name option.  In which case, I've made it Red.  Otherwise you get a very annoying and verbose "Red XIII" for every single mention. I tend to believe that you'd call someone you know Red in casual chats, and not Red XIII.

Matski

• View Profile
« Reply #3528 on: 2017-03-30 21:18:00 »
I have no problem with Red's renaming. The XIII part of his name seems to cause more confusion than its worth, with players sometimes believing that Red is a Sephiroth clone due to his number tattoo. While it does get mentioned during the game, it probably would have been simpler just to leave it out Red's design altogether.

-----

Stumbled across a possible bug. I am having trouble accessing the checklist to see if it is listed, so apologies if it is already on there:

I'm finding that the music stops as the line, "Hey, Wake Up. Wake Up {CLOUD}!" pops up while Cloud is sleeping/talking to his real personality, after saving Priscilla in Junon. The music then briefly starts again when the box is closed though as this is the last line of dialogue in the sequence in ends as soon as it starts up. Does this happen to anyone else and if so is it done on purpose?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3529 on: 2017-03-30 22:37:39 »
This is not related to Reunion. This thread is for Reunion bugs, not general bugs.  Generally, anytime music has an issue, it is not my fault.  But next version will use my sound replacement, which will likely fix most of these issues anyway. 
« Last Edit: 2017-03-30 22:39:16 by DLPB »

ThunderPeel2001

• View Profile
« Reply #3530 on: 2017-03-31 09:03:22 »
He is Red XIII unless you use the fixed name option.  In which case, I've made it Red.  Otherwise you get a very annoying and verbose "Red XIII" for every single mention. I tend to believe that you'd call someone you know Red in casual chats, and not Red XIII.

Makes sense. Do you do the same for Cait Sith, too?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3531 on: 2017-03-31 14:07:24 »
No, since Cait Sith is actually not a first / second name - or redundant ID.  Still, it is grating. I guess that one needs changing to Cait. Since it means 'cat' anyway, I guess it works.

Cait Sith basically means "Cat Fairy"

http://www.arts.gla.ac.uk/ScotLit/ASLS/SWE/TBI/TBIIssue6/Sith.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_s%C3%ACth

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/cait

Also note that the pronunciation is "kite/ket [somewhere in-between I am told] Shee" - for those doing voice overs :P  That's why the kana comes out as:

ケット シー (Ketto Shī)

It's gaelic.

« Last Edit: 2017-03-31 14:16:36 by DLPB »

Matski

• View Profile
« Reply #3532 on: 2017-04-01 07:50:28 »
This is not related to Reunion. This thread is for Reunion bugs, not general bugs.  Generally, anytime music has an issue, it is not my fault.  But next version will use my sound replacement, which will likely fix most of these issues anyway.

Normally I wouldn't assume it was a Reunion Mod error based on the music alone but it seemed to stop and start again when a particular text box appeared during the scene.

You're right though. I've rechecked it without mods and it's actually a bug in the game (or at least the Steam version) rather than the mod. Apologies for bringing it up here.
« Last Edit: 2017-04-01 11:11:25 by Matski »

ThunderPeel2001

• View Profile
« Reply #3533 on: 2017-04-02 02:29:28 »
No, since Cait Sith is actually not a first / second name - or redundant ID.  Still, it is grating. I guess that one needs changing to Cait. Since it means 'cat' anyway, I guess it works.

Cait Sith basically means "Cat Fairy"

http://www.arts.gla.ac.uk/ScotLit/ASLS/SWE/TBI/TBIIssue6/Sith.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_s%C3%ACth

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/cait

Also note that the pronunciation is "kite/ket [somewhere in-between I am told] Shee" - for those doing voice overs :P  That's why the kana comes out as:

ケット シー (Ketto Shī)

It's gaelic.

Holy cow. That's some deep references by the developers!
« Last Edit: 2017-04-03 23:25:43 by ThunderPeel2001 »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3534 on: 2017-04-02 15:22:42 »
Indeed.  And now you know why he has a Scottish accent.

ThunderPeel2001

• View Profile
« Reply #3535 on: 2017-04-05 14:14:32 »
Hi DLPB, I've updated my Steam mod to now point to Beacause instead. I think your mod supersedes mine.

That said, I know there's going to be people asking me if XBox 360 icons can be added to your mod (people have already asked me before). The XBox controller layout is pretty much defacto for PC gaming, so I understand why people would want it. Is this something you might consider adding? I can assist with the icons if need be.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3536 on: 2017-04-05 14:27:46 »
If the icons are placed onto the game texture and use the same font spacing as the one I already have, I'm fine adding it.  Ilducci made some custom ones for me.  The limited palette means it will look FF7-like in terms of graphics. I won't support the modpath for them since I now use my font texture for numerous other chars.  You'd have to add yours to mine - and it would require being made from scratch if you haven't already made them texture based and also to fit my font spacing.

ThunderPeel2001

• View Profile
« Reply #3537 on: 2017-04-05 14:49:27 »
If the icons are placed onto the game texture and use the same font spacing as the one I already have, I'm fine adding it.  Ilducci made some custom ones for me.  The limited palette means it will look FF7-like in terms of graphics. I won't support the modpath for them since I now use my font texture for numerous other chars.  You'd have to add yours to mine - and it would require being made from scratch if you haven't already made them texture based and also to fit my font spacing.

Cool. I think I understand what you're saying. I'm happy with keeping them in the same style as the PS ones you currently use. I guess I would just need to make my own version of your font, with the PS controller characters changed to XBox ones (all fitting within the same boundaries).

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3538 on: 2017-04-05 15:16:44 »
I have no idea how to edit texture files.  I simply guided Ilducci as he made the icons. He does all the editing with that side of things.  Definitely contact him, as he has all the working photoshop files he used for editing too.

Matski

• View Profile
« Reply #3539 on: 2017-04-09 13:53:42 »
At the Golden Saucer, after passing the Keystone onto Zeng, Cait Sith says to Cloud and his date:

Quote from: Cait Sith
But we're no entirely enemies."

Is this meant to be "But we're not entirely enemies."?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3540 on: 2017-04-09 14:04:31 »
No, it's Scot.  I did actually bring this up with Prince Lex that it would be seen as "no" and not "not". I intended making it no'  - but this seems to be incorrect for written Scot.

Saying that, I see people using "nae" for not.  So I may need to being this up with him again.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/nae
« Last Edit: 2017-04-09 14:18:06 by DLPB »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3541 on: 2017-04-09 15:21:08 »
I've also started to save the sound files.  The looping ones are a pain.  I am up to 100.  Only... around 600 to go. haha.

Matski

• View Profile
« Reply #3542 on: 2017-04-10 13:27:08 »
Keep up the top work. Really looking forward to seeing R06 in action.

Saying that, I see people using "nae" for not.  So I may need to being this up with him again.

I can get behind this change.

Its understandable that you want Cait Sith's lines to be read with a scottish accent in mind. To those not familar with the accent, it is more likely be seen as a typo as it is currently. If only to stop anyone else questioning it again, it may be wise to change it using your solution.
« Last Edit: 2017-04-11 07:50:53 by Matski »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3543 on: 2017-04-18 16:13:28 »
179 out of 730 done....

Getting more efficient now too.  Looping isn't an issue anymore thanks to software aid.

Matski

• View Profile
« Reply #3544 on: 2017-04-18 19:16:42 »
Just to check: is materia meant to have the same form in both the singular and plural?

Jotaro

• Star Platinum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3545 on: 2017-04-18 19:22:23 »
Yes.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3546 on: 2017-04-18 20:12:26 »
Nope. I use materia like diamond.

There are lots of diamonds. There are lots of materias.
Diamond is rare. Materia is rare.

It's a localization choice. Japanese doesn't have plurals like this, so they aren't affected by these considerations. I think it's very silly to use the same form for materia when they are clearly separate rocks. Even different abilities with the different rocks.
« Last Edit: 2017-04-18 20:13:58 by DLPB »

Rjenyawd

• A bowling ball, dreaming I'm a plate of sashimi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3547 on: 2017-04-18 21:00:55 »
Nope. I use materia like diamond.

There are lots of diamonds. There are lots of materias.
Diamond is rare. Materia is rare.

It's a localization choice. Japanese doesn't have plurals like this, so they aren't affected by these considerations. I think it's very silly to use the same form for materia when they are clearly separate rocks. Even different abilities with the different rocks.

Ooohhh. I don't know though, DLPB. It's always kind of bugged me what exactly materia is, and how it's referenced by the general public. In the english game script, does the game ever refer to a plural form of materia, or do they always use it as a descriptor for the (plural) crystals?

IE: Is there a difference between Materia the material, and individual materia crystals (orbs? rocks?)  Because, stealing your reference, a necklace made OF Diamond is rare (and usually only found in a D&D campaign), but a necklace made WITH diamonds is more common. Then again, either is still referred to as a 'diamond necklace'.  Also, Diamonds are a Girls Best Friend.  Are Materias? or IS Materia? 

To put it in game context: What is it that's found somewhere with high amounts of condensed Mako?  A materia cluster? or a cluster of materias? A nest of crystal(ized) materias, or a nest of materia crystals?   

EDIT: I guess in my head, I always wanted it to be clean and concise, so I subconsciously referenced Materia the same way Magicite is referenced in FF6. or Nethicite in FF12: A a material descriptor for a crystal.  You don't have multiple magicites, you have Magicite crystals. Same for Materia. (or so I thought.)

However, you've spent FAR more time with this script than anyone on this forum, (or outside of the production staff, honestly) So I defer to your judgement.

Either way, English plurals are weird.
« Last Edit: 2017-04-18 21:18:23 by Rjenyawd »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3548 on: 2017-04-18 21:26:58 »
As I said above, Japanese is a fundamentally different language (they don't have plurals like this). The Japanese game uses the word "Materia" in English represented by kana (This is hard to grasp for most people. Many names in Japanese games are literally English!)  It's up to the localizer to choose. When we talk about the substance of diamond, we use diamond. When we have numerous diamond rocks we say "Nice diamonds". You wouldn't have a box with 5 diamonds [see] in it and say "There is nice diamond in there".
« Last Edit: 2017-04-18 21:32:52 by DLPB »

Rjenyawd

• A bowling ball, dreaming I'm a plate of sashimi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3549 on: 2017-04-18 22:13:05 »
Got it. You use the word similar to the use of the word "diamond", whereas I've always thought of it similar to the usage of the word "gold" because I assumed Materia was it's own thing, and referenced it's secondary noun's plural. "crystals" not "materias"

So, when Woosley used "Materia crystals" in the english script, it was incorrect and redundant, (similar to saying "diamond gemstone/s"). Materia is crystallized Mako. So properly, the translation should have referenced that Mako crystals = Materias.  "Materia's crystal" isn't a thing either, for the same reason. 

Thanks, DLPB!

NOW, on a completely different, and more on topic point, I have a quick question about the Model Overhaul portion of Reunion's 5c patch:  :P

I've been trying to follow up on all the different model issues and fixes you, Kaldarasha, and a few other's have been discussing, and I was wondering what, in R05c, has been implemented in addendum to, or in place of Kaldarasha's UM 1.66?  I know you aren't using Kaldarasha's new Cloud, Biggs, Wedge, or Jesse specifically, but what about Nunsrgr8's new model additions? Should I patch those into the .Lgp or are they already implemented? What about the animation updates, or the fixes to the flevel with things like Sepheroth's transparency and clouds water-walking model?

Just curious to see what I should try to patch in manually (using ideas and methods you AwesomeAmazingGenius people have already discussed), or what has already been patched. ^_^ 

Thanks, Sir!
« Last Edit: 2017-04-18 23:28:08 by Rjenyawd »