Author Topic: FF7 backgrounds and music (Help with Steam version)  (Read 8600 times)

Pisko

• View Profile
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the community and I don't have any experience in modding. I don't really know where to post this.

I bought the Steam version of FF7 two days ago, and like many people I'm having troubles with the backgrounds. They're ugly and full of pixels. I understand that this is because they were made for the PS1 and have a low resolution but I was so amazed by their beauty, back in the days when playing on PS1, that this really bothers me.

There are only 2 things I'd like to mod in FF7 : backgrounds and music. So here are my questions :

- I'm french (and I apologize for any english mistakes in this post  :D) and I'm playing on a french version bought on steam. Can I mod it ? Will it be working in french ?

- How do you mod the steam version ? I read the tifa's bootleg tutorial and I understand that I have to relocate my steam folder (which is in Program Filex86 at the moment). Does this mean that I have to reinstall all my games ? Can i relocate it without reinstalling everything ?

- I'm only interested in changing the 2D backgrounds and the music. What mods should I download to do this ? How should I proceed ? As I said, I read the tutorial but I am still confused on the steps to follow.

I'm really looking forward to playing to this game again and enjoy it ! Thanks in advance for your help, and thanks for all the good work that is being shared here !

Kompass63

• View Profile
Re: FF7 backgrounds and music (Help with Steam version)
« Reply #1 on: 2013-07-11 17:14:11 »
As a first step, I recommend to install the game in a non-system folder.
In the folder "Program Files (x86)" the data are protect against manipulation through the OS.

Since you want to change the music, a conversion to the 1998 version is essential.
Use for this please my FF7_GameConverter
, who also works with the French version.

On that occasion, you can also help me to improve the text of the menus.
I had to cut in some places a little, otherwise the text will not fit in the English FF7.exe pure.
See you on the menus and tell me exactly where you can improve something.

To improve the backgrounds I recommend Omzy's FFVII Field Pack (the 3GB one).
So you can replace all backgrounds.
Extract this into [Gamefolder]\mods

For the music, I recommend to use my folder from here.
http://united-odc.de/data/Final_Fantasy_VII/Mods/FF7Music_1511_RE.rar
Extract this into [Gamefolder]  (will create a new folder "Ficedula")
Go to the Ficedula-Folder, right click onto "FF7Music.exe" and choose "send to" -> "Desktop".
This will make a Link onto your Desktop of which the game can be started later.

Now you still need to use an editor to edit the file "ff7_opengl.cgf".
Remove the # before "music_plugin = plugins/ff7music.fgp"
Search for the line "mod_path = none" and replace it with "mod_path = FacePalmer" (must be identical to the name in the mods folder)
Search for the line "use_shaders = yes" and replace it with "use_shaders = off" (with wrong graphics card driver makes this function problems)

You can also change other things if you like, for example,
window_size_x = 1920
window_size_y = 1080

Please save the changes.

You are now ready and can start the game via the link on your desktop.