Author Topic: [FF7PC-98] The Reunion (OLD THREAD, SAVED FOR POSTERITY)  (Read 1250341 times)

spy__dragon

• View Profile
Re: The Reunion [IN PROGRESS]
« Reply #2475 on: 2013-12-18 20:27:11 »
I have seen your list on the Google Docs, as you know I am doing a translation too.
The name of the "Alfred", really is "Alfried", is very curious but is a German name.
It could be of this:
http://tangorin.com/general/%E3%82%A2%E3%83%AB%E3%83%95%E3%83%AA%E3%83%BC%E3%83%89

Alfried Kuropp

Regards and good luck with the revision.

Edit:
Other thing, in Don Corneo you put in the notes this [In Spanish, lit. Mr. Horny]
But in Spanish doesn't exist "Corneo", really is a Italian word.
« Last Edit: 2013-12-18 20:33:56 by spy__dragon »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: 2013-12-18 21:47:41 »
Ah... meant Italian.  I dunno how I ended up putting Spanish.  Also thanks for the Alfried thing, but could it not be Alfred as in Alfred the Great. Seems more likely...

In fact, it is probably referencing Alfred's old English spelling "Ælfrǣd"  which would likely use the same kana (luksy?).

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: 2013-12-18 23:17:05 »
Alfried looks wierd even in German. Must be a realy old name.

luksy

• View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: 2013-12-19 12:05:14 »
This is more likely

http://www.abcb.com/arislan/ars_o001.htm

Has a character with exactly the same name, fantasy setting.

Dark Phoenix

• View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: 2013-12-20 02:39:45 »
I can't wait.  Been putting off a full playthrough of FF7 waiting for this to complete ;)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2480 on: 2013-12-20 02:58:45 »
Is it rendered in English as "Alfried" or "Alfred" in that novel?  From what I can see Alfried (アルフリード) is preferred with that kana.

However, this could certainly just be dodgy kana and Alfred was intended, no?

luksy

• View Profile
« Reply #2481 on: 2013-12-20 05:11:30 »
Looks like the character is a woman, and it's rendered Alfreed in at least one image online, no idea how it was officially translated. Keep in mind this isn't something as simple a single letter having been added by accident or a whim, i.e. Alfred -> Alfried, they deliberately chose アルフリード instead of アルフレッド for whatever reason. Alfried Krupp is rendered as アルフリート on wiki, but the change from ト to ド is minimal, I'm guessing it's a nod to anime I posted but Alfreed looks a bit daft in the context.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: 2013-12-20 05:29:41 »
Why does that one use "to" and not "do".  I noticed Siegfried also uses to.

luksy

• View Profile
« Reply #2483 on: 2013-12-20 06:30:59 »
Katakana can only ever be an approximation of other languages, Japanese ears might hear a t in place of a d if they're unfamiliar with whatever it is they're hearing / reading.

In the same way, the Japanese 'r' can sound like an 'l', an 'r', or even a 'd' depending on the speaker and non-Japanese listener, the difference is that Japanese has a formal way (well 3 actually) of romanizing Japanese, there's no standards when going in the other direction.

Ver Greeneyes

• View Profile
« Reply #2484 on: 2013-12-20 13:06:32 »
In the same way, the Japanese 'r' can sound like an 'l', an 'r', or even a 'd' depending on the speaker and non-Japanese listener,
I've always thought it sounds like the shortest possible Alveolar trill, which is sometimes taught by alternating 'd' and 't' (though the real thing doesn't do that of course), so there's definitely a bit of 'd' in there. Formal romanizations are kind of weird in this respect, since the problem is that only hearing Japanese as a baby, you simply lose the built-in phonemes for 'l' and 'r' - in the same way that probably none of us have the ability to discern all the different click phonemes (used in some African languages).

So you're trying to map something undefined in English to one of several choices, and in some ways it's worse for English to Japanese since both 'l' and 'r' necessarily map to the same Japanese phoneme. At the same time, some Romanizations simply look better to a native English speaker, presumably by association with other English words - for instance, preferring 'Rei' as a name over 'Lei' even though both are equally valid Romanizations in theory (and I believe 'Lei' is preferred in at least one formal Romanization, which is unfortunate). Earisu/Aeris/Aerith/Earth is another example of this of course, although I'm not sure missing phonemes are the cause of that. Is 'th' hard to discern from 's' for someone who only heard Japanese in their early life or is there just no way to tell them apart in writing?
« Last Edit: 2013-12-20 13:19:45 by Ver Greeneyes »

spy__dragon

• View Profile
« Reply #2485 on: 2013-12-20 15:12:37 »
Hi, guys!
I have seen your list again ;)
In the "Silver rifle", you put "BB gun", but, I have seen that there is other meaning.
For example: "Pellet gun". I have a doubt if really is a "pellet gun" this weapon.

Other weapon is "Diamond Pin", but I have checked that in japanese "giyaman" is
diamond in Dutch. See this: http://tangorin.com/general/%E3%82%AE%E3%83%A4%E3%83%9E%E3%83%B3
But I think the same, is made of glass.

Regards.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2486 on: 2013-12-20 15:34:25 »
It's definitely glass (I have documented this somewhere and why it isn't diamond).  As for BB Gun, it's probably the closest in localization.  It's a joke weapon for Vincent.  (Every character has a joke weapon).  :)

spy__dragon

• View Profile
« Reply #2487 on: 2013-12-20 18:40:11 »
It's definitely glass (I have documented this somewhere and why it isn't diamond).  As for BB Gun, it's probably the closest in localization.  It's a joke weapon for Vincent.  (Every character has a joke weapon).  :)

OK! ;) You are right, all characters has a "joke weapon".
I look forward to your retranslation.
I'd like to see some things to compare with I am doing in Spanish.

Regards.

Edit:
Other thing, were you able to clean the old subs of Jenova video?
I have a clean video, if you want it, only tell me.
« Last Edit: 2013-12-20 19:23:24 by spy__dragon »

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #2488 on: 2013-12-20 20:28:56 »

BB guns are no joke. You'll shoot your eye out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YleZvTSDC6s

(Europeans might not get this at all :P )

Kaldarasha

• View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: 2013-12-20 20:44:03 »
BB guns are no joke. You'll shoot your eye out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YleZvTSDC6s

(Europeans might not get this at all :P )

BB guns are never a joke, kid.  :-P

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #2490 on: 2013-12-20 22:12:26 »
$2 million in its first weekend... oh gosh! Thanks for pointing that movie out!

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: 2013-12-22 11:31:18 »
I've finally finished my new text replacing tool. I have been through god knows how many revisions and in the end I had to write 2 functions from scratch because the ones online were slow, bloated, and didn't come with whole-word checking.  My text replacing tool can now check (and if necessary change) 100 items in 700 text files (and over 1 MB) in 7 seconds with a Core 2 Duo E6600.  Very, very impressive.  The result is that real-time changes to text are no problem at all now.  And I don't need to fuck about like before doing this>

Marine>Xarine
Marin>Marlene
Xarine>Marine

Just so it doesn't accidentally change "Marine" to "Marlenee"

The new way is simply:

[W+]
Marin>Marlene

and flags stay on until they are turned off (like [W-] for whole word off].

I wrote a really clever function to get it all working and I am proud of it.  8)  Whole word checking is not as simple as you might think because you have to take into account separators like !, ? and end lines, tabs etc...

edit.

One more revision... this time adding in checks to see if a file has been changed.  If not, it doesn't get saved.  This has saved another 2 seconds, so now we are down to 4 for FF7 changes.

edit 2.

and another revision...

I have added a timer to the program and status output.  The total process for FF7 text files is:

1611 changes, 464 files modified, processing time 3.19 seconds.  My older program did the same task in well over 10.
« Last Edit: 2013-12-23 05:58:05 by DLPB »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: 2013-12-24 13:00:44 »
OK so... here is the list of normal changes depending on option user selects.  On the left, the correct translation, on right, "English canon".

Major names:

Zax>Zack
Leno>Reno
Yrena>Elena
Gusto>Gast
Elmina>Elmyra
Zeng>Tseng
Marin>Marlene
Barrett>Barret

Minor names

Crean>Chole
Grean>Choco Bill
Greene>Choco Billy
Esto>Ester
Kocchi>Kotch
Socchi>Scotch
Hut>Hart
Godot>Godo
Sierra>Shera

and ones that won't be changed at all no matter what:

Varvadoss
Elder Buga
Elder Hago
Ruza
Yamaski
Holzhov
Aerith

Place names

District>Sector
Midhir>Mideel
Nibl>Nibel
Turtle Lounge>Turtle Paradise
Da Zhao>Da Chao

Series Canon

Moguri>Moogle
High Potion>Hi-Potion
Last Elixir>Megalixir
Phoenix Tail>Phoenix Down
Ramu>Ramuh

If you think I have forgotten any, let me know.  I'd much rather I didn't have to do any of this but hey ho.
« Last Edit: 2013-12-24 13:03:16 by DLPB »

knightsoftheround

• View Profile
    • Online Art Gallery
« Reply #2493 on: 2013-12-24 17:37:40 »
If people simply must have Aeris, it's not like you can't input your own character names. XD I used to do that to make 'Aeris'' name Aerith when I learned about that problem (this was before Compilation stuff) myself. XD

HNNGH SO EXCITED. :D

Ver Greeneyes

• View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: 2013-12-24 18:00:09 »
If people simply must have Aeris, it's not like you can't input your own character names.
Pretty much. I'm tempted to name her Earth in my playthrough just to make a point :P (I mean, we already have Cloud..)

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: 2013-12-26 04:34:23 »
I won't say exactly where my proofread is at, but the percentage is a number with three digits, and the first digit isn't 0. More work is yet to be done on this mod, but not by me.  ;D

luksy

• View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: 2013-12-26 05:59:47 »
1.01%! Congratulations Covarr!  :D

Kaldarasha

• View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: 2013-12-26 07:03:04 »
1.01%! Congratulations Covarr!  :D

Pah! These optimists.

knightsoftheround

• View Profile
    • Online Art Gallery
« Reply #2498 on: 2013-12-26 16:13:35 »
I won't say exactly where my proofread is at, but the percentage is a number with three digits, and the first digit isn't 0. More work is yet to be done on this mod, but not by me.  ;D

Sweet! 8D I need to get my work out of the way so I can marathon this game without guilt. XD

(Also omg Luksy I'm glad I wasn't drinking something. XD)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: 2013-12-27 09:19:19 »
The localization of Final Fantasy VII is fully completed.

There may still be some issues (despite massive effort) but those will be plugged by you guys playing the game.

Well done Luksy and Covarr, and special thanks to Prince Lex :)  And to everyone else who has contributed in some way to corrections.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juHgQBB2tLU

Old:
“I wonder how long it's been…
   There's an invisible rail
   between me and the passengers.”{NEW}
“I could never live their lives.
   I'm just a train man plain and simple.
   It's easier that way.”

New
#xy 126 8
“I wonder how long it's been now…
  You end up laying an invisible rail