Author Topic: [FF7PC-98] The Reunion (OLD THREAD, SAVED FOR POSTERITY)  (Read 1250315 times)

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
Re: The Reunion [IN PROGRESS]
« Reply #2500 on: 2013-12-27 13:59:03 »
So i sit eager with excitement, Waiting for a release haha.

knightsoftheround

• View Profile
    • Online Art Gallery
« Reply #2501 on: 2013-12-27 20:31:29 »
So i sit eager with excitement, Waiting for a release haha.

*sits with you* XD

KnifeTheSky77

• Somnambulistic Paraphile
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: 2013-12-27 20:41:09 »
I can't wait to sit down and binge play through the game,  I haven't touched it in years  :D

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: 2013-12-27 20:42:26 »
I may well do a Let's Play of this game with the new translation. In spite of having helped, I'm as pumped as anyone to actually play it. None of my proofreading was in game, so I never got to see the whole story in order and in context like this.

sonickenshin

• View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: 2013-12-27 21:50:21 »
Woo congrats guys! Can't for the release. :) I might be doing a Let's Play too, and maybe a fandub of the important scenes (because doing the whole game is too much X_x). Depends if my voice acting friends are up for it.

knightsoftheround

• View Profile
    • Online Art Gallery
« Reply #2505 on: 2013-12-28 00:39:17 »
I am probably going to do be doing new fanart at several points just because this has always been one of my favorite games and I've been holding off a full replay for like TWO YEARS or however long I've been a member here. XDD

To think I found this place cause I was looking for a copy to play on my emulator... XD

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: 2013-12-28 01:29:20 »
Many thanks mugenginga, covarr and everyone else who helped in this and of course the main man dlpb, really stoked for this can't wait ^^
« Last Edit: 2013-12-28 01:39:46 by sunz »

Thisguyaresick2

« Reply #2507 on: 2013-12-30 17:15:01 »
Hey DLPB, did you retranslate the FMV's subtitles? A friend of mine told me they were badly translated too.

Also, I tried to send a PM to luksy, but I didn't receive any answer from him yet. I'm not even sure if the message was sent, this forum was full of problems. And I'm starting to get worried, 'cause the Reunion will be released soon. It looks like you two were correct about the "Climhazzard" translation. It was really closer to "climb" than "crime", according to BRPXQZME, a friend of mine from RHDN. The evidence he had is FFT's description of the attack:

心の臓を刺し貫き、真上に切り裂くリミット技。まれに即死させる

Can anyone read it?

And in the animation, Cloud doesn't climb onto anything:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sqd59plBif4

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: 2013-12-30 17:41:02 »
Names don't have to match the action...  sometimes they can actually be coming from earlier games or even other media like manga.  The action, graphic or otherwise do not prove anything sadly.  In this case, Luksy went with Crime and a few others have too.  I find both silly names.   There was a logical reason for the name a few pages back.

As for the description... if I recall it doesn't help at all.  Luksy will probably translate it.

The FMV are being retranslated.  They were already done but I am having to redo them again for the Reunion.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: 2013-12-30 21:35:58 »
What's that? You're going to crank out even higher quality FMV's? Haha :P

knightsoftheround

• View Profile
    • Online Art Gallery
« Reply #2510 on: 2013-12-31 02:58:49 »
What's that? You're going to crank out even higher quality FMV's? Haha :P

I remember the last FMV confusing the hell out of me (and judging by fan theories and discussions, I was far from the only one).  When I beat the game the first time I assumed it was cause the ending was supposed to be vague-ish (I've always felt VII was a game you had to think about to fully get), but as I began to understand the translation problems I began to wonder how much of it was shoddy translation. It'll be nice to be properly confused or not, for sure. XD

In fact, I'm very excited to find out how many 'confusing' aspects of the game were translation related. :D

PS - Is it just me or did the clarity of original 'translation' get worse the further the game progressed?? I mean, stuff like "this guy are sick" and "beacause" are both pretty obvious errors but pretty easy to figure out what was /meant/, as opposed to outright wrong and misleading.
« Last Edit: 2013-12-31 03:00:21 by mugenginga »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #2511 on: 2013-12-31 17:21:23 »
I proofread the script all out of order, and even so I understand the story better in the retranslation. A lot of stuff, especially regarding Cloud's backstory, was not comprehensibly translated originally, and is a lot clearer now. The ending is one of the few things that isn't the translation's fault... at least not entirely. A good chunk of it was intentionally left vague.

knightsoftheround

• View Profile
    • Online Art Gallery
« Reply #2512 on: 2014-01-01 03:57:34 »
That's what I suspected, but thanks for the clear up Covarr! :D

Edit; ITS THE FIRST *sits and buzzes with anticipation as she waits*
« Last Edit: 2014-01-01 07:22:11 by mugenginga »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2513 on: 2014-01-01 18:31:30 »
It sure is the 1st but there is gonna be a delay.  This will prob be released at some point in the next 12 hours though.  The work and testing stage is quite abnormal and I didn't expect it to be this bad.  Still...  it isn't much longer to wait, is it ;)

Good news is when I have all this in place, any future releases will be much easier.

knightsoftheround

• View Profile
    • Online Art Gallery
« Reply #2514 on: 2014-01-01 18:33:01 »
It sure is the 1st but there is gonna be a delay.  This will prob be released at some point in the next 12 hours though.  The work and testing stage is quite abnormal and I didn't expect it to be this bad.  Still...  it isn't much longer to wait, is it ;)

Good news is when I have all this in place, any future releases will be much easier.

Oh, that's fine! Don't mind my excessive stalking of the page lulz. XD

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2515 on: 2014-01-02 20:50:29 »
A better idea to me putting when I expect this to be released is to explain what is done and what needs to be done:

Menu:  Done
Retranslation: Done (FMV need to be redone though)
Custom Tools: Done
Submarine minigame: postponed for another day, but partly done.
Other minigames except Fort Condor: Done

Installer: Not done.

Testing: Not done.

It's a matter of making it all work together now and then releasing it.  It isn't long off, and I really expected it to be done by now.   :-D

There are going to be numerous issues when it's released and that will need to be ironed out over the coming 3 months.  Despite best efforts.  Anyone wanting to do a full play through of FF7 should be good to go, but I'd definitely recommend waiting until teething problems have been solved. (people are going to find grammar issues,  and make other recommendations).

I've now removed the Menu Overhaul installer.  It is no longer supported.
« Last Edit: 2014-01-02 20:54:42 by DLPB »

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #2516 on: 2014-01-02 21:34:44 »
I'm happy to help test when it gets to that phase. I am a stickler for going through and completing EVERYTHING before beating the final boss

quequotion

• View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: 2014-01-04 05:04:34 »
Could we have a batch installer (non-gui) release as well this time?

In the past I've had trouble with your self-extracting installers in WINE.

The individual component installation tools seem to work fine, but the installer scripting them would fall apart.

It would be easier to work with a windows .bat that I could convert into a bash script.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: 2014-01-04 11:52:15 »
The installers already support batch command line, but I do not know the parameters.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: 2014-01-04 14:11:29 »
edited for now.  I am totally out of the loop when it comes to models.  Gonna go sort all this....
« Last Edit: 2014-01-04 14:28:00 by DLPB »

KnifeTheSky77

• Somnambulistic Paraphile
    • View Profile
« Reply #2520 on: 2014-01-04 14:48:31 »
I feel like only the original style chibi models look normal in field. The 'adult' models always look wacky, disproportionate and out of place. Not to mention, the colors of the models are seemingly never from the same color palette as the backgrounds

I can't be the only one. I would love to see a whole set of HD chibi models.  ;) ;) ;) ;)

knightsoftheround

• View Profile
    • Online Art Gallery
« Reply #2521 on: 2014-01-04 15:25:26 »
I could see those working, although I'd have to play a bit with them to be sure (the intro bombing mission would be plenty for me to get a feel one way or the other).

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: 2014-01-04 15:50:04 »
I had thought that I would get some feedback from the others, because I'm not really happy with Cloud. But it looks like they are satisfied if something is new. :|
Even if you like a coherent design, the majority will use HD textured models. I'm aware of this and I try to use the best of both worlds to convince some people to stick with the unshaded style.
However the style change of the heads is something, which IS distracting, if you are used to the original heads. Even for me.
The biggest difference is actually the eye-eyebrow part. Many of the male models have them merged together to an angry look. But the new heads have them both separated, which makes the faces look different depending from the angle of the camera.
Anyway Cloud needs some fine work, the added hair on the left side looks wrong and the lips are to dark.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: 2014-01-04 16:04:50 »
I definitely recommend keeping the original heads... or using the PRP heads and modifying them.  The PRP ones come from the battle models and look like they were intended to look.  Even your original shaded ones look good. :) The new ones I don't care for at all...  and the whole update looked wrong to me:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/36889302/FF7/newkal.PNG

I just don't think any of that fits.

knightsoftheround

• View Profile
    • Online Art Gallery
« Reply #2524 on: 2014-01-04 16:28:44 »
I'm sure whatever you guys finally decide on will be great, all of you guys seem to really know what you're doing (certainly far more than me as I'm mostly clueless at this point). I look forward to seeing what you end up with! :D