Author Topic: New Scene.bin Editor  (Read 13843 times)

Topher

• View Profile
New Scene.bin Editor
« on: 2005-08-08 13:33:43 »
Alright, over the past few days I've been writing a scene.bin editor in Visual C++ (in my quest to learn C++).

Functionality-wise it should be on par with SceneEdit (I tried to make sure of that before release :P), albeit I think it is much easier to use. (No offense to Mav, I just found Scene Edit kind of annoying for mass editing)

You will need a decompressed scene.bin, from scene1 (not scene001) to scene256. The program doesn't currently handle exceptions when a file is read-only or doesn't exist and will most likely crash or display garbage.

It is my first VC++ project, so if there are any bugs (aside from the aforementioned), please let me know ASAP so I can try to fix them! I weeded out a few nasty ones when I switched to the release build from the debug build.

Download here! (Version 0.5)

'Changelog':
v0.5
- You can now change whether enemies can be Manipulated, and what attacks (maximum of 3).
- Changed attack name changing so only the currently selected enemy's attacks appear (probably caused some bugs).
- Probably some more but I forgot about them.

v0.4
- Added basic formation editing (pretty buggy)
- Fixed text editing bug (hopefully)
- Removed copy/paste restriction but added warning (use at caution)

v0.3
- Moved some crap around
- Added level changing
- Added copy/paste function
- Added attack name changing
- Probable 1600% increase in bugs/errors.

Plans for the future:
- Number One Priority: Fix reported bugs
- Add status immunity modification (need to find that part of the file first)
- Complete formation editing
- Discover more of scene.bin

Anyways, hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed learning from it's development.

mirex

• View Profile
    • http://mirex.mypage.sk
New Scene.bin Editor
« Reply #1 on: 2005-08-08 15:32:32 »
I wanted to test it out but ... how do I extract those scene files from scene.bin ? You should write some faq / howto for it

Topher

• View Profile
New Scene.bin Editor
« Reply #2 on: 2005-08-08 23:28:33 »
Alright, mini-tutorial time.

Download Scene Explorer and run it.

Click "Unpack an archive" and select your scene.bin file, then a (preferably) empty directory.

Download Scenester and run it.

Click the "..." button at the top and choose the directory you extracted scene.bin to.

Click one of the "Scene x" files on the left and edit away!

When done, return to Scene Explorer and choose "Create new archive", then the directory you extracted scene.bin to, then where you would like to make your scene.bin (back up your old one!).

P.S. I just noticed I missed out the box for editing enemies levels. Will add that in later this afternoon.

Yazoo

• View Profile
New Scene.bin Editor
« Reply #3 on: 2005-08-09 16:57:14 »
I noticed that when I change the attack names, I cant use spaces.
For example, I wanted to change an attack name to 'no escape' its gona come out as 'no p'.. Also tried 'double crimson' and it came out 'double er'

hmm..for now the only way around this is replacing spaces with -'s. so 'no-escape'

..juz wanted to report. v.03

BTW, good job!!! :D

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
New Scene.bin Editor
« Reply #4 on: 2005-08-09 20:21:33 »
Change avatar please. 100x100, 10 kB maximum.

Topher

• View Profile
New Scene.bin Editor
« Reply #5 on: 2005-08-10 01:06:26 »
Quote from: Yazoo
I noticed that when I change the attack names, I cant use spaces.
For example, I wanted to change an attack name to 'no escape' its gona come out as 'no p'.. Also tried 'double crimson' and it came out 'double er'

Didn't notice that one... I'll look into it when I get home later today.

BTW, good job!!! :D

-gone away-

• View Profile
New Scene.bin Editor
« Reply #6 on: 2005-09-09 13:18:16 »
hi, love your editor.

a few things that i wish it include tho if you can.

- creatures that exist in multiple files such as the zenene moster cannot differ in values as it messes up the place they appear in game, a way to fix or detect this is desperatly needed.

- Values & Files modified that differ to the original highlighted.

- formations, is there a way to add more of them? I love this part of the editor as it will make the new hardcore mod im making much more interesting. getting attacked by six monsters at a time will be really cool.

- maybe my 17" monitor is getting to small, but a larger interface might be nice

please PM me if you update this more.

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
New Scene.bin Editor
« Reply #7 on: 2005-10-10 12:38:12 »
Hi,
I have to say this editor looks SLICK! great work, well done.
I hope you continue to work on it as it looks mighty impressive.
Could I make a request?
Is it not possible to index all the enemies by name and group them accordingly? so if I am hunting for maybe zenene and I know it shows in three/two different scene files? so like keep an external index which will match names and then create a enemy list as opposed to a scene list?
Or maybe as an optional view mode?

The Skillster

• View Profile
New Scene.bin Editor
« Reply #8 on: 2005-10-10 12:53:22 »
just to remind people is it correct in thinking the last boss (safer sephiroth) has his stats etc stored seperatly?

---Edit:
Can I ask a quick question? are the scene files (1-256) loaded into memory when you are in the corresponding map?
So if I am in Shinra HQ after sephiroth busts jenova out, and I am wandering around on the 68th floor (the one where you first meet Red XIII) and there are fights with monsters from scene file 113 onwards.
is scene file 113 resident in memory while I walk around the level? or is it only loaded in at the start of a fight. Also the memory location if you know.

Because I would like to play around with the data in real time to see what effects it has and help decode the file format quicker.

Thanks

hay

• If I had a buggy, I'd cross the southern desert
    • View Profile
New Scene.bin Editor
« Reply #9 on: 2005-10-12 15:20:06 »
I've noticed some other weird behavior. Scenester is creating little mess with the scene files when editing on large scale.
After editing files with Scenster files are gaining weight and in conclusion whole scene.bin is incompatibile and produces bugs like diffrent monsters in diffrent areas.

But it's still awesome software :D so keep working on it!

Edited some minutes later:
Alrighty! I got your bug. Scenester is loading some weird creatures where it should be nothing and after saving it and recompiling to bin it makes little garbage in scene.bin ;]
I think so...

Edited:
I've noticed bugs at scene 110, 112, 114 and about 151...

New Scene.bin Editor
« Reply #10 on: 2005-11-15 17:10:33 »
Enemies name  has only weird letters etc, I dunno if its supposed to be like this.

EDIT:Fixed now

Topher

• View Profile
New Scene.bin Editor
« Reply #11 on: 2005-11-16 02:14:55 »
OK guys, I started writing Scenester2 mostly from the ground up the other night... it's not far along, it mostly doesn't work at all but it's going to support scene extraction and compression as soon as I can figure out how to GZIP in VC++ (using zlib, but I can't figure it out :P I'm not such a great programmer).

The interface is much prettier, too. I'm also going to make global monster changes, i.e. when you change one monster, it changes in all the files, I just need to generate a table of monsters to files.

The Skillster

• View Profile
New Scene.bin Editor
« Reply #12 on: 2005-11-16 08:46:12 »
Lord Ramza,
Theres a thread called "The Skillster's FF7 Hardcode Mode"
Please read that for some new information about enemy attack data etc
Also you probably already know about your elemental weakness bug (where double damage shows as non avoidable in scenester).
It here actually
http://forums.qhimm.com/viewtopic.php?t=4795&highlight=

-gone away-

• View Profile
New Scene.bin Editor
« Reply #13 on: 2005-11-27 03:41:47 »
Quote from: Lord Ramza

The interface is much prettier, too. I'm also going to make global monster changes, i.e. when you change one monster, it changes in all the files, I just need to generate a table of monsters to files.

how are you going to handle the fact that some monsters that are the same have different stat's for when they are in different states e.g. hell house, mighty grunt, ultimate weapon ..ect..

sounds good... cant wait for a new editor.

The Skillster

• View Profile
New Scene.bin Editor
« Reply #14 on: 2005-11-27 13:46:11 »
That is usually done in two ways, either:
a) there are records for two enemies, then one switches to the other.
or
b) the AI/script is setup so to bump up the stats at a given point

-gone away-

• View Profile
New Scene.bin Editor
« Reply #15 on: 2005-11-27 14:04:17 »
or could just fix they're name.

example.
Mighty Grunt - A
Mighty Grunt - B

Instead of Mighty Grunt for both