Author Topic: HQ Barret175  (Read 13968 times)

cmh175

• View Profile
    • Chris Hendrickson's Artstation
HQ Barret175
« on: 2013-06-12 04:19:50 »

UPDATE: New Release: http://www.mediafire.com/download/77ssvsyzrfw6p09/HQ_Barret_2.0.7z

7thHeaven version: http://www.mediafire.com/download/lyeirkv3lp8ybb8/HQ_Barret_2.0.iro

For the field model I reworked the skeleton and adjusted the body. He's a bit taller and a little leaner now. I also included the model in the Coral flashback when he still has his hand.

For the battle model I made him a bit leaner and adjusted the skeleton. I also tweaked the idle animation so he has a stronger looking stance.   

This is a rebuild of the Timsu Barret models. I made some changes to the gun but for the most part it's a very similar looking mod. The main difference that sets it apart though is that I built onto the original skeleton and only made slight alterations to it, so he has a more original look. Because of that he also has less issues with his legs when he moves. The animations made for him were designed for a large clunky body so there really isn't a perfect model for him, but the taller models can have problems when they run. I also corrected issues with blinking. His eyes will blink, not his head. I also made a parachute model to go with it.

The battle model is definitely a change as I corrected file issues a lot of Barret models have with help from Template. Most of them don't actually have all the files needed, so depending on what was installed before some models don't work or have strange animations, like Barret only using melee attacks. This one also includes all four of his battle models, instead of just the first. So this one can be added without any issues and works correctly. The visual differences are small but I did fix issues like his arm unattaching from his body during his breathing animation when they wait to attack.   

This mod isn't a massive rebuild or anything, but I made it because I wanted models that seem to move smoother and don't have battle animation issues. I decided to share it since the links for the originals seem to be down and other incarnations of this model have a few bugs. Basically it's an update to an already good model so it moves better in the game, already has bootleg corrected animations, and has all the needed files so it doesn't rely on what was previously installed.
« Last Edit: 2013-09-17 23:44:05 by cmh175 »

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
Re: HQ Barret175
« Reply #1 on: 2013-06-12 18:37:30 »
The resized body parts are more true to the original Barret. He seems a little short, but It might be fine in game.

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2013-06-12 18:54:42 »
Might just be the picture. It's shorter than a few others but it looks pretty well portioned in the game. He's still maybe a bit taller than Cloud, depending on which model your using. Or at least taller than his head lol, Cloud has tall spikes to his hair. Barrets legs just fit his body more in this model.

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2013-06-12 19:00:53 »
Yeah it's hard to tell how tall he is with nothing around him.

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2013-06-12 19:24:56 »
I'll take some screen shots some time. Just need to find a part in the game where you get a good look at him.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2013-06-13 03:13:48 »
 ;D It isn't easy to get good proportions for a model, especially at this one. I had a look at the field model of your rework and [CleverNameHere] is right it's much too short. He is flying over the ground. The models I create have usually the feet in the ground - it's a disadvantage, but it's needed for right proportions.
You will get problems with some animations, some parts doesn't have the same direction as they bones and others need to be more central to the bone.
In particular the hip-chest bone should be longer, so the head could be closer to the joint.
(To be honest it happened to me lately with the APZ Cloud field model I have reworked. I have made a mistake to the upperarms and didn't followed the arm bone direction correctly, because I didn't want to make the collar-chest bones even shorter. Bad decision of me.)
However you need to make the collar bones shorter, they usually are responsible for the 'flying arms'.

Hmph, the left arm of my model is a bit too long...  :?

Anyway, I'm glad to see some more people are working with kimera at the models. :wink:
By the way the Red XIII field model by Kela51 needs some rework. I strongly recommend to use my Red XIII version as basic, because I have tweaked the bones as best I could to look best with the most animations.

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2013-06-13 03:24:11 »
I didn't have that issue when I checked it but I'll take another look. I've been using the field model for awhile without any issues, but it's a minor fix so I'll give it a look. His height's always been tough to judge. I always thought the taller models looked weird, always been a large frame on smaller legs. I personally think the shorter look is better but I'll try adjusting his legs and see how it looks. I'll definitely look into the collar bone suggestion, Barret suffers from it most of all so that'll be cool to clean up. I appreciate the input.

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2013-06-13 13:25:38 »
Unfortunately this will have to wait a bit. I was going to check into this today, but DC's getting hit with a massive storm. Last time I lost power, even briefly, I had to rebuild my pc because windows is so fragile. I made upgrades that should take care of it, but after nearly losing everything I'm just not going to risk it lol. I'll take care of it later if this blows past and we don't get the power outages their predicting. Last time a storm like this hit we were in the dark for about a week, so if I'm MIA for awhile I'm not blowing this off. 

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2013-06-13 18:36:33 »
Ok so I fixed the slight floating issue while correcting his legs as well. Lowered his feet just slightly below ground level, than extended his legs to meet them, and it actually looks really good too. So he's now taller and no longer levitating during some animations. I also corrected the skeleton issues. The head meets at the joint and I shortened the collar bones. I tweaked the arms since they were moved and they look ok, and it does greatly effect the floating arm issue Barret has. Thanks Kaldarasha, he's probably not perfect but at least to the point you cant notice his imperfections. I haven't updated pictures yet, juggling a lot of other projects. At some point I'll get some during game play.

Template

• Life is a series of cats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2013-07-01 12:34:56 »
Hiya cmh! Sorry haven't got around to responding to this post sooner...

I finally got a chance to play around with these models in game today and I really, really like the new face you did. Had no idea it would come out so realistic like that. Asmodean's reface is very thin and gaunt looking, but yours has the roundness you would expect from a big guy like Barret. Much impressed. I hope you continue to play with ff7 projects like this. I am working off and on at Barret's animations, so that his movements are less exaggerated; when I finish I may need your help figuring out how to sort the files because having to port it to the other 3 weapon types is confusing. /cheers

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2013-07-03 02:16:21 »
Hey glad you like it. I mostly just used the original pieces from the old model and fit them to my own skeleton. I fixed a few things, but it mainly looks so good because of the original work done. The biggest draw for this model is that it's able to walk and run better, and it has all of the necessary files so it's a stable release. Yeah I'm balancing a few project right now, been learning a lot more about 3d modeling with Blender. Let me know when you start doing the animations and I'll see what I can do to help.

~Also, greatest username ever btw.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-03 02:17:57 by cmh175 »

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2013-07-03 02:24:27 »
Almost every animation was broken with Timu Sumisu's original Barret. Good work fixing them so I don't have to see his arms detach from his body every time he lifts them above his head or walks.

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2013-09-17 21:16:59 »
Posted an update for the model. The field model is slightly taller, and a bit leaner. He looks more proportionate than the last release and will move a little better. The animations really just need to be worked on to make Barret walk properly, but this is at least an improvement. I resized the battle model so he looks leaner too and adjusted the idle animation so he has a stronger looking stance. Update on first post.   

Dark Phoenix

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2013-09-18 01:00:56 »
Might just be the picture. It's shorter than a few others but it looks pretty well portioned in the game. He's still maybe a bit taller than Cloud, depending on which model your using. Or at least taller than his head lol, Cloud has tall spikes to his hair. Barrets legs just fit his body more in this model.

According to the original manual, Barrett should be about 6'5" (197 cm), and Cloud should be 5'8" (173 cm).  I have no idea if Cloud's height includes his hair, though.

Anyway, here's official height info, in case anyone cares (probably not, but...)

Cloud: 5'8"
Barret: 6'5"
Tifa: 5'6"
Aeris: 5'4"
Red XIII: 3'11"
Cid: 5'10"
Yuffie: 5'2"
Vincent: 6'0"
Cait Sith: 3'3" (though, really, who cares?)
Sephiroth: 6'1"

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2013-09-18 01:42:09 »
That looks about right. You're quote is from the initial release I did though, his legs were a bit too short originally. Before this new rebuild I just released I'd already fixed that. He was a tad taller than Cloud. The new model I released is a bit taller than that now. I rebuilt the model to make it look more proportionate and redo the skeleton. 

eliwolfe92

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2013-10-06 23:55:18 »
I have to say this is a crucial fix. The Timsu Barret model's upper arms weren't quite long enough originally, if I'm not mistaken. This model is much more proportionate of Barret imho.

Edit: Ohhh, I didn't realize I coudn't hotlink to flickr, errr sorry. You can right click and copy the image url. It's a good screenshot showing off the model edit.
« Last Edit: 2013-10-06 23:57:54 by eliwolfe92 »