Author Topic: [FF7] Original and Outdated Tutorial - Bootleg Configurator  (Read 1836398 times)

kthxicus

• View Profile
Re: [Tutorial] Bootleg Configurator and FF7 Mod Installation
« Reply #2575 on: 2013-06-23 22:52:27 »
Awesome, thanks, also I realized after I posted this here that there is a technical issue section, so sorry for that as well.

DraigoDragon

• View Profile
« Reply #2576 on: 2013-06-25 16:47:28 »
Does the sqaure-enix website version work with this and also will this bootleg work If the ff 7 game Is not In the C drive

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2577 on: 2013-06-25 17:50:49 »
Yes to both.

DraigoDragon

• View Profile
« Reply #2578 on: 2013-06-25 18:40:07 »
Yes to both.

Thank you for the answer's, Once I complete ff 7 I will mod It

JordanKerk99

• View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: 2013-06-28 16:44:51 »
I have a question about running bootleg.exe

I have gone through all the steps of selecting and downloading all the mods that I want for my game and I hit run bootleg in order to set them up. However, each time I run it, it gets stuck while installing a different mod. the most common one it gets stuck at is the Aeris Revival Mod. This is what it looks like:

Installing Aeris Revival . . .
Integrating Aeris Revival . . .
_

And it will just sit like this forever and not go on to the next mod

If i disable the Aeris Revival, it just gets stuck on some other mod.

Is there some way to fix it so that I can get bootleg to not quit running? (I have bootleg.exe set to run as administrator)

I have gotten bootleg 0039 to work on my computer before but now that I am reinstalling it is not working.

Template

• Life is a series of cats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2580 on: 2013-06-28 18:01:10 »
Try turning UAC off completely. Make sure you really do have all the mods you need by checking the Mod Listing in the BFE utility. It will color code which mods are needed, which you have and which you need.

JordanKerk99

• View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: 2013-06-28 18:09:49 »
Both already done.

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: 2013-06-28 19:58:53 »
The important parts of the readmes are slightly buried and then who reads readmes... Most of what people end up needing to know is contained in these files. Possible kinks could be outdated windows system files, lack of .NET support, missing 7zip installation and maybe you might need to put a working copy of 7z.exe in the bootleg folder, this happened to me once ages ago. It's user error, or a system software incompatibility issue that is fixable. Give us more info... what platform are you running this on? Windows 7 windows XP?

Code: [Select]
Bootleg Configurator
 for
Final Fantasy VII
 by PitBrat
2012.12.30 VERSION .040

Bootleg installs and integrates a customized selection of mods for Final Fantasy VII.

Installation:
1) Download all of the supported mods into a single folder (Bootleg fails if critical mods are missing).
2) Do a MAXIMUM INSTALLATION of Final Fantasy VII preferably to a non-system folder such as 'D:\Games\FF7' (Prevents privilege errors and missing mods).
3) Place 'Bootleg.exe' and 'BFE.exe' together in the folder containing the mods.
4) CLOSE ALL OPEN FF7 GAME FILES AND FOLDERS AND DISABLE FIREWALLS OR BOOTLEG WILL FAIL.
5) Run 'BFE.exe' for complete control of the Bootleg process.

Requirements:
An authentic copy of the PC game Final Fantasy VII
GPU with OpenGL and Shader 2.0 support and at least 512MB (recommended Geforce 8800 or better) (Intel GPU's not supported)
A minimum 17GB of free space for setup files

The final installation is 7GB to 9GB depending on mod selection.

For more information, consult the Qhimm forums: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=12008.0
A detailed list of mods with support and download links-- Bootleg_Mods.htm-- is in the Final Fantasy VII folder.
For the most current list of mods, consult the Big List of Final Fantasy VII Mods: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=12503.msg173799#msg173799

Place ALL of the mods in the same folder with Bootleg.exe.
Otherwise, use the /F switch to specify mod locations.

Bootleg.exe must run with administrator privileges and will request administrator access.

Place Bootleg.exe in a folder with all of the FF7 mods.
If a mod is missing and you do not explicitly disable it during setup, strange
things will happen. All mods must reside in the folder with Bootleg.exe and
have the exact filenames from the Supported Mods list.
Use the /F switch to specify additional mod source paths.

NOTES:
Only apply Bootleg to a fresh MAXIMUM installation of the English 3 CD-ROM version of Final Fantasy VII.
Install Final Fantasy VII to a non-system folder such as 'D:\Games\FF7' to prevent privilege errors and missing mods.
Installing Bootleg WITHOUT The Remix-- Final_Fantasy_VII_Remix_v2-5-1_Installer.exe-- will result in missing game files.
Please disable any virus scanning software before running Bootleg Configurator due to a potential conflict with some mods.
Close all open FF7 files and folders before starting or Bootleg will fail.
The mods must reside in the same folder as Bootleg.exe and have the exact filenames in the Supported Mods list.
Use the /F switch to add mod search paths for mods not in the folder with Bootleg.exe.

NOT YET Supported Mods (To Do List):
    Option to Make Field Model Weapons Match Battle Model Weapons
    Option for Customizable Soundtrack

----------
KNOWN BUGS
----------

-Some field models need resized.
-Some field models don't blink or have flashing faces.
-Various glitches in field model animations when using PRP models.
-Aeris Revival in Hardcore Mode is missing some Revival scripts.  Aeris does not appear in 3 field scenes.
-Extended play time may result in corrupted graphics and a crash especially on lower end Intel GPU's.  Avoid pausing the game during battles.
-Rarely a crash occurs during the final rescue scene at the containment chamber in the Shinra Building lab.
    The crash is related to system ram and session play time.
    Use the nearby save point to avoid frustration.
-The Fort Condor mod occasionally causes a crash in the later levels of the Fort Condor minigame.
-Inconsistent install results when using paths containing parentheses, spaces and non U.S. characters: é, è, á, à, et cetera
-Installing to a system folder results in missing mods, lost settings, lost save games and mismatched kernels on some systems.  Avoid errors by installing to a NON SYSTEM FOLDER.
-ReTranslation only installs in Normal and Hardcore Modes when Mode Switching is Enabled.
-ReTranslation is not compatible with Lost Wing.
-Translation is incomplete for some language and mode combinations.  Battle and Menu text remains in English for some languages.
-When using FacePalmer field textures: the doors in Aeris' house sometimes appear closed when open; the door in the Costa Del Sol inn has a blue outline; in the chocobo sage's house there is a small white blotch above him, dark edges outline the scenery in the ice crater maze.
-Some Magic Upscale textures are glitched and show borders: Hell Bomber, Shadow Flare.
-Selecting NO CHANGE for battle models and installing weapons models may result in missing textures if existing battle models don't already have enough texture slots.
-Selecting NO CHANGE for field models and installing hair styles may result in glitched heads if existing field models are not compatible.
-FF7Music conflicts with game controller to keyboard emulators such as Joy2Pad and Xpadder.
-Alternate Hairstyles are disabled for some models.
-Battle model animations for the Green Frog (RSAA) and Purple Frog (HBAA) are glitched.
-With Menu Overhaul all save menus that are not from an actual save point will have the pointer on the wrong line.
-With Menu Overhaul the Junon taxi-helicopter is broken: Out of Town goes to Other District, Other District crashes the game.
-With Menu Overhaul some Yes/No menu options are reversed.
-When Installing on Re-Release version, features such as achievements, cloud saves and the trainer are lost.

Code: [Select]
Bootleg Front End
Release 2012.12.30.040

_______             __   __              _______                  __    _______          __
|   _   .-----.-----|  |_|  .-----.-----.|   _   .----.-----.-----|  |_ |   _   .-----.--|  |
|.  1   |  _  |  _  |   _|  |  -__|  _  ||.  1___|   _|  _  |     |   _||.  1___|     |  _  |
|.  _   |_____|_____|____|__|_____|___  ||.  __) |__| |_____|__|__|____||.  __)_|__|__|_____|
|:  1    \                        |_____||:  |                          |:  1   |
|::.. .  /                               |::.|                          |::.. . |
`-------'                                `---'                          `-------'

Info:
Configuring a fully modded FF7 was never easier

BFE-- a front end for Bootleg.
BFE is a graphical interface for the Bootleg FF7 configurator.

Download Bootleg and the mods separately.

How to use:
Extract the contents of this archive into a folder with Bootleg.exe.
Run BFE.exe
Configure options
Click the Run Bootleg button

Installation:
BFE.exe requires the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 found at:
    http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=19

Locations:
Destination Location = The folder where Final Fantasy VII is installed
Mod Source = Location of the mod files downloaded separately
FF7 Install Image = a .ZIP file with the contents of the Final Fantasy VII installation folder. Used to quickly run Bootleg without reinstalling FF7.
Bootleg.exe Location = The folder containing Bootleg.exe
Temporary Files = Location of temporary files while Bootleg runs.  Requires a minimum 16GB free space.
« Last Edit: 2013-06-28 20:33:48 by Template »

JordanKerk99

• View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: 2013-06-28 21:06:18 »
I'm running it on Windows 7. I've tried to redownload any of the mods that it got suck on and it didn't work. It always makes it up to the Aeris revival mod and then gets stuck unless I disable it. Last time I disabled it, it got stuck on the Eidos logo install.

I've also made sure to do everything in the Readme. The only thing I am not sure of is does it HAVE to be .net 2.0 or can it be a newer version. I have a newer version than it.
« Last Edit: 2013-06-28 21:08:04 by JordanKerk99 »

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: 2013-06-28 21:26:33 »
Jordan:
I'm pretty sure just doing the 4.5 .NET is fine.

Mods folder with bootleg exe and bfe.exe in it should look something like this (click on the pic to enlarge):

I dunno if this was an old issue and no one ever brought it up but I swear you have to have that 7za.exe file in there too. And it needs to be called 7za. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree.

You have the Microsoft Visual C++ x64 and x86 stuff installed?

I'm really just throwing random stuff out there. Normally I'd pass this off to tier II but we don't have a tier II.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
 :-P My own issue which no one will bother with:
Why is it after bootleg 40 most of the field materias we see in the game do not have an animation? Starting at the first bombing mission and "Restore" materia it's just a plain unanimated model. Yet outside Aerith's house the purple materia "Cover" is animated. I would like to animate them all but I can't even find where that field animation for the working Cover materia is.

PitBrat is the one to ask... Is he still away?
« Last Edit: 2013-06-28 23:28:30 by Template »

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #2585 on: 2013-06-28 23:54:00 »
PitBrat is the one to ask... Is he still away?

Honestly, he has me worried. I don't get responses from him much anymore, and he visits here a lot less than he used to. It's been this way for 4-5 months now  :(

DraigoDragon

• View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: 2013-06-29 14:10:26 »
Honestly, he has me worried. I don't get responses from him much anymore, and he visits here a lot less than he used to. It's been this way for 4-5 months now  :(

Great now your beginning to scare me now thanks a lot :(

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: 2013-06-29 14:18:00 »
Im sure he has too much on his mind now and taking a small break from all the support and his Bootleg program which consumed alot of effort and time for him and is waiting for more mods and tools to arrive and be completed and then he'l return and abck in action for Bootleg 0401 :)
« Last Edit: 2013-06-29 14:19:33 by e1sunz »

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: 2013-06-29 18:17:06 »
I think it makes sense to wait until a lot has happened but we're getting there. After update to Makuo Reactor something interesting may finally happen with resizing the models to correct proportions to backgrounds. There should be some upcoming flevel modifications to fix missing props, too. I'm really excited about that stuff.

But yah, I would be surprised if PB never got the bug to revamp bootleg again. And I'm not surprised he needed and deserved a really good long break. 

I don't care how complicated and difficult bootleg installs are for people to learn , it is the coolest thing since sliced bread. It's like watching 50,000 dominoes fall in sequence and then it catches a rat with a net at the end.

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: 2013-06-29 23:28:06 »
I'm still alive.

A few old games have distracted me lately. I recently discovered the worlds of Ultima.

I'm at an impasse with Bootleg. The current batch format is woefully inadequate for the scope of this project. The whole thing needs ported to VB.net for future progress. I could slap together an 040.1 release that contains a few small fixes and Kaldarasha's improved unshaded models.

These are completed fixes. What else is important?
    Added Aerith Death Mask Face Fix
    Revised Language Conversion when Using the 2012 ReRelease
    Revised German Language Translation Menus with Translation and Hex Edits by Kompass63
    Revised Menu Overhaul Installation to Prevent Broken Timers
    +Fixed Incorrect Highwind Model Installing
    +Fixed Missing ULGP Error During Language Conversion
    +Fixed Modified Animations Installing when Fixes is Selected
    +Fixed Missing Millenia's Ultima Weapon
    Integrated Mods: touphScript-ger-exe-txt.zip

Kompass63

• View Profile
« Reply #2590 on: 2013-06-30 02:59:58 »
I'm at an impasse with Bootleg. The current batch format is woefully inadequate for the scope of this project. The whole thing needs ported to VB.net for future progress.
I think it goes well with batch format, I understand that at least :-D

I could slap together an 040.1 release that contains a few small fixes and Kaldarasha's improved unshaded models.

Revised German Language Translation Menus with Translation and Hex Edits by Kompass63
fix registry keys for UAC (see my FF7_GameConverter.bat for more infos)
Waiting for touphScript 2.0...
fixing Shinra-Manison Safe Digits (occurs if 9999 Break limits from Aalis Driver is used)
fixing MenuOverhaul Battlemenu-issue (occurs if 9999 Break limits from Aalis Driver is used)  http://img5.fotos-hochladen.net/uploads/bootlegbattlemu8ojknelzf.png
Removing the Compatibility Flags from ff7.exe, ff7config.exe and ff7music.exe, Flags not needed...

Do you have read my PM?
« Last Edit: 2013-06-30 03:24:30 by Kompass63 »

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: 2013-06-30 03:12:22 »
I think it's definitely worth waiting for Reunion Menu Overhaul to be released and tested.

If you have time, you should take a look at Kaldarasha's reworked German flevel, if you haven't already. Even if you don't speak German it's worth seeing a couple things: the resized field models are noticeable. Also, the Kalm flashback features "a unique young Cloud model". I have not tested the flashback. I assume it's the short one with Tifa? These are things that can be done to the English version np, but it will make it easy on everyone if Kaldy can just batch out the process with a new version of Makou Reactor that has mass import.

Also there are more Unshaded models coming and a handful of new animations for a few battle models.

I think the reworked HQBarretRedux (not the cmh175 version with the earring) might replace the Asmodean refaced HQBarret from last version. The one from boot40 has a bad animation. The one linked is the same as the one from 40 but the animation is repaired.

The issue with the Avalanche GUI not being compatible with Menu Overhaul anymore is important, I think. Omitting the GUi from the boot process mostly solves the problem but the safe way to do it is to cancel the GUI install once it's begun. Bootleg 40 with Avalanche GUI installed with it includes way too many files in the menu/mods folder and they conflict with the ones installed by MO. The result is subtle glitches that most people don't realize are incorrect. The menu system is cleaner and crisper without the avalanche GUI.

The repair for the SHINE animations of the Team Avalanche materia field models is worth doing, too, I think.   

I'll try to remember some more things.

Edit: I think there are some old World Map textures that were done that got lost somewhere in the ether. They were done by Grimmy... I can't find them anymore. If memory serves certain ones were far better than what we're using... like his chocobo ranch. I suppose I could be remembering wrong but I just thought I'd ask since PB seems to be around a bit atm.

I'd also like an option for the old Romeo14 materias, not the AC ones, but the nice ones that were originally included with the Avalanche Hi res, iirc. They were really slick but DLPB retired them for some reason. Maybe there was an incompatibility idk if that's doable.

One thing that drives me nuts is the scene in the first bombing mission train when the Midgar employee has a piece of the background coming through his stomach. No idea how to fix that.

Also I think you should structure the option to remove glitched lighting effects from Facepalmer in such a way that strongly discourages doing it. I've tried both and the hi res lighting is way way more appealing, flickering or pulsing or not.

Edit: Kompass's Game Converter is definitely worth looking at. It does a bunch of things including allow for bootleg to be installed on XP, which I have heard is problematic or impossible. If nothing else you can just steal his ideas and use them for bootleg41 :P
« Last Edit: 2013-07-01 12:05:28 by Template »

DraigoDragon

• View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: 2013-07-02 05:36:19 »
Damn it's hard to use some of these character models specially red XIII and yuffie "shudder"

Also how would one mod the 2012 version i bootlegged it today but it wouldn't play just say your missing disk 1
« Last Edit: 2013-07-02 08:07:58 by DraigoDragon »

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: 2013-07-02 08:50:11 »
Damn it's hard to use some of these character models specially red XIII and yuffie "shudder"

I think I know what you mean by this: they are hard to install and have problems? Wait, is that what you meant? lol

Also how would one mod the 2012 version i bootlegged it today but it wouldn't play just say your missing disk 1
Shot in the dark: you didn't check the box for any cd key in bootleg configuration and you dont have a disc1 in the virtual drive. Install the any cd key patch. its available somewhere around here, Big Lost i mean List of Mods maybe.

AND/OR
Create a virtual CD-ROM drive and mount the FF7 ISO.
Then run Bootloader as administrator.
Click CONFIGURE and change the CD-ROM drive letter to match the virtual CD-ROM drive.
Click SAVE.

Make sure that you create a virtual CD-ROM drive, otherwise you'll encounter problems.

« Last Edit: 2013-07-02 08:51:54 by Template »

DraigoDragon

• View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: 2013-07-02 10:37:33 »
I think I know what you mean by this: they are hard to install and have problems? Wait, is that what you meant? lol
Shot in the dark: you didn't check the box for any cd key in bootleg configuration and you dont have a disc1 in the virtual drive. Install the any cd key patch. its available somewhere around here, Big Lost i mean List of Mods maybe.

AND/OR

The red XIII and yuffie battle models are awful and I downloaded so I don't have any CD to put In the drive >.>

Edit: Now all I need Is to know how to change the awful hitting sound effects "and maybe other's" and how to get the music to actually start working >:(

D Edit: "Flips Table" "Kicks chair" "Yells words that should not be spoken ever"
« Last Edit: 2013-07-04 12:27:06 by DraigoDragon »

saftle

• View Profile
« Reply #2595 on: 2013-07-04 18:26:10 »

The High Quality FMV Project from cmh175 would be awesome to have as well Pitbrat. http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14249.0

By the way, could you take a look at my FF7 Workshop-ish Site thread here. http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14383.0
Would love your feedback.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #2596 on: 2013-07-04 19:57:46 »
I'm still alive.

A few old games have distracted me lately. I recently discovered the worlds of Ultima.

I'm at an impasse with Bootleg. The current batch format is woefully inadequate for the scope of this project. The whole thing needs ported to VB.net for future progress. I could slap together an 040.1 release that contains a few small fixes and Kaldarasha's improved unshaded models.

Excellent, I will add this update to the Tutorial page.

Template and Kompass63 have already said most of what needs to be said. A couple things I would add:
  • "Cloud without Sword (Bloodshot)" Field Model installs the black Masamune on his back.
  • Some have reported a crash on Shinra floor 65 when opening the last chest for the Floor 66 keycard. It can be fixed by replacing the file "blin65_1" inside flevel.lgp with its original. I think it has some correlation with Mode Switching and Hardcore Mod being the chosen difficulty, but I'm not entirely sure.
  • I would like to see these FMV's added: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14249.0

I'm looking forward to this patch. Let me know if you need some testing, as we now have clear spots we can check  :)

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: 2013-07-05 22:04:12 »
Not sure if this is bug or intentional or whatever but in Bootleg mod listing when selecting a music option like anxious heart the mod listing says it requires ff7music to download and install also but anxious heart has its own so no need, this happens to other music options like remix music option with ff7music yes that's normal but also requires Anxious Heart?  :o
Sorry for making it sound more complicated than it is lol 

Sachichan

• View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: 2013-07-06 16:46:34 »
im having having trouble installing this on steam version. Everytime i try to "run bootleg" on BFE, it gives "Access Denied, installation aborted" error. i am sure that i have full admin rights for all needed folders and files, UAC is off, even tried booting in safe mode to kill all conflicting programs. OS is win7 home premium 64bit.

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: 2013-07-06 16:50:36 »
I should really buy the re-release, if only for helping...

Try to run Bootleg as admin and make sure the game is not installed in a system folder (Program Files and the Desktop), that it contains no spaces or special characters. For example, C:\Games\FFVII would work.