Author Topic: FFVIII Modding Question: Will Steam mods work on the Japanese version??  (Read 5302 times)

livetruthfully

• View Profile
Hey guys,

I was gonna buy the Steam Japanese version to play it in its native language, but I want to get the most out of the HD experience as well. Anyone know if most of the mods will be compatible with the JP version, or at least the graphical/texture ones?

If anyone has experience with it, your feedback is appreciated!  ;D

NeuroSephrioth

• Neuro Sephiroth
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
As far as I know, they will work, but it'll convert it to English, unless you change the language in bootleg before installing mods. I don't know if there is a Japanese option in bootleg.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
Not the HQ fonts. And I'm not sure if Mcindus can make some for it.

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
This is FF8, not FF7. There is no Bootleg for FF8 (at least not yet - there's currently no plan to have one; not enough mods to warrant it).

livetruthfully

• View Profile
Thanks for all the replies guys.

Turns out the mods (whatever ones exist) working with the Japanese version is the least of my problems. I can't even find a place to download the Japanese version being a foreigner outside of Japan. In case anyone is curious, they don't accept debit/credit cards from overseas to download from their store.

I appreciate all of the feedback though!

Aavock

• View Profile
The japanese FFVIII PC version already includes freshly made hi-res font textures because this is first time Japan get a PC release of the game. The Tonberry mods might work but probably needs some tweaks.

Mcindus

• Artist, Modder, Musician.
    • View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
The japanese FFVIII PC version already includes freshly made hi-res font textures because this is first time Japan get a PC release of the game. The Tonberry mods might work but probably needs some tweaks.

I would be very interested in upscaling the Japanese version.  I wonder what textures have been done vs. what haven't...

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Turns out the mods (whatever ones exist) working with the Japanese version is the least of my problems. I can't even find a place to download the Japanese version being a foreigner outside of Japan. In case anyone is curious, they don't accept debit/credit cards from overseas to download from their store.

I appreciate all of the feedback though!

If you get a copy, let me know - you could be integral in helping us get this ball rolling.

livetruthfully

• View Profile
I would be very interested in upscaling the Japanese version.  I wonder what textures have been done vs. what haven't...

If you get a copy, let me know - you could be integral in helping us get this ball rolling.

Happy to hear that! I'm on the verge of getting my hands on a copy of it. It's a real pain shopping from the Japanese Square Enix store when you don't live in Japan, but I'm one step away from getting it figured out.

As long as my assistance is legal of course, I'll be happy to help out!