Author Topic: gjoerulv's hardcore mod guides? FF VII  (Read 91337 times)

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
Re: gjoerulv's hardcore mod guides? FF VII
« Reply #50 on: 2013-10-30 12:36:10 »
I remember you saying you don't have Death Force, Jon. That makes the Death Sentence effect on Red Light a major problem as Confusion has to be guarded against. I've got a few ideas that might help.

-) Cloud's Cross Slash can paralyse Jenova and on Wait ATB at the slowest speed this'd buy you a good few turns to get your team set up and put some damage down. Also, if Cloud can survive one Red Light hit it'll very likely fill his limit bar again (100% certainty if the Fury status sticks to him) so he can use it again to keep Jenova Paralysed in-between her attacks. If you can get the first turn and use Cross Slash, followed by Slow, then you'd have a major advantage going into the fight; it depends on Cloud's starting ATB.

-) The Slow status is the key to winning; she has 200 Speed so you have to slow her down. Haste on your team may or may not be a good idea. If it doesn't get you an extra turn then it just makes you more vulnerable to Death Sentence and Dual Drain.

-) Tifa's Powersoul will likely deal max damage if she is hit into Near-Death by Red Light and if it gives her the Death Sentence status. Combine that with Jenova's 2x weakness to physical attacks and some strength boosting equipment and/or the Berserk status and she'll probably be able to kill Jenova in about 18 hits, assuming it does 9999 damage. And then there's her limit break, of course, which can hit multiple times.

I think the key is being able to survive one hit from Red Light. That'd give you Cross Slash and a tonne of power to put down with a PowerSoul. The third character would be there to facilitate the other two and heal them up. If you level up until you have just enough HP to survive one blast from Red Light then I think those suggestions above could do the trick.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #51 on: 2013-10-30 18:29:08 »
Yes paralyse works also.

The Griever enemy can be fought at the area where you have the icicles drop to to advance. Not where they drop from, but where they drop to (maybe also where they drop to; don't remember).

If you don't have tranquillizers you can steal them from Headbombers. The penguin like enemies.

Of course, I assume you can go back into the caves, which may not be the case. :P

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #52 on: 2013-10-31 00:25:33 »
    Tifa (back)
    • Dragon Claw - Steal (Mug w/ Full LB), Enemy Skill, Long Range
    • Fire Armlet
    • Ribbon

Cloud (front)
    • Enhanced Sword - Barrier, Enemy Skill, Revive
    • Wizard Bracelet - Added Effect + Destruct (Prevents Death Touch)
    • Fire Ring

Barrett (back)
    • Micro Laser - Enemy Skill
    • Dragon Armlet - Elemental + Fire, All + Time
    • Ribbon

Defensively -  Everyone is heavily protected or absorbs Fire. Sadness on everyone. MBarrier on Cloud, who can Revive Tifa or Barrett on Death Touch. White Wind can cure Confusion on Cloud. Fill all the other materia slots with HP/MP Plus.

Offensively - Slow on Jenny. Haste on the group. Burn down Jenny's MP pool as fast as possible with Magic Hammer. She will eventually run out and be unable to cast. Spam melee until she dies.

JonJon412

• ;)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #53 on: 2013-10-31 03:59:53 »
    Thanks for all the replies Gjoerulv, SegaChief and EQ2Alyza, I feel like crap because I read them, but no matter what I won't give up and I have a couple of saves that are a bit behind so I could go back in case theres something I might need that I don't have at the moment.

Gjoerulv: I kinda left behind the Nailbat and Fury ring, when I fell to the bottom of where the giant clock is on Temple Of The Ancients the dragons beat my ass real quick because everyone was on backrow and the damage they dealt was insane so I didn't bother with it. I saw the Fury Ring on Gonganga before I hit The City of Ancients and I thought to myself "I probably won't need it" and I didn't got it :( I'm gonna level up the Destruct materia so I can capitalize on the Added Effect combo :)

SegaChief: True I don't have Death Force but I may backtrack to see if I can catch those jokers that do it by casting reflect on them like Gjoerulv said not long ago. I thought the paralize effect didn't work on Jenova's but if it does I'm gonna use it :) and I will use Slow on her, I don't know how I didn't thought of that before and the ATB is on active because I thought it would be kinda newbish to have it on Wait but I'm desperate so I'll probably gonna change it :)

EQ2Alyza: That Magic Hammer strategy is what I did to the bastards that you have to fight when you pick up Kujata, didn't thought it might help with this but another one I'm gonna apply when I challenge her again, I'm not sure I should use haste on team since its like a double edge sword, but since she's weak to physical attacks I might.

I'm not sure when I'm gonna game again I gotta do a few things but by Sunday I will report again to what has happened. I'm gonna search for a program so I can record the battle so I can share it with you all, if you know a good program feel free to let me know :)

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
      • View Profile
    « Reply #54 on: 2013-10-31 14:05:04 »
    Hi Jon,

Good programs tend to cost money but if you run FF7 in a window then you might be able to use a program called Camstudio. It's not 100% stable but it's free and might do the trick. Otherwise, there's Fraps if you don't mind spending some money and have a multi-core PC (or a really, really good single-core PC).

And ATB Wait isn't really a newbish option; some fights are much easier with ATB Active because statuses can wear off much faster, like if the enemy uses Barrier, Shield, Regen, and Peerless or if you've been hit with Dual Drain. Picking your ATB is part of the strategy, I reckon.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
    • Global moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #55 on: 2013-11-01 01:25:56 »
    I would use group Haste after she's run out of MP. At that point it benefits to kill her quicker.

gjoerulv

• me
      • View Profile
      • My Youtube
    « Reply #56 on: 2013-11-02 06:22:33 »
    ...the dragons beat my ass real quick because everyone was on backrow and the damage they dealt was insane...

Those dragons can easily be defeated by mini.

I'm not sure if I agree with the MP danage strategy. It may as well end up taker longer. She has almost 7000 mp. Even if you take the reverse absorb effect into account, you still need to deal roughly 4000 damage worth of damage. It's a safer bet, but defiantly much slower (I think).

With my setup I dealt at least 7-8000 on an average each turn; probably more as I got lucky with critical damage and counters. Cloud did about 5000 normal damage a turn; Tifa (by countering) about 1500 each turn.

JonJon412

• ;)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #57 on: 2013-11-03 23:17:14 »
    Ok, this time I lasted a whole lot more time, even thought I might have her but she had her way one again due to Death Sentence.

I'm so close I can smell it, I feel dumb that I didn't knew Peace Ring protected from Confusion, but slowing her down brought a whole new life to the battle.

I'm so close yes I am.

I'm gonna level up a few stuff and I'm sure next time its gonna be my time.

Cloud 55
    Barret 55
    Tifa 47

JonJon412

• ;)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #58 on: 2013-11-22 01:49:52 »
    Tried 2 times again, same fate, not to add that the stupid Tifa got confused and casted on Jenova Dragon Force.

I'm going on vacation soon, I'm gonna have to level up some materia and stuff when I get the chance, nothing else I can do, I won't give up, got over 20 hours on those saves.

JonJon412

• ;)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #59 on: 2013-11-24 23:12:30 »
    I DID IT!!!! I FACKING DID IT BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh man! It took me 20 minutes to kill and even though I did it with ease this time I wasted too much time on the battle. For protection:

Cloud had Added Effect + Destruct and a Peace Ring.
    Tifa had  Ribbon.
    Barret had Ribbon.

How did it go? I started the battle with Cloud ready to do Cross-Slash, right after I paralyzed him, Tifa doing Dragon Force and Barret doing Mbarrier to help Cloud for the moment till we got everyone on enoughs DF'S. Cloud did Slow on him and that's were I knew I had the best chance but I still did something wrong.

I had Cloud using Mug the whole fight, since it was paired with Added Cut and I get 2 hits for it and the rest of the team watching health with White Wind and I hit him with a lot, A LOT of Magics Hammers but he never ran out of MP it seemed. I had major luck because most of his Death spells were towards Cloud who had protection from it, he hit Barret and Tifa with it but I was ready to rez and heal since he was slowed and had more chances to react before he did.

All I did was spam physical attacks, watch health and freeze him with Cross-Slash whenever I could, damn I'm satisfied I beat this son of a bitch.

Thanks to all of you guys who contributed with tips, couldn't have done it without your advice :) I feel like I beat the game LOL!

Now I'm gonna watch SegaChief's video on how he did it  ;D

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
    • Global moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #60 on: 2013-11-24 23:32:20 »
    Grats  :)

My fight starts at 22:25: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzWb-zMsjLo&list=PLB3794695EC5A2382&index=34

I fight the same way I described in my earlier post.

JonJon412

• ;)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #61 on: 2013-11-24 23:36:21 »
    Thanks man! I'm gonna watch yours too, I just watched SegaChief's and I'm curious how other people beat her :)

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
      • View Profile
    « Reply #62 on: 2013-11-25 01:05:19 »
    I said already, but congrats again. I basically just waded in with a physical hitter (the Strength boost from the Gigas Armlet is pretty healthy) while the other two maintained health. Peace Rings were probably used, and Death Force takes care of, well, Death. Enjoy your vacation!

JonJon412

• ;)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #63 on: 2013-11-25 02:38:09 »
    First thing I did when I got back in the map was get the Death Force skill from the turtle LOL!

I sure as hell wasn't expecting another boss after killing the leader at the top of Condor Fort :( beat my ass.

JonJon412

• ;)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #64 on: 2013-11-25 03:25:51 »
    I said already, but congrats again. I basically just waded in with a physical hitter (the Strength boost from the Gigas Armlet is pretty healthy) while the other two maintained health. Peace Rings were probably used, and Death Force takes care of, well, Death. Enjoy your vacation!

Thanks bud :D btw what was the tune the video had? I liked it and sounds like its from another RPG.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
      • View Profile
    « Reply #65 on: 2013-11-25 23:13:43 »
    The first one was a track from The Last Remnant. Not played it, but the name jumped out at me when I was scouting for music. The one after it is from FF2 but I often get early FF music mixed up.

gjoerulv

• me
      • View Profile
      • My Youtube
    « Reply #66 on: 2013-11-26 20:41:33 »
    Congratulations on your feat! Well done!  ;D

JonJon412

• ;)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #67 on: 2013-11-26 22:41:06 »
    Congratulations on your feat! Well done!  ;D

Thanks! I didn't quit because its been a great experience, I had over 30 hours when I defeat it and  I like challenges! Now I gotta tackle those birds and get the 2 huge materia :)

JonJon412

• ;)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #68 on: 2013-11-27 01:50:19 »
    Very clever, those damn birds resurrect themselves once they "die" but they never "die" because they're always on the screen, I noticed because there was no option to attack a bird one time  >:(

Just like the duo from hell they gotta die all together huh? Very well

PS Never use Kujata on them, expected maximum damage, they got recovery  >:(

JonJon412

• ;)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #69 on: 2013-11-27 19:35:31 »
    I took out the birds, all I had to do was bring their HP around 2000, then hit them with something big this time Bahamut for over 4000. Had to take out Counter Attack and stop doing the Poison magic cause a couple of times it got screwed because of this.

I made it all the way to the first cart where you fight the trio once again on Mt.Corel, but haven't beaten them yet, I sensed Theo and said it was weak against Restorative Magic but when I showered him with Cure 3 it just gave him life ???

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
      • View Profile
    « Reply #70 on: 2013-11-27 22:18:53 »
    It's possible to get the birds to 'yield' where they kill themselves. Not sure what the trigger for it is, might be MP.

Theo's 'weakness' to restorative magic means he gets double healing from cure spells, makes his Cure2 more effective without having to ramp his magic up (which would have made Bolt2/3 a bit much). Enemies that absorb healing are the ones that take damage from it. And that reminds me, never combine Full Cure with MP or HP Absorb. It is a bad idea.

JonJon412

• ;)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #71 on: 2013-11-28 01:07:28 »
    I see...not sure if I'm gonna give it another try today but it is a priority.

I just woke up from a single nap and instead of coming to the computer I grabbed the 3DS that was near by since I bought the new Zelda game, it's awesome :D

JonJon412

• ;)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #72 on: 2013-11-29 02:16:55 »
    Damn man, it took me 8 tries to stop the train. A couple of times I did beat the trio but 1 time I had none left to beat the driver and the other one just when I was pressing keys to stop the train the timer ran out.

I had to set up a couple of things:

Cid = Added Effect + Choco/Mog, Added Cut + Steal, Long Range, Time + All, E/S and Bahamut.
    Equipped = Partisan, Gigas Armlet and Power Wrist(For the Trio fight he had Bolt Armlet and Peace Ring)

RedXII = Elemental + Lighting(Armor), Restore + All, Comet, Alexander and E/S.
    Equipped = Crystal Comb, Imperial Guard and Peace Ring.

Barret = Elemental + Ramuh(Armor), Barrier + All, Mp Turbo + Neo Bahamut, Deathblow, Magic Plus and E/S.
    Equipped = A-M Cannon, Fourth Bracelet and Peace Ring.

I got lucky at the end with the last of the Trio and ended up stealing a Mystile :D

And so we go forth!!!  >:(

Gonna watch how SegaChief and EQ2 did it now :D

JonJon412

• ;)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #73 on: 2013-11-29 02:41:26 »
    WTH?!?

BOOOOO SegaChief BOOOO!!!

You used L4 Suicide on the Trio, I'm disappointed LOL!  :-D

EQ2 had over 10K of life and could deal over 10K of damage! I didn't to that with my Mod, not sure if I knew how :(

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
    • Global moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #74 on: 2013-11-29 03:20:42 »
    If you used Bootleg to mod your game, then you can break the 9999 limit in the Bootloader Configure settings.