Author Topic: [Tutorial] Guide to Installing FF7 PC with Mods.  (Read 125510 times)

amh89

Re: [Tutorial] Guide to Installing FF7 PC with Mods.
« Reply #50 on: 2011-05-07 22:58:49 »
Considering that, as I said, it looks extremely bad on my screen resolution vs. the screenshots I posted (due to their size - I am not able to resize them), yes, it is. I had assumed this was the forum to go to in order to ask for help, but it appears I'm just getting a passive-aggressive response instead.

If someone else would like to help me without clogging the thread, my PM box is open.
« Last Edit: 2011-05-08 02:32:40 by amh89 »

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2011-05-08 14:15:31 »
Try forcing antialiasing in your control panel.

amh89

« Reply #52 on: 2011-05-08 19:40:05 »
Try forcing antialiasing in your control panel.

Thanks so much for the suggestion. :) I turned it on and it fixed the jagged edges, but now I have a strange issue with neon-green grid lines appearing on the screen in-game. Any ideas what this could be? I tried to use the solution with RivaTuner but could not find an option for a 3D Driver when I clicked on the triangle for customizing.

Here is a screenshot of what I see in-game, then what I see in RivaTuner, respectively.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

There is no custom triangle button in the second menu, as I see in the screenshot located in this thread. http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=2670.0

Please let me know if you'd like me to create a separate thread, I don't want to step on the OP's toes.

EDIT: As an aside, yes, I have both a custom driver and TNT turned on, and the 1.02 patch installed. I am not running FF7 in compatibility or administrative modes, as the game won't start when I do that.
« Last Edit: 2011-05-08 19:48:24 by amh89 »

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2011-05-08 19:47:44 »
I know what that is, I have seen something like that before on my field upscale project, I think it is happening because the anti alias filter is being applied to each layer seperately and its making the edges non uniform. Maybe not, but that was the problem when I saw what your seeing. It was induced by a manual filter that I used in photoshop however. Unfortunately I don't know a way to fix it without loosing your smooth edges.

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2011-05-08 19:55:12 »
You don't have the custom driver working.

amh89

« Reply #55 on: 2011-05-08 20:04:30 »
Huh, okay. I'll try doing a reinstall of the mod and see if that helps. If it doesn't, then I'll keep experimenting with drivers and such until I find a solution; if I fix it, I'll be sure to post an outline + screenshots of what I did here.

Any suggestions in the meantime would still be very welcome, though; I appreciate the help.

EDIT 1: Looking into RivaTuner right now. It looks like people with the newer ATI Radeon 5000 series (I have 5870 Mobility) are going to have to wait until June for a compatible release of Rivaturner for their drivers. You currently cannot even set up a forcedriver setting in the power user menu to get it to work.
« Last Edit: 2011-05-08 21:27:18 by amh89 »

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2011-05-08 22:48:13 »
I have the Mobility 5870 and have no problems getting ff7 to work properly. And i dont use rivatuner.

amh89

« Reply #57 on: 2011-05-09 00:28:07 »
I have the Mobility 5870 and have no problems getting ff7 to work properly. And i dont use rivatuner.

Color me jelly, dude; I've been messing with this thing for a few days now trying to get it to look halfway decent.

Is it possible I could PM you with a few questions?

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2011-05-09 00:48:55 »
Sure.

amh89

« Reply #59 on: 2011-05-09 00:56:32 »
Well, just when all hope was lost...

I actually JUST found out how to fix it after posting that. For any of you having the same problems, follow the instructions on this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRhI9eaS22o

I installed the codec pack he suggested, turned on my custom driver, then installed the K-Pack again without uninstalling the previous codecs. It now works in full HD and looks beautiful!

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2011-05-09 04:48:18 »
Oh, you're using a pirated copy! No wonder it wasn't working. Aali's driver is designed only to work with legit copies.

That aside, you should buy the game because we don't support pirated copies, and because non-official versions of the game often have all sorts of changes that can cause issues with the game and with your PC.

klassic

« Reply #61 on: 2011-06-25 14:31:04 »
I am installing FF7 for the first time in about 5 years and I have never installed any patches or mods.  Am I right to think that I install the 1.02 patch before installing any of the other mods listed here?
« Last Edit: 2011-06-25 18:37:47 by Bosola »

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2011-06-25 18:41:23 »
I am installing FF7 for the first time in about 5 years and I have never installed any patches or mods.  Am I right to think that I install the 1.02 patch before installing any of the other mods listed here?

Yes. Install the 1.02 patch before anything else, and then install Aali's driver. Then you probably want to install Avalanches GUI and High res mods. Then you can install whatever mods you like afterwards.

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2011-06-26 02:06:52 »
These installation instruction are a great start toward Final Fantasy VII perfection.  I'm compiling a tutorial detailing the installation of the best optional mods for Final Fantasy VII.  I started a new thread under the heading 'Bootleg Edit for the FFVII Remix 2.5.1.'   If you know of any must have mods not already covered, please post a reply.

I'm puzzled as to exactly what reinstalling Avalanche (Beta 9)  accomplishes.  The author suggests "the mod for Avalanche is not set up right in the opengl."  What does that mean?  Is it just to change the map, materia and icon styles?

Thanks,
-PitBrat
 :evil:

Cloud_9

« Reply #64 on: 2011-06-26 16:34:15 »
hi Good day to all and thanks for this guide...i tried to follow it and i think it works except for the lucky tifa patch...and theres something weird too i had a previous save file whick kept showing up even though it was deleted and my save folder was empty when i use the FF7 Remix shorcut w/ openglconfig. but when i access the other normal FF7 game exe.. it doesnt show..and one more thing how do i install the AC mode patch within this?

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2011-06-26 18:50:57 »
hi Good day to all and thanks for this guide...i tried to follow it and i think it works except for the lucky tifa patch...and theres something weird too i had a previous save file whick kept showing up even though it was deleted and my save folder was empty when i use the FF7 Remix shorcut w/ openglconfig. but when i access the other normal FF7 game exe.. it doesnt show..and one more thing how do i install the AC mode patch within this?
I don't have the game installed right now, as I recently formatted my hard drive, but if I remember correctly there should be a folder in your Final Fantasy VII directory called Patches. Inside the Patches folder there should be two other folders named Do Not Want and Already Patched. Go into the Do Not Want folder and move the two Lucky Tifa Patch files into the Already Patched folder.

Most AC models are ripped from different games, which is illegal and we do not support. But if you would like to know how to add other custom models in your game, then follow this guide.

Cloud_9

« Reply #66 on: 2011-06-26 20:08:34 »
I don't have the game installed right now, as I recently formatted my hard drive, but if I remember correctly there should be a folder in your Final Fantasy VII directory called Patches. Inside the Patches folder there should be two other folders named Do Not Want and Already Patched. Go into the Do Not Want folder and move the two Lucky Tifa Patch files into the Already Patched folder.

Most AC models are ripped from different games, which is illegal and we do not support. But if you would like to know how to add other custom models in your game, then follow this guide.

thanks for the reply sir!! i really appreciate it...i did try moving the the 2 tifa files to the Already patched folder but it still wont work..
2nd is which shorcut do i use? the one that says.."%ProgramFiles%\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII\Run FFVII-Remix.bat" or "C:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII\ff7.exe"and on the really weird part is when ever i click "%ProgramFiles%\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII\Run FFVII-Remix.bat" and start a game, a save file appears which i deleted long ago..i have done multiple re-installs trying to get the mods and patches right and deleted every folders including saves

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2011-06-26 23:27:52 »
Not sure about the Lucky Tifa thing, but I've always ran the ff7.exe.

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2011-06-27 13:00:43 »
Cloud_9, If you're using Windows 7, make sure to run FF7.EXE with administrator privileges.
Otherwise, your save games and cache files are stored in:
    C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII
That's for a 64bit system.  For 32bit systems, just do away with the (x86).

When you run FF7.EXE as administrator, the game will store your save and cache files in the installation folder where you're looking now.
Also, you'll need to copy your old saves from the VirtualStore to the installation folder or they won't show up when you run FF7.EXE as administrator.

-PitBrat

Cloud_9

« Reply #69 on: 2011-06-28 10:37:37 »
@ Dark Fang and Pit Brat , thankssssssssssssss so much for all the help i finally figured things out.. but i still cant get lucky to work.. but thanks so much

zoostation

• All glory to the Hypnotoad
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 2011-07-04 02:38:00 »
Guide to installing FF7 PC with mods

Installing the latest custom Aali graphics driver for FF7.

Edit: Updating this to the new 0.7.10b config file, this is how mine looked after updating the config, but this was after doing all the steps below and after i changed my settings, not how it will look originally when your installing this.

For me to get this i would need to completely reinstall my FF7 PC again just to get the config file at this stage of installation, but i am not willing to do that at this moment, so if anyone else is installing this, they could simply copy and paste your config file into this thread and ill add it to the guide, it would be nice ;-)

Kylos, are you still looking for this config info? I'm at this point in a fresh install (no errors so far) and figured I'd ask before continuing to modify my config file.
FWIW: Windows 7, Aali's OpenGL 0.7.11b

zoostation

• All glory to the Hypnotoad
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 2011-07-04 09:06:50 »
So, for what it's worth, after installing Aali's opengl 0.7.11b, but before adjusting any configurations, the config file should look something like this:

Code: [Select]
# ff7_opengl-0.7.10b config file

## USER OPTIONS ##
## If you just want to play the game, these are the only options you'll want to change.

# set the window size (or fullscreen resolution) of FF7
# 0 means use original resolution (whatever ff7.exe provides)
# preserve_aspect adds black borders as needed to preserve a 4:3 aspect ratio
window_size_x = 0
window_size_y = 0
preserve_aspect = yes
fullscreen = yes

# mod directory
# subdirectroy of mods/ where textures will be loaded from
# does not affect the old external textures feature, those should still go in textures/
mod_path = none

# check your driver settings if this option doesn't seem to work
enable_vsync = yes

# limit snowboard, coaster and highway minigames to refresh rate / 2, i.e. 30fps for a 60hz display mode
# vsync must be enabled and working for this to have any effect
minigame_framelimiter = on

# same thing, but for the battle swirl
battleswirl_framelimiter = off

# allow FF7 to use linear filtering for its textures
# some things look slightly better with this option on, but alot of textures just lose their detail
linear_filter = off

# plugin used to play music, the FF7Music plugin MUST be enabled for FF7Music to work.
# If no music plugin is loaded the game will play MIDI as usual but FF7Music will NOT work.
#music_plugin = plugins/ff7music.fgp

## ENHANCEMENTS ##
## All the little extras that weren't part of the original game, default options include only trivial bug fixes.

# make all dialog boxes transparent, same effect as the transparent dialog boxes YAMP patch
transparent_dialogs = off

# allow max hp/mp to go over 9999, same effect as the YAMP patch by dziugo
break_9999limit = no

# include armor in magic defense calculation
mdef_fix = yes

# expand battle viewport to cover entire screen and make the battle menu transparent
new_battle_interface = off

# post-processing shader, used to apply fullscreen effects
post_source = shaders/bloom2.post
enable_postprocessing = no

## ADVANCED OPTIONS ##
## Don't fiddle with these unless you know what you're doing.

# use shaders, if available and supported
# turn shaders off to use the OpenGL 1.1 backend
use_shaders = yes

# prevent glitches due to rounding errors by rendering in the nearest (larger, if supported)
# multiple of the original resolution and up/down-scaling
prevent_rounding_errors = yes

# enable alpha blending for textures without an existing blending effect
fancy_transparency = on

# display frames per second counter in upper right corner
show_fps = no

# display some real-time debug information
show_stats = no

# store external textures in a compressed cache for increased performance
# compression is not lossless, some artifacts may appear when this option is in use
# texture cache does NOT update automatically if the source image changes, however, deleting anything from the cache
# will cause that file to be recreated from the source
compress_textures = yes

# use pixel buffer objects to speed up texture loading
# will probably crash horribly on ATI cards but should work for NVIDIA users
use_pbo = no

# replace FF7's default framelimiter timer source
use_new_timer = yes

# use a more stable (but less accurate) timer to control FF7's framelimiter
# this option has no effect unless the use_new_timer option is on
use_stable_timer = no

# plugin used to play movies, FFMpeg is the only choice for now
movie_plugin = plugins/ffmpeg_movies.fgp

## MODDER OPTIONS ##
## These options are mostly useful to modders and should not be enabled during normal play.

# read files directly instead of using LGP archives
# for example; if FF7 is looking for aaab.rsd in char.lgp, this option will make it open direct/char/aaab.rsd first,
# if this file doesn't exist it will look for the original in the LGP archive
direct_mode = off

# show every failed attempt at loading a .png texture
show_missing_textures = no

And then after installing the latest Avalanche GUI, I have:

Code: [Select]
# ff7_opengl-0.7.10b config file

## USER OPTIONS ##
## If you just want to play the game, these are the only options you'll want to change.

# set the window size (or fullscreen resolution) of FF7
# 0 means use original resolution (whatever ff7.exe provides)
# preserve_aspect adds black borders as needed to preserve a 4:3 aspect ratio
window_size_x = 1280
window_size_y = 800
preserve_aspect = yes
fullscreen = yes

# mod directory
# subdirectroy of mods/ where textures will be loaded from
# does not affect the old external textures feature, those should still go in textures/
mod_path = avalanche

# check your driver settings if this option doesn't seem to work
enable_vsync = yes

# limit snowboard, coaster and highway minigames to refresh rate / 2, i.e. 30fps for a 60hz display mode
# vsync must be enabled and working for this to have any effect
minigame_framelimiter = on

# same thing, but for the battle swirl
battleswirl_framelimiter = on

# allow FF7 to use linear filtering for its textures
# some things look slightly better with this option on, but alot of textures just lose their detail
linear_filter = off

# plugin used to play music, the FF7Music plugin MUST be enabled for FF7Music to work.
# If no music plugin is loaded the game will play MIDI as usual but FF7Music will NOT work.
#music_plugin = plugins/ff7music.fgp

## ENHANCEMENTS ##
## All the little extras that weren't part of the original game, default options include only trivial bug fixes.

# make all dialog boxes transparent, same effect as the transparent dialog boxes YAMP patch
transparent_dialogs = off

# allow max hp/mp to go over 9999, same effect as the YAMP patch by dziugo
break_9999limit = yes

# include armor in magic defense calculation
mdef_fix = yes

# expand battle viewport to cover entire screen and make the battle menu transparent
new_battle_interface = on

# post-processing shader, used to apply fullscreen effects
post_source = shaders/bloom2.post
enable_postprocessing = no

## ADVANCED OPTIONS ##
## Don't fiddle with these unless you know what you're doing.

# use shaders, if available and supported
# turn shaders off to use the OpenGL 1.1 backend
use_shaders = yes

# prevent glitches due to rounding errors by rendering in the nearest (larger, if supported)
# multiple of the original resolution and up/down-scaling
prevent_rounding_errors = yes

# enable alpha blending for textures without an existing blending effect
fancy_transparency = on

# display frames per second counter in upper right corner
show_fps = no

# display some real-time debug information
show_stats = no

# store external textures in a compressed cache for increased performance
# compression is not lossless, some artifacts may appear when this option is in use
# texture cache does NOT update automatically if the source image changes, however, deleting anything from the cache
# will cause that file to be recreated from the source
compress_textures = yes

# use pixel buffer objects to speed up texture loading
# will probably crash horribly on ATI cards but should work for NVIDIA users
use_pbo = no

# replace FF7's default framelimiter timer source
use_new_timer = yes

# use a more stable (but less accurate) timer to control FF7's framelimiter
# this option has no effect unless the use_new_timer option is on
use_stable_timer = yes

# plugin used to play movies, FFMpeg is the only choice for now
movie_plugin = plugins/ffmpeg_movies.fgp

## MODDER OPTIONS ##
## These options are mostly useful to modders and should not be enabled during normal play.

# read files directly instead of using LGP archives
# for example; if FF7 is looking for aaab.rsd in char.lgp, this option will make it open direct/char/aaab.rsd first,
# if this file doesn't exist it will look for the original in the LGP archive
direct_mode = off

# show every failed attempt at loading a .png texture
show_missing_textures = no

Four20

« Reply #72 on: 2012-04-23 18:34:04 »
I just wanted to pop in and say a few things.

First of all thank you for the guide, and thank you to the people that spent their time to actually update this game when Square decides to ignore our cries for an HD remake.

I have a relatively new video card(1gb nvidia) but was having some issues when I first tried playing this game after following these instructions.

- I was unable to see the movies. I had to install some true[blah] codec before I was able to watch the FMV videos.
 - I was getting white screens after the intro FMV  movie, that seemed it was a white screen overlaying on top of the menus and any regular textures that wasn't an FMV movie(hard to explain, im sorry). It seems that Aali's Custom Graphics Driver was causing this. This specific guide gave a link so of course I tried the latest version of it. This is what was messing things up. After finding another guide they mentioned using 0.7.9b, so I got this version and now it works.

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 2012-04-23 21:06:55 »
Four20 this is a slightly old guide it hasn't been updated for a while so those problems could be because of the outdated links and info

Kylos

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 2012-05-25 00:51:09 »
Would like to thank everyone for the kind words to my guide.

I am about to install FF7 once again, but for a friend of mine. I recently finished off my hardcore mod save for this game, and killing Sephiroth was a real challenge! If any of the links are outdated, I apologize for that, just try and look for the most recent download, and you should be fine :)