Author Topic: Some filepath issues, no post-processing works  (Read 4092 times)

RecklessPrudence

• View Profile
Some filepath issues, no post-processing works
« on: 2019-07-18 13:30:16 »
Hey, I got a new hard drive recently, added it to the two in my computer already, uninstalled FF7 and reinstalled it to the new drive (since I wasn't sure if Steam's move game capability was up to the mods), did the whole 7th Heaven setup process (including downloading the updated 7th Heaven, 1.56 RC6), downloaded my favourite mods as well as a few new ones, and tried to start it. Only to run into some... downright weird filepath issues.

First off, every filepath in General Settings apart from the movies one had double backslashes almost every time, as well as having backslashes in the middle of the game folder. What should have looked like 'E:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII\ff7.exe' instead looked like 'E:\\Games\\Steam\\steamapps\\common\\FINAL\ FANTASY\ VII\ff7.exe'. It meant that I had a random folder in steamapps\common\ that was named FINAL, which had a folder in it named FANTASY and so on, including the two folders in mod\ inside VII\ from the two other filepath settings in the same window.

Once that was fixed, I tried starting it up, only for an error message saying 'Postprocessing initialization failed, check APP.LOG for more details'. APP.LOG had this to say:

Code: [Select]
[00000000] INFO: FF7/FF8 OpenGL driver version 0.8.1b
[00000000] INFO: Auto-detected version: FF7 1.02 US English
[00000000] INFO: ATI Technologies Inc. AMD Radeon (TM) R9 390 Series 4.6.13570 Compatibility Profile Context 19.7.1 26.20.13001.9005
[00000000] INFO: OpenGL 2.0 support detected
[00000000] INFO: Found swap_control extension
[00000000] INFO: Max texture size: 16384x16384
[00000000] INFO: Original resolution 640x480, window size 2560x1440, output resolution 1920x1440, internal resolution 3840x2160
[00000000] INFO: Shader limits: varying 128, vert uniform 16384, frag uniform 16384
[00000000] ERROR: failed to stat file E:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII\/shaders/ATI_ComplexMultiShader/ComplexMultiShader.post
[00000000] ERROR: init_postprocessing failed, postprocessing will be disabled
[00000000] INFO: FFMpeg movie player plugin loaded
[00000000] INFO: FFMpeg version SVN-r25886, Copyright (c) 2000-2010 Fabrice Bellard, et al.
[00000000] INFO: VGMStream music plugin loaded
[00000000] INFO: Loading external library Multi.dll
[00000000] LOCK UNLOCK TEST
[00000001] MATRIX INITIALIZE
[00000001] INITIALIZE DD/D3D END
[00000001] initializing sound...
[00000001] creating dsound primary buffer
[00000001] reading audio file
[00000001] loading static sounds
[00000001] sound initialized
[00000001] set music volume: 127
[00000001] set music volume: 127
[00000001] Entering MAIN
[00000001] Exiting MAIN
[00000001] START OF CREDITS!!!
[00000001] INFO: E:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII\data\movies\eidoslogo.avi; vp8/vorbis 1280x960, 30.000000 FPS, duration: 11.133000, frames: 334
[00000078] set music volume trans: 127->0, step=60
[00000143] END OF CREDITS!!!
[00000143] Entering MAIN
[00000143] set music volume: 127
[00000143] Exiting MAIN
[00000143] START OF MENU SYSTEM!!!
[00002081] WM_CLOSE
[00002081] END OF MENU SYSTEM!!!
[00002081] Field Quit
[00002081] UNINITIALIZE DD

The relevant portions being this:
[00000000] ERROR: failed to stat file E:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII\/shaders/ATI_ComplexMultiShader/ComplexMultiShader.post
[00000000] ERROR: init_postprocessing failed, postprocessing will be disabled

Note the folder it's looking in past the game one - all the backslashes are forward slashes! This happens no matter which shader I select, although obviously with different filenames. I went looking in shaders\ and found the only subdirectory was nolight\, with all others being in the root directory of shaders\ and no ComplexMultiShader.post at all, although every other option appears to have a .post, it's just that they seem to be in a different place to where the game is looking. And of course there's only one main.frag and main.vert in the shaders\ directory, all the others presumably having been overwritten by that one - although there remains a version of each of those in nolight\.

Any ideas what's happened, or how to fix it?

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
Re: Some filepath issues, no post-processing works
« Reply #1 on: 2019-07-18 14:06:41 »
Turn post-processing off. There's something wrong with how the game is launching and reading the path to the shaders folder. It's adding an unneeded / before shaders that's causing the wrong path to be read. I haven't figured a fix for it yet.

EDIT: I think I found the issue. Go into your 7H folder and open ConfigSpec-FF7OpenGL.xml with a text editor. Line 81 starts the section for the shader drop-down options. Edit all the / to the opposite \ and save the file. For example, the first option for Bloom2 is edited the correct way. The options following are all incorrect and need to be edited.

<Setting xsi:type="DropDown">
    <Group>Graphics</Group>
    <Name>Shader Options</Name>
    <Description>Shader options for ATI and NVIDIA.</Description>
    <Option>
      <Text>All - Bloom2</Text>
      <Settings>post_source=shaders\All_Bloom2\bloom2.post,frag_source=shaders\All_Bloom2\main.frag,vert_source=shaders\All_Bloom2\main.vert,yuv_source=shaders\All_Bloom2\yuv.frag</Settings>   
    </Option>
    <Option>
      <Text>All - Bloom2Dark</Text>
      <Settings>post_source=shaders/All_Bloom2Dark/Bloom2Dark.post,frag_source=shaders/All_Bloom2Dark/main.frag,vert_source=shaders/All_Bloom2Dark/main.vert,yuv_source=shaders/All_Bloom2Dark/yuv.frag</Settings>   
    </Option>
    <Option>
      <Text>All - SmartShader</Text>
      <Settings>post_source=shaders/All_SmartShader/SmartShaderPost.fx,frag_source=shaders/All_SmartShader/frag.fx,vert_source=shaders/All_SmartShader/vert.fx,yuv_source=shaders/All_SmartShader/yuv.fx</Settings>
    </Option>
    <Option>
      <Text>All - SmartShader2</Text>
      <Settings>post_source=shaders/All_SmartShader2/SmartShaderPost.fx,frag_source=shaders/All_SmartShader2/frag.fx,vert_source=shaders/All_SmartShader2/vert.fx,yuv_source=shaders/All_SmartShader2/yuv.fx</Settings>
    </Option>
    <Option>
      <Text>ATI - ComplexMultiShader</Text>
      <Settings>post_source=shaders/ATI_ComplexMultiShader/ComplexMultiShader.post,frag_source=shaders/ATI_ComplexMultiShader/main.frag,vert_source=shaders/ATI_ComplexMultiShader/main.vert,yuv_source=shaders/ATI_ComplexMultiShader/yuv.frag</Settings>
    </Option>
    <Option>
      <Text>ATI - SmartBloomAdvanced</Text>
      <Settings>post_source=shaders/ATI_SmartBloomAdvanced/SmartBloomAdvanced.post,frag_source=shaders/ATI_SmartBloomAdvanced/mainAdvanced.frag,vert_source=shaders/ATI_SmartBloomAdvanced/mainAdvanced.vert,yuv_source=shaders/ATI_SmartBloomAdvanced/yuvAdvanced.frag</Settings>
    </Option>
    <Option>
      <Text>ATI - SmartBloomHDR</Text>
      <Settings>post_source=shaders/ATI_SmartBloomHDR/SmartBloomHDR.post,frag_source=shaders/ATI_SmartBloomHDR/mainHDR.frag,vert_source=shaders/ATI_SmartBloomHDR/mainHDR.vert,yuv_source=shaders/ATI_SmartBloomHDR/yuvHDR.frag</Settings>
    </Option>
    <Option>
      <Text>Nvidia - ComplexMultiShader</Text>
      <Settings>post_source=shaders/Nvidia_ComplexMultiShader/ComplexMultiShader.post,frag_source=shaders/Nvidia_ComplexMultiShader/main.frag,vert_source=shaders/Nvidia_ComplexMultiShader/main.vert,yuv_source=shaders/Nvidia_ComplexMultiShader/yuv.frag</Settings>
    </Option>
  </Setting>
« Last Edit: 2019-07-18 14:16:29 by EQ2Alyza »

RecklessPrudence

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2019-07-19 11:50:58 »
Okay, done that - what about there only being one subdirectory in shaders\, so all the subdirectories that it searches in don't exist, and there's only one yuv.frag and no yuv.fx or yuvHDR.frag between all the options? Is there anything I can do about that, or do I just have to wait until the next release candidate of 7H?
« Last Edit: 2019-07-19 11:53:06 by RecklessPrudence »

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2019-07-19 12:58:22 »
The Game Converter installs all the shader sub folders and the files to go along. Did you not run that from STEP 1 in the Tutorial?

RecklessPrudence

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2019-07-19 14:03:26 »
Yeah, I did - and I used the same GameConverter I downloaded a year or more ago that worked fine back then! Hm. I'll try wiping the install and starting over, see if it happens the same way - before I only tested 7thHeaven through multiple installs.

LordUrQuan

• Alpha testing your worst nightmares
  • LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2019-07-19 14:29:55 »
I would suggest running the registry cleaning tool mentioned in the FAQ first, then the converter.  There may be old keys hanging around and getting in the way just like another fine person I helped a couple days ago who was also coming back to FF7 after an extended period away.

RecklessPrudence

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2019-07-19 17:01:42 »
Hmm... thought I did that to make sure, but will definitely make sure to do it again. Thanks!

RecklessPrudence

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2019-07-20 05:34:54 »
I would suggest running the registry cleaning tool mentioned in the FAQ first, then the converter.  There may be old keys hanging around and getting in the way just like another fine person I helped a couple days ago who was also coming back to FF7 after an extended period away.
Cleaned the keys, uninstalled, reinstalled from backup, ran the converter, checked shaders\, and - only one subfolder, same as last time. Tried installing to each of my three drives, cleaning between each one, even put the converter in each of their directories to be sure. Tried redownloading the converter. Nothing works. Is it because my virtual optical drive is now f: instead of the old e:? It used to be e:, until I got a third hard drive and called it e and my virtual optical f. That's the only thing I can think of that's changed from my old install that worked, apart from Windows updates...

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2019-07-20 06:10:59 »
What GC are you downloading? Post the FF7_GC.log please.

RecklessPrudence

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2019-07-20 09:00:34 »
What GC are you downloading? Post the FF7_GC.log please.
The one from the stickied 7thHeaven tutorial, freshly downloaded - although the old one I had from mid-17 didn't seem to have any different effects and was an identical size to the kilobyte, I figured better safe than sorry. Here's the .log, from one I did just now:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FF7 GameConverter, Version 7th Heaven
Creator: Kompass63
Editor: EQ2Alyza

Start running at    Date: 20/07/2019    Time: 18:48:09.09
Active code page: 850
ActualPath C:\Users\Matt\AppData\Local\Temp\7ZipSfx.001

You are running "Windows 10 Enterprise" on a 64 Bit Operating System (AMD64)

Real Management 32Bit WOW64

This patch is not yet applied.

Installation path found at...

""

If an installation path IS found, press ENTER.

If an installation path IN NOT found, TYPE IT IN and press ENTER.

EXAMPLE: "C:\Games\Final Fantasy VII" (parenthesis included)

corrected manual input FF7_new_Path "E:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII"

Patching...

Copying Registry Keys...

Setting GC Registry Keys...

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\GameConverterkeys

Setting language to en...

Detecting drive letter for FF7 Discs...

Drive letter for FF7DISC1 --- F:\

Movies path found at...

"E:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII\data\movies\"

Backing up files to be modified...

Backing up more files to be modified...

Copying English Files...

Copying 1.02 patch for ff7.exe...

Copying Aali's Custom Driver, version 0.8.1b...

Moving OGG music files...

Adding more Registry Keys...
Adding Registry Keys to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII
Adding Registry Keys to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\1.00\Graphics
Adding Registry Keys to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\1.00\MIDI
Adding Registry Keys to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\1.00\Sound
Adding Registry Key to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\FF7app.exe

Please check over the settings for FF7Config...

1) Sound tab should have a Sound device set. Do NOT leave it blank.
2) Perform the Sound and MIDI tests.
3) Graphics tab can be ignored.
4) Click OK when finished.

Inserting Multi.dll, Hext.dll, and Languagefile...

Patching FF7anyCDv2...

Install the Laptop Keyboard Patch?
(Choose YES if keyboard does NOT have a NUMPAD)
NO

Patching complete.

Check FF7_GC.log for details.

called with ""C:\Users\Matt\AppData\Local\Temp\7ZipSfx.001\FF7_GameConverter_7H.bat""
Arguments: "C:\Users\Matt\AppData\Local\Temp\7ZipSfx.001\FF7_GameConverter_7H.bat"

PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE:          x86
PROCESSOR_ARCHITEW6432:          AMD64
Actual Path:                     C:\Users\Matt\AppData\Local\Temp\7ZipSfx.001
Product Name:                    Windows 10 Enterprise
Architecture:                    AMD64
Running in Modus                 32Bit WOW64
OS Bit Version                   64
Reg-Keyname Steam                HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Steam App 39140
Reg-Keyname Re-Release           HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{141B8BA9-BFFD-4635-AF64-078E31010EC3}_is1
Reg-Keyname 1                    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Square Soft, Inc.
Reg-Keyname 2                    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\FF7app.exe
Reg-Keyname 3                    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Square Soft, Inc.
Steam Release is present:        Yes
Steam Release Path:               
Re-Release is present:           
Re-Release Path:                 
Original Release is present:     
Original Release Path:           
Destination Path:                E:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII
Source Path:                     E:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII
Videos Path:                     E:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII\data\movies
Original Videos Path:             
Original Language                en
Converted Language               en
Original Drive Letter:           
Converted Drive Letter:          F:\
and now clear up Variables...
Ending at           Date: 20/07/2019    Time: 18:48:50.05

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2019-07-20 10:39:40 »
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sorry, I dunno what's happening. All the shader files are inside FF7_GameConverter_7H.exe and will unpack into the game folder. You can try extracting the .exe yourself and looking for them in the Sprinkles folder, but that doesn't solve the issue. It's just a workaround and not the intended way of getting the shader files.

RecklessPrudence

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2019-07-20 13:21:36 »
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sorry, I dunno what's happening. All the shader files are inside FF7_GameConverter_7H.exe and will unpack into the game folder. You can try extracting the .exe yourself and looking for them in the Sprinkles folder, but that doesn't solve the issue. It's just a workaround and not the intended way of getting the shader files.
Huh. I just opened up the .exe and it's got the shaders\ directory organised the same way FF7 ends up when I run it. Sprinkles\FF7_OpenGL-0.8.1b\shaders\ only has one subdirectory, nolight\, with all the others as just files inside shaders\. Is... is that how it's supposed to be? Because I thought otherwise, from looking at ConfigSpec-FF7OpenGL.xml in the 7thHeaven directory, where it says (after you correct erroneous '/'s to be '\'s) that, for example, the ATI-specific SmartBloomAdvanced mode files - SmartBloomAdvanced.post, mainAdvanced.frag & .vert, and yuvAdvanced.frag - will be found in shaders\ATI_SmartBloomAdvanced\. Same for all the other shader modes, they have their own directories and own copies of any files with the same names in those folders, such as All_Bloom2, All_Bloom2Dark, ATI_ComplexMultiShader, and Nvidia_ComplexMultiShader all having their own yuv.frag files. Did I misread something, and the shaders were working as soon as the forward slashes were corrected to backslashes?

For reference, this is what I see in the FINAL FANTASY VII\shaders\ directory, and this is what I see when I open up FF7_GameConverter_7H.exe. Is that what it's supposed to look like? If so, is 7thHeaven 1.56RC6 looking in the right place, for the right files? If so, can someone explain to me how that works, because I'm obviously missing some knowledge that would make this all make sense.

Thanks for all the help!

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2019-07-20 14:03:04 »
Hmm, looks like a made a mistake in my upload. I checked the shader folder on my PC, and it's a mess. You can download it now and fiddle with it, but some of them aren't going to work in their current state.

https://mega.nz/#F!j8Y1DAIL!ktl0gE7vfwNLcziowej-Bw

Another thing on my To-Do List for Catalog 3.0. I don't have time to mess with this now though. It'll all come when Catalog 3.0 is released this summer.

LordUrQuan

• Alpha testing your worst nightmares
  • LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2019-07-20 14:19:13 »
For reference, this is what I see in the FINAL FANTASY VII\shaders\ directory, and this is what I see when I open up FF7_GameConverter_7H.exe. Is that what it's supposed to look like? If so, is 7thHeaven 1.56RC6 looking in the right place, for the right files? If so, can someone explain to me how that works, because I'm obviously missing some knowledge that would make this all make sense.
I haven't played with the shaders myself (yet, anyways...), but my folders (both game and archive) are identical.  Apart from the forward/backslash issue EQ2 already pointed out in the .xml, there's also this little piece in ff7_opengl.cfg that might have somehow been borked by a previous mod/install, which the converter isn't automatically repairing:
# post-processing shader, used to apply fullscreen effects
post_source = shaders/SmartBloomAdvanced.post
enable_postprocessing = no
As I said, I have shaders turned off right now (hence enable = no), but perhaps the source line got munged?

RecklessPrudence

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2019-07-22 15:42:01 »
Hmm, looks like a made a mistake in my upload. I checked the shader folder on my PC, and it's a mess. You can download it now and fiddle with it, but some of them aren't going to work in their current state.

https://mega.nz/#F!j8Y1DAIL!ktl0gE7vfwNLcziowej-Bw

Another thing on my To-Do List for Catalog 3.0. I don't have time to mess with this now though. It'll all come when Catalog 3.0 is released this summer.
Okay, I can wait until then. Thanks for all the help, you two! I'm just glad I was actually seeing a real problem, not imagining one due to stuffing up a setting or something - I was wondering by the end there!