Author Topic: Forum upgrade  (Read 105533 times)

The Seer of Shadows

• I used to be indecisive. But now, I'm not sure...
    • View Profile
Re: Forum upgrade
« Reply #25 on: 2010-06-26 11:10:13 »
It looks like everything is working all right again.  How was the problem fixed?

Kein

• View Profile
    • Shin-Ra Inc.
« Reply #26 on: 2010-06-26 13:01:45 »
Not everything- you still can't change the avatar.

The Seer of Shadows

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2010-06-26 13:37:32 »
Really?  That's weird, seeing as I just changed my avatar :-P

Kein

• View Profile
    • Shin-Ra Inc.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2010-06-26 13:56:00 »
Apparently not. What exactly is the problem? You just upload an image and put the url in that box, right?

Bear in mind that one could never have avatars hosted here, or at least not for a long time before the most recent forum upgrade.

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2010-06-26 14:05:29 »
Apparently not. What exactly is the problem? You just upload an image and put the url in that box, right?

Bear in mind that one could never have avatars hosted here, or at least not for a long time before the most recent forum upgrade.

Why can't Qhimm host avatars here?. I believe it already has been don for about ten years now... 

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2010-06-26 14:11:11 »

Why can't Qhimm host avatars here?. I believe it already has been don for about ten years now...

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that security might be the reason. I read a thread a while ago from someone warning us of a hacker who damaged servers (or something like that) by uploading corrupted avatars.

It's probably easier on bandwidth as well, and I suspect that qhimm isn't a fan of avatars either (he certainly doesn't like signatures...). In fact, I also recall reading a (very old) thread in which he expresses disapproval of them, but it might have been someone else who said it.

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2010-06-26 14:21:37 »

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that security might be the reason. I read a thread a while ago from someone warning us of a hacker who damaged servers (or something like that) by uploading corrupted avatars.

It's probably easier on bandwidth as well, and I suspect that qhimm isn't a fan of avatars either (he certainly doesn't like signatures...). In fact, I also recall reading a (very old) thread in which he expresses disapproval of them, but it might have been someone else who said it.

You have to take into account those were back in the dialup days of the internets. But I think your right (I ain't a fan of signatures aether it clogs of the screen with repetitive pics) but to get rid of avatars completely? just the preset ones I think is just a small oversight in the setting on Qhimm part.

The Seer of Shadows

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2010-06-26 14:43:59 »
I don't see any need to host avatars on the forum itself anyway.  It's only slightly more bothersome to upload the image elsewhere and link to it.

And I can confirm, with zero doubt, that avatars are working fine.  At least for me.

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
« Reply #34 on: 2010-06-30 16:39:59 »
To people who have trouble with avatars: you probably belong in the group who are banned from having avatars after some incident in the past. It is not a bug in the forum.

Other things caused by the switch:

• Corrupt characters: Caused by a UTF-8 conversion gone wrong. Looking into if and how it can be reversed. In the mean time, any new content should work.
  • Forum stops working: Likely caused by the overload detector going off (the server is shared and rather heavily loaded by default). The forums will avoid certain heavy operations whenever server load gets too high.
  • Search: Likely has problems as mentioned earlier. We can only hope it gets fixed in the next version.

Kein

• View Profile
    • Shin-Ra Inc.
« Reply #35 on: 2010-06-30 17:33:30 »
To people who have trouble with avatars: you probably belong in the group who are banned from having avatars after some incident in the past.It is not a bug in the forum.
Me too, lol? >_>

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2010-07-03 13:36:48 »
To people who have trouble with avatars: you probably belong in the group who are banned from having avatars after some incident in the past. It is not a bug in the forum.

I wonder what I did? :|
« Last Edit: 2010-07-06 14:05:52 by ultima espio »

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2010-07-12 00:19:14 »

I wonder what I did? :|
You've now been given an avatar.  Questions or concerns?

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2010-07-12 00:30:28 »
Ahem! According to Mr Chandler, Sonichu is copyrighted and his image can't be used without express written permission. Naughty naughty ;D

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2010-07-12 02:15:20 »
lol that is rather amusing :P

Seriously though, what did i do to get banned from having one?

ajthedj747

• Looking Forward to 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2012-03-23 18:33:52 »
Update us...

Don't bump an old thread unless you have something to add. We have mentioned this to you before, and this post doesn't even really make sense. As such, I've issued a minor warning. - Bosola
« Last Edit: 2012-03-23 20:15:07 by Bosola »

Doonge

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2012-10-16 21:13:39 »
Apparently I'm unable to send private messages.
I can live with it, maybe it's because I don't have premium membership rights or something.

However, I noticed that I get logged off whenever i click on the "new private message" button.

1°) I click on the "new private message" button, in "My messages" page.
2°) I get an error message "Error : you don't have the right to post private messages".
3°) I click "ok", which set me back to the main page.
4°) I'm a guest, and I have to log in again.

I guess it's unintended?

edit: I can send messages now.  I must have dreamed?
« Last Edit: 2012-10-16 21:15:32 by Doonge »

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #42 on: 2012-10-16 21:30:42 »
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=11578.0

You must have a minimum of 5 posts before you can send PMs.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2012-10-16 22:20:50 »
Unable to send PMs with too few posts: intentional behavior.
Logging you out when you try: entirely unintended. I'll look into it.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2013-07-08 16:21:56 »
Is it possible to enhance Aali's Custom FF7/FF8 Driver section to 'Patches and fixes'?
I believe it would be better to store there all the new to old patches (from Kranmar and Kompass63).
I also suggest making for Bootleg a complete own section. It would be better to post a problem with Bootleg there, instead of open a new topic in the Troubleshooting section.
So we would have a better overview in both sections.

Tirlititi

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2013-07-08 17:08:52 »
Hi.
Since some few days, the thread names are written in huge characters (in every pages, actually). It might be just me, but I don't think so because it wasn't like that before and the other pages (the topics themselves) are just as usual.

Or maybe it is intended? I find it unconvenient anyway ^^'
« Last Edit: 2013-07-08 17:11:33 by Tirlititi »

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2013-07-08 17:46:10 »
It is a side effect of Tapatalk.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-09 00:43:14 by [CleverNameHere] »

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2015-01-02 15:40:59 »
The forum has been upgraded to a new server. Please let us know if there are any unintended side effects.

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2015-01-02 20:23:15 »
The spell check button is gone. I never use it, but some people might.
« Last Edit: 2015-01-02 20:25:56 by Vgr »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2015-01-02 20:25:36 »
Quick reply box is no longer showing. Spell check isn't, either, although I never use that (but some might).
Per-user theme settings seem to have been reset with the server move, but those features still work. You can change them back how you want here (link should work for any user for their own settings). I had to switch quick moderation back to icons there, too.

edit: Spell checking in SMF requires a PHP install with pspell, which (AFAIK) is not default. I don't see it returning any time soon.
« Last Edit: 2015-01-02 20:37:40 by Covarr »