Author Topic: Mods, Modders, People, and our love of the game.  (Read 4457 times)

Mcindus

• Artist, Modder, Musician.
    • View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
Mods, Modders, People, and our love of the game.
« on: 2017-06-20 17:01:48 »
Hey everyone!  I'd like to start out by saying that I love this forum and it and the people that I've met here over the years have literally changed my life.
Due to the mods that I created for FF8, I now have a job in the gaming industry as a 3d environment artist.  Thank you.  Everyone.

As a Mod creator, I understand the passion that drives a lot of us to do what we do.  We love FF mid-gen games so much, we're willing to be unpaid creators in order to share our talents with the world at large - instead of just harboring them for ourselves.  This is one of the best forms of true 'philanthropy' that we have in the modern world - let's keep it alive and breathing.

This takes a huge commitment to very little 'payout' ratio.  Our payout is seeing hundreds, if not thousands of people all across the world using something that we birthed into the world that helps everyone enjoy an amazing piece of historical gaming nostalgia with new life and playability.  One of the drawbacks? - hours and hours of troubleshooting and 'helping' people with their technical difficulties.  Most of these bugs end up being very legitimate issues - which all help the mod improve - but more than 1/2 of the issues are caused by the average 'user' not reading the installation instructions, the posts, or the threads containing the issues that have already been addressed.  This is by far, the most frustrating thing as a mod creator - but it's something that with a well constructed mod and a good instruction manual (or post), that modders should be able to overcome easily.

This brings me to my final point:  We are all a team.  Without profit motivation, the only arguments that arise between the Modders ourselves should be differences in method, execution, content, etc.  As arguments, these all tend to improve the mods themselves - so they are all constructive.  Being de-constructive or overly critical of the mods or outright disrespectful and/or just plain mean to the Creators is childish, unprofessional, and has completely no room in this community.  Misunderstandings are bound to happen - personal opinions are bound to be VASTLY different - egoes will be bruised - but nothing we do here is actual about anyone 'personally'.  This is about creation, creativity, and the love of FF.  In the end, that's really just what we all want - what's BEST for Final Fantasy and it's fans.

We do it for the love of the game.  We all share that in common.  Let us not forget what brings us here - together.

As a Mod Creator, I witnessed two of my own fellow creators come to such a personal barricade between one another, that the saddest thing I've ever seen on this community happened.  We lost out on two of the best, most thorough mods I've ever seen - and for a game that's only been re-released for a VERY short time.  Everyone loses in these situations.  I almost feel like I need to pour out a 40 for a dead best friend.  Or two.

Please try to remember that this isn't about competition, it's about teamwork.  There is no real prize for first place... just more downloads and hours of noob troubleshooting. ;)

Love you guys.  I hope those mods aren't dead.

P.S.  Please keep this thread positive :)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: Mods, Modders, People, and our love of the game.
« Reply #1 on: 2017-06-20 18:00:45 »
Cheers for that :)

A thumbs-up from England (I can't remember where you're from - so maybe I am sending it only a short distance :P)

Fraggoso

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2017-06-20 19:55:12 »
Good words mcindus.
Thanks again for also guiding me through some nasty drawbacks I had.

Everyone remember if you're in a pinch and think you can't finish a mod because you lost motivation, the community in particular don't really like the idea of the mod etc... first and foremost you're doing it for yourself.

If you share it with the community, no matter if you only have one download, it was well worth it (at least in my opinion).
« Last Edit: 2017-06-21 08:26:32 by Fraggoso »

Tsuna

• Global moderator
  • Working together to create awesome things!
    • View Profile
    • The home of Tsunamods
« Reply #3 on: 2017-06-20 21:42:16 »
Agreed completely. We may make our own mods but when you think about it were all one big team.

Cheers from Ireland!

Zervox

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2017-06-21 07:41:13 »
I appreciate this thread, as these falling outs is not only between modders but between modder and users(users harassing mod maker for not doing 'x' instead of 'y').
but as a user of many of the fine mods here, and seeing the work being put into the mods(no matter how small/big significant/insignificant changes it does total)

I have to applaud the determination and will you guys have to make the mods and making them available to others(even if they are not released I applaud them because they can show the very edge you can push the games to!(I love teasers of what is possible as well), or in the aspect of the ones who are pushing out tools to help further mods to be created.

Cheers from Norway!
« Last Edit: 2017-06-21 07:44:18 by Zervox »

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #5 on: 2017-06-21 08:20:37 »
Well done mate! I wish the best for a future successful career. Also thanks for the assistance you provided me in the past. Cheers.

Aavock

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2017-06-22 01:48:02 »
Great words Mcindus, I'm glad you've found a job that you're passionate about and I wish you the very best. After all these years the community is stronger than never thanks to people like you that continuously keeps offering brand new fresh to the series we all love and care about; cheers!

olearyf2525

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2017-06-22 19:57:08 »
Thank you McIndus.