Author Topic: [PSX/PC] Save Editor - Black Chocobo (v1.15)  (Read 1001182 times)

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
Re: [RELEASE v1.9.51]: Black Chocobo - FF7 Save Game Editor
« Reply #600 on: 2012-01-22 01:00:53 »
some may wonder what i've been upto , well i fixed a bug in eskill display that would cause it to not be updated in some instances. but i have mostly been working on getting things set up for our next project, well that and a little bit of coding for it.

zophar

• View Profile
« Reply #601 on: 2012-01-23 13:05:32 »
Well after a long absense myself, between holidays and such I am back.

Bad news is still no breakthrough on the ps3 coding. I have messed with other games and some don't even add a checksum when exported.
Why on earth protect a game that's this old?
Also followed several dead leads on the "phrase" the ps3 uses to code these exports.
I was told by a few guys that each game has the checksum formula that the ps3 uses for it.
Kinda makes sense seeing as a few games don't even get a checksum.
still prying at it though guys.

Zophar out,.,.,.

luen7

« Reply #602 on: 2012-01-25 04:48:15 »
hi, i'm a new user to the editor.
i was just messing around with it but never really did anything or added anything to my save file.
but i did save changes, when i try to load it again in the editor, the program just crashes.

i can load my save in-game just fine, but there's a grey-out item with 127 quantities that i can't do anything about,
can't sell, can't use, can't throw.

any advice on fixing my save file?

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #603 on: 2012-01-25 11:57:08 »
if you can send me a link to the file. i will look at it and see if i can help you out. also if you have the before that would be good as well.

DoreamOOn

« Reply #604 on: 2012-02-05 10:33:06 »
Hello
When i load my modified saves (hp and lvl values for test), it doesn't change anything. At the select save screen in the game, the saves appear unmodified too. Yet, the black chocobo editor reads correctly the saves. Why does not the game accept the modifications? I'm at the begining, the first save point location.
I'm french, sorry for the language
It works, i forgot to run the editor as administrator
« Last Edit: 2012-02-05 12:56:08 by DoreamOOn »

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #605 on: 2012-02-16 14:15:01 »
It's been some time since i have posted any progress on Black Chocobo , so here we go:

• New:Starting to Implement the "unnamed" toolkit
  • New:Item Descriptions show as tooltips when hovered over items.
  • New:Elemental and Status Aware Classes..
  • New: support for the french version of FF7 (BASCES-00868)
  • New: Support for most of the world map stuff talked about above.
  • Fixed: Bug where e.skill list would not update in some cases
  • and some more stuff that i forgot to put down

i know it does not seam like alot of stuff. but most of the new work has been on the toolkit. i plan to release this toolkit for others to use as well. so far the new toolkit contains.(no where near finished)

A Few Data Classes:
FF7Item- contains info on items in ff7 (id,icons, elemental ,status, stat changes, etc..)
FF7Materia-contains info on materia in ff7 (id,icons, elemental ,status, stat changes, etc..)
FF7Location- contains info on locations in ff7 (map, id, x,y,z , etc..)
FF7Text: - for converting from ff7<->pc in both latin or japanese chars

and some custom Qt Widgets.
DialogPreview - Widget for showing and setting the colors of the text windows in ff7
SlotPreview -  Widget for displaying a slot preview
MateriaPreview - Widget for displaying info about a Given materia
ItemPreview- Widget for displaying info about a given item.

in the near future maybe i will put some code up for a simple demo (or maybe a binary if no one wants to compile) of these items in action. these and more will be released in a toolkit so anyone making FF7 related tools can have the stuff needed to quickly and easily create a range of tools.For obvious reasons most of the classes and widgets are currently related to save game editing , but don't let that fool you i plan to (with help) make a 100% full set for us to use for tool creation (more on this later).anyone intrested in seeing the code for this stuff can find it on the black chocobo svn in the experimental section

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #606 on: 2012-02-16 14:36:14 »
Hi Sithlord,

You mentioned supporting non-English versions. I've never seen the source code to Black Chocobo, but how about making it simpler for contributors to add new language support by using some kind of resource files? Even a CSV file should suffice.

No idea how tricky that would be to implement, though.

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #607 on: 2012-02-16 16:01:10 »
Hi Sithlord,

You mentioned supporting non-English versions. I've never seen the source code to Black Chocobo, but how about making it simpler for contributors to add new language support by using some kind of resource files? Even a CSV file should suffice.

No idea how tricky that would be to implement, though.

[ramble]
Qt uses external resources for all the translations. the contributor will place them in a .ts file (basicly XML)  then on release they will be turned in to a .qm file where the strings would be pulled from at run time, lets say your looking to add  Italian you simply start with the bchoco_en.ts file and when you open it in QtLingist it asks what new lang you tell it, then you start to translate and save it as bchoco_it.ts even if i don't add it to the menu if you computer is set to italian bc will see this and auto load the bchoco_it lang pack. (of course if its in the correct place). i plan on including all related ts files for the static classes so translation for those will not need to be redone in the future.
[/ramble]

also you might be intrested to know that, while the toolkit will be written in C++ you can still use any language to code your project in as long as Qt has a binding for it, the ones that stick out are python and java.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #608 on: 2012-02-16 22:12:10 »
Don't those Qt resources just control UI text? I meant supporting savemaps for non-English releases.

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #609 on: 2012-02-17 00:23:19 »
im not sure i get what you asking, there is only one savemap.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #610 on: 2012-02-19 00:42:44 »
You answered my question indirectly. You talked about 'supporting different languages' - I assumed you meant that different releases had different savemaps. Evidently not.

Vegeta_Ss4

• Dark Wizard of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Black Chocobo
« Reply #611 on: 2012-02-19 05:50:16 »
I will try to clarify this.

Don't those Qt resources just control UI text? I meant supporting savemaps for non-English releases.

Qt lang resources control GUI text translation, which have any influence over savemap or program the behavior.

You answered my question indirectly. You talked about 'supporting different languages' - I assumed you meant that different releases had different savemaps. Evidently not.

I think what you really wanted to ask is about Black Chocobo region compatibly. In that case I confirm you that region handler is hard coded. But all the different game regions share the same savemap (only the header change).

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #612 on: 2012-02-19 12:24:55 »
Thanks for clearing that up.

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #613 on: 2012-02-20 17:10:12 »
I tad bit more progress i've started to add the new widgets(more above)  below on the left, you can see the item preview widget in action.

on the right is the new dialog preview to replace the old slider and label parts. you can click on the corners to set its color. the lower right show highlight overlay.

edit::rm url links, fix image preview size
« Last Edit: 2012-02-20 17:19:16 by sithlord48 »

BriansNSane

« Reply #614 on: 2012-02-22 21:36:38 »
Hi, I am wondering which custom ps3 firmware you are using to export the modified save file back on the ps3? I am currently on KMEAW 3.55 and It says that the save is corrupt when I try to load the edited file with the bad checksum.

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #615 on: 2012-02-23 12:00:36 »
Hi, I am wondering which custom ps3 firmware you are using to export the modified save file back on the ps3? I am currently on KMEAW 3.55 and It says that the save is corrupt when I try to load the edited file with the bad checksum.

im not using any custom anything on the ps3...you can re add them on the psp (im told) with custom firmware. for the ps3 you have to either get them on the psp. please see the FAQ for more info.

BriansNSane

« Reply #616 on: 2012-02-23 16:16:16 »
My apologies, I read this
* these files can be saved but the checksum is not updated.
   if your psp/ps3 does not run custom firmware that ingores the signing of saves then you can't use the file.
   if a psp/ps3 is what your trying to play on please see the [FAQ] for a workaround.
  in your user guide under "Working With Save Files" before asking. I have tried every custom firmware there is on the ps3 and none of them ignores the signing of the virtual memory card saves only the signing of ps3 files.  I will try to find an alternative workaround for this. My hacked ps2 is in storage several states away and I do not own a psp.

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #617 on: 2012-02-23 16:43:57 »
you 'should' be able to do it w/ custom firmware from a ps3 if the ps3dev people cared about this (i've asked they don't) no one can seam to tell me how to do this other then i think this system file is responseable for that signing. so for now (trust me i want it to work cause untill it does i feel that bc is incomplete.) one of those two ways are your only methods. if you find another let me know and ill add it to the list.

BriansNSane

« Reply #618 on: 2012-02-23 20:15:49 »
OK so far I have found one other method but you have to be able to run a file manager (Jail break or CFW).  Using a PS3 file manager (I used the one built into MultiMan) browse to dev_hdd0/savedata/vmc    This folder is where your Virtual Memory Cards are stored once you create them. Copy the VM1 file with the save game you want to modify to a usb storage device and then plug it into your computer. Now rename the file extension from VM1 to MC (leave the rest of the file name intact!).  Open the MC file with Black Chocobo and it will prompt which save to use. Select the save you want and then modify to your hearts content. Once you are done simply SAVE the file. *Note Your program does not prompt that the "checksum is not updated"  using this method.  Change the extension back to VM1 and copy the file back over to the same location on your PS3. Enjoy your modified save!

I have tried this with the save file itself  (changing from PSV to MC or any other combination) and it does not work. The checksum is not updated and data is corrupt according to the PS3 when trying to transfer through the XMB. I can only assume that the only time it verify's the checksum is when transferring the file and does not check it at any other point after. So taking the save from the container, modifying it and putting it back into the container bypasses this. I have heavily modified with no issues whatsoever.   I  would also assume this might work for other ps1 games as well. (IE: FF 8, 9, Xenogears, Chrono Cross, etc.)

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #619 on: 2012-02-23 22:28:00 »
ok well i had not thought to try that! (and yet the whole time i knew it had to be there) great news!! i will add support for the VM1 file type as soon as i get a chance to test this.  and of course add your info to the FAQ!

EDIT:::It turns out that sony uses a standard virtual memory card format for the ps3's psx memory card. the file i just looked at (fresh off a ps3 here) starts with 0x4D 0x43 ("MC") like all other standard virtual memory card formats,so you can already open the file in Black Chocobo. you only need to rt.click on the file and select open with ..and select black chocobo . for anyone who doesn't want to wait for a release.  with "official" support for the VM1 format.
« Last Edit: 2012-02-23 22:47:36 by sithlord48 »

BriansNSane

« Reply #620 on: 2012-02-24 07:52:59 »
Ah  Standard format!  That is great news! This will makes it much more friendly for us ps3 users.  ;D  Very nice work on Black Chocobo btw This is perfect for seeing the different outcomes of your decisions throughout the game. FF7 is still my favorite of all the Final Fantasy's. 

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #621 on: 2012-02-24 11:44:52 »
it will make it more friendly for ps3 users but i would still like to know how to sign those psv file, not all of us have CFW, but we now have a method if you have a cfw ps3, cfw psp or a  homebrew enabled ps2..

Edit: i've updated the FAQ
« Last Edit: 2012-02-24 13:19:44 by sithlord48 »

chacyung

• View Profile
« Reply #622 on: 2012-02-24 15:28:54 »
So we're getting closer then...
I look forward to being able to edit my saves, and send them straight to a PSV format.

I know it's still a ways off, but the progress is good ^.^

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: 2012-02-24 21:11:56 »
I wonder if you had enough saves from the ps3 if you would be able to figure out the keys.

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: 2012-02-24 22:01:25 »
I know for some actual ps3 saves the saves are encrypted specifically for each machine. Forced me to actually collect every accessory in FFXIII for the platinum trophy.