Author Topic: FF8 (Steam) Limit Breaks always active  (Read 9518 times)

caliburn2003

• View Profile
FF8 (Steam) Limit Breaks always active
« on: 2016-06-05 04:37:50 »
Hello, first time posting... new to this whole modding thing... I managed to complete all the graphical mods but have no clue on how to do any kind of modding myself or messing with files... I know there is a cheat thing installed with Steams version of the game but I don't want all the other stuff that comes with it... I just want the Limit Breaks. Can anyone explain how to make it so my Limit Breaks are always active. I have beat this game so many times and kind of just want to be able to smack the bosses around a little... please any help would be appreciated! thanks!

JWP

• View Profile
Re: FF8 (Steam) Limit Breaks always active
« Reply #1 on: 2016-06-05 10:00:42 »
I could provide you with details, with 2 caveats:
1.) it would involve patching the memory using something like CheatEngine or hex editing the EXE
2.) There are 4 crisis levels (which determine the power of the limit break, see this link), always setting this to a fixed level is easy, varying it is harder

Also which language of the game do you have?

for FF8_EN.exe (the Steam English version), there are at least 2 ways to do this, one would be to patch the EXE at 0x9431E or the memory of the process at 0x49431E:
Code: [Select]
to:   EB09
That will permanently set the crisis level to 4.

The second way to do this (the way the Steam version does it) is patching memory address 0x1CFF838 to 0x01 - which sets the crisis level to always be 1 - you could set it to anywhere up to 4.

However, the addresses would be different for other versions of the game.
« Last Edit: 2016-06-05 10:52:12 by JWP »

caliburn2003

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2016-06-06 02:28:52 »
i have the steam version of the game but I have no clue on how to edit the file... Is there a guide I could look for or something that could give me a walkthrough on how to do this? thanks so much for your help and time! i currently have Hynes save editor and have been using that well... and i have the English Steam version sorry... i basically want it to give me the option to use limit break anytime i want... like crisis level 4 all the time! btw i also have RaW installed for the music portion of the game to sound better... idk if that helps. Im pretty sure thats a DLL injector i think but idk im kind of new to this stuff... the extent of my game modding is around using NMM with Fallout 4 lol... so its pretty click and go lol
« Last Edit: 2016-06-06 03:14:49 by caliburn2003 »

caliburn2003

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2016-06-06 04:04:43 »
if anyone can help i will give you whatever i can via karma or a little cash your way if you guys have that option to support your mods like on nexus and such... if you cant walk me through it i could like email you a copy of my exe and then you could email it back or something once you edit it...
« Last Edit: 2016-06-06 16:37:56 by caliburn2003 »

caliburn2003

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2016-06-06 18:47:55 »
nvm i figured out how to do it with DLPBs Hexediting tools! my first experience with Hex editing and I made my game draw 100 of magics everytime and give myself Limit Breaks everytime with Crisis Level 4!!! thanks for the help all!!!

miruss89

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2016-08-03 14:30:35 »
1.) it would involve patching the memory using something like CheatEngine or hex editing the EXE
2.) There are 4 crisis levels (which determine the power of the limit break, see this link), always setting this to a fixed level is easy, varying it is harder

for FF8_EN.exe (the Steam English version), there are at least 2 ways to do this, one would be to patch the EXE at 0x9431E or the memory of the process at 0x49431E:

The second way to do this (the way the Steam version does it) is patching memory address 0x1CFF838 to 0x01 - which sets the crisis level to always be 1 - you could set it to anywhere up to 4.

how did you find the actual address for the crisis level? i almost give up find it with cheat engine.

miruss89

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2016-08-03 14:31:58 »
nvm i figured out how to do it with DLPBs Hexediting tools! my first experience with Hex editing and I made my game draw 100 of magics everytime and give myself Limit Breaks everytime with Crisis Level 4!!! thanks for the help all!!!

Which address change the draw quantity for magics? care to share it with me? thank you.

brucy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2019-05-30 08:24:16 »
thanks for this precious contribution , this permanently solve the problem of the damn crappy limitative mechanism of the limit breacks :D

brucy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2019-05-31 21:44:42 »

thanks for this precious contribution , please share with us also the hexadecimal values to constantly set the invincibility effect? (the one that is activated with the item called "hero" or something like that), you know the effect that make the characters white and transparent
« Last Edit: 2019-06-01 07:58:08 by brucy »