Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] gjoerulv's "Hardcore" mod (v1.0.7.2)  (Read 1087802 times)

storm20200

• View Profile
Re: gjoerulv's "Hardcore" mod
« Reply #850 on: 2011-01-06 20:14:38 »
Wall up and use Dragon Force if you have it. Regen also helps a great deal. White Wind etc. you know the deal.

You could try making all bird low on HP then launch an area attack to kill all at once.

Or simply kill 'em randomly 'til they run out of mp. If your MP is low as well, they'll never stop trying to drain MP from your party.

See that's what I do, I'm just gonna give it up for now and come back when I'm more powerful packed with hero drinks and zero bahamut for a bahamut > Neo Bahamut > Zero Bahamut summoning for awesome non-elemental damage, my red with 230~ Magic (magic raising gear and magic plus +50%) causes 9k damage or so to them all. Never cared much for phoenix anyway :P

Kylos

• View Profile
« Reply #851 on: 2011-01-07 17:36:53 »
Storm you should look back on these posts, i made pretty detailed feedback on that fight, as i also had some trouble and was pretty confused at first on just how to beat them, let me see if i can dig that up for you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I decided to give up trying to do caves and the forest, and carry on with the storyline, i am currently doing the Simurg (Shouldnt these be called Simurgh? Thats what the bird is called in FFXI and other final fantasy)

I just paused it while doing this fight, it dont seem too difficult at the moment, i do think the camera is a bit too far away though, apart from that this new boss fight looks good. :)

Oh they do Angel Whisper!?? Nice move by them, you can tell these are protecting the Pheonix alright.

Ok these are quite difficult lol, i was just about to finish them off with a Hyper Jump i think(must have to kill them all at same time so they dont angel whisper) but then it crashed again :'(

Tried this again with a better strategy, managed to get down to 1 bird, and used Angermax to finish it off, then they all used Submit, was a pretty awesome fight! Good job on this
-------------------------------------------------------------------

This fight, its a matter of keeping them poisoned, and your characters hasted, wall etc.
You can tell when a bird is dead (although its still on the screen) as you can no longer target it, its like a race to see how many birds you can kill before they start using angel whisper.

I tried this fight, and it took a while, but i managed to do a string of moves, then i could only target one bird, the angermax was very good on this, so my recommendation is to use your summons, enemy skills and magic which hit all the birds, then when they start to die, finish with limit breaks, as then the birds will not be able to raise each other, when the battle sees that all birds are supposed to be dead, they will all use a 'Submit move' which is basically them attacking and killing themselves off.

A fun fight, but if you really think that is hard, wait til you get to the train part lol.

Also the comment about the grand horn, if you are so bad at the mini game that you need to fight the grand horn, im pretty sure you fail the mission, and you wont be allowed to get pheonix til later on in bone village, Gjoerulv added a boss for all the summons you can pick up along the way (except ramuh).

Also do not waste your hero drinks, they are very rare (unless you cheat with W-Item) and they will become so valuable later in fights like the battle arena (for final attack materia) and other extremely hard fights like the Knights of the Round boss and the weapons.
« Last Edit: 2011-01-07 17:47:11 by Kylos »

storm20200

• View Profile
« Reply #852 on: 2011-01-09 04:19:56 »
A fun fight, but if you really think that is hard, wait til you get to the train part lol.
Train part is a piece of cake, everythings pretty easy all things considered, with red, cid and yuffie. Get yuffie to mug with added attack then have other 2 spam aqualung or beta for the first fight. Second fight barrier up, regen up, spam laser. Third fight is easier unless you want the warrior bangle then it can take a massive chunk of time up, anyway yeah keep mugging till you have the bangle, while barriering and regening. Fourth fight is also a walk in the park, wall up straight away, then neo bahamut causing 9k damage to each member (with my 213 magic red :D) followed by big brawl and all creation/doom of the living if you wish, instant death.
Quote from: Kylos
Also the comment about the grand horn, if you are so bad at the mini game that you need to fight the grand horn, im pretty sure you fail the mission
Erm you do realise that if you kill commander grand horn in the final fort condor battle you get an imperial guard don't you? Why anyone would choose to win the mini game on the last match is beyond me when it means you don't get an imperial guard. You also get the huge materia.

EDIT: Also I never realised how close I was to killing the birds, when I could no longer 2 of em I was pretty naffed off cause I thought the targetting was glitching on me, I didn't know when they die they just become unselectable  :oops:

EDIT: Oh my god my game severely glitched on me there, went to play the game again after posting, I went to nibelheim to get yuffie her limit break bar full. Got in a fight with wolves, pressed start on my controller then it took me to the train fight with the bird thing, the timer was on 0 so it then went to a black screen with only cid and 2 dialogue boxes, one blank one said we're gonna hit north corel, cutscene played then I was unconcious in north corel.......Yeah just wanted to share that lol. Don't think I could replicate that glitch XD

EDIT AGAIN: Yeah I went back to fort condor and was suprised how much I slaughtered them, I used sense this time so I knew how much hp they had left. Dunno why I struggled that much, only about 2 levels higher than before.
« Last Edit: 2011-01-09 04:48:33 by storm20200 »

Kylos

• View Profile
« Reply #853 on: 2011-01-10 10:01:25 »
Yea i knew u got something, but i never bothered with the Imperial guard, played through the game so many times but the guard is just not something i waste time to get, as later on you get mystiles and zeidrichs anyways.

Guess im still learning somethings about this game lol, but yea i found the train fight harder then the bird fight, purely because of the timer, and having to steal off the big bird for the bangle, then having to beat the SOLDIER trio on the last fight lol.

Kylos

• View Profile
« Reply #854 on: 2011-01-18 20:30:30 »
Ok been a while since i played this game, i once again tried to fight the Knights of the Round boss, and failed twice.

Tried all sorts on this, and noticed a really annoying glitch in the fight.

When you go to do a limit break, and you have 2 or 3 lined up at once, if you kill it with one of your limit breaks (it did it to me after 2 limits from Cloud and Cid) it makes the next person, come up with the animation for the limit break, but then it just fails and wastes it altogether, i found this really annoying as i lost barretts limit break.

My strategy seemed ok, more so the second time i tried to fight it today, im on level 99, have one final attack materia master, and i was basically spamming bahamut zero, up to 20 times in a row, just to try and beat this thing, of course it keeps reviving itself over and over.

When i lost bahaumut zero, it was basically up to pandoras box to do any kind of good damage, i forgot to add the useful dispel magic on the second try, but without it i managed to kill it over and over til it got lucky and wasted my characters.

The fight must have lasted at least 20-30 minutes at that point, and that was my 5th or 6th attempt overall.

Im just thinking that maybe i need what i can get from the northern crater, and i need a real good place to find megalixers as they are huge lifesavers.

Also i noticed the move Modron, takes mp off characters which are dead, thats just nasty :(

Do i just have a bad strategy for this? Last time i went down into the crater i got killed too a few times, this disc really is the hardest one of them all on hardcore.
« Last Edit: 2011-01-18 21:07:36 by Kylos »

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #855 on: 2011-01-19 03:03:28 »
That's not a glitch. A limit will always fire before any enemy action once you've selected to use it. When the cat is dead there is no target to hit, thus the move fails. Using 3 limit breaks to kill it 3 times is a good way to start the fight however. Only target it with a limit one at a time: kill it, wait til it's revived, then target it with ONE limit only.

Use ribbons. If you kill it 3 times fast you it shouldn't be necessary to be immune towards stop, but you might consider being immune to death as it has one sudden death attack. If everything goes as planned you don't need to.

Having a Magic Pus Materia helps. Your defense stats doesn't matter in this fight, but you should have as high magic stat as possible on all. Then basically spam your best magic. Bahamut Zero and Pandora's box is good.

Another way is to use Barret's Missing Score with as much AP on it as possible, then launch a 4xattack. If his strength is high enough, and if you've equipped enough AP high materia on his weapon, you'll kill it every time. A hero drink might help if not.

Or if Vincent has killed a huge bunch of enemies in the game, he is always the safest bet with a 4xattack with the Death Penalty. His damage formula is an absolute constant. The only factor is how many enemies he has killed. And it can only go up. Though it takes time.

Yuffie's Conformer may be good as well, if she has high strength. It's attack power is based on the enemy's level. The higher the level the more damage.

cloudi

« Reply #856 on: 2011-01-21 06:01:50 »
Please since kernel2  the modified I dont not use Teioh
I have the French version I want to change in French
tanks

cloudi

« Reply #857 on: 2011-01-21 06:49:09 »
sorry is not good I must not touch a file kenerl 2 and I will change the language level of personal

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #858 on: 2011-01-21 12:01:32 »
Please since kernel2  the modified I dont not use Teioh
I have the French version I want to change in French
tanks
tanks indeed.  don't double post

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #859 on: 2011-01-21 18:02:56 »
@cloudi
You've patched the kernel2 on the french ver? Then everything will be in English. Simply uncheck it before you patch, then it won't be touched.

messiah

• View Profile
« Reply #860 on: 2011-01-24 15:02:47 »
i just used your mod dude and its tricky so i like it..but i noticed there wasnt the assault gun drop after i beated scorpion..why is that?

Kylos

• View Profile
« Reply #861 on: 2011-01-24 18:13:05 »
i just used your mod dude and its tricky so i like it..but i noticed there wasnt the assault gun drop after i beated scorpion..why is that?

A number of equipment has been changed, mobs have different items to steal, anyways you can buy the gun for barrett later.

In this hardcore version there are a lot more different equipment, materia and items which you would normally never use in a normal run through, you will notice this a lot as the game progresses, and you will need to think of strategies and steal certain items as much as possible to help push you forward laters.

Its like.. Gjoerulv changed the item which a cactuar can be morphed too, from a Tetra elemental to a four slots, this is simply because having tetra elementals at that point is too powerful.

He usually has a reason for everything lol

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: 2011-01-24 19:35:30 »
@cloudi (a way you'll understand I hope) : Si tu as une version française et que tu veux avoir les trucs en français et un mod hardcore, ben crée toi-même ton propre mod hardcore ou bien ne patche pas kernel2.bin comme dit plus haut. J'avais le même problème, mais j'ai finalement pris une version anglaise, c'est pas mal plus simple. (cloudi = cactus720 sur jeuxvideo.com ???)

Ok, back to English, not bad to speak my initial language some times here :P

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #863 on: 2011-01-25 06:48:27 »
@Kylos

The gun drop removal from the scorpion came from a request. But it makes sense as it seems as a mistake from square.

The tetra elemental ring wasn't relocated 'cause it was too powerful to get when you have access to the highwind. Well, it may be that too, but more 'cause it was too easy to claim from that cactuar. Of course, I could just make it stronger, but I had already made the jumbo cactuar at another location. I was going to make it at cactuar island, but then there is the problem that there is only 1 encouterable enemy in this desert, meaning you would face it in every encounter. So the decision to move the tetra elemental morph is somewhat justified lol.

Kylos

• View Profile
« Reply #864 on: 2011-01-25 20:43:35 »
SO where is this jumbo cactuar? Northern Crater?

Not done much lately on ff7, been way too busy :P

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #865 on: 2011-01-26 11:17:25 »
It's outside the HP<->MP cave.  :-o
Random battle.

Kylos

• View Profile
« Reply #866 on: 2011-01-26 17:50:07 »
Oh i never even thought about fighting there, whenever im on that small part of sand im on the choco, jump off and go straight in the cave.

Im guessing thats what the majority of other players would do too, would much rather just fight it on cactuar island and make it rock hard lol, because cactuar island is completely useless now on the hardcore mod and a waste of time to anyone who goes there for a tetra elemental, just my opinion.

Also i wouldnt mind if u fought it every battle, having jumbo cactuar on that island would be similar to the jumbo you fight on FF8 and would just make more sense then having it outside that cave.

Edit: Ok just some feedback as i just got on the game for the first time in a bit, heres my thoughts.

Jumbo Cactuar was pretty easy, the moves it did were interesting, but clearly this is not meant to be fought at level 99 with all the materia i got, actually found this easier to get tetra elementals then in the normal game.

After this i decided to try out Northern cave once again, got my dragon force, and i have to say that the red devil thing is so annoying, the only way through this is Bahamut Zero x8

Ran into the Master Tonberry too, and it has such a huge amount of HP. not sure if its been increased or not but it took a while to kill it lol.

Got to the point where the parties split off in different directions, planted my save point and left it there, not sure if the glitch will work here to get extra materias and items.
« Last Edit: 2011-01-27 03:24:33 by Kylos »

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #867 on: 2011-01-27 08:12:59 »
yeah, I agree it's a better place for the JC. It's the 1st original enemy I made, and there wasn't a good reason to place it there, just to check things out. Later I decided to move the tetra elemental morph. I may switch places with those 2 mobs, if I'm not too lazy.

I do not agree it's easier to get the tetra elemental now however. In the vanilla setting you don't even have to try.

Just so you know: There isn't much to claim in the northern cave. Normal items only.

Kylos

• View Profile
« Reply #868 on: 2011-01-27 17:39:51 »
What about mystile? W magic etc?

I suppose it is easy to morph the cactuar, and jumbo would be quite difficult at a lower level, but when i got to it, it was really no match at all lol.

Might try and do more of the crater tonight, been feeling really ill though so just gonna take it easy.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #869 on: 2011-01-27 19:11:24 »
The materias you get in the final cave are moved to the materia caves. If you picked all up you should have wmagic.

Kylos

• View Profile
« Reply #870 on: 2011-01-29 23:48:40 »
Ok feedback on the northern crater, after splitting up into groups.

Decided to start by going right, and played around with some of the monsters along the way.

-The monster which does Pandoras Box and Shadow Flare is dam strong, but luckily Hades puts this straight into a slow petrify and stop, so it is easily beaten this way.

-I tried to manipulate the woman who does ice breath and fascination, but it seemed impossible, im sure you normally get Angel Whisper from this, how do i get it??

-Marlboro was easily beaten with Hades and attacks.

-The wizards are interesting, and seems more of a challenge now, can be manipulated still for Roulette, but the move recovers the monster now instead of killing it off, and seems to have extra moves, good stuff :)

Got down to the bottom and went through the door on the other side.

-Ran into an Armoured Golem in the next area, it scared me to hell when it forced both Barrett and Cid out of battle, so i used Clouds Bahamut Zero + Quadra Magic + Double Summon, this thing just did not want to die as it kept doing golem laser and getting its hp back, kept attacking it and trying to keep myself cured with Full Cure (when it lands) and after a while the laser just kept missing, so i attacked it for a long while until it died.

Also noticed that although Cid and Barrett were supposed to be knocked out of battle, they were still both stood there on the battlefield further back then usual.

-Behemoth was a tough battle, ton of hp, hades and bad breath has no effect, and the bite recovers a ton of hp, luckily i got Barrett with a strong 4x cut at the moment, and eventually managed to beat it

Went into the areas with pots and movers next

-Movers seemed very easy, hades and bad breath gives them a ton of effects.

-I do not like Pots now, the first fight i did i give them an elixir each and started attacking, one of them ran away... then i managed to beat the other one.

Then the second fight, i did the same thing, and one of them stole my only circlet from me, so i did hades and beat them by petrify, but i did not get my circlet back :( :(

I went on to attempt Omega, got through the first stage, the fight was proving to become difficult but i was hanging in there.... then it crashed, and i aint saved it recently as the save point is back near the intersection :(
« Last Edit: 2011-01-30 00:06:32 by Kylos »

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #871 on: 2011-01-30 20:45:38 »
Thanks again kylos. I guess the enemies need a bit more status guards. And I don't think petrifying a pot will help you get the stolen stuff back. Only a normal kill.

Don't try omega yet. Wait 'til 1.0.3. I know some crashes may appear, but not likely. And it helps to have a savepoint nearby.

Kylos

• View Profile
« Reply #872 on: 2011-01-31 10:10:48 »
Oh now thats annoying, pots shouldnt be able to steal things, and then not let you get the items back, its not even fun in the slightest.

What does Omega give? Is it worth it trying over and over to get through that fight?

Where is Angel Whisper enemy skill?

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #873 on: 2011-01-31 11:31:49 »
The petrify thing is a present in vanilla ff7 as well. It's not something I edited in. The reason is that it's death script doesn't run if it's petrified (I think  :P).

You could get angel whisper from a maniped simurgh. Besides I thought one could manip pollensalta (or whatever hername was). I'll check it out.

Omega is just a challenge. Nothing else. If you have a drop idea let me hear it.

Kylos

• View Profile
« Reply #874 on: 2011-01-31 11:39:05 »
Yes but this petrify thing should not be allowed to happen with mobs which can steal lol :)

Where exactly is this simurgh? i have not seen this so far.

Pollensalta? If this is the women which does cold breath, fascination and other moves, i tried to manipulate her with a Hypnocrown on a number of times, and it never worked, although in the original version of the game it is allowed.

Omega should drop ribbon... Why? Because so far i have 2 Ribbons, and i really really would hate it to hell if i have to morph a tonberry for a ribbon, as they take forever to kill on this version of the game.