Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4897430 times)

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v1.4)
« Reply #3975 on: 2016-07-19 06:35:30 »
I already decided to do a full reinstall since Reunion's absolute minimum install was likely causing some other problems and to just live with the menu issues (I don't think that it was right to be Lv22 at Rufus considering I didn't grind and a showcase vid stated that you were expected to be around 20 at Jenova, and some battles felt far too easy), but I'll keep that in mind for next time. Reason I was thinking "intentional" was because of Scorp's refusal to leave the Church and that you turned it into a more extreme running gag but you picked the wrong scorpion.

To make you feel better, when I reflected a cure/all onto the guys at the reactor, I didn't think "bug", I thought "That's genius". Then I realized that the triple reflect trick was nerfed when I interpreted that as being the proper tactic. The amount of thought you put into this mod is quite exceptional. Especially Cloud's level in Nibelheim. If he had those stats in the original game, it would've been one of the best foreshadowings of the generation.

Triple Reflect shouldn't be nerfed in any way, I think it's just that some spells work better than others (and Air Buster traditionally has high magic defence from the original game, the highest of any enemy in fact; but maybe I could remove that and give him normal magic defence so double reflect can be used there?)

Cheers, bud. I was thinking to myself that it'd make more sense if Cloud was a lot stronger during his initial re-telling of what happened. A little easter-egg for people playing through the flashback instead of skipping it.

The hard way seems to have solved the issue. I'm now able to see the Lost & Found guy.

Thank you again Sega Chief for your help !

Let me know if there are any other problems. I'll need to find a new patching method or something, the current one just seems to be failing more and more recently.

Hello, can i find somewhere a full guide, or a list of all things that changed from the original game?

Really good work Sega Chief!

In the Main Installer folder there should be a document called Changelog; that's an (incomplete) list of as much as I could remember changing. Some will be a nice and hopefully welcome surprise, others might not be; let me know if anything catches your eye that you don't like.
« Last Edit: 2016-07-19 06:40:15 by Sega Chief »

Len

• View Profile
« Reply #3976 on: 2016-07-19 07:50:49 »
Triple Reflect shouldn't be nerfed in any way, I think it's just that some spells work better than others (and Air Buster traditionally has high magic defence from the original game, the highest of any enemy in fact; but maybe I could remove that and give him normal magic defence so double reflect can be used there?)

I'll have to double check it then, because it seemed to only reflect single-target twice rather than three times at full power. Might've just been in a panic since that fight is pretty hard due to throwing two curveballs back to back.

Edit: After getting the whole party under reflect status in the second reactor, I cast Fire1/all on the party. It reflected onto three random targets.

Air Buster doesn't need any real changes. If you understand how his turning mechanic works, he's easier than most random encounters due to his x5 damage multiplier on back attacks. If anything I would have exploiting that weakness trigger something pretty nasty so it's not done so lightly.
« Last Edit: 2016-07-19 17:30:25 by Len »

Len

• View Profile
« Reply #3977 on: 2016-07-19 21:34:52 »
For some reason, Elena appears to have an unusually low amount of HP in her first battle, 41 instead of what I assume is meant to be 4100. Is this on my end? Only other mod I have installed is the 60fps battles mod which only edits battle animations and never touches the scene.bin.

I reinstalled FF7 to double-check and it remains the same. To go step-by step of what I did...

- Installed the PC version, then the 1.2 patch
- Set up Aali's Open GL plugin
- Backed up the Data folder
- Ran the new threat installer and both hotfixes, pointing at C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\SQUARE SOFT, INC\FINAL FANTASY VII\DATA
-- Installer was taken from the original post in this thread
- No warnings over write-protected files
- Open up Proud Clod to check, Elena still has 41HP
- Everything had admin permissions as far as I'm aware, and this instance didn't have the 60FPS mod data.

So I'm sure that something is going wrong somewhere along the line.
« Last Edit: 2016-07-19 22:11:27 by Len »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3978 on: 2016-07-20 06:14:23 »
For some reason, Elena appears to have an unusually low amount of HP in her first battle, 41 instead of what I assume is meant to be 4100. Is this on my end? Only other mod I have installed is the 60fps battles mod which only edits battle animations and never touches the scene.bin.

I reinstalled FF7 to double-check and it remains the same. To go step-by step of what I did...

- Installed the PC version, then the 1.2 patch
- Set up Aali's Open GL plugin
- Backed up the Data folder
- Ran the new threat installer and both hotfixes, pointing at C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\SQUARE SOFT, INC\FINAL FANTASY VII\DATA
-- Installer was taken from the original post in this thread
- No warnings over write-protected files
- Open up Proud Clod to check, Elena still has 41HP
- Everything had admin permissions as far as I'm aware, and this instance didn't have the 60FPS mod data.

So I'm sure that something is going wrong somewhere along the line.

No, no; I've done something silly again. If I'm testing an AI or a post-battle scene then I'll sometimes set HP to a lower value (so 41 instead of 4100) and then forget to set it back again. I'll sort it out.

Len

• View Profile
« Reply #3979 on: 2016-07-20 08:43:44 »
No, no; I've done something silly again.

It would probably be easier to just make them suceptible to instant death.

Also, the installer and the OP are contradictory. The OP says you require the hotfixes yet the hotfixes say that certain patches have already been put into the main installer. When I reinstalled this morning and checked Elena's HP each step I noticed it said that on the installer itself. Might want to clarify which takes priority.

Another issue I noticed. When I killed the Midgardsormer for the fun of it (Yes Mrs. Puff, I cheated by having Peerless, I just wanted to see it in action), the XP TNL started acting oddly. As I'm aware, it jumps up very sharply at around Lv20 to requiring around 14k. When I killed him and gained the XP, the TNL dropped down to a few thousand allowing me to gain 2-3 levels across the party per kill. I was fairly close to leveling at the time. Is this caused by a second XP lookup table only invoked when large amounts of XP are gained?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3980 on: 2016-07-20 09:05:04 »
It would probably be easier to just make them suceptible to instant death.

Also, the installer and the OP are contradictory. The OP says you require the hotfixes yet the hotfixes say that certain patches have already been put into the main installer. When I reinstalled this morning and checked Elena's HP each step I noticed it said that on the installer itself. Might want to clarify which takes priority.

Another issue I noticed. When I killed the Midgardsormer for the fun of it (Yes Mrs. Puff, I cheated by having Peerless, I just wanted to see it in action), the XP TNL started acting oddly. As I'm aware, it jumps up very sharply at around Lv20 to requiring around 14k. When I killed him and gained the XP, the TNL dropped down to a few thousand allowing me to gain 2-3 levels across the party per kill. I was fairly close to leveling at the time. Is this caused by a second XP lookup table only invoked when large amounts of XP are gained?

I'll check the text. The main installer is currently quite old so the patches are needed to get it completely up-to-date.

There are spikes in the exp curves every ten levels or so (11, 21, 31, and so on); they're combined with increasing exp from enemies area to area with a big increase starting up from Temple of the Ancients onwards to act as a safeguard against grinding that can occur when exploring, etc. They also let me judge where a party's level will roughly be for balancing purposes.

Len

• View Profile
« Reply #3981 on: 2016-07-20 09:26:55 »
So the curve spikes up for a few levels and then mellows out in a nonlinear fashion?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3982 on: 2016-07-20 20:00:05 »
Pretty much; the idea is that enemies in an area won't be able to easily push you past those caps but enemies/bosses in a later area will. You can still get through it, but it makes more sense time-wise to keep going than to stop and grind.

Len

• View Profile
« Reply #3983 on: 2016-07-20 22:32:22 »
Makes sense. You definitely know what you're doing with the design choices in this, especially the idea of consistent and uniform elemental affinities. I just beat Jenova Vector and it took me a good while to bring her down because of her massive HP and my pitiful damage. I'm certain that two Elementa=Earths would've made short work of her, but I have a bad habit of ignoring my options unless something completely pastes me, which I predict within the next few hours of play.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3984 on: 2016-07-21 07:30:27 »
Makes sense. You definitely know what you're doing with the design choices in this, especially the idea of consistent and uniform elemental affinities. I just beat Jenova Vector and it took me a good while to bring her down because of her massive HP and my pitiful damage. I'm certain that two Elementa=Earths would've made short work of her, but I have a bad habit of ignoring my options unless something completely pastes me, which I predict within the next few hours of play.

One thing about all Jenova-type enemies (SOLDIER, Jenova bosses, anything demonoid, etc.) is that they're all weak to the Holy element. Normally this isn't available until much later in the game from Alexander, but I added the element onto Restore/Revive Materia and some others so that it can be used with physical attacks at least. If you're short an Earth, then you can use Restore + Elemental instead to get that 2x physical damage going. The problem is that this isn't well advertised; I might need to try and add something in-game to call attention to the element being assigned to Restore Materia at least so that players know it's there.

iDerek759

• View Profile
« Reply #3985 on: 2016-07-21 07:43:12 »
One thing about all Jenova-type enemies (SOLDIER, Jenova bosses, anything demonoid, etc.) is that they're all weak to the Holy element. Normally this isn't available until much later in the game from Alexander, but I added the element onto Restore/Revive Materia and some others so that it can be used with physical attacks at least. If you're short an Earth, then you can use Restore + Elemental instead to get that 2x physical damage going. The problem is that this isn't well advertised; I might need to try and add something in-game to call attention to the element being assigned to Restore Materia at least so that players know it's there.

What if you mentioned something about it in the training room above the weapon shop upstairs in Sector 7?

Len

• View Profile
« Reply #3986 on: 2016-07-21 08:28:20 »
What if you mentioned something about it in the training room above the weapon shop upstairs in Sector 7?

Infodumps don't really help people all that much. For things like this, a more practical or direct example would be better. As far as I'm aware there are two Elemental materia in Midgar, one in the Mayor's office, another somewhere I forget. If my awareness is right, this scenario could work.

A side boss can be added at a point like Jenova's escape, have a Shinra soldier comment about how they threw literally everything they had at it and it's only harmed by Holy. Because their weapons can't link materia and they only had one holy elemental item, the party will have to do it. Then have him fork over an Elemental (and a Restore if you don't have it for some reason), explain how it works and how to tell what materia has what element.

If my awareness is wrong, this boss could be placed elsewhere and the second Elemental moved appropriately.

This gives the player an explanation followed by a practical example that is needed to proceed. It also reinforces the idea that elemental affinities are king.

Alternatively, have a random NPC say he had the idea to link Restore to Elemental on his weapon so he could heal his allies with physical attacks (a concept which is already established with Aerith), but it backfired and he has no friends anymore, but he has an easier time fending off ghosts from the train graveyard at least.

First is more direct, second needs interpretation and experimentation. Downside to the first is that people who don't freaking read will think "This boss is bugged nothing hurts it". Downside to the second is that people will come to the conclusion of "Restore = Element only hurts undead".
« Last Edit: 2016-07-21 09:07:29 by Len »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3987 on: 2016-07-21 12:14:14 »
Downside to the first is that people who don't freaking read will think "This boss is bugged nothing hurts it". Downside to the second is that people will come to the conclusion of "Restore = Element only hurts undead".

I can guarantee this will come to pass.

I'll add a couple of freaked out soldiers during the monster break-out in Shinra HQ and have them mention it; new NPCs tend to stick out to most players, and there aren't really any during that particular segment so they'll be hard to miss.

Len

• View Profile
« Reply #3988 on: 2016-07-21 21:31:29 »
Yeah an NPC saying that element+restore > Jenova's monsters would be a lot simpler. Now for some bug reports.

AI bug: If you poison a land worm in the corel desert, it repeatedly tries to counter with Psyche Up, but as it doesn't seem to work (works as intended on Dyne) it traps it in an AI loop, making it an easy kill.

Typo: When Aerith calls you after the Chocobo race, she says "We'll be waiting outsider, Cloud."

Also, in the southernmost area of the Train Graveyard, a barrel in the top left contains an "Echo Screen" instead of an "Echo Drop".

Another bug: When heading to the rail tracks, a PHS call doesn't seem to function properly, Cloud just answers the phone and nothing happens, and the game progresses normally. My party was Yuffie and Red XIII.

Minor inconsistency: The zombie powder spell of Lich GT doesn't impose a weakness to Holy despite it turning the enemies "undead".
« Last Edit: 2016-07-21 22:25:33 by Len »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3989 on: 2016-07-22 09:05:34 »
Yeah an NPC saying that element+restore > Jenova's monsters would be a lot simpler. Now for some bug reports.

AI bug: If you poison a land worm in the corel desert, it repeatedly tries to counter with Psyche Up, but as it doesn't seem to work (works as intended on Dyne) it traps it in an AI loop, making it an easy kill.

Typo: When Aerith calls you after the Chocobo race, she says "We'll be waiting outsider, Cloud."

Also, in the southernmost area of the Train Graveyard, a barrel in the top left contains an "Echo Screen" instead of an "Echo Drop".

Another bug: When heading to the rail tracks, a PHS call doesn't seem to function properly, Cloud just answers the phone and nothing happens, and the game progresses normally. My party was Yuffie and Red XIII.

Minor inconsistency: The zombie powder spell of Lich GT doesn't impose a weakness to Holy despite it turning the enemies "undead".

I'll sort those out, the Holy weakness on Attack Squad might be trickier though as I'm using the Wutai ones and I can't set weaknesses through AI (only absorb or null, the former of which is what's needed for taking damage from restorative).

Len

• View Profile
« Reply #3990 on: 2016-07-22 12:42:34 »
Couldn't you use Solder 2nds? I recall those being made weak to Holy. Bit of a hack, but pretty much everything in FF7 is a hack of some sort. Since you can get X-potions from Gold Saucer for 80GP and Cait gives you 100, and you'll likely have some elixirs or x-potions at this point...
« Last Edit: 2016-07-22 17:04:49 by Len »

FrancoiseHarpie

• View Profile
« Reply #3991 on: 2016-07-22 15:46:01 »
When fighting the enemy Pollensalta in Northern Crater, the game soft-locked after she used the skill L3 Def-loss. I got a continuous red-flashing screen and no more inputs could be made.

Got this 3 times total in one hour of gameplay. Is it something due to the PC version like with Beta and Hyper Jump, or anything else ?
« Last Edit: 2016-07-22 15:47:51 by FrancoiseHarpie »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3992 on: 2016-07-23 09:25:35 »
Couldn't you use Solder 2nds? I recall those being made weak to Holy. Bit of a hack, but pretty much everything in FF7 is a hack of some sort. Since you can get X-potions from Gold Saucer for 80GP and Cait gives you 100, and you'll likely have some elixirs or x-potions at this point...

There are scenes within the scene.bin that hold info for three enemies; I inserted Lich GT into the one containing Attack Squad so I'd need to move it + all the attacks elsewhere then re-do the flevel for a different encounter number. That being said, it's not impossible so next time I'm in there I'll check to see if there are any spaces kicking about with the SOLDIER enemies.

When fighting the enemy Pollensalta in Northern Crater, the game soft-locked after she used the skill L3 Def-loss. I got a continuous red-flashing screen and no more inputs could be made.

Got this 3 times total in one hour of gameplay. Is it something due to the PC version like with Beta and Hyper Jump, or anything else ?

Might be; some animations don't like being used with certain target criteria (Drain/Aspil won't work properly with multi-target for example). I'll get this sorted.

FrancoiseHarpie

• View Profile
« Reply #3993 on: 2016-07-23 10:44:31 »
It seems L3 Def-Loss only triggers when you use a Limit technique against her, and it always locks the game when that happens on my end. Guess not using any offensive Limit is some way to avoid this.

Besides, I've looked up in Proud Clod, L3 Def-Loss isn't even present in Salta's skill pool.
And I can't drive her to use Stasis Lock. Could it be that Salta was meant to use Stasis Lock instead of L3 Def-Loss as a counter to Limit Techniques ?

Edit : Indeed when I used Manip. on her Stasis Lock appears in the window, but once I select it, it's L3 Def-loss that's performed.
« Last Edit: 2016-07-23 14:32:29 by FrancoiseHarpie »

SirBlackMage

• View Profile
« Reply #3994 on: 2016-07-23 16:23:49 »
I found some bugs in the Mythril Cave. First of all, when fighting Elena and Rude, I scanned Elena before attacking only to find out she had a measly 41HP. I beat her with one attack before taking on Rude. Afterwards, I went north to the Rank Up room. After reading the explanation, I chose upgrades for my characters. Whatever I picked, I always got five more sources for every stat then I should have. For example, I picked Cloud's +5 to all stats option and got ten sources of each type. I tried not using the extra ones because that seemed cheap, but the game didn't let me progress until I  'drank my medicine'.

SunnyD

• View Profile
« Reply #3995 on: 2016-07-23 16:29:56 »
I found some bugs in the Mythril Cave. First of all, when fighting Elena and Rude, I scanned Elena before attacking only to find out she had a measly 41HP. I beat her with one attack before taking on Rude. Afterwards, I went north to the Rank Up room. After reading the explanation, I chose upgrades for my characters. Whatever I picked, I always got five more sources for every stat then I should have. For example, I picked Cloud's +5 to all stats option and got ten sources of each type. I tried not using the extra ones because that seemed cheap, but the game didn't let me progress until I  'drank my medicine'.

The rank up is working as intended. You get 5 of each source every time but can choose additional sources in specific stats.

SirBlackMage

• View Profile
« Reply #3996 on: 2016-07-23 16:32:25 »
The rank up is working as intended. You get 5 of each source every time but can choose additional sources in specific stats.

Ah, good to know. I don't think the explanation stated anything about getting sources for every stat as well as the ones you choose, so I assumed it was a bug.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3997 on: 2016-07-23 18:32:07 »
It seems L3 Def-Loss only triggers when you use a Limit technique against her, and it always locks the game when that happens on my end. Guess not using any offensive Limit is some way to avoid this.

Besides, I've looked up in Proud Clod, L3 Def-Loss isn't even present in Salta's skill pool.
And I can't drive her to use Stasis Lock. Could it be that Salta was meant to use Stasis Lock instead of L3 Def-Loss as a counter to Limit Techniques ?

Edit : Indeed when I used Manip. on her Stasis Lock appears in the window, but once I select it, it's L3 Def-loss that's performed.

That's interesting it appears as Stasis Lock in the manip. window. What happened was, I changed the kernel spell entry for Stasis lock into L3 Def-Loss and because the attack is looked up in the kernel, I didn't see a reason to change the scene entry for the attack. I guess it checks the scene for the manip. box name. Def-Loss is the intended counter though; it replaced Stasis Lock.

Ah, good to know. I don't think the explanation stated anything about getting sources for every stat as well as the ones you choose, so I assumed it was a bug.

I figured it'd be a good way to stop some stats being left rock-bottom if they all got a base-line boost. I'll try and update the info in-game.

Len

• View Profile
« Reply #3998 on: 2016-07-24 10:47:38 »
I found some bugs in the Mythril Cave. First of all, when fighting Elena and Rude, I scanned Elena before attacking only to find out she had a measly 41HP.

He's already aware of this bug, he nerfed her for testing purposes and forgot to change her back. You can edit her stats in Proud Clod if you want her to function as intended. I'll talk you through it.

• Open ProudClod and select the modded Scene.bin
  • In the topmost dropdown, select "1: Rude, Elena, X-ATM Scorpion"
  • Click enemy management, edit enemy stats, then open Elena's tab
  • Set Elena's HP to the intended value of 4100.
  • Click OK, then file, Create Scene.Bin, then Yes to the kernel question

SwordofAeons

• View Profile
« Reply #3999 on: 2016-07-25 12:23:58 »
I'm getting a hard crash following the Air Buster fight using the 7H version from July 15th.  The cutscene with the fall will play, but after it fades to black and Cloud is meant to wake up in the church, it freezes on the black screen.  I had originally activated some other cosmetic mods, but the crash persists even when booting with a naked New Threat.

Here's my save file right before the fight: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByVm1e2MFeP4OEJQeWR5WEJ4cFk&usp=sharing

Anybody else made it to the church with the 7H version?