Author Topic: Final fantasy XI Online, Offline?  (Read 10343 times)

oglsmm

• View Profile
Final fantasy XI Online, Offline?
« on: 2003-12-10 13:09:49 »
Does anyone know if it would be possible to make a server end program for the ffxi world so that people could connect to your machine for free instead of paying to connect to squares.

I know that the # of people etc would be very limited but still it would be neat.

IIRC didn't people do this with Ultima and NWN?

oglsmm

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
« Reply #1 on: 2003-12-10 16:28:21 »
I think it would be possible.  Someone would have to write a "fake server" and you'd have to be able to change the address of the server that FFXI wants to connect to.  Of course, I don't think this would be legal.  Probably says something about it in the EULA.

I dunno about Ultima, but with NWN, there is no problem with people running their own server.  They even have a dedicated server app for you (I dunno if you have to pay for it, I don't think so).  But NWN's online service is completely free anyway.

Galadyn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2003-12-10 17:04:51 »
It's been done with DAoC too.  CoAD, I think it's called.

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2003-12-10 22:28:40 »
would be interesting
as i have FF11, but im based in UK, i have it from the USA, now if i want to play I have to connect to USA servers, and maybe playonline wont like me as im english, with a UK address...

Lieron

• View Profile
    • Learnin' Time
« Reply #4 on: 2003-12-10 23:05:18 »
yeah... i've seen "fake EQ's" beofre too

The Skillster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2003-12-11 10:43:35 »
EQs?

oglsmm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2003-12-11 11:59:43 »
Quote from: The Skillster
would be interesting
as i have FF11, but im based in UK, i have it from the USA, now if i want to play I have to connect to USA servers, and maybe playonline wont like me as im english, with a UK address...

Actually I know several people who connect usa a US import copy in Europe.

Also there are not true "USA Servers" the servers all based in Japan with the 1 *possible* exception of the newest server they just added.

I live in Canada and the server I'm on is in Japan and I rarely if ever seen any kind of lag.

oglsmm

The Skillster

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2003-12-11 19:02:15 »
dont u have to first register on playonline?
then that should reject u if ur euro, or if my billing address is euro?

Caddberry

• View Profile
    • http://animenfo.com/
« Reply #8 on: 2003-12-11 21:02:19 »
I'm pretty sure its not legal, as there was some similar thing done with some other MMORPG that got shut down, but just so long as you dont start a website advertising what you do i think you would be ok (IIRC that is the only reason they got shutdown because they advertised it) Also if it hasnt been done already legal or not i expect something like it will be done soon.. I think it would be awesome to play on a huge server with lots of people, but what really matters is playing with friends and people you know.. If you get a group together i imagine you could have just as much fun without paying.. (LoL which is probably why its illegal.. or at least one that i know of got shut down)

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
« Reply #9 on: 2003-12-11 21:06:20 »
Actually now that I think about it, it should be completely legal as long as you aren't making any money off of it or something.  Anyway, maybe I'd get the game if there were some good free servers I could play on... my biggest objection to FFXI is that you have to pay monthly, and even though the monthly payments aren't that high, there are times that I think I wouldn't have enough time to play it and get my money's worth out of it.

mr.bridge

« Reply #10 on: 2003-12-11 21:27:51 »
EQs = EverQuest.

The fine people over here have their own emulator, but not for FFXI.

Smurgen

• View Profile
    • Http://smurgen.kj-soft.com
« Reply #11 on: 2003-12-12 03:44:28 »
Well its not illegal as long as they don't copy any of the server code..and that shouldn't be too easy to do anyway. Just a redirect to the client to the rouge servers and..hell....you can do that in regestry..dependong on how the game handles it. The only legal issues that might arise would be if you can play on the servers using copied games..and you most likely would be able to...hmm...

oglsmm

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2003-12-12 12:25:51 »
Quote from: The Skillster
dont u have to first register on playonline?
then that should reject u if ur euro, or if my billing address is euro?

I don't believe so. I hear a lot of people talking about playing from europe.... Square doesn't really care where you are from... they just need the time to traslate the language.... or so I  believe.

oglsmm

usman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2003-12-12 17:17:46 »
Suddenly Yes:
If some one able to make such Server Emulating software I must say it would be the biggest achievment. Because Playing on Offline server on LAN with friends would be just great.
Cant wait for such Thing. :)

The Skillster

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2003-12-13 23:14:04 »
ok i AM playing FFXI online now
BUT i had to enter an unofficial USA/Canada address,
but my credit card address was from the UK :)
im baffled as to why theres so many logins/handle and stuff
like u connect, with ur playonline ID, then u log in, then you have individual handles, from which you have to create characters for.
My username is Skillster
Ive only completed the mines mission, (#1) and that about it,
damn easy to get lost at the start in the mines...
plus i hate running from one side of the town to the other :(

The Skillster

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2003-12-16 11:42:29 »
how do i check which game server I am playing on?

The Skillster

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2003-12-21 13:07:53 »
im actually on Gilgamesh :(
i noticed a big influx in jap speaking people this week
not to mention dieing 5 times in a row on that stupid geological survey mission (number 2 in bustok)

usman

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2004-01-02 15:52:37 »
Hi All:
Please tell me is there anyone here intrested in making such wonderful thing :)

Caddberry

• View Profile
    • http://animenfo.com/
« Reply #18 on: 2004-01-02 20:08:56 »
I think everyone is interested in it.. What i was thinking about when posted was project Yare or something for the game called Rangnarok or something.. Not too familiar with either, but it seems that they ran free servers, and that pissed someone off.. Through a LAN maybe not, but if you ran it through the internet, set up a site, and got tons of people on it Square wouldnt get any money. These game companies seem to be gettin kinda greedy.

usman

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2004-01-03 09:25:03 »
Hi:
I think it will be lot of fun if a Server is setup in a small LAN or something and using TCP/IP FFXI can be played on the NETWORK.
Its a great Idea I am intrested in starting the project I got some Knowledge of JAVA.
Anyone else here have some coding knowledge and have any thing related with this if so please let us know.