Author Topic: Aeris model wip  (Read 21607 times)

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
Aeris model wip
« on: 2009-07-13 23:59:02 »
yes... i still call her aeris. She tends to be my least favorite of characters, with her quirky attitude and short life expectancy, but alas, i'm trying to go in order (srry aeris fans that red came first :P). A lot of it doesnt look right, but hey thats what C/c is for. Being a character i'm not that fond of, i'll have more margin for error so please correct me people!

And i know... she has no pony tail yet...

Lionfist

• View Profile
Re: Aeris model wip
« Reply #1 on: 2009-07-14 00:03:20 »
looks awesome. even tho her legs seem a bit much to be apart? i remember her to be thiner, or look thiner.
actually,without the ponytail you could save her and use her as her mother, 'cus she looks exactly like that.

Greets,
Lionfist  :wink:

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009-07-14 00:07:45 »
Yeah, she looks a bit fat ATM :oops:

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 2009-07-14 01:52:27 »
I have a dumb question, but why do all of these model examples never show the sketch layer? In order to model well, you must either be able to take from a life capture or draw the base yourself... Very rarely do I even see professional modelers be able to just make a model out of thin air.

Let me give you an example...

Here is a model I'm working on for a completely different thing.

As you can see, my drawing behind the model helps guide the geometry of the character. In the end I can make WIP models that look like this...

Something bugging me about the models. Something about them feels "prefab", but I can't put my finger on in. I mean, I do things like vertex weighting so that clothes fall properly, like  this for example... Now I'm not asking to be all complex, but these models scream IKEA for some reason. I can't put my finger on it, but I think I've seen this prefab before.... The models seemed to be mirrored, bit it's not lined up on a grid point  I only bring this up because your model proportions look way off, but there isn't any guide I can see to correct that. The lips and face geometry don't match any known rendering of Aerith I know of, and a is very consistent between different models.

The body doesn't seem quite 7 heads high, and are squished in places. You need to move the hips down to a somewhat human position You have them near the elbow. You need to move her legs/feet to under her center of gravity and move the arms back to that you can get a good posture for the animation armature. She is also missing the "junk in the trunk" if you know what I mean.

This might help.

Also UV map a drawing of the face you are going to be putting  on the character. That would help a lot.
« Last Edit: 2009-07-14 02:04:59 by halkun »

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009-07-14 02:14:42 »

mine reference ^^

I sometimes model from nothing, sometimes from drawing, depends on my mood or how much i want a model to resemble another work vs. how creative i feel. The head proportion is because ff7 aeris has a toooon of hair and i felt like toning it down.

What i'm doing for this model collection is taking the ff7 models and posing them to how i feel like modeling my character. This is because of not being able to custom animate things in ff7, so i want things to be to scale so they move nicely. When i split it i'll be matching the size of my model to the original parts more, but thats a little further away.

to the prefab look, I agree, this isnt one of my better models. I dont like her outfit and am having a lot of issues with her shoulders (i dont want her box shoulders from nomura art). the body is pretty much just the ring of her torso extruded and scaled x or y so doesnt look very interesting, and because of the ff7 model not being nicely posable her leg space makes her look rather... large. I did it in about an hour n a half or something, and its not close to done, just wanted to post a wip. The facial topoly is based mostly on kh/2 work.

p.s.
nice anime chick, though yer face topology looks a lil weird.

polaris_027

« Reply #5 on: 2009-07-14 02:55:55 »
hmm..nice model but just some constructive comments if you dont mind. :-D..her chest looks straight..make it sexier..and i think her posture is abit awkward..looks like she's slouching..

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009-07-14 03:40:47 »
Umm..now I'm no physicist... but I think the back of her dress should curve back inwards after her butt.  Or at least fall straight down  :-P

apz freak

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009-07-14 06:20:44 »
I understand this is the most basic of beginning places for the model, but here's my 2 cents as to where to go from here. You can take it or leave it! :wink:

Yeah the skeletal placement is most annoying, but really all you need as something that fits in that direction of the movement in the animation. This is my interpretation of making her more slender and curvy. Remember the "Line of Action" that is the spine that usually has that familiar "S" shape. The smart use of "S" curves helps to make a model more attractive, as a general rule for drawing pretty ladies!

But you probably know all of this, that's okay. But if any of this confusing jumbo makes sense or helps then that'll be cool!

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009-07-14 07:34:44 »
Hrm... it looks like she's got a butt...
Only problem is that it's waaay too low....
and that her hips are way too high.

Scaling some of the corners up and down (butt and hips, respectively) would make it look spot on though. Very good if you just made this from scratch. I probably couldn't do any better, I'm no good at modeling anything that isn't blueprinted out for me.

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 2009-07-14 09:24:07 »
Oh! you are using the original model as a base... OK, you stand vindicated. Sorry, I just went through that completely retarded "AVHD Project" thread and had a bit of left over nerd rage. That idiot is trying to pass off a makehuman model as his own and I was bring hypercritical, especially when I work my ass of trying to make original content, only to have some moron try and pass off work he didn't do as his own.

Actually, I may have to call him on it...

Also. I like the reshaping example with blue lines a lot! it moves the hips down without altering the basic shape of the model. I think you should go with that.
« Last Edit: 2009-07-14 09:26:43 by halkun »

Lionfist

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009-07-14 12:12:35 »
I understand this is the most basic of beginning places for the model, but here's my 2 cents as to where to go from here. You can take it or leave it! :wink:

Yeah the skeletal placement is most annoying, but really all you need as something that fits in that direction of the movement in the animation. This is my interpretation of making her more slender and curvy. Remember the "Line of Action" that is the spine that usually has that familiar "S" shape. The smart use of "S" curves helps to make a model more attractive, as a general rule for drawing pretty ladies!

But you probably know all of this, that's okay. But if any of this confusing jumbo makes sense or helps then that'll be cool!

Hell, if you can imagine how to make girls so sexy,start with a hot tifa model  :-D

@Polaris_027

I think aeris chest was actually kinda small and straight, so if he modifies it, he shouldn't do it too much.

polaris_027

« Reply #11 on: 2009-07-14 12:21:59 »
nope..i think aerith's chest is just as sexy looking at tifa's(although tifa's breast are larger)..in AC youll notice that a little cute cleavage of her breasts sticks out from her dress (ahem..not being pervy here)..just saying that her chest should really have som shape..hope that helps and i definitely agree with apz..a normal human always have an S shaped vertebra..that should always be a basis for good modeling :-D..

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009-07-14 13:52:39 »
thx apz, i'll probably paste that pic as a bg reference. you should give me one of those for all my models :P. I think it had to do with her wearing a dress (vs. tifa being half naked) that i felt inclined to make everything more bland and less shapely.

as to Aeris' breasts, the original model her her nearly flat, though i will be expanding them to match AC.

You'll all have an update later today! :D

EDIT:
that was fast o.o

mostly shaped around apz's reference - thanks bud btw, check yer pms ><

Hell, if you can imagine how to make girls so sexy,start with a hot tifa model  :-D

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8600.msg107549#msg107549
« Last Edit: 2009-07-14 14:34:33 by timu sumisu »

Lionfist

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2009-07-14 15:05:20 »

Quote from: timu sumisu
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8600.msg107549#msg107549

hell i forgot about that model, i'm sry  :wink:

your aeris looks way better now, but it kinda looks like her feet need to be placed a lil bit backwards (if you look at it from the side; and not much, it just looks kinda missplaced with like, only one step, and noone has the legs exactly at the beginning of the skirt, only at walking maybe.  :-))

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009-07-14 15:09:29 »
yea thx, i totally fergot to move em o.o

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2009-07-14 17:30:01 »
I see what ya mean on the legs.

Also he stomach seems to stick out a tad. I dunno if it's suppose to.

Also i remember the tifa model. Very very good model. :-D

squallff8

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2009-07-14 17:46:27 »
Thats REALLY AWESOME models,timu sumisu!All your models looks fantastic!You are GREAT man! :wink:
Too bad there is no texture masters that will complete these models :-( I wish i know how make textures to help you..

gigaherz

• View Profile
    • gigaherz's shitty stuff
« Reply #17 on: 2009-07-15 01:49:37 »
Hello people, hadn't been around here for ages...

Just my opinion but, shouldn't her... ankles be around the same line as the neck (when seen from the side), right now it seems like she's losing balance and gonna fall backwards any moment... makes me feel kind of dizzy looking at it. :/

polaris_027

« Reply #18 on: 2009-07-15 05:44:51 »
nice point there gigaherts!

TheNathanParable

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2009-07-16 00:23:14 »
I know you said you don't like the pointy shoulders from Nomura's artwork, but I honestly think that you should include them. As you can see from the original mesh, they sort of help to frame the model. Not to say you couldn't change them a little bit to look a bit nicer, perhaps add a couple of creases and such, but right now it looks kinda awkward to just have the shoulders smooth.

Also, I think you should make her left (HER left, not OUR left ^^;) bang a bit bigger and a bit longer. I think the only thing I dislike about how Aeris has evolved is how they've ended up making her hair look symmetrical. Although she looks nice in KH2 and AC, I think her symmetrical bangs seem a lot more bland than her original asymmetrical ones. You might wanna use KH1 as reference to see how they did this (she still had asymmetrical bangs then).

Aeris is probably my favorite character from the Final Fantasy games, so I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE you for making her, but it also means i'm gonna be watching you LIKE A HAWK! :P

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2009-07-16 01:34:52 »
Bishyt, i then expect precise and constant criticism until you think the model is perfect... because of my lack of love for her... i put up with more errors, that and I dont really have a diffinitive view of what she should look like. so... be around when i post updates later this evening.

Edit:

not quite perfect.. not sure if its a good way to do the hair... blahhh gimme yer thots!
« Last Edit: 2009-07-16 02:35:01 by timu sumisu »

Izban

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2009-07-16 02:42:16 »
needs a tad more cleavage also needs a view from behind to see the hair better also i beleive there should be a little more of a gap between her arms and the jacket cuffs

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2009-07-16 02:47:01 »
Since i don't like Aeris it looks fine to me haha. As per usual, awesome model

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2009-07-16 03:03:14 »
Yeah, I like it so far. Maybe take the waistline down just a touch though?

Grimmy

• Join in my tarnished light.
    • View Profile
    • GrimmyGames
« Reply #24 on: 2009-07-16 04:40:14 »
Okay so as an art teacher this model is hard to look at for a few simple reasons. Look at the shoulders in relation to the hips and then down to the ankles. You should follow anatomical illustrations like this.