Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4838240 times)

synkaito

• View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v1.5)
« Reply #8425 on: 2019-08-19 16:14:12 »
Kaktuar didn't drop 7777 needles for me, only cactuar gun....where can i get it?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8426 on: 2019-08-19 17:22:35 »
Good timing karsh, here's those EXEs for adjusted tifa reels (no miss):
https://mega.nz/#!G9shTSSb!mfUa6XHjBPOd12Exsd8C65GuFMl-bXKuKSzAjmKrvx0

Kaktuar didn't drop 7777 needles for me, only cactuar gun....where can i get it?

It should have been a key item, check your key item list. If it isn't there then something's went wrong.

Karsh Highwind

• View Profile
« Reply #8427 on: 2019-08-19 18:36:38 »
Good timing karsh, here's those EXEs for adjusted tifa reels (no miss):
https://mega.nz/#!G9shTSSb!mfUa6XHjBPOd12Exsd8C65GuFMl-bXKuKSzAjmKrvx0

Awesome thank you sir! I did post something a bit earlier about Vincent, but it's pending approval from a moderator so you may not have seen it just yet. It's some idea's around Vincent to make him a bit more reliable due to his special LB compared to others in the party.

Also, would you have some time later to discuss some of the aspects of how to modify the EXE. That way when you do a new release, I can modify the EXE myself for the Tifa reels.

Appreciate the help and I'm looking forward to play your final, final version!  ;D

GameGeeks

• View Profile
« Reply #8428 on: 2019-08-19 22:28:18 »
Did you change the parade rewards?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8429 on: 2019-08-19 23:41:29 »
Don't worry about it, I'm in no rush! I'm very curious how you go about editing the file to produce this result.

I did have a secondary question about Vincent...I doubt it's possible, but figured I'd ask and see:

-) When you limit on Vincent, is there a possibility to actually control his actions at all? Would that require entirely recoding his AI?

-) If controlling him isn't an option, would it be possible to maybe revert him to his normal form after let's say 3-5 rounds of combat?

-) If none of these options work, could his LB forms deal at least 1 form of medium to high non elemental damage to give some incentive to losing control of him in battle?

The reason I ask is mainly because of all the characters in VII, he's the wildcard (outside of Cait Sith's slots haha) that can get you killed in certain fights if you LB at the wrong time due to not being able to revive someone, provide AoE healing, ect. Or worse yet, you LB in a form like Galian beast that deals fire damage, but the boss absorbs fire damage, thus hamstringing your fight.

I like that he's a beefy caster, and you can essentially never LB and only cast spells/use command materia, but that makes his LB's kinda pointless in most fights.

Thanks!

Editing is setting up a hext file (a notepad) that gets patched onto an exe directly either using hexttools or at runtime temporarily via 7th heaven. You specify the address and then the bytes to change. Bit rudimentary but it gets the job done.

It's not so much the AI, as it is the battle menu not really being designed to support it. Closest would be the manipulate battle menu but that pulls data from an enemy. An interface like that which would block off the normal battle menu would probably be the cleanest way. I tried form reversion by killing/reviving but it didn't take unfortunately.

Awesome thank you sir! I did post something a bit earlier about Vincent, but it's pending approval from a moderator so you may not have seen it just yet. It's some idea's around Vincent to make him a bit more reliable due to his special LB compared to others in the party.

Also, would you have some time later to discuss some of the aspects of how to modify the EXE. That way when you do a new release, I can modify the EXE myself for the Tifa reels.

Appreciate the help and I'm looking forward to play your final, final version!  ;D

Download DLPB's hexttools here: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=13574.0
Then in the hextedit folder, place the NT ff7.exe and ff7_en.exe (first is for 1998/7h, second is for steam; use whichever you need). In the HE_In folder, place a notepad with this:

https://pastebin.com/z0R6a79p

Replace the ff7.exe at the top with ff7_en.exe if you're looking to patch the steam version.

Drag the .exe onto the hextedit .BAT file and it should patch it.

Karsh Highwind

• View Profile
« Reply #8430 on: 2019-08-19 23:57:50 »
Great information Sega Chief, thanks a lot! My Hex editing skills extend as far as SNES and some stuff on RPG Maker. Nothing to the level of what you've achieved in these few years working on NT!

I'll practice what you mentioned and see if I can get it going on my own when your next update hits.

Cheers!

cc12138030

• View Profile
« Reply #8431 on: 2019-08-20 04:18:42 »
Is there any way to donate that isn't through PayPal? I'd love to support what you do since it's basically a new game for me, but I would prefer not to use PayPal.

vegetamaker

• View Profile
« Reply #8432 on: 2019-08-20 05:08:41 »
It's an oversight left over from Sega Chief. Not a secret character, it's not Sephiroth joining the party, just something left over from when he was testing out.

He mentioned it a couple times in the thread  :)

Oh! I thought something like that. Thanks! I guess my English wasn't enough good to know how to find it in the thread :3

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8433 on: 2019-08-20 08:27:05 »
Great information Sega Chief, thanks a lot! My Hex editing skills extend as far as SNES and some stuff on RPG Maker. Nothing to the level of what you've achieved in these few years working on NT!

I'll practice what you mentioned and see if I can get it going on my own when your next update hits.

Cheers!

Thanks, but a lot of the hex edits made is stuff discovered by other people so credit to them for reverse-engineering a lot of this stuff.

Is there any way to donate that isn't through PayPal? I'd love to support what you do since it's basically a new game for me, but I would prefer not to use PayPal.

Patreon was suggested by a couple of people, but setting it up it looked to be more of a thing for original content creators than for modders. Not sure if I can actually use it or not but I'll look at it again.

Oh! I thought something like that. Thanks! I guess my English wasn't enough good to know how to find it in the thread :3

Your English is fine, this forum is fairly old and stuff gets buried easily.

GameGeeks

• View Profile
« Reply #8434 on: 2019-08-20 09:48:35 »
Can I get an answer about the parade rewards?

synkaito

• View Profile
« Reply #8435 on: 2019-08-20 11:50:31 »
It should have been a key item, check your key item list. If it isn't there then something's went wrong.

..thank you for the reply and yes, after i read your reply, i searched my key item and didn't find it, BUT...it was because i thought i need 7777 needles to craft Premium Heart, and after i check the list from Gerolt i found out that it should be Micro Engine instead, and then i found out again i already used 7777 needles for Conformer, yes that was my fail of the month ;D ;D ;D ;D

maybe my eyes play trick on me when i read the ingredients list  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8436 on: 2019-08-20 12:52:04 »
Can I get an answer about the parade rewards?

For regular parade, it's grenade, ethers, or a Hero Drink II (for 50+%) but the hero drink II is of no use to you until much later in the game by which point you can find more of them.

For the send-off, the first two prizes are nothing and a potion. 120+ points gets you a Rune Armlet though. And possibly a migraine.

..thank you for the reply and yes, after i read your reply, i searched my key item and didn't find it, BUT...it was because i thought i need 7777 needles to craft Premium Heart, and after i check the list from Gerolt i found out that it should be Micro Engine instead, and then i found out again i already used 7777 needles for Conformer, yes that was my fail of the month ;D ;D ;D ;D

maybe my eyes play trick on me when i read the ingredients list  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ah I see, no worries then. If a key item goes missing that tends to be more awkward to fix than a regular item so glad to hear it didn't vanish.

GameGeeks

• View Profile
« Reply #8437 on: 2019-08-20 13:25:31 »
Thanks, I can do the send off, but suck at the parade.

Karsh Highwind

• View Profile
« Reply #8438 on: 2019-08-20 14:33:18 »

Hey no problem! There's a lot of great information in this thread but it's over 330 pages of stuff to read through hehe. Nobody blames you for not finding it lol.

The good thing is in the short time I've been on here, there are many people willing to help and answer questions you may have within a day or so of you posting it.

Also, your English seems just fine to me.

cc12138030

• View Profile
« Reply #8439 on: 2019-08-21 04:57:13 »

Patreon was suggested by a couple of people, but setting it up it looked to be more of a thing for original content creators than for modders. Not sure if I can actually use it or not but I'll look at it again.

I know I would be on board. Plus I think it would be easier to see updates and post suggestions and whatnot. Especially considering this thread is like a million pages long and 42 years old.

vegetamaker

• View Profile
« Reply #8440 on: 2019-08-21 05:02:43 »
Hello again! I have another question. I am completing the run and I am finishing the Limit 4 sidequests right now. And I have a question... I saw a new Limit Break was added for Cait Sith and he has a sidequest for Limit Break 4. Has him new limit breaks 4? I opened Black Chocobo to check it but it isn't prepared for it so...

Again I didn't find anything in search tab about it, sorry :/

Thanks for your time.

Hey no problem! There's a lot of great information in this thread but it's over 330 pages of stuff to read through hehe. Nobody blames you for not finding it lol.

The good thing is in the short time I've been on here, there are many people willing to help and answer questions you may have within a day or so of you posting it.

Also, your English seems just fine to me.
Thanks, but my English is very basic. Many times I can't find things in English because my vocabulary is insufficient. And many times Google Translate don't help so neither ^^

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8441 on: 2019-08-21 08:31:01 »
I know I would be on board. Plus I think it would be easier to see updates and post suggestions and whatnot. Especially considering this thread is like a million pages long and 42 years old.

I guess it could be used for that. I'll set it up during the week and then link it back.

Hello again! I have another question. I am completing the run and I am finishing the Limit 4 sidequests right now. And I have a question... I saw a new Limit Break was added for Cait Sith and he has a sidequest for Limit Break 4. Has him new limit breaks 4? I opened Black Chocobo to check it but it isn't prepared for it so...

Again I didn't find anything in search tab about it, sorry :/

Thanks for your time.
Thanks, but my English is very basic. Many times I can't find things in English because my vocabulary is insufficient. And many times Google Translate don't help so neither ^^

Cait Sith only has one new Limit Break on his Lv.1 Limits that is unlocked after Dice. He has no Lv.4 Limit, but still has a sidequest like the other characters except he gets an item that is used to make his ultimate weapon instead. Sorry for the confusion.

cc12138030

• View Profile
« Reply #8442 on: 2019-08-21 08:37:43 »
I'm entering the dark cave for the first time in the sleeping forest, and I keep getting a soft-lock. As soon as Cloud and Barret wake up and finish their dialogue (I assume), they just stand there looking at each other and I can't do anything. Don't know if it is a different mod causing this, or if I need to re-install or something, just wanted to see if this is a known issue with a fix or not. Thanks.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8443 on: 2019-08-21 10:00:39 »
I'm entering the dark cave for the first time in the sleeping forest, and I keep getting a soft-lock. As soon as Cloud and Barret wake up and finish their dialogue (I assume), they just stand there looking at each other and I can't do anything. Don't know if it is a different mod causing this, or if I need to re-install or something, just wanted to see if this is a known issue with a fix or not. Thanks.

It's a mod conflict, you'll need to deactivate your other mods temporarily, play up to the first save point in the reactor, and then reactivate your other mods. The exact cause is still unknown.

lakecityransom

• View Profile
« Reply #8444 on: 2019-08-21 13:31:19 »
Hi, just stopping by mainly to say I appreciate the work! I'm 1/3 done and it has been challenging in a fun way. This mod has motivated me to come back and play my favorite game 10 years since I last touched it. The game actually did a poor job of utilizing the complex system it had and vanilla is quite easy if you study. I've seen a couple popular streamers play, Calebhart42 and now Maximilian_DOOD.

Does 7th Heaven only support v1.4? Everyone I see is playing that. The "Gameplay - Difficulty & Story" section on 7th heaven is doing v1.4, I found v1.5 only digging for more info. As a guy who makes stuff, I just hate seeing new work go to waste so I'm mentioning it here.

Some feedback:
- Unfortunately there are some brutal FF7 launching issues as I'm sure you're aware, where I even have to untick/retick run as admin & apply on the .exes to fix sometimes (very strange).  [Edit: Actually sometimes its 7th Heaven .exe itself I have to untick/retick/apply run as admin to, maybe its the manager or other mods doing this)

- Did I miss steal materia? I found an Excel file outlining steal/morphs that stretches back to Midgar, but I got it post-Midgar. I think I bought at Kalm IIRC. I'm a little apprehensive of missing things and its hard to come by information such as where all the enemy skills are to be expected. I realize you didn't write down a comprehensive changelog and I realize how difficult that is to stick to.

- I bugged out the Scorpion fight where it guards the elevator inside the Shinra building. I got cute and morphed it. It triggered the entire fight again, I thought it was intended! Then it said "What's this?" and Keycard item pickup. I then went to save and it said "What's this?" and pulled up the menu and I got a softlock.

- It would be helpful if the character special abilities are re-iterated somewhere, maybe the place with the 3 dudes flexin with all the other info (maybe it was, I should check when I can)

- It would be nice if you could squeeze a version # somewhere visible like the save point screen or something. I realize there are some subtle queues to figure this out and maybe you don't want to forget about changing the number on a release. :)

- I've noticed you've buffered out some of the annoying things in the storyline that are tedius or annoying (like forgetting the 1st enemy skill materia)

- The Yuffie bit was a riot

- I have managed to notice some of your funny text additions to the game. I had to double-check that this wasn't canon, good one: https://i.imgur.com/3hAZHAq.jpg

That's all I can think of for now.
« Last Edit: 2019-08-21 13:55:24 by lakecityransom »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8445 on: 2019-08-21 15:35:06 »
Hi, just stopping by mainly to say I appreciate the work! I'm 1/3 done and it has been challenging in a fun way. This mod has motivated me to come back and play my favorite game 10 years since I last touched it. The game actually did a poor job of utilizing the complex system it had and vanilla is quite easy if you study. I've seen a couple popular streamers play, Calebhart42 and now Maximilian_DOOD.

Does 7th Heaven only support v1.4? Everyone I see is playing that. The "Gameplay - Difficulty & Story" section on 7th heaven is doing v1.4, I found v1.5 only digging for more info. As a guy who makes stuff, I just hate seeing new work go to waste so I'm mentioning it here.

Some feedback:
- Unfortunately there are some brutal FF7 launching issues as I'm sure you're aware, where I even have to untick/retick run as admin & apply on the .exes to fix sometimes (very strange).  [Edit: Actually sometimes its 7th Heaven .exe itself I have to untick/retick/apply run as admin to, maybe its the manager or other mods doing this)

- Did I miss steal materia? I found an Excel file outlining steal/morphs that stretches back to Midgar, but I got it post-Midgar. I think I bought at Kalm IIRC. I'm a little apprehensive of missing things and its hard to come by information such as where all the enemy skills are to be expected. I realize you didn't write down a comprehensive changelog and I realize how difficult that is to stick to.

- I bugged out the Scorpion fight where it guards the elevator inside the Shinra building. I got cute and morphed it. It triggered the entire fight again, I thought it was intended! Then it said "What's this?" and Keycard item pickup. I then went to save and it said "What's this?" and pulled up the menu and I got a softlock.

- It would be helpful if the character special abilities are re-iterated somewhere, maybe the place with the 3 dudes flexin with all the other info (maybe it was, I should check when I can)

- It would be nice if you could squeeze a version # somewhere visible like the save point screen or something. I realize there are some subtle queues to figure this out and maybe you don't want to forget about changing the number on a release. :)

- I've noticed you've buffered out some of the annoying things in the storyline that are tedius or annoying (like forgetting the 1st enemy skill materia)

- The Yuffie bit was a riot

- I have managed to notice some of your funny text additions to the game. I had to double-check that this wasn't canon, good one: https://i.imgur.com/3hAZHAq.jpg

That's all I can think of for now.

7h can support 1.5, but the current catalog hasn't been updated yet (as far as I l know). Either import the IRO found on the front pages of this thread using 7h. The one on this thread should be considered most up to date.

7h as a user experience isn't very friendly as the install process can hit a lot of snags and other glitches can occur which requires a reinstall (windows update or possibly graphics driver updates can require 7h to be stripped out and reinstalled; I've also got an issue currently where any file called 'ff7.exe' on my PC will be blocked from running, so I have to rename them to 'ff7 - alias.exe' or similar now.

Steal is in its original location in the sewers, by the hatch leading from the Aps area to the second area. Perhaps mods make it less distinctive on the ground?

I wouldn't have though Morph could cause the battle to bug out like that, in fact it might be the case that the script itself can be bugged under certain circumstances. It's probably that save point causing it all, maybe a shared variable trigger or script clash.

I'll add innate information to the beginner's hall somewhere, or place an NPC on the highwind that can act as an 'all-in-one' for the beginner's hall.

I should have kept a tertiary (patch) number on the versions; we're probably at 1.5.100 or something by now.

As far as the dialogue goes, I've seen people on streams and in youtube comments swearing blind that some default dialogue wasn't there before or that something I've added was in the base game. I think the PC version base dialogue being different from the PSX version base dialogue in certain ways doesn't help.

lakecityransom

• View Profile
« Reply #8446 on: 2019-08-21 16:01:52 »
Steal is in its original location in the sewers, by the hatch leading from the Aps area to the second area. Perhaps mods make it less distinctive on the ground?

Wow, I'm like 100% certain I picked that up. Even 10 years going by wasn't enough to keep me from looking for it haha. I must have glitched it out or something. Oh well, small price to pay in the end. That reminds me, I did have a odd moment where I was messing with materia swaps and caused 1 materia to converge the information of 2 and leave 1 blank then I reloaded to be safe. That was probably a game bug or something.

Very interesting if that text wasn't you haha. Yes, I did check a PSX video on YouTube to reference the "original" dialogue.

vegetamaker

• View Profile
« Reply #8447 on: 2019-08-21 17:38:45 »

Cait Sith only has one new Limit Break on his Lv.1 Limits that is unlocked after Dice. He has no Lv.4 Limit, but still has a sidequest like the other characters except he gets an item that is used to make his ultimate weapon instead. Sorry for the confusion.

What pity :P. Thanks for the answer.

Btw having alot fun with the sidequest and optional bosses. I was AM very impressed with them.
« Last Edit: 2019-08-21 18:07:22 by vegetamaker »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8448 on: 2019-08-23 08:23:33 »
Wow, I'm like 100% certain I picked that up. Even 10 years going by wasn't enough to keep me from looking for it haha. I must have glitched it out or something. Oh well, small price to pay in the end. That reminds me, I did have a odd moment where I was messing with materia swaps and caused 1 materia to converge the information of 2 and leave 1 blank then I reloaded to be safe. That was probably a game bug or something.

Very interesting if that text wasn't you haha. Yes, I did check a PSX video on YouTube to reference the "original" dialogue.

That sounds like a very interesting glitch; reminds me of the materia fusion system on crisis core.

Oh, I did add the text you posted; I was just talking in general.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8449 on: 2019-08-23 11:38:05 »
Added a patreon page link to the front of the thread for people like cc12138030 who want to donate but not through Paypal. I can use the post feature it has to put update information in there from now on so it doesn't get buried like it does in this thread. Will post that information here as well though.