Author Topic: FF8 changing speaker config  (Read 2731 times)

Zack

• View Profile
FF8 changing speaker config
« on: 2005-12-05 19:43:04 »
Basically I have FF8 installed and its working perfectly.

My speaker configuration in windows/nvidia nvmixer set to 4 speaker mode. My problem is that whenever I run FF8 it resets my windows speaker config to a 2 speaker system. So whenever I quit the game I have to manually change it back to the 4 speaker config.

I am using the FF8 1.2 Patch for Non-GeForce Users and have also tried changing the sound settings in the configuration program. (I have checked/unchecked eax support, changed sound driver and directmusic port options)

Has anyone found a solution or suffer from this problem?

My system specs are:
AMD Athlon XP 2200+
1GB RAM
Abit NF7-M Nforce2 motherboard (using integrated sound)
ATI 9800pro AIW
Windows XP pro (sp2)

cloud9

• View Profile
Re: FF8 changing speaker config
« Reply #1 on: 2009-12-01 17:54:17 »
i have the same problem to... i guess the problem is on the onboard sound card.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
Re: FF8 changing speaker config
« Reply #2 on: 2009-12-01 20:19:17 »
The best way i found to get around this are to use outboard sound processing. I have an nforce board as well, and it outputs 5.1 coax to my logitech Z system. the logitech reciever then decodes it into 5.1. It works really well for turning stereo sources into 5.1.

When running in 4 speaker mode, your basically duplicating the front channels onto the rears, so it's not true surround sound(but it is quadraphonic). I recall using apps in the past that could force the hardware to output this instead of basic 2-channel stereo. I have an Asus A7N8X-e, so we have almost  the same mobo(5 years old!). You actually have all the same hardware i did about 2 years ago.

how are your speakers plugged into your computer? Are you using basic 3.5mm jacks, or are you using the coax outputs? Usually, the 3.5mm jacks are dependant on whatever the source material is comprised of, espically in the case of games. I know there are apps out there that can "expand" it into more channels, but i don't remember the names.

Lee