Author Topic: [PC] kernel2 compressor - FF7's kernel2 compressor using black magic  (Read 7902 times)

myst6re

• Light King of the Savegame - Field Master - FF8.fr
    • View Profile
    • FF8.fr
When we worked on the french retranslation project, we were annoyed about the kernel2 size limitation. After I detroyed the file format with a hammer, every texts have been inserted successfully in the file.

What I share you today is a stand-alone program that reproduce my magical compression. The file is always readable by the game after changes (except if you exceed size limitation), but few kernel editors may have troubles after that.

Download link: https://github.com/myst6re/kernel2_compressor/releases

Note: there is a console version in addition to the GUI version, let me know if you have a trouble to use it.
« Last Edit: 2018-04-24 18:11:29 by Covarr »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
You're a beast.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
How does it work? I looked at the source for a few minutes, but couldn't spend a lot of time analyzing. It's still using LZS style, surely, but what makes it smaller?

myst6re

• Light King of the Savegame - Field Master - FF8.fr
    • View Profile
    • FF8.fr
I though "black magic" was a good explanation ::)

On each section of the file, there are common texts, like "Potion", I merge this kind of text by changing the list of text positions. If possible, I merge common suffixes. Two text positions can point to the same text, on in the same text. The list of positions can be reordered, that's why few editors cannot open the resulting file.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
That's beautiful! I see why you labeled it "aggressive" :) WallMarket should be able to read it, but definitely won't rebuild it in that way.

PS - "Magic" is just a science that hasn't been published. :)

Kranmer

• View Profile
Nice work :), Avast is detecting it as a virus (false detection I'm guessing) so I had to add a exclusion to get it to download, but thanks for the program :)

EDIT:- just built it myself with QT5.7.0 and avast didn't detect it as a virus, so i checked the differences and saw your EXE has been UPXed, after unUPXing it avast no longer finds it as a virus.
« Last Edit: 2016-06-27 14:40:13 by Kranmer »

Chrysalis

• ESUI Developer
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
excellent, thanks.

I had improved weapon, armour descriptions so they show what hidden stat boosts are and also added descriptions to ultimate weapons for how damage calculated and this took me over the limit, but your tool fixes it. :)