Author Topic: Cannot get past naming character screen  (Read 2148 times)

Weezay4101

• View Profile
Cannot get past naming character screen
« on: 2019-01-20 21:31:41 »
Hello everyone, 7th Heaven is really awesome but I ran into a problem. I just bought the Steam version of the game yesterday and after I patch the game to the 1998 version, I am unable to get past the screen where I have to name Cloud for the first time (right after the intro scene and first fight).

None of the directional keys work in character naming screen. To enter a letter, I am only able to press the corresponding key on my keyboard (press x to input x). But the main problem is that I am unable to move the pointer to where 'select' is in order to continue playing.

I am playing on a laptop without a keypad and selected 'YES' when prompted during the patch conversion. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Other than this problem, it seems as if my mods are working so far.

LordUrQuan

• Alpha testing your worst nightmares
  • LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot get past naming character screen
« Reply #1 on: 2019-01-21 15:40:21 »
Not sure if it's 1-to-1 the same problem I had, but when using a Win98SE virtual machine to play FF7 on a laptop, the keyboard controls would revert back to their installation defaults *ONLY* on character naming screens.  In order to proceed, I had to hold down the Fn button to make the keyboard operate on the keypad-ish secondary meanings, name the characters, and I'd be back to my customized controls.

Weezay4101

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2019-01-22 21:34:09 »
Hey, thank you! I'm using the Steam version on Windows 10 but the problem is exactly the same. I wasn't able to use the function keys but I did find a bluetooth keypad and that actually worked. Thanks again.

Davpe357

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2019-02-10 15:56:35 »
I had the same problem but when I pressed Esc and Enter while in the naming character screen I got pass it.