Author Topic: Team Avalanche Main Cast Project  (Read 74955 times)

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
Re: Team Avalanche Main Cast Project
« Reply #125 on: 2010-04-25 14:16:22 »
I'm 99.9% certain it's not possible to take bits of one game and use them to replace bits of others. It would require the original source code of the game, and some very good programming knowledge to even be able to begin to understand how that'd work. (Talk to the QGears team about stuff like this)
Besides, I'm pretty sure FF8 field models actually don't use total mesh deformation anyway. In some parts of the game, it's more obvious that they've used model pieces than in other parts of the game - It's hard to tell really.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 2010-04-25 14:54:54 »
Discussion of this chibi business and its values can be continued elsewhere. This thread'd purpose is to follow the production of the main character models for Team Avalanche.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 2010-04-25 17:12:05 »
Would it be possible to port FF8 field animation system? I mean the field models from there are like the battle models.
The issue here isn't the system. The FF7 system would work just fine for identically-proportioned models.

The issue is that either way, it would require all-new animations in order to get even remotely decent results.

Satoh

• Assuming this statement is correct, I'm alive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 2010-05-01 21:50:55 »
Would it be possible to port FF8 field animation system? I mean the field models from there are like the battle models.

Not only what Covarr said, but FFVIII's battle and field models are vastly different in terms of detail. They are far from, as one might believe, identical. They don't even contain the same number of bones in FFVIII.

There's really not much separating the FFVII and FFVIII engines technically. One could be used to remake the other with few workarounds.

I just felt I should point that out.

ae2011

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 2010-06-27 21:57:05 »
How are the cast models coming along? (primarily Vincent)

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: 2010-06-28 06:31:05 »
Afaik they are being done by appearing order, so next would be Tifa/Aeris.

ryanphlp2002

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 2010-06-28 09:15:18 »
Another vote here against the chibi models - having had FF7 on the ps since it came out the only graphical things I always hated were the chibis, especially in those awful chibi fmvs! you know the ones of cloud jumping on the train, his fall on the second bombing mission and, the worst of all as regards turning a tense situation into peals of laughter - Tifa running with Cloud in the wheelchair! HoweverI don't know if its possible to do anything about those fmvs, I imagine not?

nikfrozty

• Cloud kicks Sephiroth's Butt Anytime
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: 2010-06-28 12:22:05 »
Another vote here against the chibi models - having had FF7 on the ps since it came out the only graphical things I always hated were the chibis, especially in those awful chibi fmvs! you know the ones of cloud jumping on the train, his fall on the second bombing mission and, the worst of all as regards turning a tense situation into peals of laughter - Tifa running with Cloud in the wheelchair! HoweverI don't know if its possible to do anything about those fmvs, I imagine not?
There can be some things edited but isn't actually the same as Cloud jumping on the train but it will look like it. Tried it once but my video sucked I needed to ban it forever from my computer.

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #133 on: 2010-06-28 15:19:36 »

Whatever amount of votes we get against the chibi style characters, they're staying. you might be thinking that it's just a difference in taste - but it's really not.

Firstly, take a look at the main aims of Team Avalanche, if they're up anywhere. We're sticking the the original design, with artistic license, so that we preserve the original feel of the game.
Second of all, the animations and skeletons of the field models were created with the chibi models in mind. Putting 'properly' proportioned models in place of these therefore creates (imo) some quite ugly results.
Thirdly, a few people including myself have already begun (and in my case, almost finished) work on chibi styled models.

Of course, the FMV's that included that Chibi style models were rendered quite badly by square originally, and I agree that they look horrible. But thanks to the power of up-to-date software ,more powerful hardware and sketchup photomatch, it will be possible to recreate new and improved FMV's to the tune of the originals (with more detailed models and animation techniques) at some point in time.
Whether it will be done in our lifetimes or not is an entirely different story which depends on the interest and time of the artists and modders we have here.

[/ratherlongandunnecessaryspeech]
« Last Edit: 2010-06-28 17:44:14 by NCS »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: 2010-06-28 15:21:01 »
It is the same as I have been saying.  YOU GET A CHOICE to install it.   ;D

ryanphlp2002

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: 2010-06-28 15:49:55 »
Ah well, if you get a choice to skip the install of the chibi models then everything is fine!  I respect the integrity of Team Avalanches project and was not suggesting you do anything else, if changing the main & NPC characters is optional, then of course anyone who wants can simply convert your excellent battle models to field if they want.  Overall I think your work here is amazing and I do appreciate your aims, I'm not a fan of the advent children models around elsewhere but I am a huge fan your work here on the battle models.

Tsetra

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 2010-07-07 19:47:54 »
Relax about the chibis. Once everything is done, it wouldn't take much effort to convert battle models over to field models, even if you just had to do it personally due to release issues. That's probably the easiest modeling task one can do with FF7.

cloud valentine

« Reply #137 on: 2010-07-23 14:06:46 »
what's happening on this project by the way?

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 2010-07-23 14:19:49 »
It is on hold right now.

Clodus

• Just a lowly fan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 2010-07-23 14:38:05 »
I take it after the bombing mission is done that's when these models are going to be set into motion, correct?

Millenia

• wireframe
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #140 on: 2010-07-23 14:47:14 »
Nah, we'll keep working on segments of the game I believe

Overseer X

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 2010-09-12 02:56:15 »
Hello again TA!
That Vincent model is going to look perfect once textured!
As for the Red XIII model.. I like it but I think the texture could be better. NO KINGDOM HEARTS STYLE!
K.H. IS LAME!  :P You should have a darker orange that goes into a lighter orange like the concept art.

I would love to see the tribal markings on his face, the tattoos, the feathers retextured to the same color as the concept art and the markings on the each of the arm and leg bands. I did not see the other side of XIII's face to see if there was a scar but I would love to see that as well :P
Keep up the excellent work Team Avalance!  :lol:

~Overseer X

Edit - Regarding the chibi models I think you guys are making the right choice.
Because unless you are replacing every field model and almost every FMV with tall models it will look strange.
After trying out that remix patch.. it was really disappointing. It did not flow well with the game at all.
Though I do like the idea of replacing certain FMVs with high quality ones from either Crisis Core or Advent Children.
« Last Edit: 2010-09-12 03:16:39 by Overseer X »

MrScentless

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: 2011-06-14 19:41:46 »
K vinnie is all nice n split, gonna try n figure out maya uvs soon.

Wow absolutely wicked work!

Are you done texturing Vincent or have you been focusing on something else?

Don't bump ancient topics just to say "cool". Also, try to avoid quoting images. Just a friendly caution - Bosola
« Last Edit: 2011-06-14 21:34:14 by Bosola »

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: 2011-06-14 23:11:35 »
Vincent is at the stage you see above. No UVs, no textures. I go to two schools, and have two jobs so I don't have all that much time for ff7 stuff of late.

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: 2011-06-15 12:04:45 »
Sucks  :-(. Would be awesome to have Vincent (in fact all cast) done, since we hang around with them all the time.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: 2011-06-15 13:21:52 »
Good things come to those who wait.