Author Topic: Model Enhancement/Reconstruction [FFVIII]  (Read 12022 times)

Trigr2006

• View Profile
Model Enhancement/Reconstruction [FFVIII]
« on: 2008-06-22 02:51:54 »
I've been taking a look through this forum and I've seen a lot about Reconstructing Final Fantasy VII, there's been avatar mods, model reconstructing, NPC Reconstructing, higher resolution mods etc, which is amazing. Would it be possible to do the same with Final Fantasy 8, because well personally some of the models definitely need to be upgraded.

Even if someone can point me in the right direction to extracting the models from Final Fantasy VIII, I'll be willing to see what I can do to enhance the objects. I've been using 3D Studio Max for 4 Years. I have a mate who is excellent at Adobe Photoshop and he'd be willing to create textures for any enhancement that needs to be done.

I know it'd be hard but I have seen the Final Fantasy VIII model Viewer, which is one step closer to being able to edit them.

btw nice forum :mrgreen:

Trigr

auxili160

• View Profile
Re: Model Enhancement/Reconstruction [FFVIII]
« Reply #1 on: 2008-06-22 02:54:23 »
I think ff8 looks great, but what needs work is the HORRIBLE animations. God, you can't look at someone move their arm without their entire body flinching weirdly. :P

Trigr2006

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008-06-22 03:08:05 »
I think ff8 looks great, but what needs work is the HORRIBLE animations. God, you can't look at someone move their arm without their entire body flinching weirdly. :P
Haha yeah I know.

The models are well done I must admit, but just fixing up some bad texturing and some low level modeling would be good.
Like the Balamb garden ship etc, it looks real bad, and some of towns out in the field, are very low res both in models and textures.

The game is awesome however now that I have finished it a few times, I'd like to just muck around and try and enhance it.

Alkor

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008-06-22 08:56:31 »
Trigr2006  wow 4 years - great :-P
I wish to mod FF8 too caze it's FF that i start to play FF.
OK what i do. I Can extract models of: main chars and monsters. They can mod to open it in 3D Max, BUT it can't write it to game :cry: If i have friends programmers maybe they can help us :-P

PS Sry for my eng, me rus :roll:

Trigr2006

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008-06-22 11:59:34 »
Trigr2006  wow 4 years - great :-P
I wish to mod FF8 too caze it's FF that i start to play FF.
OK what i do. I Can extract models of: main chars and monsters. They can mod to open it in 3D Max, BUT it can't write it to game :cry: If i have friends programmers maybe they can help us :-P

PS Sry for my eng, me rus :roll:
Hehe yeah no worries buddy,

it'd be almost the same procedure as the NPC Reconstruction Kit designed for final fantasy VII

btw check this site out for some good tools.
http://sylphds.net/f2k3/index.html

Alkor

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008-06-22 12:35:32 »
Hm...i don't think that it'll be same caze FF7 and FF8 have different formats.
Ok then, what can I help ?

Trigr2006

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008-06-22 14:38:57 »
Hm...i don't think that it'll be same caze FF7 and FF8 have different formats.
Ok then, what can I help ?
What I need is a tool or a procedure that will enable me to pull/export the 3D models from Final Fantasy VIII
Then I need a way to be able to import the models into 3D Studio Max
~After the altering~
Export the new enhanced models
Import the models into the game data.

Alkor

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008-06-22 14:59:17 »
Oh k.

1) Download: _http://rapidshare.com/files/124242233/FF8_Edit.7z.html
2) unrar it all
Then
1) Open Garden. Open - Decompile data files - name it. Then wait. When it stop go to:
"ur folder with Garden"\ff8\data\eng\FIELD\model\main_chr

There will be files such us .mch this is battle and field models of main chars.

U can open it with Biturn.

Then if u wanna to redact monsters\boss etc.
Open 8_FF8AC.exe. load archive and go to ur FF8 folder\data\ and open battle.fi Then select all "c0m..." files and extract them. Then with Biturn or CharEdit u can open .dat files.
Some PS.
PS Biturn can open .dat BUT some of them don't open or open but u need wait tooooooooooooooooooooo long.
PSS It better to open it in CharEdit. But i have problems with hands and sometimes with head :roll:

Ok if some qest write here :lol:
pSSS Sry for my eng. Me rus :-D

Edit:
If someone can port this model to FF8 I'll be soo happy :roll:

This model from KH2 :wink:
« Last Edit: 2008-06-22 15:24:33 by Alkor »

Marc

• I hear Voices ... in my head
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008-06-22 21:08:37 »
I know Disney is pretty brutal with its IP.  I wouldn't post a mod based off KH/KH2 if I were you.

*:.Griever.:*

• Formerly Tidus_Lionheart
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008-06-22 21:10:14 »
Yeah, just make it yourself, unless you want a C & D, or worse from Disney.

If you can that is, I don't know how difficult it will be to put models into FF8, I've never seen anyone do it.

squallff8

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008-06-22 22:55:24 »
Do you really think that Disney/Square watching over all Final Fanatsy FAN forums? :?

2Alkor
Так ты что русский??)

Otokoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008-06-23 02:35:12 »
Quote from: squallff8
Do you really think that Disney/Square watching over all Final Fanatsy FAN forums?

I guess you haven't been around this forum for too long.  How long has Eidos linked to this forum for the chocobo patch? The administrator of the forum has also specifically asked that this very behavior not be done, because he would be the one receiving any notifications from whatever IP someone is stealing.

apz freak

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008-06-23 05:18:53 »
Changing models from FFVIII wold probably be a bit more difficult. Those characters have bone IK and model rigging, meaning it's one solid piece the bends to the bone structure. You'd have to make sure every bone is properly skinned, I'm not sure anybody has reversed programmed that far yet. And if you did, you'd have to have a lot of knowledge about character rigging to get it running.

FFVII works because it's just individual pieces chopped up that rotate along a bone, as opposed to a skinned and rigged working model. Two different animals!

But not to discourage anyone, if anyones willing to step that far, all power to you! I'm just letting you know it wouldn't be a small feat! (Unless you're properly schooled)

Alkor

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008-06-23 07:58:31 »
squallff8 Ясень пень :-D

Trigr2006

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008-06-23 11:14:47 »
Changing models from FFVIII wold probably be a bit more difficult. Those characters have bone IK and model rigging, meaning it's one solid piece the bends to the bone structure. You'd have to make sure every bone is properly skinned, I'm not sure anybody has reversed programmed that far yet. And if you did, you'd have to have a lot of knowledge about character rigging to get it running.

FFVII works because it's just individual pieces chopped up that rotate along a bone, as opposed to a skinned and rigged working model. Two different animals!

But not to discourage anyone, if anyones willing to step that far, all power to you! I'm just letting you know it wouldn't be a small feat! (Unless you're properly schooled)

Skinning, is quite easy, done a lot of 3D design using IK bones aswell, i'd have to have a proper look at the model structure to determine whether it's bad to work with or not.

I could however re texture the existing models and even enhance the simpler models such as Balamb Garden Ship etc. Simple Objects are always easier to work with.

jakeslogan

« Reply #15 on: 2008-06-23 15:25:32 »
Well, If I ain't wrong there are 2 kind of model of the main chars in FF8 right? 1 is smooth and the other look boxy. So is there anyway to replace the boxy with the smooth one??? For Ex, what should I do to replace boxy Squall with the smooth Squall(Smooth Squall can be found in Dormitory, his own room, and some scenes. Boxy Squall appears most of the places). If this can be done, the game will looks much better.

janys

« Reply #16 on: 2008-06-25 10:06:13 »
I was working on a Max Payne 2 modification "The Hell Unchained" few years ago. I believe there are still some 3D Studio Max skills remaining... sooo I guess I could maybe help :3 Apart from that I'm a digital artist (Photoshop) meaning I could prepare new textures'n'stuff...