Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Replacement FMVs, footage from AC/CC (2017-2-18)  (Read 234949 times)

Grimmy

• Join in my tarnished light.
    • View Profile
    • GrimmyGames
Replacement FMVs for FFVII
« Reply #350 on: 2010-05-21 00:16:25 »
I used flash to edit my vids, but would suggest any new people to use adobe premiere. As far as freeware I use vdub but it's not all that good.

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: 2010-05-21 00:53:58 »
So is it possible to get 720p or higher video resolution in the game?

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #352 on: 2010-05-21 02:06:48 »
Theoretically

Timber

• View Profile
« Reply #353 on: 2010-05-21 04:36:44 »

Well 720P is widescreen aspect, and FF7 isn't, so it wouldn't look right.
But yes, you can have high res videos.

nikfrozty

• Cloud kicks Sephiroth's Butt Anytime
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: 2010-05-21 07:40:45 »
I used flash to edit my vids, but would suggest any new people to use adobe premiere. As far as freeware I use vdub but it's not all that good.
Flash?? I bet that's hard to use. But I'll try it. Thanks for the info. :)

Tsetra

• View Profile
« Reply #355 on: 2010-05-21 14:48:15 »
The FF7 field script sets a number of frames to count and soon after calls the movie. Once the frame count is up, the script resumes when the movie is expected to stop. If the frames exceed or fall short of this frame count as called on by the field script, then you experience oddities. Aali can possibly come up with some wizardry to bypass it, but one solution would be to bundle the FMVs with different frame rates alongside field files to insert that have been modified to accommodate them. This can be done in Meteor and fortunately is none too difficult, however the downside is that modifying the field files will make them incompatible with any other mods which alter them. On the other hand, you can always make compatibility patches down the road so it's not too big of a downside.

As an example of the potential for this, a project I was working on before I got tired of Meteor's slowness was to completely modify the beginning cutscene. I had a 30 fps video with the PS3 tech demo train rolling into the station, a prerecorded video of the guards being taken out and Barret waving to Cloud added onto the end of that, and finally the PS3 tech demo Cloud jumping off the train and landing. Field script was modified to start actual game events already on the ground with the prior events already wrapped up.

There are ways around everything.

nikfrozty

• Cloud kicks Sephiroth's Butt Anytime
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: 2010-05-23 12:49:19 »
The FF7 field script sets a number of frames to count and soon after calls the movie. Once the frame count is up, the script resumes when the movie is expected to stop. If the frames exceed or fall short of this frame count as called on by the field script, then you experience oddities. Aali can possibly come up with some wizardry to bypass it, but one solution would be to bundle the FMVs with different frame rates alongside field files to insert that have been modified to accommodate them. This can be done in Meteor and fortunately is none too difficult, however the downside is that modifying the field files will make them incompatible with any other mods which alter them. On the other hand, you can always make compatibility patches down the road so it's not too big of a downside.

As an example of the potential for this, a project I was working on before I got tired of Meteor's slowness was to completely modify the beginning cutscene. I had a 30 fps video with the PS3 tech demo train rolling into the station, a prerecorded video of the guards being taken out and Barret waving to Cloud added onto the end of that, and finally the PS3 tech demo Cloud jumping off the train and landing. Field script was modified to start actual game events already on the ground with the prior events already wrapped up.

There are ways around everything.
So that means you have actually done that?? Would you mind uploading or posting a video of what you've done so that we could see what you've done?? If what you say is possible then that'll be epic!! ;D

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: 2010-06-05 01:51:53 »
The videos will only play if they are 15 FPS, right?

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #358 on: 2010-06-05 02:00:48 »
No not necessarily.  If you keep them a low resolution you can get higher FPS out of them.   Somewhere around here Kranmer re-encoded a high-res video I made using a different codec and lower resolution and got it to play at 23fps I think.

Tsetra

• View Profile
« Reply #359 on: 2010-06-05 02:06:41 »
No, they can exceed that.

nikfrozty,
I'll see if I can upload what I've got when I have the time and motivation to do so, but it's definitely possible (not theoretically, anyone here can do it) and the opcode information relevant to this can be found readily on the Qhimm wiki. Otokoshi should be familiar with this as well. Off the top of my head, you're dealing with these:

http://wiki.qhimm.com/FF7/Field/Script/Opcodes/F8_PMVIE
http://wiki.qhimm.com/FF7/Field/Script/Opcodes/FA_MVIEF
http://wiki.qhimm.com/FF7/Field/Script/Opcodes/F9_MOVIE

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: 2010-06-05 02:07:31 »
No not necessarily.  If you keep them a low resolution you can get higher FPS out of them.   Somewhere around here Kranmer re-encoded a high-res video I made using a different codec and lower resolution and got it to play at 23fps I think.

I'm trying to make a 720p video. I have it in AVI but when I put it in my movies folder and start a new game, it's just black. I hear the sounds of Jessie and Biggs beating up the guards and then I see Barret's text.

Is it because my resolution is too high? Is it because my FPS is too high? I have is at 30 FPS and can't for the life of me find a way to edit the FPS. Is there a way to change it in Sony Vegas Pro?

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #361 on: 2010-06-05 02:11:52 »
Read around.  Kranmer did a lot of experimenting to get them to work, you'll likely have to do the same.  At least until the custom driver can better support them.

Aali

• View Profile
Re: Replacement FMVs for FFVII
« Reply #362 on: 2010-06-10 22:01:46 »
The custom driver already does some wizardry to support higher FPS videos. However, it is not always up to the movie player to limit the framerate, sometimes FF7 just doesn't request new frames often enough. This could possibly be fixed but it would take a lot of time and it's not a priority right now.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #363 on: 2010-06-11 02:21:30 »
Yeah I think I remember my NIVLSFS video playing just fine in 1280x896 at 15 fps.  23.96 looks so much better though.   This project is probably best left for a later date in time.

Furzball

• Furzball happens...
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: 2010-06-11 02:27:05 »
Yeah I think I remember my NIVLSFS video playing just fine in 1280x896 at 15 fps.  23.96 looks so much better though.   This project is probably best left for a later date in time.
Probably once the new engine comes in.

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: 2010-06-11 21:12:13 »

I've gotten the opening video to run at that resolution with 29 FPS.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #366 on: 2010-06-12 03:30:41 »
Using h.264??

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: 2010-06-12 06:40:36 »
Using h.264??

Well I can't get Aali's driver v0.7.7b to work so no. It's using MPEG. I'm pretty sure if I could get the most recent driver to work I could make it a little bit higher quality.

Jaki

• View Profile
« Reply #368 on: 2011-05-26 17:34:58 »
« Last Edit: 2014-06-19 13:33:19 by Jaki »

Kίпg Ģµяµ

• Now in HD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: 2011-05-26 19:28:30 »
You should PM Grimmy instead of bumping old topics. I know for sure he's still around

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #370 on: 2012-02-19 13:23:20 »
Is there a way to skip sqlogo.avi without skipping credits so as to directly watch credits. I use new_prelude mod with Sephiroth Cloud backgroung and I was also wondering if there's any way to load the little pictures with the names at the same time. I used the cr png file, deleted the background pngs so now it loads the names without the pictures. Thanks for any help provided!

Grimmy

• Join in my tarnished light.
    • View Profile
    • GrimmyGames
« Reply #371 on: 2012-02-19 23:47:30 »
I've been planning to redo my older mods like that one to use higher resolution images in modpath. After doing that it would make it easy for you to mix and match it with the other modpath prelude so you could have pics and names.

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #372 on: 2012-02-20 12:47:22 »
I've been planning to redo my older mods like that one to use higher resolution images in modpath. After doing that it would make it easy for you to mix and match it with the other modpath prelude so you could have pics and names.

Thank you so much! That would be great!

PH03N1XFURY

• Team Tianix IF ITS THERE WE'LL FIND IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: 2012-04-04 23:58:38 »
im currently reworking the videos that grimmy uploaded not that there was anything wrong with them as i thought they were ace but i have added some effects and sounds to make them look a bit more realistic as some of them didnt have sound or was annoying like sephiroth burning nibelheim the sound is terrible taken from the original vid so have changed that and ive done the aerith funeral video to will upload to mediafire for any1 who wants them

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #374 on: 2012-04-05 00:27:54 »
im currently reworking the videos that grimmy uploaded not that there was anything wrong with them as i thought they were ace but i have added some effects and sounds to make them look a bit more realistic as some of them didnt have sound or was annoying like sephiroth burning nibelheim the sound is terrible taken from the original vid so have changed that and ive done the aerith funeral video to will upload to mediafire for any1 who wants them

Cool!