Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] gjoerulv's "Hardcore" mod (v1.0.7.2)  (Read 1079480 times)

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
gjoerulv's "Hardcore" mod
« Reply #200 on: 2008-06-30 18:00:26 »
I'd like to know how to do some of that too to the PSX version. There are materia edits and everything.

How in the heck do you create extra battles? I so confused....

EDIT: He's added shinra MP's to the aid of sephiroth and Cloud during the flashback. The confusion deepens...
« Last Edit: 2008-06-30 18:03:06 by Prince Lex »

Marc

• I hear Voices ... in my head
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: 2008-06-30 20:16:40 »
Modifying the psx version is for all intents and purposes impossible due to the fact that it doesn't read file like a pc might but as hardcoded into it each CD sector.  If you change a file on the PSX CD (thus changing its size) the sectors are going to be different and the game is going to crash.  That's what I've learned from the more technically minded people on these boards.

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: 2008-06-30 22:44:45 »
I've also learned that, which is why I want to know how this guy did it, whoever he is...

Marc

• I hear Voices ... in my head
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: 2008-07-01 13:24:29 »
That's the PC version.

He says so himself.

Tyler_Wu

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: 2008-07-20 18:44:37 »
Hey gjoerulv, sounds like you have really made something special. My main reason for the long post is, I want you to read it and think about what I have said compared to the changes you have made and haven't made in your mod. I am hoping my opinion and suggestions could help inspire you to make your awesome mod even better. Everything I say here is my opinion and suggestions for vanilla ff7, it's to give you things to think about, on whether or not your mod is different enough in certain respects. Obviously I respect all your decisions and I know your mod is mainly made for you and your enjoyment BUT I wanted to share my thoughts and hopefully help you to make your mod even better, I don't expect you to listen to everything I have to say, just think about it and compare what I have said about vanilla ff7 to how your mod is in it's current form.

I'd also like to hear what ARMS/SD666 has to say about my comments.

One huge thing that made ff7 much less enjoyable than it could have been was the incredible lack of difficulty in 90+ percent of the game. I know in your mod you have increased difficulty quite a bit (especially in version 2) so that's great!

Some problems in vanilla ff7 I think were:

-Many of the players attacks were overpowered, all magic attacks were overpowered for the majority of the game. Some level 3 limit breaks and most level 4 limit breaks were overpowered. KOTR is obviously just ridiculously overpowered. All death,death sentence, etc type attacks should be removed because they are cheap. The game was already too easy even without barrier, mbarrier, wall, big guard, haste, white wind, angel whisper, pretty much all summons and most offensive attack magic. So I hope things are more balanced in your mod.

- Most enemies were a joke even if you played a no materia game, just use attack and limit breaks and have some xpotions and your set. A few bosses and enemies that I think really needed a buff are, diamond weapon, Guard Scorpion, Aps,  reno/rude in gongaga, palmer,  reno and rude in the gelninka but they are glitched I think,  rude when your at rocket town, proud clod, jenova synthesis,  dark dragon in north crater, movers,  ALL wolf/dog type enemies, doorbull, king behemoth, grangalan,  pretty much ALL shinra soldiers including the ones with guns  with one exception 1rst class soldiers, manhole,   Thats all I can think of that were extremely underpowered... although I do almost every enemy in the game should be buffed.

- Magic pots and movers.  I think they should be removed or drastically changed. I hate how these monsters work. No challenge what soever, you just give the pots an elixer and the movers you just attack once and boom! Instant tons of xp and ap. I personally think you have have a tough challenge almost like a boss fight for such high rewards.

Some ideas I have to make ff7 better:

-Iron man.  What would you think about putting these guys somewhere else in the game as well? I love these guys, I think they should be buffed a bit and then added to another area of north crater that you can turn back from, because right now these guys are right before Jenova and you can't go back after fighting any of them... no fun in that.

-One big thing that I really have no idea about, if you, gjoerulv changed in your mod or if any other modders like saintdragon666 have done but would really like to see is bigger stat changes when you equip materia. Maybe  triple all the positive AND negative stat changes on materia like for example most basic green materia takes away some strength but adds some mdefense and magic, maybe increase those values and IF POSSIBLE change all materia that affects mdefense to make it change spirit instead, because as we all know magic defense does nothing.

- Is it possible to add items or chests on the ground? I think it would be neat to add lots of little secrets like how in ff5 or 6 i forget which maybe even both had elixers hidden in clocks. Maybe you could add a few items or weapons or whatever is various places in the game. For example there are a few unused completely useless spots where there is nothing to do like in bugenhagens home, you can climb up to the top and run around, even go hide behind the big metal dome thingy, you could add an item or two up there.

- Make armor have a bit more variety. Maybe change a few more armors to have more special things about them, rather than ONLY changing one thing like it has double ap growth, maybe make it so it has double ap growth but minus 10% hp,  or triple ap growth but minus 90% experience, etc. I think it would be a great idea to change many armors and accessories and weapons so that some of their positive affects might be higher but they also have a negative attribute to them, like the curse ring! I think it would be awesome if their was a little more end game equipment that was all about equal that way not every single character has the same armor or accessory. I think it would make the game much more interesting, all about choices and options, do I want to wear this sword that has plus 89 attack and minus 30 vitality? Or do I want to wear the sword with 60 attack and minus 10 to spirit?, or just a plain old sword with plus 55 to attack but no negative modifiers? You could also make more character class specific items, some are caster specific, some are warrior specific, some are for a jack of all trades character, I'm sure ya know what I mean. If you can't create new items then modify existing ones.

-In your version 2.0 could you make it so that some of the other patches out there are already installed into your mod? Like the ones that get rid of those blocky hands, give better resolution, smoother textures, better character models etc. That kinda thing. I'm sure the people who made those patches would let you if you asked.

- What would you think about weakening multi hit limit breaks like meteorain,omnislash,highwind etc.  They are so powerful that unless you have 4 times cut command materia your normal attack is so damn weak (compared to your limit break) that you might as well just not even bother attacking, just wait until your limit gauge is filled up and use a limit. 
 My problem is that for example omnislash does 15 hits of 9999 if your strength is high, thats about 150000,  thats like 15 freaken turns worth of normal attacks if you dont have double or quad cut. I think that no limit break should do more than 10 times the damage of the normal attack, its just too unbalanced.  I think that if your normal attack does 9999 then omnislash should only do about 100000 rather than the 150000 it does now. that way if you have quad cut and are doing 40000 dmg a turn with it then omnislash is about 2.5 times more powerful than that... which sounds about right in my opinion.  in vanilla ff7 it does around 4 times that much, rather than 2.5 like i suggested.  also meteorain could be nerfed slightly as well. now everything might be quite a bit different in your mod compared to vanilla, especially with that patch that lets you hit over 9999 but I wanted to give you something to think about.
« Last Edit: 2008-07-20 19:18:22 by Tyler_Wu »

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #205 on: 2008-07-20 22:18:06 »
Hey gjoerulv, sounds like you have really made something special. My main reason for the long post is, I want you to read it and think about what I have said compared to the changes you have made and haven't made in your mod. I am hoping my opinion and suggestions could help inspire you to make your awesome mod even better. Everything I say here is my opinion and suggestions for vanilla ff7, it's to give you things to think about, on whether or not your mod is different enough in certain respects. Obviously I respect all your decisions and I know your mod is mainly made for you and your enjoyment BUT I wanted to share my thoughts and hopefully help you to make your mod even better, I don't expect you to listen to everything I have to say, just think about it and compare what I have said about vanilla ff7 to how your mod is in it's current form.

I'd also like to hear what ARMS/SD666 has to say about my comments.

One huge thing that made ff7 much less enjoyable than it could have been was the incredible lack of difficulty in 90+ percent of the game. I know in your mod you have increased difficulty quite a bit (especially in version 2) so that's great!

wow man! Thanks for the interest. I'll try to answer you as good as I can. Actually I started to work on this today after ca 2-3 months of no work. The mod is nearly done. By that I mean ca 90%. But those 10% remaining are quite a bit for 1 person.

Some problems in vanilla ff7 I think were:

-Many of the players attacks were overpowered, all magic attacks were overpowered for the majority of the game. Some level 3 limit breaks and most level 4 limit breaks were overpowered. KOTR is obviously just ridiculously overpowered. All death,death sentence, etc type attacks should be removed because they are cheap. The game was already too easy even without barrier, mbarrier, wall, big guard, haste, white wind, angel whisper, pretty much all summons and most offensive attack magic. So I hope things are more balanced in your mod.

Magic attacks becomes overpowered early in the game. Few people know that weapons actually increase the character's magic power quite a lot. The stronger the weapon the more power too. If we remove this, not only does it help on the power level, but we might make more unique weapons as well. In my mod I've also weakened KOTR. But KOTR may also make the enemies peerless. To use it against regular enemies is a gamble, but works normally on the WEAPONs (they're immune to peerless). Master summon, magic and command are replaced with other spells. I currently don't know what to replace master summon with, but magic and command are replaced by remove and flash. Remove is removed (lol) from the Exit materia and flash is also removed from Slash-all materia. Big guard targets only one and costs more MP. White wind costs more MP as well, and only removes poison and darkness. Angel whisper doesn't remove any status. All summons can only be used once pr battle and some are modified as well.

- Most enemies were a joke even if you played a no materia game, just use attack and limit breaks and have some xpotions and your set. A few bosses and enemies that I think really needed a buff are, diamond weapon, Guard Scorpion, Aps,  reno/rude in gongaga, palmer,  reno and rude in the gelninka but they are glitched I think,  rude when your at rocket town, proud clod, jenova synthesis,  dark dragon in north crater, movers,  ALL wolf/dog type enemies, doorbull, king behemoth, grangalan,  pretty much ALL shinra soldiers including the ones with guns  with one exception 1rst class soldiers, manhole,   Thats all I can think of that were extremely underpowered... although I do almost every enemy in the game should be buffed.

- Magic pots and movers.  I think they should be removed or drastically changed. I hate how these monsters work. No challenge what soever, you just give the pots an elixer and the movers you just attack once and boom! Instant tons of xp and ap. I personally think you have have a tough challenge almost like a boss fight for such high rewards.

Trust me. Toward the end all enemies are badass! And imo to fight many hard fights can get tedious. Specially if you're leveling. I've increased exp and ap a bit. But decreased gil somewhat.

Some ideas I have to make ff7 better:

-Iron man.  What would you think about putting these guys somewhere else in the game as well? I love these guys, I think they should be buffed a bit and then added to another area of north crater that you can turn back from, because right now these guys are right before Jenova and you can't go back after fighting any of them... no fun in that.

Haven't thought of that. I may find a place on the continent for him.

-One big thing that I really have no idea about, if you, gjoerulv changed in your mod or if any other modders like saintdragon666 have done but would really like to see is bigger stat changes when you equip materia. Maybe  triple all the positive AND negative stat changes on materia like for example most basic green materia takes away some strength but adds some mdefense and magic, maybe increase those values and IF POSSIBLE change all materia that affects mdefense to make it change spirit instead, because as we all know magic defense does nothing.

Sorry to disappoint you but the only thing I can do is to switch what kind of effect the materia makes in general. It's only decided by 1 byte in the kernel, and that byte gives all the effects. 13 different kinds I believe.

- Is it possible to add items or chests on the ground? I think it would be neat to add lots of little secrets like how in ff5 or 6 i forget which maybe even both had elixers hidden in clocks. Maybe you could add a few items or weapons or whatever is various places in the game. For example there are a few unused completely useless spots where there is nothing to do like in bugenhagens home, you can climb up to the top and run around, even go hide behind the big metal dome thingy, you could add an item or two up there.

It's possible, but I don't think I'll go int that at this release. I've thought about adding some save points though. One before Aps and one in the ancient forest.

- Make armor have a bit more variety. Maybe change a few more armors to have more special things about them, rather than ONLY changing one thing like it has double ap growth, maybe make it so it has double ap growth but minus 10% hp,  or triple ap growth but minus 90% experience, etc. I think it would be a great idea to change many armors and accessories and weapons so that some of their positive affects might be higher but they also have a negative attribute to them, like the curse ring! I think it would be awesome if their was a little more end game equipment that was all about equal that way not every single character has the same armor or accessory. I think it would make the game much more interesting, all about choices and options, do I want to wear this sword that has plus 89 attack and minus 30 vitality? Or do I want to wear the sword with 60 attack and minus 10 to spirit?, or just a plain old sword with plus 55 to attack but no negative modifiers? You could also make more character class specific items, some are caster specific, some are warrior specific, some are for a jack of all trades character, I'm sure ya know what I mean. If you can't create new items then modify existing ones.

This is possible. Well, I don't remember if it is possible to subtract stats, but plenty of things are possible.

-In your version 2.0 could you make it so that some of the other patches out there are already installed into your mod? Like the ones that get rid of those blocky hands, give better resolution, smoother textures, better character models etc. That kinda thing. I'm sure the people who made those patches would let you if you asked.

I can make patches that goes along with others. I might even make a patch that has multiple patches in one. If the creators don't mind. But 1st I'll release my patch, and perhaps others can upload patches that works with mine. The files I work with are: scene.bin, kernel.bin, battle lgp and field.lgp. Only patches that alters one or more of these files will get a problem with mine. Some patches only alters the ff7.exe, and my mod will have no problems with those.

- What would you think about weakening multi hit limit breaks like meteorain,omnislash,highwind etc.  They are so powerful that unless you have 4 times cut command materia your normal attack is so damn weak (compared to your limit break) that you might as well just not even bother attacking, just wait until your limit gauge is filled up and use a limit. 
 My problem is that for example omnislash does 15 hits of 9999 if your strength is high, thats about 150000,  thats like 15 freaken turns worth of normal attacks if you dont have double or quad cut. I think that no limit break should do more than 10 times the damage of the normal attack, its just too unbalanced.  I think that if your normal attack does 9999 then omnislash should only do about 100000 rather than the 150000 it does now. that way if you have quad cut and are doing 40000 dmg a turn with it then omnislash is about 2.5 times more powerful than that... which sounds about right in my opinion.  in vanilla ff7 it does around 4 times that much, rather than 2.5 like i suggested.  also meteorain could be nerfed slightly as well. now everything might be quite a bit different in your mod compared to vanilla, especially with that patch that lets you hit over 9999 but I wanted to give you something to think about.

Good thing you mentioned the 9999 limit breaker patch. Use it with mine for best result. In my mod you need to lose twice as much HP as normal. You'll feel lucky each time you get a lvl 4 limit. Some of 'em are weakened (like omnislash) but the early ones stay untouched.

Tyler_Wu

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: 2008-07-21 01:28:01 »
"wow man! Thanks for the interest. I'll try to answer you as good as I can. Actually I started to work on this today after ca 2-3 months of no work. The mod is nearly done. By that I mean ca 90%. But those 10% remaining are quite a bit for 1 person."

I was really curious about this because I will have way, way more free time than usual from july 25th to august 8th.  I guess version 2.0 won't be out in time for that.  Too bad for me I guess lol.

"Magic attacks becomes overpowered early in the game. Few people know that weapons actually increase the character's magic power quite a lot. The stronger the weapon the more power too. If we remove this, not only does it help on the power level, but we might make more unique weapons as well. In my mod I've also weakened KOTR. But KOTR may also make the enemies peerless. To use it against regular enemies is a gamble, but works normally on the WEAPONs (they're immune to peerless). Master summon, magic and command are replaced with other spells. I currently don't know what to replace master summon with, but magic and command are replaced by remove and flash. Remove is removed (lol) from the Exit materia and flash is also removed from Slash-all materia. Big guard targets only one and costs more MP. White wind costs more MP as well, and only removes poison and darkness. Angel whisper doesn't remove any status. All summons can only be used once pr battle and some are modified as well."

That is really weird, I knew items like wizard bangle make your magic stat higher but I didn't know weapons had any affect on magic damage. Can you tell me what you mean by "peerless"? I have never heard that term used when talking about final fantasy 7 or any video game for that matter. You made it so all summons can only be used once per battle!?! Thats an awesome idea, i'm glad you included that. About replacing master summon... only idea i can think of is, replace master summon with a enemy skill materia THAT COMES WITH a few of the best enemy skills on it. doesnt really have anything to do with summoning, but its all i could think of.

"Trust me. Toward the end all enemies are badass! And imo to fight many hard fights can get tedious. Specially if you're leveling. I've increased exp and ap a bit. But decreased gil somewhat."

That's great to hear, but I hope that when you say towards the end game you arent talking about only the last 20% of the game. one thing i hate about vanilla ff7 is how there is no difficulty at all really UNTIL you get to the snow fields , gaea cliffs and all that. But from what i've gathered in your mod its all a challenge even in the start of disc 1, just the challenge really picks up a lot more once you get to disc 2 and beyond.

"Haven't thought of that. I may find a place on the continent for him."

I think many people would love that, like most people when they play through ff7 they only face one or maybe two battles with iron man involved, its a great enemy in my opinion and should be placed somewhere in the game where you can fight him multiple times if ya want... also that crazy undead dragon that uses pandoras box i think would be great to place in another extra area too but thats just my opinion.

"Sorry to disappoint you but the only thing I can do is to switch what kind of effect the materia makes in general. It's only decided by 1 byte in the kernel, and that byte gives all the effects. 13 different kinds I believe."

I know absolutely nothing about modding so I just suggest things and have no idea if they will work, just voicing my thoughts thats all.

"It's possible, but I don't think I'll go int that at this release. I've thought about adding some save points though. One before Aps and one in the ancient forest."

I don't think adding little random items and stuff around the game is a big deal, just a little suggestion.  About the save points though, I was thinking maybe a good place to add one would be somewhere in the GI CAVE, maybe right before you start encountering stingers, or maybe right after. What do you think?

"This is possible. Well, I don't remember if it is possible to subtract stats, but plenty of things are possible."

That whole thing i typed about changing armor and weapons and having negative stats and all that... in my opinion thats definitely one of the biggest, best, most interesting things you could do to make your mod better, and to stand out among other mods.

"I can make patches that goes along with others. I might even make a patch that has multiple patches in one. If the creators don't mind. But 1st I'll release my patch, and perhaps others can upload patches that works with mine. The files I work with are: scene.bin, kernel.bin, battle lgp and field.lgp. Only patches that alters one or more of these files will get a problem with mine. Some patches only alters the ff7.exe, and my mod will have no problems with those."

I think it would be a good idea, it would really be refreshing and add a little spark to the game if the character models werent all ugly and blocky and no handed etc etc.

"Good thing you mentioned the 9999 limit breaker patch. Use it with mine for best result. In my mod you need to lose twice as much HP as normal. You'll feel lucky each time you get a lvl 4 limit. Some of 'em are weakened (like omnislash) but the early ones stay untouched."

Wow i never thought of that, thats a great idea making it so that charging limit breaks needs twice as much hp as normal. sounds good!

Question for you!  have you done anything about enemy speed compared to players speed? seems to me like players always get more turns than monsters. Sorry if this has been answered before.
« Last Edit: 2008-07-21 07:59:42 by Tyler_Wu »

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #207 on: 2008-07-22 03:10:53 »
Yes I thought 'bout adding a save point in the gi cave too. And enemies speed is increased as well. I might get done within that time you mentioned, but I won't promise anything. It depends the time that's given to me he, he!

Tyler_Wu

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: 2008-07-22 04:14:43 »
I'll be crossing my fingers.

Sefurosu

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: 2008-07-22 18:35:52 »
Gjoerulv, when you mentioned that your patch modifies the battle.lgp and the field.lgp do you mean that it is impossible to use the NPC reconstruction patch without doing so under very weird circumstances? and also, will apz freak's high res buster sword patch work? thanks, and hope you get it finished soon.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #210 on: 2008-07-22 19:51:17 »
It might work. My patch alters the field script only. And in battle lgp I add models. I haven't modified any of the original ones. I shall test it out and let you know whe I'm done!

Sefurosu

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: 2008-07-23 00:18:08 »
cool, i think i can get it to work and if it does, maybe i could get permission to release it as one patch like you said above.

Tyler_Wu

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: 2008-07-23 04:42:17 »
gjoerulv your mod would probably go well with saints high resolution patch and the phoenix rejuvenation patch.

Right now I'm playing with "Hay's reasonable mod" and it's not hard enough. (Currently have to lower stats with an editor to make it a challenge) I'd rather play yours instead.
« Last Edit: 2008-07-26 05:27:45 by Tyler_Wu »

terrabrake

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: 2008-08-23 10:04:51 »
How your PROJECT is going? Take all the time you need, but still i can't wait for the release  :-D however try to make everything all right  8-) great job!

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #214 on: 2008-08-24 21:57:40 »

ADIDAS

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: 2008-08-25 14:06:54 »
sweet , I'm downloading :D

Sefurosu

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: 2008-08-25 19:16:59 »
From what I've played so far it is bad@$$. You rule!

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #217 on: 2008-08-26 07:54:51 »
sorry for that quote lol.

I updated the kerenl.bin again. Nothing much just tried to balance out the ultimate weapons some more. Download it in the op post.
« Last Edit: 2008-08-26 07:59:56 by gjoerulv »

ADIDAS

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: 2008-08-26 15:51:17 »
Can I use this mod and NPC patch at once? I used NPC and Sephiroth patches . When I tried to install this mod , it said the version of the file is unknown . So I guess not .

I've just fight some monsters and got complete annihilated  :-D

Archu

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: 2008-08-27 10:18:37 »
Awesome work so far, Gjoerulv.  8-)
The new mobs, especially one (the "growing" bug) after the Materia Keeper, nearly prevented me going to Rocket Town. Got killed about 10 times now xD

Temple of the Ancients had me worried, but it seemed that the Red Dragon was harder then the Demon Gate itself.
I just barely made it before the final blow  :-o

Right now i'm at Jenova BIRTH, and it's a major pain now that she spams her Blue Light/Flames alot more, and that some of her attacks aren't elemental-based.  :x

terrabrake

• View Profile
« Reply #220 on: 2008-08-28 18:41:30 »
Great!!! Downloading!  :-D

Tyler_Wu

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: 2008-08-29 02:54:20 »
gjoerulv's you have made me so incredibly happy now that i can play this. ive been going crazy trying to keep myself busy waiting, creating maps for heroes 3 complete and such. lol its good that my last map was finished last night. cuz i wont be spending much time on it now that i can play your mod!!!!

woohoo

ARMs

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: 2008-08-29 06:50:57 »
awsome man.  You finished the mod.   Now can someone make some vids of newly added stuff.  I dont have PC version but woudl liek to see what is added.

Tyler_Wu

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: 2008-09-03 03:22:50 »
Seems great so far. guard scorpion and air buster actually required multiple tries and some real strategy.

Thank you for putting a very new and refreshing spin on this game. I'm loving it so far,  I'm just about to climb up that wall to get to the shinra company headquarters or whatever its called.

Archu

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: 2008-09-03 17:58:57 »
I seem to encounter a bug when fighting Jenova DEATH.
Whenver she does Red Light, it confuses everyone.. but the screen continuously blinks red without stopping. 'N there's no way to continue the fight  =O

Could be just a coincidence. I'll try it with ribbons to prevent the confusion later.