Author Topic: [PSX/PC] KERNEL.BIN editor - WallMarket (v1.4.5)  (Read 703993 times)

burnloungaz

• www.burnloungaz.synthasite.com
    • View Profile
    • Burnloungaz's site
Wall Market, FFVII KERNEL.BIN editor
« Reply #200 on: 2008-12-15 15:01:54 »
when i edit the initial data with this program, the text is all messed up, all the text is on top of each other. how would i fix this?

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #201 on: 2008-12-15 15:39:48 »
when i edit the initial data with this program, the text is all messed up, all the text is on top of each other. how would i fix this?

If you're talking about the text in WM then your display DPI is too low. It should be 96 or higher.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: 2008-12-15 15:55:49 »
Just downloaded it; the formerly messed up materia slots on the initial data/character data screen look right now. So, how's the enemy attack editor going, and what exactly will it do?

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #203 on: 2008-12-15 16:20:43 »
Just downloaded it; the formerly messed up materia slots on the initial data/character data screen look right now. So, how's the enemy attack editor going, and what exactly will it do?

How's it coming? I haven't even started yet. :D It'll happen soon. Maybe the initial one by the end of the week. It'll contain a lot of what I like to call Copy Pasta.
It'll look exactly like the Attack Tab does right now except it to the left will be the enemy names and there will be a drop-down or SECOND list with attack names. Rebuilding the Scene.bin file is a little harder than the KERNEL.BIN because every block has to be 8K in size and it's all very strictly enforced. Not a big problem, just annoying. And I don't really like the name "Hojo-Market". I feel like I'm stealing all of Squall78's thunder with that. I'm sure I'll get over it. :)

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: 2008-12-15 16:24:45 »
Well, it's an attack editor; how about giving it a name like Scarlet or Heidegger?

Jeeper

« Reply #205 on: 2008-12-15 19:02:54 »
The most awesome Kernel-editor I've seen this far, I've only got one problem though, I can't compile the files into "Kernel.bin" again, and it doesn't really seem to matter what I do (Save for later, compile or compile and delete), the Kernel I'm working on will be decompiled and be an empty file och 0 bytes... Whenever I try to compile the files, it asks me to open Kernel.bin, could that be the problem?

EDIT:
Terribly sorry, I was using version 0.9-something, everything was fixed when I got my hands on the new, AWESOMER 1.1.5! Superb work!
« Last Edit: 2008-12-15 19:09:23 by Jeeper »

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #206 on: 2008-12-15 19:12:11 »
Well, it's an attack editor; how about giving it a name like Scarlet or Heidegger?

You mean like this?
« Last Edit: 2008-12-16 20:54:46 by NFITC1 »

burnloungaz

• View Profile
    • Burnloungaz's site
« Reply #207 on: 2008-12-15 20:45:30 »
lol i figured it out, i deleted the window file in the kernal. oops. i fixed it. but the initial datta has an error though. the max ex gained is actually 40000 off. it messes with the kernal to where you cant reopen it.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: 2008-12-15 21:01:08 »
@NTIFC1

That was quick! Are you a robot? ;-)

But there are a couple of things...

An unhandled exception occurs when I open my modded scene.bin; the program seems to work, but doesn't open any of the scenes from EA onwards. It doesn't happen when I open my unmodded backup, so it may be a problem at my end; I'm going to do a bit more experimenting.

And wallmarket doesn't recognise changes to the names of spells, weapons etc. that were made to kernel2.bin after I first used version 1.0; interestingly, it does recognise changes made with Teioh before that. The changes do show up in the game.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #209 on: 2008-12-15 21:04:42 »
@NTIFC1

That was quick! Are you a robot? ;-)

Sadly, no. :(  (you spelled my name wrong. Prepare to Die! ......or not)

But there are a couple of things...

An unhandled exception occurs when I open my modded scene.bin; the program seems to work, but doesn't open any of the scenes from EA onwards. It doesn't happen when I open my unmodded backup, so it may be a problem at my end; I'm going to do a bit more experimenting.

Well, that's a barebones thing anyway. It will work fine with an unmodded one and I thought it would work fine with a modded one too, but I guess not. I never said that was a full release anyway. ;) It's a Beta of a Demo of a Demo. :D

And wallmarket doesn't recognise changes to the names of spells, weapons etc. that were made to kernel2.bin after I first used version 1.0; interestingly, it does recognise changes made with Teioh before that. The changes do show up in the game.

Were you in PC mode? Did you build kernel2.bin after you were done editing the text?
SOLUTION: I know what it is. If kernel2.bin9, kernel2.bin10, etc. still exist then that's what WM's going to read. Open it, then select "Reload" from the File menu.

lol i figured it out, i deleted the window file in the kernal. oops. i fixed it. but the initial datta has an error though. the max ex gained is actually 40000 off. it messes with the kernal to where you cant reopen it.

I have no idea what you mean. What "window file in the kernal[sic]" and what is "max ex gained"?
« Last Edit: 2008-12-15 21:10:18 by NFITC1 »

burnloungaz

• View Profile
    • Burnloungaz's site
« Reply #210 on: 2008-12-15 21:11:36 »
the window.bin file in the kernal folder. and in the initial stat editorpart of wall market if you set current exp. to the max and save it, when you reopen it it has an error so i went to char edit the save editer i seen what they had as max and its a 40000 difference.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: 2008-12-15 21:17:11 »
Quote from: NFITC1
Sadly, no.  :-(  (you spelled my name wrong. Prepare to Die! ......or not)

Sorry :oops:. Sometimes I get strange ideas into my head about how things are spelt or pronounced, and once they are in, it is very hard to get them out. ;-)

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #212 on: 2008-12-15 21:29:59 »
the window.bin file in the kernal folder. and in the initial stat editorpart of wall market if you set current exp. to the max and save it, when you reopen it it has an error so i went to char edit the save editer i seen what they had as max and its a 40000 difference.

Ah. I see what you mean. At least for the error in WM. I don't know what's going on with whatever save editor you're using, but with WM that's a potential problem... Needs to be fixed quickly.
. . . .
Fixed. ;)

burnloungaz

• View Profile
    • Burnloungaz's site
« Reply #213 on: 2008-12-15 21:53:36 »
the save editer works fine thats why i used it as a guide to fix my issue (though i live by WM,lol).

Armorvil

• Working on : FFVII Total Grudge
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: 2008-12-15 21:56:47 »
You're officially my hero now, NFITC1  :-D
You made Heidegger so fast, and it's working so great it's pure genius.

Saint Gilgamesh

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: 2008-12-15 22:40:41 »
I am getting this error with the newest version- mscorwks.dll cannot be loaded.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #216 on: 2008-12-15 23:47:12 »
I am getting this error with the newest version- mscorwks.dll cannot be loaded.

You probably need the latest .NET Framework runtime files. They're available on Microsoft's website.

burnloungaz

• View Profile
    • Burnloungaz's site
« Reply #217 on: 2008-12-16 13:23:58 »
i think the unknown value in the initial tab in WM might be GP. not sure though.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #218 on: 2008-12-16 15:28:00 »
i think the unknown value in the initial tab in WM might be GP. not sure though.
I am 100% certain that it is not. That Unknown is PER character. It's something to do with that character, but it's always 0 when the game is saved. It comes in the middle of all the HP/MP data so it might have something to do with that or possibly other stat modifing, but I'm not really sure it would do anything.

burnloungaz

• View Profile
    • Burnloungaz's site
« Reply #219 on: 2008-12-16 16:17:24 »
I was not sure, you think it might have something to do with commands. I would enjoy a command maker that allows you to make commands like jump, or what not. i cant get it to work.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: 2008-12-16 16:29:59 »
There isn't much that one can do with commands right now :-(; I don't think anyone knows where the data determining how they work is. The only things one can really change by editing kernel.bin0 is the targeting info and the camera, not that that isn't useful: I made my "flash" command hit one enemy only and my "slash-all" toggle multiple targets so that it works like magic + all materia (i.e. one can choose whether to attack one target or all, and the damage is reduced by 1/3 when targeting all).

Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: 2008-12-16 16:41:11 »
There isn't much that one can do with commands right now :-(; I don't think anyone knows where the data determining how they work is. The only things one can really change by editing kernel.bin0 is the targeting info and the camera, not that that isn't useful: I made my "flash" command hit one enemy only and my "slash-all" toggle multiple targets so that it works like magic + all materia (i.e. one can choose whether to attack one target or all, and the damage is reduced by 1/3 when targeting all).

Commands mostly hardcoded. Not that much you can change about them.

Jump can be made by any attack (spell for example). Just create animation of jump and syncronize it with damage infliction. Easy, but we don't have editors for this thing.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: 2008-12-16 17:28:47 »
That's a shame  :cry:

So, other than the things that can be changed in the kernel, can anything about them be edited? Is modding them just very hard and complicated or is it impossible to do without making huge changes to the way the game works?

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #223 on: 2008-12-16 18:04:33 »
Question. Can the kernel(s) determine how many people are in and who is in the party at particular points in the game, and also what stats they have at random intervals. so say for instance i was recreating a different game based on the FF7 engine. Would editing the Kernel allow me add characters when you meet them, give them X stats, remove them when they are removed from the party and make them return freely, and with different stats, just like Aeris and sephiroth are? I'm simply curious to see how this is done, if it anything to do with the kernel, and if so, would WM be able to do this in the future? something tells me the code in the scene files denotes this, however...

EDIT:
NFITC1, with your help, i can now conclude that the website i stumbled across years ago was right:
http://www.willamette.edu/~ejohnson/findex.htm

take a look at the ideas conveyed there, then take a look at the latest secret "key item" found by wallmarket. "Memories of yuna"... suspicious?

:P
« Last Edit: 2008-12-16 18:30:53 by NeoCloudstrife »

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #224 on: 2008-12-16 18:30:29 »
Question. Can the kernel(s) determine how many people are in and who is in the party at particular points in the game, and also what stats they have at random intervals. so say for instance i was recreating a different game based on the FF7 engine. Would editing the Kernel allow me add characters when you meet them, give them X stats, remove them when they are removed from the party and make them return freely, and with different stats, just like Aeris and sephiroth are? I'm simply curious to see how this is done, if it anything to do with the kernel, and if so, would WM be able to do this in the future? something tells me the code in the scene files denotes this, however...

*whistle* That's a complicated question. The short answer is no. The kernel has data for Sephiroth and Young Cloud for the Kalm flashback, then that data gets forcibly overwritten by Vincent's and Cait Sith's data by the active script at some point after the flashback is over, possibly as late as the moment they "join the party". The kernel does not contain these characters' stats and, regrettably, can't be affected by WM. Aeris's data never actually leaves the memory. Only the flag allowing you to switch to her is turned off. Same thing can be said about assigning stats. I don't think the game ever assigns this (indeed, there may not even be a function to do so). Rather, it will calculate stats based on average party level at the time the character is first recruited. They start out at level 1. Then they are given experience until their level is within a certain level of the average level of your active members (which is counted in halves in kernel.bin2). Their levels and stats are then increased accordingly.
It is most unfortunate as Vincent's and Cait Sith's initial data are not in the kernel. I don't even know where they are, but they're probably hard-coded into the main executable script.