Author Topic: [WIP/REL] Final Fantasy VII - Final Fantasy VIII style  (Read 80165 times)

Miseru

• "Help! One of my main characters is black!" - xD
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP] Final Fantasy VII - Final Fantasy VIII syle
« Reply #25 on: 2010-07-21 00:43:29 »
I dig up a little about that, the jailguy that follows you use "mova", one could add a "line" around the place they hit the wall instead of going after player, that would stop this script and turn on "lader" script, BUT I dunno if it can be made for those entities to follow character move by move as:

-LADER:
If this opcode is used as part of a non-playable character entity, the NPC object will automatically climb from the start to the end point without need for player interaction.

So if they would get on, they would go all the way up/down. That could work on ladders you can't control your movement, but on those you can, if you would change your mind and return they would be blocked on the other side I guess.

I'm trying to find something that could actually "read" player movements, but other than getdir, getxy, getai that could be made to completely replace MOVA with something more accurate(and more complicated:/), but nothing for a ladder problem:P...

Oh wait, maybe using IFKEY/IFKEYON/IFKEYOFF and "just" make the "lader" variable from player keypressed(it CAN check WHAT key is pressed not just "any":P so up/down can be usefull here). Not sure exactly if that could be made to work ingame, I only worry if it's possible to continue/start from the place current entity is actually, couse "lader" uses beginning and end, not sure if they can be somehow set as variables I'm green at ff7 script.

Well good luck anyway. Hope my waste of time was at least a little usefull:P.

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2010-07-21 00:50:56 »
Well Makou reactor and meteor use different names for the codes, so i dont know what you just said lol :P

But i have tried adding a 'if ok key pressed' code, that did absolutely nothing :\

lol you need to use makou reactor :P

Miseru

• "Help! One of my main characters is black!" - xD
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2010-07-21 01:14:00 »
I didn't looked much in meteor, just: http://wiki.qhimm.com/FF7/Field/Script/Opcodes
I guess makou reactor translates it to something easier to understand, but generally it's same thing.

My words based on wiki opcodes: To make a "LADER" there are code "LINE"s at the start and end of it, "LADER" is defined in character entity, but it's started at ladder entity and defined there if it's by keypress or just walking over etc. So maybe it can't be made on ladders that require keypressed to get on. I'm pretty sure there were ladders that you can just walk on, through I don't remember now where.

Maybe they would work with npc too as npc can't really press a key=]. I mean adding a "lader" script to following entities on a field that have a ladder which doesn't require keypress to start. If that could work it would be a start at least. Or maybe even add completely new start/end ladder scripts for use with following entities which would be in exact same position, just have a check to not being used for player character. :O Hell I must be confusing you even more, if it looks completely different in makou reactor than on Wiki. Sorry :3...

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2010-07-21 13:58:35 »
Yep, totally different :P

I think I should explain EXACTLY what i've done.

The jail guy (lets just call him that from now on, like a forum nickname :P) has a few special codes. First off, he has 1 that says he should move to Cloud, and keep moving to him:

Move to Group Cloud
Jump to byte X (X stands for the byte where move to group Cloud is stored, this basicaly creates a loop, so that the man will keep moving to Cloud)

and he has 2 other scripts that says how fast the model should move.

There is a special entity there called "sp" this says that If cancel is pressed, it should execute one of the model move speed scripts to make him run, and if cancel is not pressed, use the other script to make him walk.

For the other characters, I have copy and pasted that code into theirs, and I had to change it from them moving to group cloud, to moving to character 0.

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #29 on: 2010-07-21 16:28:50 »
There is an opcode that makes a n actor "transparent" so you can walk though then. Try applying that to the other characters so you can walk though them.

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2010-07-21 16:32:07 »
I've actually been looking for that for a while, Meteor has it down as SolidObject(On)

Just found it in Makou now, turns out thats what Activate Contact with field model meant....I dont know how I didnt realise... :P

Anyway, I think I'm gonna change this into "The Field Scripts research thread" Or should I make a new one for that?

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #31 on: 2010-07-21 17:25:47 »
Oh, someone renamed the opcodes...  >:(

I was the one who put the original opcode matrix together, The opcodes in the wiki are the same names Square used where they made the fieldscript, they are, therefore, the most "correct" names. Keep in mind fieldscript was also created by Japanese, who don't speak English as a primary language. Also, you don't have a lot of room in a PSX for debugging code, hence the abbreviations.

There are some light changes to the opcode names, for example:
45 MPu
47 MPd
4D HPu
4F HPd
is actually
45 MP+
47 MP-
4D HP+
4F HP-

The reason why I changed the plus to a "u" (For "up") and the minus to a "d" (for down) was because the Wiki had issues with titles ending in a non-character.
It's a little irksome that someone changed the names without making some kind of reference. It makes it look like my original work is "wrong". Does the program you are using reference the opcodes by number? If that's the case I can update the wiki. You can see in every opcode in the wiki there is a "short name" and a "long name". the "long name" is where "human readable" commands are supposed to be listed. If someone goes and renames all the commands, it makes the wiki kind of useless.

I'm willing to help you straighten this out.

==============

BTW the opcode to make the actor solid or walk-though is called SOLID (Opcode C7).
« Last Edit: 2010-07-21 17:28:06 by halkun »

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2010-07-21 17:31:38 »
I'm using Makou Reactor, all of the opcodes have been renamed to make them easier to understand. They Don't have the numbers either. Meteor on the other hand, does use the names on the wiki

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #33 on: 2010-07-21 17:33:46 »
can you take a little time out of your life to make a table that cross-links the two?

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2010-07-21 17:35:56 »
Yeah ok. It'll take me a while though. When I've finished do you want me to pm it?

Gemini

• Not learner's Guru
    • View Profile
    • Devil Hackers
« Reply #35 on: 2010-07-21 18:01:00 »
So, how do you plan to fix the lack of animations that only Cloud, Tifa, and Cid possess? IIRC, no other playable character has any animation for rope and ladder climbing.

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2010-07-21 18:10:41 »
Can always add new ones.

Aeris and Barret actually have climbing animations remember, Aeris climbs in the sector 6 park, and Barret climbs up through the hole where the pinball machine is in the 7th Heaven.

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #37 on: 2010-07-21 18:26:55 »
Yeah ok. It'll take me a while though. When I've finished do you want me to pm it?

sure

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2010-07-21 19:32:16 »
That script I used for the running characters can be used for other things too...I've managed to get Tifa to "transform" into Jessie.

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2010-07-25 13:05:28 »
Sorry for the double post, but, I have just found a code for what character is in what slot...I'm gonna try and see if I can get it to load the character in the top slot.

EDIT: FINALLY Fixed the ladder problem! ;D Your characters will now follow Cloud up a ladder. Only problem is, that if you stop moving on the ladder, the will climb over the top of you. Apart from that, its good :D
« Last Edit: 2010-07-25 18:29:40 by ultima espio »

Mirenheart

• Pone
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2010-07-26 00:47:51 »
Would looking at the script for this in FF8 help at all, or am I just being an idiot?

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #41 on: 2010-07-26 12:19:44 »
Would looking at the script for this in FF8 help at all, or am I just being an idiot?

The fieldscript module was completely rewritten in FF8 and uses none of the opcodes from FF7. Not only that. The follow-me code is automatic in FF8, and hard-coded into the field system.

peppita

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2011-01-09 07:49:46 »
I didnt really feel the need to start a new topic, just kind of wanted to revive this one....

curious if anyone may potentially still be working on this? or would maybe even adopt it?

Or if someone could give me some direction...I wouldnt mind working on it and releasing an updated Flevel.

Relenanator

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2011-01-22 22:03:33 »
I love this idea. It's the same thing that Grandia and SoM had with there characters. I did notice something slightly annoying though. Is it possible to stop Red 13 from always trying to sit down? It's not a huge issue or anything, it just looks a little weird. Also, retarded question - did you make a patch for this already? It seemed like you had this completed in your last post.

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2011-01-23 12:57:04 »
No, I never finished it. It's waay to big of a task, and the ladders are still a problem. I could get it so that they climb one way with you, but not the other. And they always overtook you while you were climbing.

During cutscene's the characters were always trying to reach the leader, causing the game to stay in a constant loop :o

Maybe take another look at it some other time.

Relenanator

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2011-01-23 21:26:26 »
Well I know the coding from FF8 has already been brought up and discounted but maybe some coding from Secret of Mana or PSX Grandia might work. I know they're completely different games and I'm probably talking out of my butt, but they're the only other games I know that use the "Character Follow" feature.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #46 on: 2011-01-24 22:11:28 »
In secret of mana its done differently ( had to be, its a SNES game ) and the interaction is also totally different
I did a lot of modding for grandia myself and the follow_me is hardcoded into the game in some really weird way. iirc, it was in the map code whether the game allowed display_all and follow_me on a particular map

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2012-04-06 19:32:55 »
So I've decided to look into this again...

Originally, the characters followed each other like mindless drones. They just kept moving towards Cloud all the time. But now, I've copied the code from the Church event (when Aeris follows you) and it seems to work a lot better, as you can talk to her while you are walking. Now the only problem is, I can only get it to work for 1 character at a time, it's rather annoying. I'll try and explain exactly what I wanna do:

Instead of them being arranged by slot, which is quite hard to do, I'm going to get them arranged by character, like the submarine does. So for example Barret follows Cloud, and Tifa follows Barret. But if Aeris is in the party instead of Barret, Tifa follows her. And if Aeris is in the party instead of Tifa, Aeris follows Barret and so on.

It's set up in such a way that they only follow the character that the game sets, so that means that they will only follow Cloud, Barret, Tifa, Aeris and Cid during the scenes when they are leaders, and will be disabled if you cheat to play as anyone else. It's due to the fact that they won't place in the correct place for some reason, unless I figure that out.

I'm gonna try and disable it during cutscenes, but I'm not sure on how to do it with ladders...I can get them to climb up with you, but they'll refuse to come back down.

Anybody want to help with coding at all? If a few people want to help we might actually get a full mod out of it.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #48 on: 2012-04-07 19:02:03 »
not going down ladders is a minor issue imo
they're just a little afraid of heights, that's why everyone stays indoors at the highwind and why the sky-drop into midgar is such a big deal :D!

Dark_Ansem

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2012-04-13 06:38:06 »
what other issues are you encountering?