Author Topic: Japanese to English translations errors?  (Read 7387 times)

UTK

• View Profile
Japanese to English translations errors?
« on: 2007-08-01 17:15:33 »
Hi, i just was thinking about the translation of japanese version to english. Everyone says that had a lot of errors, so, anyone has a list of these errors? or at least have a little some?

I'm making a translation of the english version, but are some dialogs thats doesn't makes any sense...

Thanks.

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
Re: Japanese to English translations errors?
« Reply #1 on: 2007-08-06 00:19:58 »
Well, most of the errors are in the Playstation version.  These include:

Aeris: "This guy are sick." (Should be "This guy is sick")

At one point, Elena accuses you of "Doing in" Tseng.  This implies he died.  In the PC version, this was changed to "Messed up"

One thing that was never -and could never- be fixed: Cait Sith/Reeve use two distinct dialects which don't show through in English.  Hence why everyone figures out teh reeve/Cait connection at the same time.

Lots of other little things, too, but i don't know many of them, as i've only played the PC version.  Though I think Cait has some bad dialog in Wutai that survived.

Also, Cid swears uncensored in the City of the Ancients, but that's more of a "Whoops, missed that!" than a mistranslation.

GlitterBerri

« Reply #2 on: 2007-08-07 08:25:50 »
I'm sure the Japanese version of the game has some small grammatical and spelling errors as well, but there are often discrepancies between the Japanese and English versions of the games, leaving the English storylines and events a bit more confusing. Inconsistent translations by people unfamiliar with the series can sometimes ruin running jokes, as in Zelda 1's "IT'S A SECRET TO EVERYONE" appearing in every game but frequently being alternately translated into things like "KEEP IT A SECRET FROM EVERYONE" (guard at OoT's Hyrule Castle gate). It's not wrong, it's just missing the point. Other things like Elena's quote about Tseng dying sort of mix up details. It's surprising how much information can be lost by stuff like this, like the timelines of entire games... people should be more careful! Sheesh!

I haven't played through the Japanese game myself, but I'd be curious to see what story differences there are.

Opine

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007-08-07 20:08:29 »

One thing that was never -and could never- be fixed: Cait Sith/Reeve use two distinct dialects which don't show through in English.  Hence why everyone figures out teh reeve/Cait connection at the same time.

I wonder if this is why in the movie (in the dubbed version) Cait Sith has an Australian-type accent, but Reeve does not. That would finally make sense in my head, if so.

I've also heard that in the Battle Arena, when it asks you if you want to keep going, that your options are "No Way" and "Off Course!" But I've only played PC. Can anyone corroborate that?

edit: Or okay, an Irish accent. See, I'm learning all the time. I now know what type of accent Cait Sith had in the movie, and why :)
« Last Edit: 2007-08-24 20:24:57 by Opine »

squeeble

• GOOGLE GODDAMIT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007-08-07 22:35:29 »
I wonder if this is why in the movie (in the dubbed version) Cait Sith has an Australian-type accent
MY GOD! no he doesn't lol it's clearly irish, cait sith is an old irish folk tale or something, cait sith meaning king of cats which is why he wears the crown, don't know how many Australian accents you've heard lol.

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007-08-10 02:08:08 »
I figured it was a scottish accent.

nope

• nope
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007-08-10 06:32:38 »
It sounded scottish to me.

squeeble

• GOOGLE GODDAMIT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007-08-10 06:39:05 »
Cait Sith: Gaelic word, meaning literally "fairy cat". In Irish fairy
stories, Cait Sith is in many King of Cats tales, which is why he wears a
crown in the game.

reference from here

also read wiki here
I can get more if you want.
It's basically Irish/scottish either way the accent was done terribly lol, just sounded like an american guy doing a scottish accent.

UTK

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007-08-14 16:24:09 »
I know that are some spelling and grammatical errors, but i think there are errors on the translation that confuses the storyline.
Some dialogs does not makes any sense!
I'm afraid that people here may think that my translation is wrong, because some of that dialogs... :(

GlitterBerri

« Reply #9 on: 2007-08-31 20:57:43 »
I'd be happy to help you with the ones that don't make sense, UTK. =) Send me a message, if you like.

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007-09-01 12:11:45 »
It's basically Irish/scottish either way the accent was done terribly lol, just sounded like an american guy doing a scottish accent.

He's actually English. He's from Wigan in the UK.

squeeble

• GOOGLE GODDAMIT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007-09-02 06:59:35 »
Well pom's clearly can't do scottish accents then LOL!

Chrisu

• Simply there
    • View Profile
    • Christian's Programs
« Reply #12 on: 2007-09-06 16:34:55 »
One of Sephiroth's attacks should be called "Pyro Holes", but in the game it's "Pale Horse". But i dunno if thats a Japanese-English or an English-German translation error cause I have the german FF7 game.

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007-09-12 17:48:39 »
I'm Scottish. Its Scottish.

It's also the worst impersonation I've ever heard. If I didn't find it hilarious and/or if I wasn't used to absolutely horrible adaptaions/translations from Square, I might be offended.

Its a good thing humour exists!

[GLG] Sirius

• View Profile
    • Playtime-Gaming
« Reply #14 on: 2007-09-13 08:38:27 »
Damn straight.... t'was a horrible accent, where abouts are you from Lex? Good ol' Glesga for me.

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007-09-13 13:38:06 »
I'm from Glasgow Southside!!! NO WAY!!!

Where you from?

[GLG] Sirius

• View Profile
    • Playtime-Gaming
« Reply #16 on: 2007-09-13 14:37:32 »
Im right by city center, just near tradeston... lol.

Well i doubt we are allowed to hijack this topic for a standard chat :p