Author Topic: SOLVED: Installation Problem! (FF7)  (Read 14940 times)

Stan The FF7 Fan

• View Profile
SOLVED: Installation Problem! (FF7)
« on: 2011-08-09 23:44:06 »
Hi, I'm a big fan of Final fantasy vii, so i decided to buy the PC version.   :-D
 and when i try to install with the disk, i open setup, click install, then the next screen doesnt show up, and i'm back at my desktop. I tried setting compatablity to all options on the setup.exe, but none of those work. PLEASE help me! I tried to find a fix, but no one seems to have one, and i found i am not the only one with this problem!

I am running:
 Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Acer Aspire X3400
AMD Athlon II X3 435 Processor 2.90 GHz
4.00GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9200

PLEASE HELP ME!! :-( :|

Also: I've checked many websites, and i found that quite a few people have this problem.  :-(

EDIT: Sorry didn't read all of the solved topics. Will try this solution http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=11790.0

EDIT 2: Okay. The fix above worked. I installed the game but now i have a new problem. Here are some screenshots:

Beginning mission...

In the first battle..

And in the main menu..

Does anyone know how to fix this?? Please let me know!

The cutscenes work fine.

when i have controll of my character and  i walk around, everything is black except for the characters.

I haven't installed any patches yet. Did i mess up the installation or what??  :|
« Last Edit: 2011-09-01 22:58:38 by Bosola »

Template

• Life is a series of cats.
    • View Profile
Re: Installation Problem! (FF7)
« Reply #1 on: 2011-08-10 02:12:40 »
seriously?

you need the 1.02 patch and aali's custom driver...

i find it amazing you would go to the trouble of making this post without having even installed a single patch.
« Last Edit: 2011-08-10 02:15:41 by Template »

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-08-10 02:18:58 »
The only option you must choose during installation is "Maximum Installation". If you did that then just use FF7 1.02 Patch and Aali's Driver and report back here.

Also Template, he's just trying the game out first to see if it even works. No need to make him feel unwelcomed by making him feel like an idiot. Besides you don't NEED 1.02 Patch or Aali's Driver to play the game.
« Last Edit: 2011-08-10 02:21:37 by DarkFang »

Stan The FF7 Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-08-10 02:20:01 »
Okay thanks for the help, sorry I'm not great with computers, and never played the PC version before. I will report my progress. Thanks again. :-)

Okay, now it's ALOT better. the menu is fixed, now the only problem is this:

Is there a way i can fix these "squares"

« Last Edit: 2011-08-10 02:47:54 by Stan The FF7 Fan »

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-08-10 03:01:20 »
I saw something about this somewhere before. I think it has to do with Nvidia drivers. Try turning off shaders in your ff7_opengl.cfg file. Also try turning on fancy transparency.

Stan The FF7 Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-08-10 03:05:26 »
YES!  ;D Thanks DarkFang! I turned off the Nvidia toggle on the config. and guess what? The squares are gone!  ;D
Thanks alot  :)

Now I made a backup, and its time to get some MODS :)
Any tips on mods?
« Last Edit: 2011-08-10 03:07:58 by Stan The FF7 Fan »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011-08-10 03:11:36 »
Those squares, to the best of my knowledge, do not appear if Aali's driver is properly installed.

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011-08-10 03:18:40 »
Now I made a backup, and its time to get some MODS :)
Any tips on mods?

Use this for a long list of mods. You should start with the Avalanche mods.

Stan The FF7 Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011-08-10 15:00:57 »
So. I didn't install any new mods because i realized that my resolution did not change, So i downloaded opengl-0.7.11b and followed the steps. Now my ff7 resolution is 1600x900. Now there is a new problem where my screen is white and all i see is cloud and the save point. but now its in high resoultion  ;D
Is there a way to fix the white screen? Also when i start ff7.exe it skips the eidos loading animation and the squaresoft one. Please help me!
Btw, somewhy i cant get a screenshot of the white screen with cloud and a savepoint. When i try to paste the SS in paint, it turns black.

Edit: BTW, I am using the custom driver on config.
« Last Edit: 2011-08-10 15:03:25 by Stan The FF7 Fan »

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2011-08-10 15:19:45 »
change ff7_opengl.cfg

use_shaders = no

Stan The FF7 Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2011-08-10 16:11:01 »
Thanks alot Pitbrad! It works fine now. Only one more thing i wanna fix is that when the game starts there is no EIDOS animation and it shows this message: ERROR: Can not get movie file
in the menu where you click New game or Continue.
please help me :) and thanks for all of the help, you guys are the best! ;)

PitBrat

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2011-08-10 17:14:49 »
Copy the eidoslogo.avi movie from the game cd to the .\movies folder.
Or use this one from FFVIII.

And for good measure, check out this video.

Stan The FF7 Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2011-08-10 18:35:01 »
Thanks man, but that didn't fix my problem. Btw, i am missing my movie folder, and i can't see the squaresoft animation, and i still get the message that i posted before.

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #13 on: 2011-08-10 19:45:10 »
Thanks man, but that didn't fix my problem. Btw, i am missing my movie folder, and i can't see the squaresoft animation, and i still get the message that i posted before.

you can just copy them from the play cd's in to the <ff7_install>/data/movies  folder then follow above  advice above to tell ff7 where to find the movies. you will have to do this with each cd, some movies are on each disk so just overwrite if asked.

Stan The FF7 Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2011-08-10 20:38:23 »
Ohh okay thanks very much, and i was wondering.. is there a place where i can get the FMV's in high resolution? :D

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2011-08-10 20:42:25 »
It only depends on whose FMVs you want, and whose will work for you. Taken from the bootleg edit thread.

FILE                              AUTHOR                  DESCRIPTION                     INFO        NOTE
Cutscenes and Movies
ff7_enhanced_movies_1.zip                       Trojak          Another Movie Pack part 1               Qhimm FILE
ff7_enhanced_movies_2.zip                       Trojak          Another Movie Pack part 2               Qhimm FILE
FMVRes.exe                                      DLPB            HD Movies installer                     Qhimm FILE
FMVRes-1.bin                                    DLPB            HD Movies data pack                     Qhimm FILE
FMVRes-2.bin                                    DLPB            HD Movies data pack                     Qhimm FILE
FMVRes-3.bin                                    DLPB            HD Movies data pack                     Qhimm FILE
FMVRes-4.bin                                    DLPB            HD Movies data pack                     Qhimm FILE
FMVRes-5.bin                                    DLPB            HD Movies data pack                     Qhimm FILE
FMVRes-6.bin                                    DLPB            HD Movies data pack                     Qhimm FILE
hq_ending2.AVI                                  Grimmy          HQ Ending 2 FMV                         Qhimm FILE
hq_hybridmoon_vids.zip                          Grimmy          HQ Funeral FMV                          Qhimm FILE
HQ_opening_credits.zip                          Grimmy          Opening Credits                         Qhimm FILE
hq_vids_2.7z                                    Grimmy          Midgar canon firing, Nanaki's ending    Qhimm FILE
missing_hq.zip                                  Grimmy          Rufus, Sephiroth and Meteor             Qhimm FILE
New_opening.7z                                  Grimmy          New Opening FMV                         Qhimm FILE
New_Prelude.zip                                 Grimmy          HQ Prelude FMV                          Qhimm FILE

Stan The FF7 Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2011-08-10 21:18:17 »
Wow, thank you so much darkfang :)

And thanks to PitBrad for posting the bootleg :)

Edit: I put all the FMV's into the movies folder, and went for a bikeride  ;D

then i come home to play the game.. and BAM:

>:( ... I didn't change anything, I even tried without the FMV's..

Please help me!
« Last Edit: 2011-08-11 00:23:41 by Stan The FF7 Fan »

Stan The FF7 Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2011-08-11 00:49:15 »
I'm going to reinstall the Aali's custom driver and see if that helps..

EDIT: didn't help.. :/

Also, when i open up Config and i click on graphics, i see this

If you can't read it it says "Could not locate ff7.exe, FF7 is not installed correctly."

My ff7.exe is in my folder! I never moved it or changed it!  :|

« Last Edit: 2011-08-11 01:02:18 by Stan The FF7 Fan »

PitBrat

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2011-08-11 01:30:01 »
Install FF7
Install the 1.02 Patch
Install Aali's OpenGL Driver 0.7.11b
Run ff7config.exe as administrator
Set the graphics driver to 'custom'
Run ff7.exe as administrator

If you're copying the movies to your 'Final Fantasy VII\movies' folder, you'll need to update the registry to point to that location.

More detailed installation instructions.

Stan The FF7 Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2011-08-11 01:48:19 »
Alright I will do it tomorrow, i need to sleep.
I will post an update to tell if everything worked out. Thanks a bunch.  :)

Edit: Everything is back to normal! Thanks everyone  :-D
« Last Edit: 2011-08-11 13:15:26 by Stan The FF7 Fan »