Author Topic: New Field backgrounds/CG Cutscenes thread  (Read 179892 times)

willis936

• View Profile
Re: New Field backgrounds/CG Cutscenes thread
« Reply #75 on: 2010-01-22 20:15:35 »
Oh wow that looks amazing.
How long did that take?

Xenobond

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio Site
« Reply #76 on: 2010-01-22 21:54:44 »
Well, to get to that point took me an hour. A good chunk of the time was spent with learning how to use the camera matching tools in Max.
Took the original image into sketchup, lined up the perspective lines with the cage, then drew out the ground floor shape.
Imported the shape into max, and went from there building placeholders for all the objects needed.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 2010-01-22 21:57:57 »
might do well to whip up a tut, spread the load :P

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 2010-01-22 22:17:01 »
looks very good, and not as tedious as trying to do the whole thing within sketchup. How are you planning on texturing the whole thing? That is the only problem i see with your method, you will need to unwrap the UV model and texture it in order to finish the scene.

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 2010-01-22 22:18:13 »
My question is can I stay in skechup do I need max? Because I am very broke and max is VERY expensive...

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 2010-01-22 22:20:21 »
we'd have to texture them anyways, though with scetchup we'd have the original as a reference

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 2010-01-22 22:24:40 »
we'd have to texture them anyways, though with scetchup we'd have the original as a reference
right on, just wondering what kinda workflow you may have been planning on. I'm glad that this project is opening up, this is the last large hurdle to refinishing FF7 as a whole. I wish you guys luck, and i can chip in if you need any help texturing.

And mako, i assume you can still proceed in SU, just get a 3DS exporter so you can hand your model off to someone else once you are finished, and they can polish and unwrap it for finalizing.

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 2010-01-22 22:41:29 »
Right thanks all...I'll post skechup file soon I think my question is answered so I need to recreate the scene in 3D shape for shape...COOL. So NOT just creating a flat surface and splashing the photo on it...thanks guys I will try.   

romeo14

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 2010-01-23 02:23:43 »
this is great, cant wait for a scene to get done and get to test one out :)

Xenobond

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio Site
« Reply #84 on: 2010-01-23 02:29:00 »
this is great, cant wait for a scene to get done and get to test one out :)

Yeah. That was one of the reasons I picked that screen. Simple shapes, minimal layers, minimal animations. Wanted to get a good test piece done to see how much time it took, and if it looked good enough.

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #85 on: 2010-01-23 12:45:24 »
Uh, not sure if everyone realised, but this was the actually the point of doing this. You didn't all just think I wanted to do it in sketchup did you? *shudder*
Perhaps I didn't explain very well/ at all, i tend to get caught up in the moment sometimes and not check what I actually said. Anyway, whoever you are, Xenobond, you seem to have gotten the point, and what's more, you are instantly better than me at it. (I find this happens to me with about 99% of the things I do.) But what I want to know is, how the F@!# have you managed to get the camera EXACTLY right. And we're talking EXACTLY here. It looks EXACTLY like what i wanted to acheive with this project.

...I don't suppose you'd actually be willing to help out with this, would you? We could definately use you, no doubt.

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 2010-01-23 12:56:07 »
I would have to agree. I would also like to know how you got the camera angle correct?. Also Neocloudstrife you can stop shuddering I only have skechup I dont have 3ds (yet) so yeah I'll have to do most of my work there...But I am still trying modeling 3D is hard work (apparently not for xeno).

BlitzNCS

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #87 on: 2010-01-23 13:49:32 »
Well, you don't have to learn modelling or get max at all. Getting the shapes and camera angles done properly in sketchup is a MASSIVE help for the modelling part.

In other news, here's a picture of junon so far.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x74/beefpwnage/TESTJUNON-2.jpg

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 2010-01-23 16:57:14 »
Very nice on junon neo! keep it up.

BlitzNCS

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #89 on: 2010-01-24 14:50:29 »
Another update, which shows a more "finished", but very unfinished junon. I still need to do a lot of work here, and then start texturing. Thank God i don't need to think too much about UV mapping or poly count optimisation, or this could take forever. anyway, take a look.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x74/beefpwnage/TESTJUNON-4.jpg

Now put the original in a different tab, and flick between the 2. Please tell me what has to be done differently, thanks (besides the lighting). Would really like some criticism. Oh, and ignore the second building for now, I know the door's not the right size or shape, it's still the old one.

Rember, it's nowhere near done yet. It's just a rough guess at what things might work and what might not
« Last Edit: 2010-01-24 15:03:24 by NeoCloudstrife »

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 2010-01-24 16:13:52 »
Other then the piller in the back above the tunnel being a tad to large, it's perfect! :D

Marc

• I hear Voices ... in my head
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 2010-01-24 16:34:39 »
Why is it higher thsn the original ?  It seems your new background starts where the old doors finished ?

And I also have a question.

How will making new models improve the textures ?  This might be a silly question but I was under the impression it was because the original backgrounds were too low a resolution that they're of such low quality.  How is making models and reapplying those same textures on new modelled backgrounds through sketchup going to solve that issue ?

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 2010-01-24 17:41:22 »
How will making new models improve the textures ?  This might be a silly question but I was under the impression it was because the original backgrounds were too low a resolution that they're of such low quality.  How is making models and reapplying those same textures on new modelled backgrounds through sketchup going to solve that issue ?

Yeah, I thought this was the case as well. No matter how good the models are, if the textures are still low res, there isn't going to be much of an improvement.

Or does remaking background models make it easier to upgrade the textures?

BlitzNCS

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #93 on: 2010-01-24 18:00:11 »

Yeah, I thought this was the case as well. No matter how good the models are, if the textures are still low res, there isn't going to be much of an improvement.

Or does remaking background models make it easier to upgrade the textures?

Of course we're going to use new textures here! The backgrounds are going to be completely re-done. Totally new! This paired with more modern rendering techniques and sleek lighting, and of course some photoshopping will create the effect I'm looking for. Now does everyone get it? :P

The reason we need sketchup and to model this entirely by hand is that apart from the walkmeshes, which arent much good, we don't actually have 3D models of the scenes, all we have are pictures, and It's going to be a lot harder painting these entirely by hand for me, and I seem to be the only one really interested in this thus far, so I'm doing it the way I can get it done fastest.

Why is it higher thsn the original ?  It seems your new background starts where the old doors finished ?

I did say to ignore the second building, didn't I?

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 2010-01-25 06:05:00 »
Xeno what was the name of the file that u grabbed that background from. I want to see what your render looks like in game, well timu does but he owns a mac  :roll:

Marc

• I hear Voices ... in my head
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 2010-01-25 06:08:21 »
I understand the process now.  Even more involved than I thought but I guess it has to be done ...

As for help, you might get a few more bites if you posted a thread in the Game Tweaking section.  I'm unsure how many people actually look at other forums.

As for your second door, I thought you meant your second model, not the one already in-game.

Xenobond

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio Site
« Reply #96 on: 2010-01-25 12:07:50 »
That room is mds7_w2
Here's the 4x version from where I left off over the weekend.
« Last Edit: 2010-01-26 01:49:05 by Xenobond »

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 2010-01-26 06:55:36 »
That room is mds7_w2
Here's the 4x version from where I left off over the weekend.

Xeno would it be hard for you to give me another image with just the fence area? I want to try this out in the game and see how it looks

Xenobond

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio Site
« Reply #98 on: 2010-01-27 13:53:27 »
I'm sure you can figure something out.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 2010-01-27 13:57:54 »
I think backgrounds should be rendered out at 5x, as the high end resolution rihgt now i beleive is 1600x1200, 5 times the original 320/240.