Author Topic: Q-gears logo/Splash Screen contest.  (Read 27264 times)

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
Re: Q-gears logo/Splash Screen contest.
« Reply #25 on: 2006-05-30 01:37:43 »

Too Late...

Sad Jari

« Reply #26 on: 2006-05-30 01:55:57 »
This can't be much more off topic than the previous post...

I'm curious, are there some kind of "Make Jari lose his face"-training courses for the staff, or does this stuff come naturally?

This is only the third time so far, it got me thinking.

I mean, I try to do the right thing, like come up with the idea of Lounge... and what do I get? Knife in my back. It makes me feel so happy and appreciated.

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #27 on: 2006-05-30 02:35:34 »
I'm trying to lighten up the place. In the end, it's just a silly logo contest.

Nothing more.

I think the drama is unwarrented. Heck. Q-Gears doen't even *need* a splash screen, but I wanted to have some of the non-programmers participate. I didn't read what you and RPG were arguing about (Honestly, I didn't care, it was scewing up the karma of the thread, and didn't belong where pretty pictures are being posted)

Sooner or later I'm going to have to reject whole volumes of code for Q-gears from programmers who mean well, but don't exactly match the direction I think the program should go in. (Someone submit a patch to allow a model other than FF7's .p format. Watch what happens to it)

I can also take out the splash screen by removing one line of code with a svn commit message of "I did this for no reason" and that would be reason enough.

What was I talking about again?

I don't remeber. If you have an issue, bring it to me, If you have a problem with me, take it to Qhimm. Then we, with our mod hats on, will hash out what's wrong.

« Last Edit: 2006-05-30 02:41:52 by halkun »

Sad Jari

« Reply #28 on: 2006-05-30 05:17:47 »
I didn't read what you and RPG were arguing about (Honestly, I didn't care, it was scewing up the karma of the thread, and didn't belong where pretty pictures are being posted)
*groan*

I was going to say in any case that I would have rather appreciated it if you had split that part from the topic and thrown it to Unrelated for example. That way it would have been out of your hair (or equivalent of it), and I could have had my fun with him.

That is especially true if you didn't read it.

Now it just looks like you came to his rescue, seeing that I was doing the accusing and he had been just pretending that nothing had happened when you deleted it entirely.

I'm not saying that you can't do that, not at all (since it was off topic, duh), I'm just saying that splitting would have been the better way.

Just for the record, the reason why I was grilling him, in a really short way;

RPG is the person who was trying really hard to read the private apology to Nori, even though it pretty blatantly said that it was for her only. He didn't have much success with it, and tried to suck up when I busted him. Apparently he either had forgotten entirely about it, or tried to ignore it in his first reply.

That's why I have not only issues with such people getting credit, but doubts that you would want such person in your team. He seems to have this "It's ok, as long as I don't get busted"-attitude. Then there's the entire "I'm teh admin"-episode from RPG, I didn't even remember that until he mentioned it himself.

But whatever. I'm not going to take anything to Qhimm, partly because he's an expert of this himself. And I don't really care what the staff thinks about it anyway.

I have to tip my hat off to you for not lying, as people might remember the previous two staff members who tried a similar thing with me had to do that. And that really pisses me off. I'm not really pissed about what you did, but about how you did it.

EDIT: Hey rmco2003, I know you are viewing this. Happy with your handiwork?
« Last Edit: 2006-05-30 05:35:43 by Sad Jari »

Otokoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2006-05-30 14:39:12 »
I think this calls for more pictures of Ayumi Hamasaki!!  :-D  Just kidding...or am I?

Quote from: halkun
I like the Comet thing. It's in the rules to use elements of the logo without using the *real* logo from the game.

How about this. Mix the two ideas togeather. The green color from the single gear logo mixed with the comet-like shape. White background with black letters.

That sounds great just one suggestion.  Maybe we could give the text a little depth, not just flat text.  Maybe a little shadow such as this picture.  Another idea might be some neat emboss effects.

We are going to need much larger source files, so that it is only a matter of resizing the master logo.  If anyone has a larger gear design I can mess around with the design in Photoshop and see what I come up with.

Sad Jari

« Reply #30 on: 2006-05-30 15:50:25 »
I think this calls for more pictures of Ayumi Hamasaki!!  :-D  Just kidding...or am I?
Referring to me, perhaps? :-D

Don't worry, as far as I'm concerned this matter is settled. I don't totally approve what happened, but I have no major issues with it, nor with halkun - as long as my messages don't mysteriously disappear. I'll be rather annoyed if the reason for my actions goes MIA again.

PS. The first of your examples has really, really much dropshadow. Idea is pretty good, just lot less of it, please.
« Last Edit: 2006-05-30 15:55:15 by Sad Jari »

BesideTheVoid

• formerly known as ProtoArmor
    • View Profile
    • Official BesideTheVoid Productions Website
« Reply #31 on: 2006-05-30 19:40:46 »
Umm,  if you got the gear by typing "Sprocket" on images.google.com (and yes, I checked), how do you know that isn't already copyrighted by someone else (and it probably is)???????????????????

rmco2003

« Reply #32 on: 2006-05-30 20:18:35 »
Just use the outline of the image, surely they can't copyright the shape of a gear can they?  :-P

bluesummers182

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2006-05-30 22:55:48 »
I doubt someone would copyright a picture of a gear....

Sad Jari

« Reply #34 on: 2006-05-30 23:06:15 »
You don't have to copyright stuff explicitly, since almost everything is under copyright unless stated otherwise.

Whether a shape of a gear can be considered as copyrighted is a good question. If it's really distinctive, why not. I suppose.

Otokoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2006-05-31 05:34:09 »
Well I found a picture of a gear from a "free images" site, so their shouldn't be any copyright infringement.  :-)  I messed around with it a bit, and with suggestions from halkun and Sad Jari, I put this together.

I made the base logo much larger so only resizing would be an issue for web design and such.  Here is a link to a larger, more detailed view.

LINK

This is just a work in progress so any suggestions are welcome.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2006-05-31 05:45:23 »
Hmm... The FF7 logo had the colors reversed (blue on bottom, green on top) and the text was black with a white outline. I like it, though.

Otokoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2006-05-31 05:51:42 »
I'm glad someone noticed so quickly!  I thought since this project is basically a "reverse engineering" and reconstruction of the original, to do a kind of flip in the design was fitting.  I like the whole idea of subtle design hints, but not treading directly on then Squaresoft's original logo.  If the original comet style is more preferred that can be easily done as well.
« Last Edit: 2006-05-31 06:13:59 by Otokoshi »

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2006-05-31 15:47:35 »
Hmmmm halkun does this mean we need a REAL splash screen? Not one with stuff pasted into it? :D

I suppose we should consider where to put the progress indications, version #, and whatever else wants to be in the splash logo load.

Cyb

RPGillespie

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/rpgillespie6
« Reply #39 on: 2006-05-31 16:45:46 »
Well I found a picture of a gear from a "free images" site, so their shouldn't be any copyright infringement.  :-)  I messed around with it a bit, and with suggestions from halkun and Sad Jari, I put this together.
. . .
Very good, although something about the gear... looks kind of feminine? Maybe its just me but the gear kind of looks like a flower. Other than that, very clean look - I like!

I found this gear on wikipedia:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6a/Sprocket16.png/800px-Sprocket16.png

Edit: Maybe something like this (just a little cleaner and some transparency effects)?:

Ehh, the smaller gears look like crap. I hate ms paint. Anyway, here is a colorless gear that I made from the wiki one.
« Last Edit: 2006-06-01 05:36:35 by RPGillespie »

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
« Reply #40 on: 2006-06-01 18:37:22 »
I like the idea about using gears to make up the meteor shape, so how about you just make gears from scratch? I mean, the shape isn't that difficult. This I just whipped up using photoshop's built-in shapes and layer effects:

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2006-06-01 18:52:49 »
The Japanese Text that reads Q-Gears? Excellent idea!

rmco2003

« Reply #42 on: 2006-06-01 19:37:01 »
That looks really cool :-D I like the smoothing done on the gears and the use of different tones for different gears, also that one posted earlier done with that vector program looks great too, also I'm not sure what you're on about Sad Jari but if you want to talk about whatever it was I did then PM me.

NobodyImportant

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2006-06-01 23:06:50 »
Aw, Qhimm, that's beautiful. As for the "splash screen", isn't the background of FF7...black?

Otokoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2006-06-01 23:51:52 »
Quote from: Qhimm
This I just whipped up using photoshop's built-in shapes and layer effects:
Wow!  If that is just something you whipped together, I'd love to see the work you put extra effort and time into.  :wink:

That looks great!  I think that would make the perfect logo for the project.

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #45 on: 2006-06-02 02:51:27 »
Qhimm.  I think you wond the contest....

I'll put that as a spash screen as soon as possable.

########### UPDATE ############

It's in Congrats Qhimm!
« Last Edit: 2006-06-02 03:00:22 by halkun »

ice_cold513

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2006-06-02 07:37:06 »
i would use Qhimm one too it fixs right in what your doing

sfx1999

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2006-06-02 20:10:34 »
Qhimm, isn't that a little to close to the FF7 logo?

rmco2003

« Reply #48 on: 2006-06-02 20:33:16 »
Well it looks original enough to me

sfx1999

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2006-06-02 21:08:32 »
Yeah, but you never know with some companies.