Author Topic: Information on FF7.exe  (Read 68390 times)

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
Information on FF7.exe
« Reply #100 on: 2001-02-09 10:38:00 »
65+mb!!! damn thats big  :D

The SaiNt

• View Profile
Information on FF7.exe
« Reply #101 on: 2001-02-10 20:22:00 »
Here's what I've found out so far about the FF7.exe
using IDA PRO. It's a disassembler.

It looks like Vincent.dat, Cloud.dat, Sefiros.dat are not internal files in the EXE. Looking at the asm view of FF7.exe, the information seems to be stored in camdat*.bin. In fact, the types of monster magic seems to be stored there too.

You know what's surprising? The name of every single country and language is listed in the EXE file.

All summons seem to be grouped as limits.
Special magic done by monsters seem to be grouped as Specials
Most of the specials are named in Japanese so I don't know what is what.
All Enemy Skills are grouped under blue

There is a several test runs when accessing Flevel.lgp files as stated in the EXE
Here's the list:-
sprites.tst  - Testing of BG sprites
The following defines the sprites:-
# %d: x %d, y%d, u%d, v%d, clut%d Depth %d',0Ah,0
(If it means what I think it means, then the sprites are defined in x-coordinates(decimal), Y-coordinates(decimal),Depth /z-coordinate(decimal))

cover.tst - Testing of cover data

bk.tst - Testing of background data
The following defines the sprites:-
# %d: page %d ,u %5f, v%5f, pal%d, x%d, y%d Depth%d tex
(If it means what I think it means, then the sprites are defined in x-coordinates(decimal), Y-coordinates(decimal),Depth /z-coordinate(decimal), pallete(decimal) v??(float with up to 5 decimal places))

lower.tst - Lower Plain Data
upper.tst - Upper Plain Data

I believe all the algorithms for viewing the data here is defined in the EXE. I'm not too good at reading ASM so heck
One more thing, they also defined these file extentions(i think) for flevel.lgp
.mim
.map (map files??)
.ate (active time event??? - too much FF9 maybe)
.bsx
.sta
.inf
.enc (encounter rate???)
.fcr
.fda
.fpl
.fcc
.mcc

The .P temp files, the ones that appear in the main directory although you delete them are defined in dx_sfx.cpp. and it has something to do with the graphics library.

I wonder why this line exists?
C:libsrcpolygonplytopd.cpp
It must be for converting .PLY files into .PD files. But what are .PD files.

This is some stuff from the plytopd.cpp section

":HEADER_BLOCK"
offset aScript       ; ":SCRIPT"
offset aSkeleton     ; ":SKELETON"
offset aFrames       ; ":FRAMES"
offset aChannels     ; ":CHANNELS"
offset aRotation_order ; ":ROTATION_ORDER"
offset aRotate_resolut ; ":ROTATE_RESOLUTION"
offset aBones        ; ":BONES"
offset aRoot_coordinat ; "root_coordinate"

Skillster :This address seems to refer to supernova - WeaponS_nova

There's so much more to look at but i need sleep now. Just a side note: The EXE divides it's functions in a quite orderly manner with the names of the .cpp files.
Lastly, I haven't been posting much lately cause my coursework is piling up. Besides, I've gotta prepare for my exam 1 1/2 weeks from now.

[This message has been edited by The SaiNt (edited February 10, 2001).]

The Skillster

• View Profile
Information on FF7.exe
« Reply #102 on: 2001-02-11 01:26:00 »
enc files? LET ME AT EM!! gotta be something to do with the party no too! Damn loads of info, too much to take in  :D
I off course support the theories above, but logic proves that we arnt gonna edit the exe without problems, unless you r skilled in assembly and reverse engineering, so good luck TheSaint  :D

The Skillster

• View Profile
Information on FF7.exe
« Reply #103 on: 2001-02-11 01:59:00 »
well i see .mim? those are from FF8 too right? they may have the same function too (what is the function of .mim files in FF8 anyway?) looking at those file types I guess that maybe the feild files can be mini archives, holding those file types in them?

ficedula

• View Profile
    • http://www.ficedula.co.uk
Information on FF7.exe
« Reply #104 on: 2001-02-11 16:27:00 »
The field files (files from FLEVEL.LGP) are sort of mini-archives. They contain a kinda of table-of-contents at the beginning, like an LGP, that lists the location of blocks of data within the field file. However, no filenames are listed. For example, the first block contains (among other things) the dialogue. Another block (third? fourth?) contain the palette for the level. Another contains the background.

It'd be hard to associate a filename with any part, because the field files don't give names to each block within them.

The Skillster

• View Profile
Information on FF7.exe
« Reply #105 on: 2001-02-12 16:41:00 »
ficedula:if scroll thru a feild file, youll see a section headed palette and this is where the palette is defined.
Then theres a section headed Texture this is where the background tiles are, (this is a fact, if cut this section out and inported it RAW into PSP and i can see the tiles bt they are in a mixed order without any colour). So there u go, all thats needed is to find the 'headings' for the other 'blocks' of the feild files, then we can look at decoding them  :D
good luck all  :wink:

ficedula

• View Profile
Information on FF7.exe
« Reply #106 on: 2001-02-12 16:12:00 »
Block 0 (if we're starting at 0) contains the text at the end of the block, dunno about the start.

Block 3 is palette.

Block 8 is background ... not sure if anything else, I've only just starting looking at the Gast source.

The Skillster

• View Profile
Information on FF7.exe
« Reply #107 on: 2001-02-12 16:31:00 »
Nice to hear it Fice'! Good luck

The Skillster

• View Profile
Information on FF7.exe
« Reply #108 on: 2001-02-12 16:39:00 »
HMM, New cosmo 0.6 is online (hey, i thought id save u the bother!).
It includes background veiwer (!) and NPC name editing too! can you change sephiroth's name too?

The Skillster

• View Profile
Information on FF7.exe
« Reply #109 on: 2001-02-12 16:45:00 »
urr, ficedula? wheres the NPC name editing in the internal editor? (or is it disbled 4 this release?)thankx

ficedula

• View Profile
Information on FF7.exe
« Reply #110 on: 2001-02-12 18:07:00 »
What it means is, when somebody with a name who isn't a character speaks, you can change the name that comes up in the dialogue.

For example, if you have a piece of dialogue that Sephiroth says, double-click on the entry in the list and you could change it to something else...and his name would be different when that dialogue came on the screen...

but it would ONLY change for that piece of dialogue. You'd need to change it individually for each single text item. I could add an automatic search/replace if people wanted it ... it's a new feature I've only just added.

Information on FF7.exe
« Reply #111 on: 2001-02-12 21:02:00 »
The SaiNt: Perhaps if we can identify which extensions go with which part of the field files...

If the .MIM is the same as it is in FF8 then that's one format out of the way. .MAP could be the pallette. .INF might be the text.

This is all interesting info. There's camdat0.BIN, camdat1.bin, and camdat2.BIN in BATTLE.LGP. Which one of them is it?

When you get time, I'd love to hear more.

Ficedula: Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll do a search with my hex editor in a couple field files for all of those extensions The SaiNt listed. An automatic name change feature would be fun. Question: is there any text that Cosmo *can't* edit now? I must say I love all the new features. Eventually do you think you'll expand on the background viewing (i.e. pick it up where it's been left off)? I really like the resize feature, I could never get around size problems with Gast.

The SaiNt

• View Profile
Information on FF7.exe
« Reply #112 on: 2001-02-13 14:23:00 »
One more thing.
There's an odd file called flevel.siz in the flevel.lgp.
The file is also referenced in the EXE file from the ASM I read.
Anyone want to try out what the file is supposed to contain?

ficedula

• View Profile
Information on FF7.exe
« Reply #113 on: 2001-02-13 15:15:00 »
FLEVEL.SIZ contains one integer entry for each line in MAPNAMES. MAPNAMES unsurprisingly contains the names of the level files ... but I don't know what FLEVEL.SIZ is used for. You don't need to know the size of the level in advance to decompress it.

Information on FF7.exe
« Reply #114 on: 2001-02-15 20:41:00 »
Gak! Well, I'm sure that's the first of many file extensions I've missed. I guess we need to update the "Things we know about FF7" thread.

ficedula

• View Profile
Information on FF7.exe
« Reply #115 on: 2001-02-15 21:07:00 »
Yeah ... I've been thinking about that. I might put some sort of doc on my website containing that sort of information. After all, threads disappear from the message board eventually. Once we've agreed on the board about something we could update the doc.
What does everyone think about that?

Information on FF7.exe
« Reply #116 on: 2001-02-16 00:38:00 »
Actually, I'm one step ahead of you there.
My doc is mostly finished, and it pretty much covers all of that. I've just got to tie up some loose ends and add a few things here and there. Once it's finished you're more than welcome to take it and use its information to create your own doc and/or fill in the blanks.

[This message has been edited by Srethron Askvelhtnod (edited February 15, 2001).]

The SaiNt

• View Profile
Information on FF7.exe
« Reply #117 on: 2001-02-16 07:13:00 »
Strethon, I will definately read and use your  docs when they're out but like I said earlier, after my exams.

ficedula

• View Profile
Information on FF7.exe
« Reply #118 on: 2001-02-16 13:58:00 »
Fair enough; good one. Tell us when you're finished.

Information on FF7.exe
« Reply #119 on: 2001-02-20 21:56:00 »
Will do. I should have some time to finish them up soon.