Author Topic: [FF7] Field Editor - Meteor (Alpha) (Missing Download)  (Read 30883 times)

Otokoshi

• View Profile
Re: Meteor (Alpha)
« Reply #25 on: 2006-09-25 15:36:35 »
[StupidQuestion]If this program could create new scripts in-game, could we replace text dialogue with voiced dialogue?[/StupidQuestion]

Just wondering.  I remember parts in FF7 where scripted sequences would play sound effects along with the action.  If we could use voiced dialogue thats pace was set by time rather than stomping the X button as previously done for text, I dunno just sounds like a neat idea.

I'm guessing that the current scripts point to resources already found in the original game, thus adding new content would:

A) Be impossible
B) Be so time consuming that it's just not worth it

Synergy Blades

« Reply #26 on: 2006-09-25 16:24:08 »
More of B than A, I reckon.  :lol: I mean it's.. possible, if you can add new sounds to wherever they're stored. So instead of (or as well as) opening a window you'd need to play a sound() along with it, and you'd be limited to 65,000-odd sounds (minus the number already used by the game). You'd be working within the confines of the existing opcodes, which were never made for that sort of thing, so you'd need to regulate timing using wait() since I don't think there's a "wait for sound" command.

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2006-09-25 18:46:49 »
Otokoshi:
You might be better served by waiting for a button press instead of trying to pace things from the voice sound.
Apart from waiting for the voice to finish and displaying the text on the screen (highly advisable).

Why? Because some people find it REALLY irritating (this person) when you are stuck in a conversation and someone decides you need to do something.  The options are
pause the conversation? (which few games support)
wait for the next cue (IE when it waits for a button press)
Trust me you do NOT want to try and ram a complete conversation down someone's throat in a game. It may not seem like it but RL interrupts VERY often and seldom at a convienent time.  So save yourself people complaining a lot and just don't do it. LOL.
Movies (3 minutes tops for most game sections) are never long enough in a game to worry about that.  Conversations on the other hand are (30 minutes has been the longest I've suffered through) longer and tend to be highly verbose.

Because of the engines limitations I would lean toward the conservative side in trying such things.

Now for just random sounds such as windows etc it's cool just conversations are going to be quite troublesome.  Most games selectively have voice conversations (IE most dialog is unvoiced). Also the voice is used at the start of the conversation (NWN does this a lot), and that is about it.

Always keep in mind that a feature is only useful if it makes the game more fun to play, not if it makes it feature rich.  The former is Very important new features are a PAIN to implement and may detract from the game in general.  Useless voice acting is a real pain (See 1000 arms).

Cyb

Otokoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2006-09-25 20:50:52 »
Those are many excellent points you've made.  Believe me I would'nt want to sit through an entire game voiced, with no way to skip it or pause it.  I see how leaving the progression to the user would fit the best.  I thought it would just be cool for those climatic parts in the game.  If it did go overboard the new "feature" would be a nuisance.  I liked how an earlier PC title, called Silver, dealt with in-game speech.  I haven't played it in ages. *digs around for copy*

Quote from: Cyberman
Conversations on the other hand are (30 minutes has been the longest I've suffered through) longer and tend to be highly verbose.

Would that game happen to be from the Metal Gear Solid series?  :-D

RW_66

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2006-09-26 00:29:50 »
Actually, the XenoSaga series is WAY worse then even the MGS series (I know that may be hard to believe, but it's true). XS:3 (Als Sprach Zarathustra: Thus spoke Zarathustra) in paticular has over 12 hours of FMVs and dialog. Talk about listening and watching a game, rather than playing it. Hell, XS 1 (Der Wille zur Macht: The Path to Creation) has at least 6-7 hours of FMVs/dialog in it, though you still get at least 40-50 hrs. of gameplay.

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2006-09-26 16:21:36 »
Quote from: Cyberman
Conversations on the other hand are (30 minutes has been the longest I've suffered through) longer and tend to be highly verbose.
Would that game happen to be from the Metal Gear Solid series?  :-D
Xenosaga 1, 2, and 3 as RW_66 has pointed out.  It would be insuferable if it weren't for the fact you can pace it and optionally turn off the voices.
Voice acting is great but needs to be carefully thought out, that's all I'm saying.  In some ways it can ruin a game (1000 arms english version sucks because of the crappy voice acting usage).  An example of good use of voice acting is Soul Reaver. :)

Cyb

RW_66

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2006-09-26 17:41:18 »
I definitely agree that dialog should be well thought out in both placement and content, with paticular attention payed to proper localization and translation. Too often, the translation or syncronization is poor or even completely ignored. Silver Star: Lunar complete is a fairly good example of the average crappy/overly-campy "translations" (and I use that term VERY loosely) of many natively japanese works. However, MGS 2:SS had some excellent translation and voice-acting that really drew you in and furthered both the plot and story (amazing, since Hideo Kojima is hard enough in Japanese!).

I think a further example of excellent voice acting and translation is the americanized Dragon Ball Z series. The really payed close attention not only to conveying the actual information, but also the emotional context in which it was originally delivered. In fact, if anything, the american version is much more serious and less campy than the japanese version. (I know the japanese like their 'corn', though  :-D ).

Otokoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2006-09-26 21:42:21 »
Quote from: RW_66
I know the japanese like their 'corn', though

Grrr... can't argue... it's true!  :-D

Now that I think about it, I really wouldn't want to "mod" so much out of FF7 to eventually ruin it.  I guess adding voice acting to an original game based off of Q-Gears one day would be alright.  If any was added to FF7 it shouldn't be some crappy voiceover or text to speech software.  :lol:

And back on topic, this software rocks!  Some very cool things could be done with this.  Who wants to add some Easter Eggs?!  :-D
« Last Edit: 2006-09-26 21:43:52 by Otokoshi »

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2006-09-26 23:12:49 »
Isnt it just a case of being selective with voice acting?
Key parts/conversations in the game could be voiced.
Some early games on the PSX (Tales of Phantasia/Destiny) / SNES had some voice samples only used at specific moments in the game.

I would recommend parts such as when Cloud faces Sephiroth in the Nebelheim Reactor, When Aeris Dies, in the Temple of the Ancients, etc

Cazador

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2006-09-27 21:37:03 »
<random n00b question>

I really like what this editor is able to do. but the thing is when I use it I have a problem in-game

ok I start by extracting flevel.lpg and uncompressing it with lpg tools...I edit what I want in meteor..open lpg tools create a new flevel from the extracted one

Play FF7 and the exe crashes whenever I try to enter a town or anywhere ( save is currently on the world map)

I think the problem is I have to recompress the field files..considering the changed flevel is twice the size of the original

how do I recompress them?

thanks  :-D

(and I guess I should add that I have only changed dialog so far just to see if it would work....no walkmesh or anything else has changed)

Synergy Blades

« Reply #35 on: 2006-09-27 22:05:46 »
Recompress it with Fice's LZS (FiceLZS on his FF7 Tools page):

lzs.exe -c5 filename filename_comp

This will generate the compressed file you need to reinsert into the LGP. Bit of a pain, but a necessity (for this version at least).

Cazador

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2006-09-27 22:22:46 »
Thank You  :-D

SmasherHell

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2007-04-17 14:53:07 »
Someone could post a new link to download Meteor 0.2, the old one doesn't work...

Thank you =)

squeeble

• GOOGLE GODDAMIT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2007-04-17 22:38:21 »
Hey along the lines of voice acting ingame. Is it possible to change the sounds on the attacks in battle, so that when you attack or get hit you get like a grunt as well as a slash. Also in limit breaks so maybe say sample tifa from KH2 when she screams final heaven so you could have that in a battle??

Ragna

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2007-04-17 22:43:31 »
Sorry, but since I know this program I think it only edit the field level game scripts not the battle game scripts..so..its not possible..I gess..

wowo! Synergy Blades! I really hope youre working on a new release *.*

squeeble

• GOOGLE GODDAMIT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2007-04-17 22:48:35 »
I was speaking along more general lines as in, at all possible rather than, possible with this program.

Ragna

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2007-04-17 22:52:23 »
Sorry then I think I didnt understand well your post^^U (or something..)

supercool330

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2008-01-01 18:24:39 »
The link is down again.  If someone could post a new one it would be greatly appreciated =)

Synergy Blades

« Reply #43 on: 2008-01-01 19:52:17 »
(Post deleted, old link removed. See first post in thread)
« Last Edit: 2008-01-04 19:10:05 by Synergy Blades »

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2008-01-01 20:58:48 »
Aww my hopes were shattered when i read there was no update on it :cry: :-P

supercool330

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2008-01-01 21:14:31 »
Thank you for the quick response.