Author Topic: PS1 Graphics mod for PC/steam version. Is it possible?  (Read 7988 times)

sasukexbox

• View Profile
Maybe its a nitpick but.. i actually like some of the graphics better on PS1.
- No mouth makes Cloud look better.
- Ps1 Avatar Cloud looks like a "I drink milk" type of guy. Instead of the PC/remaster where he doesnt look nearly as cool
- Shadow drop in battle is also better in PS1

I can find some pictures to compare
PS1 and PC/Remaster

PS1 Meny

PC/Remaster meny

PS1 in battle

PC/Remaster in battle

LordUrQuan

• Alpha testing your worst nightmares
  • LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
Re: PS1 Graphics mod for PC/steam version. Is it possible?
« Reply #1 on: 2020-07-25 14:33:11 »
Have you tried ESUI?

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #2 on: 2020-07-25 18:04:20 »
The shadow is virtually impossible. It’s done in a completely different way on the PC. One of the biggest issues with the conversion is the PSX didn’t have partial transparency capability. So fades were done as meshes if transparent pixels. The PC can do transparency and fully used it. I believe this is also partly the cause for the weird mouths on some of the NPCs and the dead-pan eyes of the rest.

sasukexbox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2020-07-25 19:22:41 »
The shadow is virtually impossible. It’s done in a completely different way on the PC. One of the biggest issues with the conversion is the PSX didn’t have partial transparency capability. So fades were done as meshes if transparent pixels. The PC can do transparency and fully used it. I believe this is also partly the cause for the weird mouths on some of the NPCs and the dead-pan eyes of the rest.
I can live without the shadows from PS1 i guess. But Avatar meny fix in PC and face model fix in overhead view (so that it resembles PS1 version mostly. Would that be possible?

sasukexbox

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2020-07-25 19:23:32 »
Sorry for double post. Cloud is only one that needs this fix. Since the others looks the same as PS1

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #5 on: 2020-07-26 14:00:07 »
Removing the mouths would involve finding their mouths%u2019 textures and making them transparent. Not super hard. I guess replacing the avatars would be a similar matter of converting the tim file to a tex file.

sasukexbox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2020-09-12 20:42:23 »
Removing the mouths would involve finding their mouths%u2019 textures and making them transparent. Not super hard. I guess replacing the avatars would be a similar matter of converting the tim file to a tex file.

I am not a modder. But if its possible i would be forever grateful. Its what keeps me back from playing PC versions "or PS4/Switch/Xbox remaster" for that reason

anjlebrill

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2020-10-05 20:42:38 »
nything for the Steam version in existence or in the works that's notable? Anyone have anything they personally use?

Just curious if anything has surfaced since it's Steam release.

mikevincent

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2020-10-24 11:05:38 »
Just emulate the ps1 with retroarch. Native res, no dither and a crt shader beats everything else, if you ask me.