Author Topic: Team America will sue you  (Read 2581 times)

Jari

Team America will sue you
« on: 2007-09-07 22:54:49 »
From BBC:

A US federal judge has ordered Iran to pay $2.65bn (£1.3bn) to the families of 241 marines killed in a 1983 bombing of their Beirut barracks.

The ruling allows nearly 1,000 family members and survivors to try to claim Iranian assets from around the world.

From BBC:

A US court has ordered Sudan to pay $8m (£4m) to the families of 17 marines who died in a suicide bomb attack on the USS Cole warship in Yemen in 2000.

Quite peculiar, that. Here I was thinking that no court - with the exception of the International Court of Justice and International Criminal Court - holds jurisdiction over a foreign sovereign state. Even those rule over countries that allow them - one of the most notable exceptions being Ira... Afgh... Oh, I'm sorry, it was United States, after all.

Of course, having a federal court that apparently can rule over other countries, why would United States need ICJ or ICC? :-D

Or wait! Perhaps this is merely an issue with the geography skills of Federal Court judges. Maybe the poor chaps just haven't realized that neither Sudan or Iran are parts of United States. Could be that.

Hmmm...

I know! It's new kind of doctrine for the US military! It goes like this: "Surrender or die! We will win! And just in case we won't, we will sue you! It's illegal for you to strike back!". Yeah, that must be it. :)

Of course nobody will be getting money in either of the cases, but that's not the point; it's rather outrageous - if not an indication of mental illness - for a court to assume it holds such jurisdiction.

Perhaps everyone else should start putting Dubya on trial for war crimes. Getting arrested and sentenced to life in prison - most civilized countries don't have death penalty, you see - upon arrival would put a damper on anyone's travel plans.

spyrojyros_tail

Re: Team America will sue you
« Reply #1 on: 2007-09-10 11:07:04 »
Perhaps everyone else should start putting Dubya on trial for war crimes.

I second that! This is so retarded that its funny, how much do you think the entire world can sue the United States for the current illegal war and the psychological impact it has on every single person? Loads ill bet!! I need some ding ding!

Quite peculiar, that. Here I was thinking that no court - with the exception of the International Court of Justice and International Criminal Court - holds jurisdiction over a foreign sovereign state.

What?! Thats dangerous thinking! Your going against rulings at a time of war, where is your IP address? Im contacting the department of homeland security now. How dare you question our glorious future leaders! *coming again to save the muthaf*cing day yeah!*

I read a bit on the BBC site

"This is a sense of victory, of winning a battle," said Paul Rivers, who was a 20-year-old marine on the second floor of the barracks when it exploded.

"When we win is when we collect, when we make them pay for what they did," he said.

When we win, is when we collect. Wow inspiring words from a pawn. Im sure when he gets all that money (not going to happen you idiot grunt), he will really feel like he won something! Anyway if he really wants to win something, how about suing your own government? Ignoring warnings and portraying to the mass media that "no one knew anything", heh that would be a real victory!

Borde

• View Profile
Re: Team America will sue you
« Reply #2 on: 2007-09-11 11:15:34 »
Yeah, It's interesting to see how how you can deny the International Court the legitimacy to judge people all around the world and still try to borrow it for a single nation. Oh well, I supose no one can blame them for trying. I don't think they are going to get anywhere though.