Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Multiple mods and Modding Framework-The Reunion [R06f]  (Read 3007674 times)

pigmonkeys1

• View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Multiple mods - The Reunion (R05c)
« Reply #3700 on: 2017-07-02 13:33:57 »
Sorry if this is covered somewhere else in the thread, have tried search.

Is there a fix for the double input that occurs when in menus. For example, if I do a quick down + circle, the game will receive 2 downs and a circle. Basically forces playing very slowly which really harms the experience and has caused me to die in 1 battle so far!

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3701 on: 2017-07-02 16:08:56 »
If you're using 60fps battles, that's simply how it is. That's how fast it is on PSX and that's how fast it has to be - since input is refreshed 60 times a second.  I've never had any problem pressing down in menus - unless you are using some other mod or 7h that has messed something up.

pigmonkeys1

• View Profile
« Reply #3702 on: 2017-07-02 19:39:51 »
I'm not sure I understand, if this is simply how it is you should have the same problem, but you say you don't ? (I'm not sure why the framerate would affect inputs either, maybe someone can explain)

The down + circle was just a common example, it appears to affect all input in the normal menu and the menu in battle, the common input at any point being a direction followed by circle. If circle is pressed too quickly (not superhuman speed... I'm just playing normally) after a *single* direction press, the game will reflect *two* direction presses followed by a circle press, making me select the option below/above the one I should be on.

edit: not using any other mods

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3703 on: 2017-07-02 21:00:25 »
Since input is polled on each frame, 60fps will have four times the number of cursor movements and sensitivity compared with the PC original of 15.

I have never heard of your problem in regards to what you mentioned though.  It is not a Reunion issue. It could be your joypad or something else related to your set up.

pigmonkeys1

• View Profile
« Reply #3704 on: 2017-07-02 22:05:08 »
Since input is polled on each frame, 60fps will have four times the number of cursor movements and sensitivity compared with the PC original of 15.

I have never heard of your problem in regards to what you mentioned though.  It is not a Reunion issue. It could be your joypad or something else related to your set up.

Think I understand but as you say this should not result in actual repeated input from a single button press. I considered my controller but ruled this out after confirming it is the same using keyboard. Will try to think of other possible causes.

:edit: With some more testing it's actually happening when the directional key is still being held down when the confirm key is pressed, it doesn't happen however fast the confirm key comes if the directional key is depressed first. Not so bad as I can at least play fast again.
« Last Edit: 2017-07-02 22:12:37 by pigmonkeys1 »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3705 on: 2017-07-02 22:27:16 »
It's possible to make the main battle menu only allow single inputs, but this won't help you with sub menus.  It's v likely entirely due to your controller + the extra sensitivity.  You'd get the same problem on the PSX. Nobody else is having this issue - me neither, so it's definitely not a problem.

pigmonkeys1

• View Profile
« Reply #3706 on: 2017-07-02 23:33:45 »
As I said, not an issue with the controller, confirmed with keyboard.

:edit: nevermind, uninstalled the mod and it's still happening. Sorry!

After googling outside the scope of just this mod I found some others on steam reporting the same thing. Have an inadequate solution in place atm involving Big Picture Mode's button remapping feature used to have the dpad buttons be a 'start press' instead of a 'regular press', this forces each dpad button press to act as a single arrow key press and prevents repeated press on holding the button. Just means I can't use the Dpad in the field (or fast-scrolling through items by holding button), which I would prefer, but I can make do with analogue sticks for that.
« Last Edit: 2017-07-02 23:59:42 by pigmonkeys1 »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3707 on: 2017-07-02 23:59:52 »
I do wish people would check that the problem is with this mod before posting. As I told you earlier, it couldn't be the fault of this mod - or I'd have the issue and so would thousands of others.  It only wastes everyone's time.  Especially mine. And I have enough to do at the moment. Believe me.
« Last Edit: 2017-07-03 00:02:11 by DLPB »

August

• View Profile
« Reply #3708 on: 2017-07-03 01:14:02 »
On the subject of input, it's great to see soft reset on PC at last, but the implementation of it has me stumped. I've tested it at length (on keyboard), all I can say is that it's not sufficient to simply hold down L1, L2, R1, R2, Select, and Start as in psx. Most of the time it will do nothing, unless I press and release the buttons in a very particular way. If you could explain what is actually going on under the hood, it would be appreciated.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3709 on: 2017-07-03 01:25:54 »
It doesn't exist at all in PC, so all related functions are long gone. The PSX likely has some sort of mechanism to reset games that could be called by any game.  Obv a PC game does not. Whatever the case, I reverse engineered exactly how ff7 changes module and forced to the credit module. Pressing all buttons is sufficient. In PSX, I think they need to be held too.

My version requires that select is held FIRST (I think). Then the other buttons pressed.  I always use Hold select + Press  when dealing with my built in short cuts.  This may not be the case with R06. I am not sure. There have been too many changes.
« Last Edit: 2017-07-03 01:27:36 by DLPB »

August

• View Profile
« Reply #3710 on: 2017-07-03 01:57:30 »
In R05c at least it makes no difference whether select is held first or not, but releasing R2 or L2 (mapped to Num 1 and Num 7 in this case) when all others are held usually does the trick, but only if the game is already in fast forward mode. Maybe. I still haven't figured out what exactly causes it to succeed or fail.

For what it's worth, I dug out a Logitech PS2-style controller and so far the reset succeeded every time, exactly as it worked on psx.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3711 on: 2017-07-03 02:01:07 »
Good. Keyboards don't work like joypads anyway,. Many can't take 6 simultaneous inputs.

August

• View Profile
« Reply #3712 on: 2017-07-03 02:26:00 »
Fair enough, although this keyboard at least (Logitech G105) is rated to register up to 6 simultaneous inputs. Hopefully others can provide feedback in the future to corroborate what is going on.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3713 on: 2017-07-03 02:33:00 »
The keyboard and controller both internally use the exact same functions and values with ff7 up to 2 bytes (So Menu (triangle in ps1 default) has the value 0x10 with keyboard or controller, for example). So, at this point, I'd be very surprised if it was anything other than a keyboard issue. But if the issue exists with R06, I will look at it and make sure there isn't a hidden surprise.
« Last Edit: 2017-07-03 02:35:33 by DLPB »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #3714 on: 2017-07-03 23:17:42 »
Many keyboards with anti-ghosting features only apply it to the main letters and not to the numpad. These rollover problems are inherent in the USB spec and difficult to avoid with any keyboard that does not come with its own drivers, but even with drivers it can be an issue depending on how they've implemented their fix. Frankly, I wouldn't trust a keyboard to get this right even if it advertises no ghosting features unless it promises NKRO (n-key rollover), or unlimited keys at once, such as the Sidewinder X4. Any less, and they've gone about it the wrong way.

damerell

• View Profile
« Reply #3715 on: 2017-07-05 14:41:56 »
Hello, and thank you for The Reunion. I didn't really expect to be replaying FF7 again, but this has refreshed my interest. Two things, however:

I had a bit of trouble chasing down a copy of Aali's custom driver. The backup.ninjaloot.se link in the thread here is dead. I wonder if it's possible to (get permission to?) package it with the Reunion, please?

I've checked the Reunion Database for this one, but apologies if I've missed anything. In Sector 7 after the first raid, the chap downstairs from the Beginners' Hall refers to his "buddy on the second floor". Since I haven't selected American English, should this not be "first floor"?

ETA: Also, in the Beginners' Hall, in "Checking current status", Cloud explains the Limit Break bar while we're looking at the status screen - which Menu Enhancement has removed the Limit Break bar from.
« Last Edit: 2017-07-05 15:20:52 by damerell »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3716 on: 2017-07-05 15:16:45 »
All floors conform to american standards since changibg them would be a hassle and thats also what the japanese is. Just imagine thats how things are on their planet

damerell

• View Profile
« Reply #3717 on: 2017-07-05 15:21:51 »
All floors conform to american standards since changibg them would be a hassle and thats also what the japanese is. Just imagine thats how things are on their planet

Now I think about it, of course the Shin-ra building has a bunch of floor numbers in the graphics, so I see now it's uncorrectable. Fair enough.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3718 on: 2017-07-05 15:44:59 »
Cloud explains the Limit Break bar while we're looking at the status screen - which Menu Enhancement has removed the Limit Break bar from.

The limit bar still exists on the limit screen - but I guess I should clarify that since he's looking at the status screen.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3719 on: 2017-07-07 05:01:41 »
Aside from disabling audio functions that are still in there but no longer do anything, I'd say the audio module and sfx replacement is finished. I am going to fix up some of the music loops too.  Certain ones have a very small click sound because I was not originally using software to get a perfect zeroed loop point.

A lot of these now redundant functions are either creating and destroying threads for dsound, or dsound calls regardless.  I'll need to make sure they're all disabled I think to be on the safe side. 

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3720 on: 2017-07-08 04:34:29 »
Can anyone confirm that Music 15 (Sato.wav) and Music 97 (Heart.wav) are not used?

The identical Heart SFX is used, but I don't see the music ever set.  Same with Sato.wav.

65 Wind.wav is used numerous times in the game.
88 Sensui.wav is used in the Submarine game

Cert Serth

• View Profile
« Reply #3721 on: 2017-07-11 01:21:17 »
Can anyone confirm that Music 15 (Sato.wav) and Music 97 (Heart.wav) are not used?

The identical Heart SFX is used, but I don't see the music ever set.  Same with Sato.wav.

65 Wind.wav is used numerous times in the game.
88 Sensui.wav is used in the Submarine game
Heart is used sparingly. If it's used as a sound effect when Cloud's flashback shows Zack going after Sephiroth in the Jenova room and when Cloud looks into the headless Jenova tank in the Shinra building, then it's probably a safe bet that it isn't used.

As for Sato.wav, well I've never heard it at any point in the game in any version of the game. Unless anyone else knows, I'm very confident that it goes unused.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3722 on: 2017-07-11 02:11:19 »
There are other places... like cargo ship.  But that one is effect not music.

Godlift

• View Profile
« Reply #3723 on: 2017-07-12 21:43:13 »
Hi does anyone happen to have a copy of [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Frame Limiters + 60FPS Battles (L02). I am hoping to use the menu overhaul from r03e while using the fps patch from the later versions of reunion. I would appreciate the help!

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=17137.0

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3724 on: 2017-07-12 21:59:48 »
I wouldn't recommend it.  I'd just wait for my DLL and R06 which should do the business.