Author Topic: [FF7PC-98] Retro Field Model Update (2012-09-01)  (Read 16776 times)

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
[FF7PC-98] Retro Field Model Update (2012-09-01)
« on: 2012-09-02 00:54:48 »

This basically began as a spontaneous decision to try to remodel every main character's field model based on something Apz Freak demonstrated quite a while ago (The higher poly model with the retro shading) as I liked the look of it and I figured texturing is half the battle when modelling anyway. As it turned out, it was slightly more work than I anticipated, and so unless there's a major outcry I probably won't go any further than this.

But yeah, he works in-game (even blinks and everything!) so you can go download it if you're into things like this. Or not  8).

http://www.mediafire.com/?thfoij359ban3bi

Instructions:
1. Drag Contents of Zip file into /~FF7 Directory~/Direct/Char/
2. Yeah, it's that easy.
« Last Edit: 2014-07-19 18:19:21 by Covarr »

apz freak

• View Profile
Re: Retro Field Model Update
« Reply #1 on: 2012-09-02 01:17:52 »
Hey man, I am all FOR this!!! If you could get to each of the major characters that'd be quite enough, but it'd totally be interesting and worth it (in my opinion)

And yes... I did kinda think about it, but didn't do much with it. I'd say carry on man! I'll be lookin forward to it!

edit: Some suggestions. When I did it, I applied alpha/color key/transparency(Whichever terminology you perfer) to the eye polygon around the eye texture. I'm not entirely sure if that's what you did or not... But that's the way it is on the original. Also I'd pull the eyes slightly apart to look less cross eyed.

And I appreciate duplicating the lighter grey accents to the shoulder armor and right braclet  ;D But it honestly isn't necessary, it was just the way my texture map was laid out and I'd have had to redo the UV coordinates to fix it, but it was just for a laugh anyways so I didn't bother. But if you like it better that way then run with it!  ;)
« Last Edit: 2012-09-02 01:24:51 by apz freak »

Salk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2012-09-02 07:26:06 »
I am also very interested!

I always wanted to have the original chibi models upgraded! Please do not dismiss this initiative.

BlitzNCS

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #3 on: 2012-09-02 11:47:35 »
Wow, some genuine interest, and a first from the model's inspirator, no less!

When I did it, I applied alpha/color key/transparency(Whichever terminology you perfer) to the eye polygon around the eye texture. I'm not entirely sure if that's what you did or not... But that's the way it is on the original.

Yeah, the eyes were what I spent the least amount of time on. I'd planned to do it that way but because PSD alpha doesn't work in 3DSmax I ended up just using skin tone around the eyes as that looked the best at the time without exporting every time I wanted to preview :P However, this affects shading as the eyes and face are on two separate groups. Shouldn't be a hard fix though.

And I appreciate duplicating the lighter grey accents to the shoulder armor and right braclet  ;D But it honestly isn't necessary, it was just the way my texture map was laid out and I'd have had to redo the UV coordinates to fix it, but it was just for a laugh anyways so I didn't bother. But if you like it better that way then run with it!  ;)

Well, since I was using the original material colours I was limited to only two greys anyway. Besides, I like the way yours turned out, so why not!

I guess I'll give some of the others a go then, thanks.

Wolke

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2012-09-04 04:54:20 »
Looks good in game, nice upgrade does not look out of place.

ajthedj747

• Looking Forward to 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2012-09-04 11:00:59 »
Nice Work. Are you going to do a Battle.LGP Cloud Model, @Wolke?

Wolke

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2012-09-04 15:51:23 »
This is not my work, its by BlitzNCS.I just posted some in game screens.

BlitzNCS

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #7 on: 2012-09-04 17:51:03 »
Nice Work. Are you going to do a Battle.LGP Cloud Model, @Wolke?

There'd be no point in it really. There's already an original-style Battle model at a higher polygon count in the battle LGP that's used for the final battle. I'm sure there's a mod that replaces the normal cloud with it too. If not, I think the files begin at STAA (unless that's Barret?). Just rename the all to RT** and stick them in /direct/battle/.

syntax error

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2012-09-04 19:11:17 »
I like the idea behind your mod.

ajthedj747

• Looking Forward to 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2012-09-04 19:23:27 »
This is not my work, its by BlitzNCS.I just posted some in game screens.
Oh woops, my bad. I guess @BlitzNCS has a point. Just an idea.

Salk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2012-09-05 04:37:53 »
BlitzNCS, the more I look at that model, the more I like it. Looking forward to the next ones!  :-)

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2012-09-11 02:34:24 »
BlitzNCS, just curious if you're using a modeling program, or kimera to add the polys for the models? Or a modeling program? Also, any new snippets of new models you've done? :D

BlitzNCS

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #12 on: 2012-09-11 18:01:10 »
I'm a 3DSMax veteran1 of a few years who's just found out that as a student I can own a full copy of it for absolutely (legally) free ;D . Bit of pointless info, but yeah, I tend to use Max for things like this. In fact, if you look at the files, you'll see that it's all properly2 UV mapped and has two completely unnecessary 512*512 texture files (and one 256*256 texture) as I went a bit overkill, and in the future the model can be textured to however I (or anybody else who can be bothered to texture it properly, you have my permission) wants.

I've been working full time up until I go off to university next month, So I've made little to no progress and I have no updates for you (Unless you want to see Barret's upper arms. Which is fine really, I won't judge.) hence why I released just the one model on its own.

But yeah, hope to have more time to work on this soon. As you may be able to tell, it's a little harder to pull off properly3 than it looks!

1I have no actual sense of what I'm doing.
2I have no actual sense of what I'm doing.
3I have no actual sense of what I'm doing.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2012-09-11 18:57:19 »
Well i can't model or really texture at all. But if you need any type of tester i'm up for doing the grind! though i don't think models really need testing..

I SHOULD just learn to model.. I'll ask my girlfriend to teach me i guess :D

apz freak

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2012-09-12 11:35:12 »
I'm a 3DSMax veteran1 of a few years who's just found out that as a student I can own a full copy of it for absolutely (legally) free ;D . Bit of pointless info, but yeah, I tend to use Max for things like this. In fact, if you look at the files, you'll see that it's all properly2 UV mapped and has two completely unnecessary 512*512 texture files (and one 256*256 texture) as I went a bit overkill, and in the future the model can be textured to however I (or anybody else who can be bothered to texture it properly, you have my permission) wants.

I've been working full time up until I go off to university next month, So I've made little to no progress and I have no updates for you (Unless you want to see Barret's upper arms. Which is fine really, I won't judge.) hence why I released just the one model on its own.

But yeah, hope to have more time to work on this soon. As you may be able to tell, it's a little harder to pull off properly3 than it looks!

1I have no actual sense of what I'm doing.
2I have no actual sense of what I'm doing.
3I have no actual sense of what I'm doing.

Ah! I see, you're in the same boat as me  ;) Yeah I only learned I can legally own 3DS as a student not that long ago... I've been doing the trial and reformat for ages (Always getting the newest version before I want it... Some things get better some things get broken... The new UV system in 2012 has major problems that tick me off something fierce... But I've learned to work around it)

But yes boys and girls. If you wanna learn to model... The industry uses 3DS Max and Maya... I'm proficient in both (Although I prefer Max because I kinda grew up with it since Max 5 in 2003) Blender is free but friggin hard to use... If you wanna get into the field, Max and Maya's the way to go. If you wanna do movies like Shrek or any Pixar film... Learn Maya. The film industry doesn't recognize Max because it's too "cheap" (The is first hand information from a lighting director on Avatar I met, and a match-moving/plate animator who taught 4 of my classes) And by "cheap" they mean literally cheap. Since it doesn't cost as much the investors turn their noses up at it even though the same exact level of quality is capable in both, only the interfaces, workflow, and types of rendering are different. But the same output is absolutely possible. Same with game studios almost... If the studio has more money it's more likely to be a Maya-centric pipeline. Sony's DC Universe Online has a Maya pipeline, and so does everything at id Software. But at least when I worked at Sony, they had Max for me to use  ;D

My advice... If you wanna learn modeling don't waste time with interfaces that you're unlikely to encounter in the field. It's not about "this" being better than "that"... No... The same's possible on almost any software package with varying degrees of features and workflows.

Learn 3DS Max or Maya, it'll be worth the effort. Then if you wanna do this kinda stuff. Then learn UV unwrapping techniques, and for more advanced users, learn Z Brush or Mudbox sculpting and then something called "Retopology" or "Retopo" for short. Try to model in flowing lines, this is called "edgeflow" but video games don't need perfect edgeflow, as long as areas like the elbow and knee have clean geometry that deforms well. Then comes the normal map baking, and the assets that can generate to make a basic texture map more awesome.

It's not easy, and it's a LOT of work. But if you're the kind of person that thinks it's fun... Then it's for you! Because in the industry you are gonna WORK ALLOT so you better like it  :P That's why there's allot of folks with art degrees who just dropped out... They just wanted to be a part of it, but didn't have any passion for it. What a shame... (Also because both film and video game industries are filled with folks like that... and it makes it hard to get a job unless you are DAMN good at what you do)

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #15 on: 2012-09-12 12:54:34 »
Nice advice! Thank you APZ!

DEFIANT

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2012-09-14 23:14:44 »
Any plans to add a Buster Sword on his back? That would complete this style, as I can't find a Chibi Cloud with sword on his back anywhere.