Author Topic: FF7 Music behaviour poll  (Read 3710 times)

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
FF7 Music behaviour poll
« on: 2014-07-25 18:43:30 »
Hey folks, was hoping you could help me out by lending your opinions on something.

I've got two flevels for my mod; one has normal music behaviour; battle theme plays, victory fanfare plays, no change. But the other doesn't play the battle theme or victory fanfare for random encounters on field screens. The idea was to make each area's encounters feel more specific to the area you were in and cut down on fatigue from hearing the battle/fanfare too many times. This isn't used for world map or boss battles (some other encounters are also exempt). It can be seen/heard here at 7:12 - http://youtu.be/lYk5rzkJ-7k?list=UUcK6xpSx8SGvmRlETyH5bug

At the moment I'm about to go ahead with some extensive flevel changes to make v1.2 of the NT Mod which would be making use of 7H and breaking the flevel.lgp down into it's constituent files so it's easier to distribute and blend with other mods. Thing is, it'll get trickier to support both flevels the further I go so I want to drop one of them in favour of the other. I'd like to keep the Field Music one but I imagine that the majority of people would prefer the regular music behaviour. Got a strawpoll set up here:
http://strawpoll.me/2191469

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Re: FF7 Music behaviour poll
« Reply #1 on: 2014-07-25 20:37:33 »
Personally I say use the non-battle BGM one
There are plenty of mods that keep the regular battle bgm and so far only one other mod I know of that changes the music at all (and that's N7)
You could borrow my music script and just adjust it to make it a chance of X out of Y to not play battle music if you want a middleground.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-07-25 21:11:02 »
I think it needs to be one or the other; it'd be too jarring if it only played sometimes at random. That music changer might be handy for a side-dungeon someone suggested though.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: 2014-07-25 21:23:09 »
Speaking of sidedungeons and music changing
How do you feel about making a dungeon actually halfway music puzzle? I.e. it switches between two musics every X frames and X could be a pseudo random value drived from an array of values checking against your game time seconds. When Music 1 plays regular battles happen, if music 2 plays and the player does X, something bad happens, like much, much harder enemies.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2014-07-25 21:46:39 »
That's a neat idea, I'll probably make a room or two that uses this. 'Safe' music and then 'Danger' music; also, there's two encounter tables so a music change could signify that tougher monsters are roaming about.

Travis

• "I control the world with fear."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2014-07-26 00:36:39 »
I was wondering why I wasn't getting the battle music throughout my playthrough on every screen.

Now I know.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2014-07-26 00:47:57 »
There's an alternate flevel for regular battle music if you prefer it; it's available from the Qhimm thread or the YT video. It installs in the same way as the NT mod.