Author Topic: [WIP] Squall CGI model  (Read 3555 times)

Halfer

• View Profile
[WIP] Squall CGI model
« on: 2015-04-03 13:35:21 »
Hello!

First I want to state that I'm not a graphic artist in any way and I like to do 3d stuff in my free time as a hobby mind. I use Blender with cycles rendering engine to make this right now.

I've been working on this model for a long time, I've got the head model for pretty good state and base models for clothes made in the same time. The reason why it has taken so much time to just make these is that since I'm a beginner I did a lot of mistakes in topologies and such and I had to correct the errors in the same time as i pushed going for next parts. Briefly, I rushed in to work before planning properly (something you don't want to do in 3d modelling, learned it through hard way :D).

So some may ask why I even started doing work of this caliber since I'm a beginner. Well I'm really fascinated of Squall's character (and overally all the FF8 characters and sets) and I wanted to see more CGI stuff like FMV's in FF8. However it has only turned out that the visually stunning models used in FF8 FMV's aren't really used in any other Square games as they were in the game. Yes, there is Dissidia but I don't really like the way they turned Squall visually. So that is why I started to work on this replica model. Also, while right now the purpose is to make Squall's CGI replica, I don't plan to just leave it as that but to hopefully use it for making animations with FF8 setting.

So here are some images of the model I've created so far:

So as you can see there's still a LOT to do and I hope that you can give feedback of this and the most important, point out the errors that I have done and if you have experience maybe help me out with the methods that I should know when making this "huge" project.

I try to keep up with the textures to make a better showcases but right now textures are placeholders.

If you guys want, I can start "blogging" on this thread but only if you guys want to see the progression of this project. I've also thought of asking a helping hands with this project but I don't want to make it a really serious task. So if you have any interest to help in a HOBBY mind, feel free to tell me what is that you want to do for cutting the creating time.
« Last Edit: 2015-04-03 17:17:12 by Halfer »

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
Re: [WIP] Squall CGI model
« Reply #1 on: 2015-04-04 09:29:47 »
Darn this is going to get good! I imagine how will the final outcome be with the proper texturing! :P I have already given my 2 cents on a previous post! Keep it up!
« Last Edit: 2015-04-04 13:08:13 by LeonhartGR »

Halfer

• View Profile
Re: [WIP] Squall CGI model
« Reply #2 on: 2015-04-04 11:37:55 »
Yeah, I noticed the feedback and I'm on it later but there is still some things I need to handle first before touching the jacket and fur (made with particle system) so it doesn't mess up with physics later on. Also worth to point out now is that the hair looks so "woody" now because there is only a texture applied but later on i'm doing bump maps so the texture has some depth on it. Same goes for other textures as well. Right now i'm struggling with belts, after that I need to finish boots. I'll do gloves last in case of modifying hands and fingers.