Author Topic: WinXP + GeForce 2 Mx + FF VIII = Hatred ?  (Read 8957 times)

Heartseeker

WinXP + GeForce 2 Mx + FF VIII = Hatred ?
« on: 2002-01-01 10:44:00 »
Readin' this message you can say only one word "boring". Yep, you'll be right ! But i'am asked by my friends, can anyone give me a proper answer? All persons know about problems with graphics in subj. configuration using last Detonators. Can someone say exactly - what version of drivers can  gamer use to avoin problems. Thanks very much and Happy New Year!!!1  

Darkness

• View Profile
    • http://www.x0r.net
« Reply #1 on: 2002-01-01 15:06:00 »
i didnt think that ff8 ran under XP at all......

Sephiroth 3D

• View Profile
    • ModCitizen 42
« Reply #2 on: 2002-01-01 19:05:00 »
You know... this should probablly be in the tech-help forums... (Don't worry. I'm sure a mod for this forum will move it.)

As for your questions, ntcompatible.com says that FFVIII works with Windows 2000, but I didn't see a listing for WinXP. If you have any other computers without the video card in question & XP, try installing it on that and see if it works. If not, you'll have wait until someone figures out how to fix it, or get around the problem. Otherwise, you know it's your video-card and you can inquire about patchs or video card driver updates.

Other than that, I don't see how we can help you, unless someone else has had experince with this sort of problem...

Sephiroth 3D

"I don't understand..." "You don't have to understand." - Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

Sephiroth 3D.com
[email protected]

Threesixty

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/threesixtyci/
« Reply #3 on: 2002-01-02 08:05:00 »
The geforce patch for FF8 was based on the 6.50 drivers.....don't know about winXP, but with Win98 the 6.50's have no problems whatsoever.

Sukaeto

• View Profile
    • Sukaeto's web server
« Reply #4 on: 2002-01-09 04:36:00 »
The answer to your question probably depends on what GFX card you're using.

If you have a Geforce 2 GTS, I don't know about WinXP yet (haven't played FF8 since I installed it.), but in Win2K, the best drivers seem to be the 12.41's.  Make sure you have 8 bit palletted textures enabled.  (I think the 12.41's have this enabled by default.)

atzn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2002-01-09 20:07:00 »
Well I've tested FF8 under WinXP, rather dodgy if you ask me   -_-
Tried compatibility mode, won't really help....

Using D3D with my GTS Pro seems to create problems (I'm using XP's default driver). Disabling 8-bit palette did help a bit, but background screens are still screwed up.....   :weep:

But..... hehe I got so frustrated that I uninstalled and installed FF8 on my second comp ... which was using Win2000 and Riva TNT... worked fine   :wink:

Bear in mind though, I tried the geforce patch and the latest patch from square, it didn't work well for XP (Buggy graphics,   :naughty: )
And I've also tried RivaTurner.... didn't help for my WinXP system too   :(

Sukaeto

• View Profile
    • Sukaeto's web server
« Reply #6 on: 2002-01-12 05:11:00 »
The XP default drivers?  Bleh!! I didn't trust those.

You should probably take a look here to get the 12.41's:

http://www.3dchipset.com/drivers/official/nvidia/series1xx.shtml

and here for the 6.50's:

http://www.3dchipset.com/drivers/official/nvidia/series6xx.shtml

(thank you, Threesixty, for those wonderful links.)

I know it says there is no downloadable driver for WinXP, just download the Win2K drivers.  The 12.41's definitely work fine with XP (I can vouch for that because I'm using them now.)  I would imagine the 6.50's will work as well.

If you try the 6.50's, I'm pretty sure you want to disable the 8 bit palletted textures in Riva Tuner . . . not totally sure on this one, though.  With the 12.41's, though, you'll want to enable/leave it enabled.  (I think it's enabled by default.)

Sephiroth 3D

• View Profile
    • ModCitizen 42
« Reply #7 on: 2002-01-13 09:19:00 »
Does anyone have one of those new GF3 TI 500 cards? I'd like to know what people think...

Sephiroth 3D

"I don't understand..." "You don't have to understand." - Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

Sephiroth 3D.com
[email protected]

Threesixty

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/threesixtyci/
« Reply #8 on: 2002-01-17 02:23:00 »
One note about Rivatuner....you have to use the correct database for different drivers or the commands don't do anything

CKtalon

• View Profile
    • http://www.ffrc.cjb.net
« Reply #9 on: 2002-01-17 10:26:00 »
WinXP works for FF8 with its default drivers. U dun have to disable any 8 bit palletes for it to work. Tested on a friend's PC, GF 3 ti 200, Win XP. Note that the Geforce patch was applied.
However FF8 has the black patches with 2183 drivers with palletes disabled on WInXP.

btw, the WINXP default drivers really suck..:p

atzn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2002-01-26 21:59:00 »
haha well I dunno then   :wink:
Because when I updated my driver to nVidia.... and ran a video encoding stuff... error... and it was the new driver's fault...(!)
so I revert back to my old drivers (the XP default).

And CKtalon, yeah, ff8 does work with GF2, with 8 bit palletes disabled. But the problem still exists: the black patches!!! @#$%... screw nVidia heh.

I've tried 6.50, hell it worked for FF8, but background kinda screwy a bit (a few lines here and there). It's okay, but... my WinXP turned to be verrrryyy sluggish when I used 6.50. That's why I changed again.....

Geez, I got so frustrated that I played FF8 in software mode.... lol at least it is playable...... (in Disc3 now lol)  :cool:

And oh yeah... did you realise something when you're playing ff8 on WinXP (I'm using Home) ... when you quit (ie hitting Alt-F4), the FF8.exe is still being processed when you press Ctrl-Alt-Del.. weird... does anybody have such experience?........   :isee:

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
« Reply #11 on: 2002-01-30 12:56:00 »
Using a TNT2, I had absolutely no trouble getting FF8 or even FF7 to work in Windows XP.  I just got the patches before I played... I'm not running in comaptibility mode or anything.

Sephiroth 3D

• View Profile
    • ModCitizen 42
« Reply #12 on: 2002-01-30 15:50:00 »
Aaron: What about the chocobo races in FF7? Can you play that with no problems?

Sephiroth 3D

Sephiroth 3D.com
[email protected]
[edited] 135 2002-01-30 16:50

PurpleSmurf

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2002-02-01 22:28:00 »
what the hell is this "compatability mode" i keep hearing about? how do you dis/enable it?

notice: MY 500TH POST!!!! NOW I'M A FREAK!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
[edited] 275 2002-02-01 23:29

Sephiroth 3D

• View Profile
    • ModCitizen 42
« Reply #14 on: 2002-02-02 02:22:00 »
If I remember someone's rant correctly (I'm not saying, more out of forgetfullness than anything else) you right click the program, go to properties, and there's a compatibility tab you can access. That enabled compatibility mode.

Sephiroth 3D

Sephiroth 3D.com
[email protected]

h2opoloplyr_11

« Reply #15 on: 2002-02-11 15:51:00 »
yep... the 12.41 drivers really works like a charm, but dont be fooled cuz my problem with that is the game runs really sssssllllllooooowww. Final fantasy 7 works perfect. i dont think its my system cuz new games like max payne, wolfenstein works really good and fast too. i dont know why ff8 is really slow  -_-

Zophixan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2002-02-12 18:38:00 »
yeah,  I have a ti 500 its great!

snakeye316

« Reply #17 on: 2002-02-18 05:20:00 »
WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THESE GAMES! it just got a A OPEN GEFORCE 2 MX and it wont work  :cry: ca somebody please help me! All i want is to play in 3D is that too much too ask?

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2002-02-19 23:33:00 »
It's called, "nVidia and the rest of the world likes only FPS and non-FF games, and prefers that their hardware don't support certain key FF features".

Sorry, it's a bit of a rant, but that's just about an accurate description as any.

snakeye316

« Reply #19 on: 2002-02-20 07:17:00 »
So my new video card wont improve my gameplay in FF7 at all?
 "nVidia u dirty rat bastards!"  :evil: oh and also will FF9 be comin to PC? (hopefully nVidia will make it compatible)  

Darkness

• View Profile
    • http://www.x0r.net
« Reply #20 on: 2002-02-20 20:54:00 »
the only improvement you will see is likely in the motion of your characters. But thats only if you once had like a 4 mb 3d accelerator.

edit:

ff9 will NOT come to PC
also: nVidia doesnt make game specific patches.
[edited] 249 2002-02-20 21:55