Author Topic: Running an edited scene.bin file on Windows Vista results in chaos.  (Read 3084 times)

vega9000

There are a couple of discoveries so far in replaying the game with an edited scene.bin file.

The first battle with the two MPs[/color]
These guys have been replaced by a Beach Plug outside Costa del Sol.

Boss: Sample HO512/HO512-opt
When the battle starts, I'm put into a fight with a lone Zenene.

Boss: Rufus and Dark Nation
They are replaced by a King Behemoth with Temple of the Ancients background (normally a 3x Ancient Dragon scene).

Midgar Zolom
Is no longer found in the marsh. It is replaced by Rufus and Dark Nation.
You fight Rufus with a team of three as usual, but when Cloud dies, it's Game Over.
Midgar Zolom now resides in the Mythril Mines. In battle, the Zolom loads up on the Shinra building background.

So far, this is all I have found. There may be more problems with the scene data.
If anyone else has experienced similar problems with edited files running on Vista, please get in touch, as it ruins the whole experience.

I really need to know more about this problem.

All help very much appreciated.

- Vega

The modifications:
- Enemies/bosses levels, HP, MP, stats, elemental strengths/weaknesses.
- Items won/stolen/morphed & rates of success.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
This is a wild stab in the dark, but I'd say that this problem might have come about from editing the scene.bin and not updating the kernel.bin. The kernel.bin contains look-up data for the scene.bin file, and when significant changes are made to the scene.bin, that look-up data no longer looks up the right things. Read more here. The problems you are having look a lot like the ones that are described on that page.

BTW, what program did you use to mod the scene.bin file? If you used Hojo, you should you the "update kernel.bin" function whenever you edit anything.

BTW2, I am running this in Vista with a modded kernel.bin without any problems.
« Last Edit: 2009-01-24 19:10:06 by Leighos Kudistos Megistos »

vega9000

I'm unpacking and creating new archives with Scene Reader.

Actual editing is done with Scenester. Are there any bugs in this program?

Thanks for the info.  :-)

Vega

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
So, you need some additional program to update the kernel.bin. Hojo, or this or this or use the search button.