Author Topic: Editing Xbox Controller Buttons  (Read 5788 times)

Granfalloon

• View Profile
Editing Xbox Controller Buttons
« on: 2016-04-29 08:06:11 »
So found .tex files containing the psx buttons and have been poking around and editing the buttons to look like Xbox One controller buttons.

I used Biturn to turn the .tex files into bmps, edited them and converted them back into .tex files and used Makou Reactor 1.7.0 to replace the files in menu_us.lgp but when I load up the game I get messed up text with random letters missing. What am I doing wrong?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: Editing Xbox Controller Buttons
« Reply #1 on: 2016-04-29 13:27:35 »
If you are making these for Reunion, then you'll need to use them with Reunion - and you'll need to use the textures I made before placing your xbox icons over them. That seems to be what you've done above (I can see the lovehearts). But after that, you need to use touphscript (get the latest from the latest post) - and check the readme.  You need to use the tags there - like {T} (triangle) {U} (up)

You can also use BoxFF7 from tools to test your font - but use it on a game that has Reunion R04 installed.

Granfalloon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2016-04-30 05:24:15 »
Thank you very much for the advice! I'll try that.

Granfalloon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2016-04-30 10:27:09 »
So just to clear things up, I am trying to apply xbox1 buttons to Reunion so I am editing Reunion's files.

I've downloaded ToughScript 1.3.1 and read the readme but I'm kind of at a loss. I can dump the script files and see all the script in the text folder of flevel.lgp but my problem, as far as I can see it, stems from the edited .bmp file with the xbox buttons I've edited in over your playstation buttons.

Everything on those .bmp images I've posted earlier appears missing in game, not just the edited xbox buttons, the text and everything else is missing in-game. In FF7Box it shows the script showing up just fine so I'm wondering if this problem actually has to do with any of the scripts dumped from flevel.lgp? Or is it just the way I've converted the .tex files to .bmp and back to .tex and inserted them back made them unreadable in-game some how? Biturn did a good job telling me when formats were readable and convertable and everything seemed to work fine when converting and replacing the .tex files back into menu_us.lgp so I'm at a loss for what to do next. :(

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2016-05-01 20:45:38 »
Just looking at that it appears your tex file has a corrupted pallet, possibly caused by biturn ? a normal .tex file has pallets (basically the same picture in different colours) but if you just convert a tex to bmp you are only doing 1 colour probably, try using a different tool like "textool" and see if that helps.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2016-05-01 21:24:09 »
I've sent IlDucci your way.  If anyone can help - he can.

IlDucci

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2016-05-02 09:09:11 »
Omega tends to mess around with the texture contents (So it'll never be able to do paletized textures unless someone fixes that), but your problem is that you didn't saved the texture as an 8-bit palleted bmp before sending it to Omega. That's what causes the fully black/trasparent texture.

Anyway, here's a way to make a correct duplicate.
 - Export the BMP texture as an 8-bit (256 colors) palletized texture. Make sure you use the original palette (Rip it from an original BMP, exported from TEX via Omega).
 - Save the texture as a new TEX via Image2TEX.exe, not Omega.
 - Use an hexadecimal editor (HxD is freeware, for example) to copy the first 1260 bytes from the original TEX file and overwrite the first 1260 bytes from your edited TEX. Make sure you don't just paste it and make the file larger.
 - Test the texture and the palettes with Omega.

That should do the trick. I personally like to paste stuff with TileMolester, but that's another valid approach, if you know what are you doing with palettes.

Granfalloon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2016-11-12 13:03:47 »
So it's been a while...
I did take all the advice IlDucci offered and it did help a little but I ultimately got very, very frustrated and quit for months. As I'm now cleaning things out I've remembered the old project and here were my results;

(some buttons appear cut off because these are old sprite attempts, new ones should be fixed)
As you can see the letters actually show up now but only in greyscale and I'm not sure why. I could not get TileMolester working and everytime I thought I was getting closer only led me to these results. At this point it's been so long I don't remember all the methods I tried but I did try a lot with every suggested conversion program. I'm clearly close but something about how I was either saving/constructing/converting the .bmp file is not right.

Here are the finished edited xbox1 layout buttons I've made:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t8o06cf47s485qh/usfont_a_h.bmp?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lqgzhdzcjhcj7nx/usfont_a_l.bmp?dl=0

If anyone can figure out the proper conversion method and insert them into menu_us.lgp and toss it up I'd be very grateful. I'd even offer to make buttons for the 360 pad if someone can figure it out. Thanks for the help anywho DLPB and IlDucci.