Author Topic: [Tutorial] Covarr's New FF7Music Tutorial  (Read 202639 times)

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
Re: [Tutorial] Covarr's New FF7Music Tutorial
« Reply #275 on: 2010-04-05 14:11:25 »
Well, I did not install ff7 remix, I only took the "ficedula" folder from it. And I've already tried to recopy it, but it didn't fix it.
I see, well if the in game music isn't being muted, that means you probably uninstalled Aali's driver. Run FF7Opengl.reg in your ff7 folder to re-install it and keep in mind that every time you run FF7Config (with Aali's driver v0.7.3b and earlier) you'll uninstall it again.

As for FF7Music not working...are you sure you're running it properly? It doesn't start up by itself (if you're not using ff7remix), you have to run FF7Music in parallel with FF7 to have it work.

Naast

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: 2010-04-05 14:25:58 »
I'm using driver v0.7.5 so it should work I guess. And I'm running FF7Music properly: I launch ff7 via FF7Music.
Here's what I get in ff7music's window
Code: [Select]
DataPath is C:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\ficedula\
Init patches
Reading ini...
Parsing paths... -currently E:\ff7\mp3\
psf\
C:\mp3\mp3\
C:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\ficedula\
.\

File search paths:
   E:\ff7\mp3\
   psf\
   C:\mp3\mp3\
   C:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\ficedula\
   .\
Files count: 95
Patch init done
----------------------------------------------
WM_ACTIVATEAPP

INITIALIZE DD/D3D START

WM_ACTIVATEAPP

WM_ACTIVATEAPP

WM_ACTIVATEAPP

WM_ACTIVATEAPP

END UNINITIALIZE DD

WM_ACTIVATEAPP

Should I copy the APP.LOG?

Edit: Tried with v0.7.6b driver and it didn't fix it.
« Last Edit: 2010-04-05 14:38:48 by Naast »

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: 2010-04-05 14:45:43 »
Erm, why is it trying to find the mp3's in your E: drive? Is that where they're supposed to be? Oh, and whenever you download another version of aali's driver, the midi mute option is going to be commented out by default. You have to go into the config file and un-comment that option (remove the '#') to turn it on.
« Last Edit: 2010-04-05 14:54:30 by titeguy3 »

Naast

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: 2010-04-05 16:35:49 »
Yes, my musics are on my E: drive (and I copied them on the C: driver later to see if it fixes anything).

I don't see the midi mute option in the config file, but I found this line
#music_plugin = plugins/ff7music.fgpI don't have ff7music.fgp, is it normal  ???

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: 2010-04-05 16:59:36 »
Yes, my musics are on my E: drive (and I copied them on the C: driver later to see if it fixes anything).

I don't see the midi mute option in the config file, but I found this line
#music_plugin = plugins/ff7music.fgpI don't have ff7music.fgp, is it normal  ???
erm, uh, it should come with Aali's driver and be in your plugins folder... methinks you either didn't extract it properly or you just aren't looking hard enough, but yes, that's the right line delete the # and everything should be fine.

Naast

• View Profile
« Reply #280 on: 2010-04-05 17:49:05 »
You're right, it was on the plugin folder. I didn't look in there ^^ It works now, thanks a lot  ;D

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: 2010-04-05 18:07:33 »
You're right, it was on the plugin folder. I didn't look in there ^^ It works now, thanks a lot  ;D

No prob!  ;)

VampyreStuart

« Reply #282 on: 2010-04-19 18:24:13 »
I'm unsure from the initial post.

If I follow the instructions do I need to download the mod and use my bought version of the soundtrack or does the modification have the soundtracks in it?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: 2010-04-20 01:06:00 »
This file DOES NOT include music files. It DOES include presets for Final Fantim's remastered version of the OST as well as the PSF version that can be found at zophar.net.

If you want it to sound just like the PSX version, I'd strongly recommend using the PSF files, they loop MUCH better than the CD soundtrack, and sounds about the same. It can be found here. The whole download is less than 1MB, so it's REALLY fast to download.

If you do want to use the CD soundtrack, or if you want to use any other custom music, you'll have to add the files to FF7Music manually.

I would have liked to put in a preset for the official OST, but there's no way to be sure what the files will be named when a person rips it themself, because different software will give it different filenames.

terrabrake

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: 2010-05-03 18:05:10 »
I've tried this wonderfull program. Here what happened, not good things  :P

First I've tried with remastered music, I've followed every single step of the tutorial. But when I've launched the game, the beginning movie music was the original midi (I selected the "mute midi" feature). Out of the train, when the real game begins, the remastered music has started, but it didn't work right. It stopped and restarted, and often seemed as "disturbed". Anyway, any theme played didn't last too much, it could restart in any moment.

Arriving to the boss battle with the scorpion in mako reactor, the beginning movie music started, it wasn't too good for the atmosphere! ;D

I stopped playing, I would have liked to try with psf music, but troubles weren't finished. Executing FF7Music, OstRE and another profile (not PSF) were vanished, and the paths for the two files "mad" and "wave" (sorry but I don't remember well their names, at the moment I've unistalled everything) had been resetted. But the worst thing is that if I tried to resume those paths where the file were (by clicking on the button near the file paths), the program simply quit.

Not even with a clean re-install of the game the problem stopped. This is the most surprising thing for me. Deleting everything and re-extracting the FF7Music files into FF7 folder hasn't worked! Everytime I do that, after launching FF7Music I see the resetted paths and OstRE/""the other one" profiles vanished. I have thought that some data was stored somewhere else (eg into system registry) but I haven't found anything.

I don't know what to do. Cannot find a solution.... someone help me!

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: 2010-05-03 19:26:45 »
I'm going to guess you're using Windows Vista or 7, this seems like a problem related to virtual store. I'm not entirely sure how to fix it.

terrabrake

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: 2010-05-03 20:31:55 »
No, I'm using Windows XP, I will try everything from the beginning but I fear the result'll be the same. In some way, even if I delete every FF7Music file and reextract it into FF7 folder, everything is still messed up.

First time you hear about this CHAOS? Any idea?
« Last Edit: 2010-05-03 20:34:33 by terrabrake »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: 2010-05-03 23:12:00 »
I have a few ideas. Take screenshots of all the config tabs in FF7Music, I might be able to get something from that.

terrabrake

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: 2010-05-04 07:12:41 »
Well it seems was my fault, I'd mistakenly set FF7Music.exe to W98 compatibility   :roll:

Everything now works fine, only one question: what is supposed to be played at the first boss battle with the robot scorpion? It starts the bombing mission theme, and I don't think it's the right track. Have I to modify some filenames?

therage800

• View Profile
    • TheRage800
« Reply #289 on: 2010-05-04 07:18:05 »
No, that's the right track  ;)

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: 2010-06-05 02:26:13 »
Is your tutorial 100% now?   If so the FF7 Music sticky could sure use a replacement.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: 2010-06-05 02:38:34 »
It's been 100% for a while now. I may add screenshots in the future, but it should work just fine as is. I haven't been informed of any bugs in it in quite some time, and I've even used the tutorial myself on a fresh install of Windows with no problems. Only problems people have had lately have usually been due to missing a step or something similar.

There are still a few issues with using the Remastered soundtrack with the included ini (which I should probably edit a mention of into the first post), but they're all problems with FinalFanTim's soundtrack that can only be fixed by resplitting his MP3s (specifically, opening and bombing mission need to be split into two separate files).

Also:
Can a mod or admin replace the current FF7Music sticky with this thread? The old one is frankly outdated and incomplete and doesn't address all the problems Vista, 7, and x64 systems have, and it's tiring to dig out the link to this one whenever somebody has a problem.

tl;dr - Yes. For all intents and purposes, it's 100%.

Kein

• View Profile
    • Shin-Ra Inc.
« Reply #292 on: 2010-07-01 20:49:20 »
Umm...

Can someone fix that? Here is a correct link: http://www.covarr.net/storage/ff7musicbundlejan2010.zip

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: 2010-07-01 22:26:58 »
Umm...

Can someone fix that? Here is a correct link: http://www.covarr.net/storage/ff7musicbundlejan2010.zip
Crap. I updated the bundle to include out_ds.dll, and messed up the address. Surprised nobody noticed.

Also, jan2010 is wrong, it should be june2010 because of the update. I'll fix the post right now.

Kein

• View Profile
    • Shin-Ra Inc.
« Reply #294 on: 2010-07-01 22:46:53 »
Oh, I see, added DirectSound and updated WaveOUT

Btw, you has some errors in your PSF profile, should I post the fixed one?
« Last Edit: 2010-07-01 22:53:27 by Kein »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: 2010-07-01 22:56:06 »
Oh, I see, added DirectSound and updated WaveOUT

Btw, you has some errors in your PSF profile, should I post the fixed one?
Errors, really? Absolutely post a fixed one, then. I'm constantly aiming to make this tutorial as good as possible. :)

Kein

• View Profile
    • Shin-Ra Inc.
« Reply #296 on: 2010-07-01 23:11:49 »
Here is a <comparison>

Here is the <fixed one>

P.S. *tsk*tsk* any idea where to get full PSF, not the mini ones? :o PM me please if you know :P

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: 2010-07-02 20:14:34 »
Wow, I made some pretty stupid mistakes in there! Thanks!

The first post should have an updated copy of the bundle within a half hour.

edit: Why did you change the spaces in Fiddle De Chocobo to underscores? The filename has spaces.

Also, to answer your question about minipsf, that just means (AFAIK) that it's part of a collection. The idea behind the format is that the psflib file contains the instruments, and the minipsf files are essentially midis that use that instrument set. Full PSFs would have a much larger filesize, and offer no audible improvement; the only real advantage would be that they could be distributed individually without the psflib.

And I don't know where to find them.
« Last Edit: 2010-07-02 20:24:51 by Covarr »

Timber

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: 2010-07-02 20:44:45 »
Hi Covarr,

For some reason my FF7Music has stopped playing all music except for the Prelude.
I have never had problems with FF7Music before, and I don't know what has caused this.
I deleted it and started from scratch using your zip, but the problem remains...

Have you ever heard of this happening before?

The funny thing is, I just figured out how to get proper looping music to work in FF7Music, but I can only test it on the prelude lol. :(

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: 2010-07-02 20:57:07 »
Questions:

1. Are you using any mods other than FF7Music, or have you modified any of your game's files manually?
2. Have you tried using the PSF soundtrack?
3. Did you follow EVERY step of this tutorial?