Author Topic: [PSX] BCX Breakdown Tool  (Read 3919 times)

Lazy Bastard

• I may be lazy, but I can...zzzZZZzzzZZZzzz...
    • View Profile
    • GameHacking.org
[PSX] BCX Breakdown Tool
« on: 2016-12-23 14:22:04 »
BCX Breakdown Tool, v1.01
By Lazy Bastard, of GameHacking.org

This is a Python app I wrote - mostly to teach myself Python - which takes a Final Fantasy VII PSX decompressed BCX (field model file for playable characters), and generates a human-readable breakdown of its parts, similar to the breakdowns I've written and shared in the past. This is primarily useful in making graphical model mods for FF7 PSX (swapping parts, animations, and other things from one model to another, or modifying a model's existing assets). For greater compatibility, this was written for Python 2.7. I may use this code as the launching point for creating a few other apps for various FF7 PSX model editing tasks, and if so, I'll likely later unify them into a single tool set for end-to-end modification. Let me know if there's a feature you'd like to see in a future tool.

Usage:
1. Place the desired BCX file in the same directory as bcxbreakdown.py .
2. Decompress the BCX using something like LZSCDec.
3. Run bcxbreakdown.py .
4. When prompted, enter the name of the desired decompressed BCX file.
5. Your BCX breakdown will be generated and saved as BCXBreakdown.txt .

Note:
There are currently no error handling mechanisms and no checks performed; if you pass a non-BCX file to bcxbreakdown.py, you'll get ugly output and possibly strange behavior (loops generating ever-larger output in BCXBreakdown.txt until you kill the task, etc). If there's demand for beautifying this application, I'll do so. Otherwise, I probably won't.

Enjoy.

Download BCX Breakdown Tool from GameHacking.org
« Last Edit: 2018-04-24 18:18:58 by Covarr »

Lazy Bastard

• I may be lazy, but I can...zzzZZZzzzZZZzzz...
    • View Profile
    • GameHacking.org
Re: (FF7 PSX) BCX Breakdown Tool
« Reply #1 on: 2017-09-12 14:30:37 »
Very minor update: default output file name changed to BCXBreakdown.txt .

Currently working on the next piece of this framework, a BSX breakdown tool. Stay tuned.