Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII-2 project  (Read 12195 times)

Myonosken

Final Fantasy VII-2 project
« on: 2005-11-29 20:22:07 »
Well, this is just a little home project Im working on witha  small team, but we could really use you guys' help.
Basically, this is our kind of sequel to FF7 that kind of winds between the other sequels.
Why do one? Well I guess it has always been a kind of dream to do, and we recently managed to get this thing off the ground.
The game is based on the (limited) RMXP engine for right now and features voiceacting during cutscenes- this is where we are getting stuck.
As a whole, we have no experience with 3DS and the like, so we are looking to recruit someone who can work with the FF7 models/ arenas in ANY software. Any number is ok as the more there are the quicker we can finish the cutscenes :D.
We could also do with anyone experienced in editing the FF7 models (not importing them into FF7, just making an edited model) as we have a number of new characters, although these are similar to existing models in the concept art.
Finally, we can use any graphic artists/ musicians who wish to help!

More details on the actual game here:
http://www.rmxp.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27806

Don't forget- those images are from an earlier version, and also we may be moving system to something that supports true 3D.

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 2005-11-30 01:59:23 »
You are pretty much using our tools and square's graphics to make your game.

We don't really make models, we just tell you what format they are in.

I'm kicking this to game tweaking anyway.

Myonosken

« Reply #2 on: 2005-11-30 09:41:03 »
Quote from: halkun
You are pretty much using our tools and square's graphics to make your game.

Yes, I never said I wasn't. Its just a fan game.

We don't really make models, we just tell you what format they are in.

I was just asking as you seem to be the people with the best knowledge of the FF7 models and programs.
[/quote]

Borman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005-11-30 19:42:16 »
Gotta love how everyone assumes RPG Maker is a free program. Damn piraters ruining the chances of a real english version o-o

Myonosken

« Reply #4 on: 2005-11-30 20:29:46 »
What the hell man? Sure I used to use the pirate but try checking out the site before saying that- everyone is now on the LEGAL english version.

Borman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005-12-01 00:09:01 »
How long has it been legal?

And, according to this, it isnt:
RPG Maker 95, RPG Maker 2000, RPG Maker 2003, and RPG Maker 2003, if you're using them in any language other than japanese, ARE ILLEGAL, and you are breaking a major copyright law, punishable by a $50,000 dollar fine.

Don Miguel NEVER got permission from enterbrain to translate and distribute RM2K. it is not freeware. Don Miguel was SUED by enterbrain, but they lost due to a legal loophole in don's native country of russia.

RPG Maker 2000/RM2K was too heavily pirated to ever justify a US release. no one would buy it, and they could easily download it for free.

The piracy of RM2K had a major effect on the US RPG Maker market: Enterbrain pulled the plug on RPG Maker (RPG Tsukuru 3)'s release for the PS at first due to the RM2K piracy. Agetec eventually showed them there was enough demand for the game here in the states, and it was released. however, due to the setbacks, it was no longer realistic for agetec to release RPG Tsukuru 4 for the PS1 over here, and thus it was skipped.

RPG 2003/RM2K3 was being localized by enterbrain before it's japanese release. Enterbrain even sent out announcements of this to the RM2K community, along with questionaires asking how much they'd be willing to pay. the answer came to them in the form of an even larger piracy effort for 2K3 when it was released in japan. thus, the localization was stopped, and its unknown just how far it got.

same thing with XP as 2K3. a US version was hinted at on agetec's forum by an agetec employee. this stopped immediately once it was pirated. its likely long dead now.

Enterbrain even has a page on their website begging for the piracy to stop so that the RPG Maker series can pull a profit and live on. if the piracy doesnt end soon, the series will die. what the piraters fail to realize is that the pirated software is also downloaded by the japanese, which destroys japanese sales as well.

http://boards.ign.com/rpg_maker/b6166/86255395/p1/?0

Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005-12-01 00:16:56 »
Quote from: Borman
Gotta love how everyone assumes RPG Maker is a free program. Damn piraters ruining the chances of a real english version o-o

That pirat was a young man (24 years old) who want to play the game on understandable language. He wrote many petitions, a lot of letters to them, but they say the usual staff - "english spoken people doesnt understand that game, so dont bother any more, we never translate the game." Than he just get japanese copy of the game, translate it by himself, and put it to the internet. Unexpectadly game get tremendous popularity, and ASCII send to him letter that they want (I may be wrong, but something about this) $150 000 for english localisation. Of course he didnt have that money. So he refuse to pay ^_^

ps: Namco suffers the same stupidity. They didn't want to translate Tales of Phantasia because they think it will not fit for bakagaizins. =) They just lower their own profit, because of Dejap translation.

Wintermute

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005-12-01 01:17:46 »
If I understand correctly, he is using RPG Maker XP, which finally got an official English version from Enterbrain, so it could be legal.

RPGillespie

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/rpgillespie6
« Reply #8 on: 2005-12-01 01:35:40 »
RPG Maker XP sucks. I know from experiance, plus, its for noobs. Better to download a free (btw, RPG Maker XP English version is slightly illegal) graphics engine like Ogre3d and program it yourself.

If its RPG Maker support you want, I recommend going here:
http://rpg-maker-downloads.tnrstudios.com/forum/index.php

[edit]
Enterbrain released the english version? I thought it was only *legally* released in Japan.

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
« Reply #9 on: 2005-12-01 02:29:54 »
Googling reveals the (official) English site...
http://www.enterbrain.co.jp/tkool/RPG_XP/eng/

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005-12-01 16:51:27 »
The difference between using Ogre3d and RPGMakerXP is like the difference between the land and the sky.

Sure RPGMaker is VERY novice (I know I made part of an RPG with RPGMaker95), but Ogre3D requires abit too much even if your not a novice!

L. Spiro

• View Profile
    • http://www.memoryhacking.com/index.php
« Reply #11 on: 2005-12-02 02:43:45 »

The Skillster

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005-12-02 09:24:32 »
Anyone know of a game building engine that is at a higher level than RPG Maker series but doesnt require the knowlegde of any programming languages.
Even if it is partly script based I could be willing to learn some

Myonosken

« Reply #13 on: 2005-12-02 09:47:24 »
I don't.

But:

a) Download.com. Enterbrain have released RMXP in English.
b) RMXP can be scripted, you do realise that? It is a lot better than the others in terms of end products.
c) I get the feeling this is going off topic. If noone wants to help i suggest this is just locked  :-?

The Skillster

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005-12-02 09:55:18 »
I dont do the following things:
Models/Animation/Texturing
Music/Sound

Anyway I can help?

Myonosken

« Reply #15 on: 2005-12-02 15:06:37 »
....I don't believe so.

RPGillespie

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/rpgillespie6
« Reply #16 on: 2005-12-02 15:32:38 »
Quote from: The Skillster
Anyone know of a game building engine that is at a higher level than RPG Maker series but doesnt require the knowlegde of any programming languages.
Even if it is partly script based I could be willing to learn some

Well, if its not programming based, how do you plan on implementing your features, etc? Menus? Basically RPG Maker(s), Gamemaker and Hephateus are all menu-operated with minimal scripting. Personally I use Torque as my game engine but it costs about $100...

Damizean

« Reply #17 on: 2005-12-06 15:59:39 »
You're using a Ogre3D interface for the RPG Maker XP without knowledge of 3D? Or you're going to tell me you made a rasterizer? :p

Myonosken

« Reply #18 on: 2005-12-08 13:37:39 »
Err.....Pardon? :o

zero88

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2005-12-10 22:52:31 »
Isn't this kind of like that Chrono Trigger: Resurrection or whatever?

That one was probably more extreme than this, though, because as I recall, they were making Chrono Trigger three dimensional, and the little demo I had played was impressive. Of course, as I am sure you all know, they got a cease and desist.

But still. Same concept. Square-Enix, the bastards they are, would have every right to stop what goes on on these boards as it is, so it isn't a smart idea to make something like that. In fact, this might even be a more favorable target for them since this seems to take Final Fantasy VII and puts it in a relatively new world with a new story. Not a good idea, especially with all of the Advent Children and whatnot up and coming.

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #20 on: 2005-12-11 22:04:47 »
You know, this strikes me....

You see, I've been playing DQ8 as of late and it's pretty much the same thing as CT:R but with dragon quest.

In hindsight I can see why Square shut it down.

griever

« Reply #21 on: 2005-12-13 00:45:45 »
Well i would be interesting in helping out, it would give me good experience for the RPG i'm planning on mkaing this coming year.

I'm experienced with a few thigns such as Bryce 5, 3DSM, Photoshop (You'll need it for textures), and basically any script that has functions etc.... Anyway i have to start somewhere. If you say no, that's fine. If you say yes, there's a problem... hahaha... Erm *cough* yeah the problem is i can't start working until about january because of lack of computer. I have a motherboard which i recently bought but that's about it. But as christmas drizzles closer, i get more money therefore i get a pc.. and now i'm rambling, sorry. XD

- griever

Myonosken

« Reply #22 on: 2005-12-13 09:24:00 »
Great!

Add me on MSN [email protected]

Torrean

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2005-12-13 20:45:33 »
I have exp. with textures on PS and that's it. Can I help in any way?

Koyuki

• View Profile
    • http://someofmystuffdumpedhere.bravehost.com
« Reply #24 on: 2005-12-31 11:51:38 »
This would be awesome... It would be brilliant if you manage to make a sequel... Square wont be in any hurry...(probably never, but u never know)

im going to have a trawl through that thread now..buh bye!!!