Author Topic: Square games framework (or engine).  (Read 3062 times)

Akari

• View Profile
Square games framework (or engine).
« on: 2005-12-19 07:03:23 »
Hello to everyone. I was missing for almost two weeks. I am writing framework (or engine) for xenogears. I could not recreate complete game but it will be easier to work with this framework. Maybe sometimes it will grow for complete engine.

While I working I has thoughts. If we create single framework for all square application and each one write classes to work with data that we already know, it will be easier to create whole engine when we could. We can have part that are the same for all games and the part that work with game specific data. In that case all work will be gathered together and everyone can easily use it.

Here it is http://server.titansoft.ru/akari/xenogears/engine.rar. Please look at this and give your comments. It will be great if we could use all that I already done and develop it further.

Now I create openGL/sdl render (there can be d3d if someone write it), abstraction to work with real file system (right now it platform specific (win32)), class to work with game file system (bin image in real) and few classes to work with xenogears game data (archives, packs and 3d files). Now I'm working on input interface.

You could run this if you have Xenogears game. Just create image (bin/cue) and write path to it in config file.

mirex

• View Profile
    • http://mirex.mypage.sk
« Reply #1 on: 2005-12-19 12:26:01 »
Hi, as I see it needs the game data, so its not working for me. It just crashes in the start.

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005-12-19 18:55:42 »
Hmmm a few things might be helpful.
One a utility to set up the config file correctly.  I've attempted to change the config file several times in order to get the system to start correctly.  It crashes about illegal memory writes instead.
Since not everyone can create bin/cue files, I recomend a more generic interface system. IE detach the CD and allow it to emulate a number of formats.  I have Clone CD not umm Win(XXX) (I forget what makes bin files :D ). The other option is to use Daemon Tools and look for that particular CD Drive (it's guarenteed to support any mode you want :D ).  Any image that can be mounted by Daemon tools will work with your program then.  You could use Mooby CD source code to figure out how to read all the various formats.  My guess is bin is the same as img.  Unfortunately that still doesn't make things work for me :)

Anyhow an easy setup interface/utility might help a bit.

Looks like you put quite a bit of work into this!

Cyb

Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005-12-22 15:44:40 »
I'm still not finished it yet. It's just a scetch for real engine. When I create all parts I start to polish them to work correctly with exeptions and so on.

I just want to all of you to start work together on engine that everyone talk about and hope that thic code might give push to all of you to start writing   8)  8)  8)

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005-12-23 19:40:32 »
Ahh I've already started working on a FF7 Model importer for GLScene. Unfortunately it's badly if at all documented (GLScene).  It's a pretty nice piece of work, but mostly undocumented.
I'm considering using GLScene to display the backgrounds as well, because I can draw the walk mesh information along with the background that way.  Since all the tile information is based on scene coordinates instead of screen coordinates this is not a 'bad' idea. Sprites etc. will need 3d positioning, but no perspective correction. Well that's the idea anyways LOL.

Lately I seem to never have enough time for my projects :-?

It all takes a lot of time :( :lol:

Cyb