Author Topic: Anyone play the Japanese version of FF7 and want to help me translate a text?  (Read 3661 times)

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
I was digging through the text of the original Japanese version and found this line in the battle texts:

正気にもどった
shouki ni modotta
"Consciousness was recovered"

It looks like it should be prefixed by an actor's name/title, but there's no reference to it. There is no text in the English version (maybe not even in the international version), possibly because it never got used in the game. What's further interesting is there is a verb in japanese that means this:

覚める
sameru (or sameta in past form)
"wake up/regain consciousness/sober up"

However, "shouki" can also mean "sanity". Perhaps this was intended to be displayed when a character left the confused status. Anyone have better knowledge of Japanese that can explain the differences in these two?

luksy

• View Profile
正気にもどった is definitely along the lines of "returned to a normal mental state" so I'd agree that it's about losing confusion status. 覚める with no further context usually just means to wake up but it could legitimately be used for the former, just as in English you can use "awaken" figuratively.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
Full disclosure, I wanted to make sure this phrase made sense because I'm trying to make sense of the kanji character set in the Japanese version.

There's a few more of these that the cutting room floor makes no mention of. I might make some entries with these when I get the text "extracted". :)

mystery_editor

• Mmm... Pi
    • View Profile
From my Japanese-Linguistic's partner (paraphrased from a convo we had):

"Kanji doesn't have a root in sleep, so would be more likely about returning from a confused or mentally unsound state rather then awakening. More likely about the returning to a normal state of mind."

So luksy'd be spot on I think.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
I have a minor in Japanese and understand kanji just passibly (like calling someone "baka" literally means "horse-deer" and has several possible origins). I had not come across the word "shouki" before and wasn't sure how to interpret it, but I know it has to do with "correct mind" and not "10 duodecilion airs". :) Also any good anime watcher knows that "ki" refers to spiritual energy and thus could represent "awakeness", but that would be a bit of a stretch.

SO! I have learned three things from this:

1) My theory on how the Japanese game handles kanji is correct (though I'm sure someone could have clued me into this :) ). Kanji entries are prefixed with a value between FA - FD (hex) and probably only range between 0 - 209 (maybe as high as 230) per "sheet".

2) There are several texts that are in the KERNEL.BIN file that are not used, but still exist like this one. These need to be added to the tcrf.net page on FF7 (which makes no mention of battle texts that aren't used even though materia is and the source file would be the same).

3) There is an entire "sheet" of unused kanji in the texture file. At least, the battle texts don't use it. I don't want to take the time to parse all the field files to find if they are used in there. It's possible that it's just some standard kanji table of the most used kanji (just over 840 or so) that got dumped into a single image. Maybe they are all used in field files.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
https://drive.google.com/file/d/16vUnHDIPwnCCxXpn4j7gti1a4tZi66c-/view?usp=sharing

It should work like that for the used kanji - if like the dialogue.  I created this a while back from Glitterberri's read outs.  See sheet 1.

Not sure that helps you at all.
« Last Edit: 2018-06-11 09:31:59 by DLPB »

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
I could CRY that is so helpful!

I can fill in those blank kanji since I'm using the font texture to reference the characters.

The battle text can't use "sheet" FE because that's a special code to change the color of the window. That does explain why there was an extra sheet.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Check those kanji too because there were issues originally - I think gemini dumped them wrong.  But since I created this from Glitterberri's we should be ok.